DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

I am so grateful for these boards after buying our 1st 160 point BLT contract direct then looking to buy resale we realized the price difference between direct and resale back then was about 10.00PP and direct did not have closing cost so we opted to add on a 60 point contract and a 65 point contract vs. 125 points. In hind sight I really wish I had done that 2 more times since eventually I want to add on another 150 - 200 points to BLT but smaller contract would be better, and still resale is only about 10.00 less then what we paid direct - yet smaller contracts with a certain UY is like a needle in a haystack!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
I am so grateful for these boards after buying our 1st 160 point BLT contract direct then looking to buy resale we realized the price difference between direct and resale back then was about 10.00PP and direct did not have closing cost so we opted to add on a 60 point contract and a 65 point contract vs. 125 points. In hind sight I really wish I had done that 2 more times since eventually I want to add on another 150 - 200 points to BLT but smaller contract would be better, and still resale is only about 10.00 less then what we paid direct - yet smaller contracts with a certain UY is like a needle in a haystack!
It's definitely been tough to find the right contract resale, that's for sure! We caved and decided o go direct instead. I wish that we could have made resale work to our advantage, but getting something you really don't want just to "save money" isn't really saving enough in my eyes. We are adding on specifically because we want VWL, not just to get more points. If this was just to bulk up on points, I would gladly snatch up a SSR resale contract! There's tons of them!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

rusafee1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

We really looked at two things. One how many we thought we needed and two, what the cost of MF's over time would be. We started small deliberately to test the waters and really determine our need knowing we would likely be adding on within a year.

Currently we own at SSR and BWV and were debating BWV versus Vero for adding on for our 3rd and final (?) contract. Initial investment aside, the MF's are universal no matter how you buy your points. I couldn't get past what those Vero dues looked like about a decade in and the total of the 3 combined, had we done Vero, just didn't work.

We will have 3 contracts at equal amounts of points (105 each) once our BWV waitlist goes through. Heaven only knows when that will be.

Bottom line is everyone can make the math work to their advantage and as long as you are happy with what you did, and informed, then it's the right choice for you. We will have bought direct each time. For me, renting when those funds could have simply gone to the "differential" between resale and direct, or skipping a trip (or two) because the contract was stripped wasn't saving anything worthwhile in my mind. Add in the fact I could never find what I wanted without getting more points than I needed or wanted and direct was best for us.

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-23-2013 at 10:47 PM.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #19
Irishmom23
DIS Veteran
Some Tag Fairies are IRISH themselves! :-D

Currently own at SSR (250 points) and BCV (75 points) and on the waiting list for HH 60 points (direct through Disney before the price hike) It was difficult to find small add-ons through resale so bought 50 points SSR and 75 points BCV direct after chasing several resale contracts and being outbid or wasn't quick enough.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We bought 200 OKW points in 2006 because they were the cheapest WDW resort at that time (SSR was still selling new at @$100/point). We lived in NC at the time and our kids were elementary school age. We planned to go to WDW at least once/year (drive there). Our kids were in year round and we planned to go in Sept...so 200 points was plenty. Then, we moved to MD 9/1/2007 and soon realized that our annual trips to WDW would not be as plausible (too long a drive and airfare for 5 ). We listed our contract but really didn't want to sell all 200 points (but you can't break contracts up), so MIL and FIL mentioned that they were wanting to buy some points and they paid us to use 100 of our 200 OKW points each year.

Fast forward to 2011 and we realize that we would like to do a trip to HH every 2 or 3 years and MIL and FIL are really using about 130-140 of our 200 points (they fell in love with 1BR villas at OKW-HH). So in Dec we start looking and add on 2 HH contracts (25 and 50 points from same seller). We also like cruising and figured we'd do 3 year rotations (cruise, WDW, HH...repeat). We also only do 4-6 night trips due to our kids' crazy schedules and DH's busy work. Next thing you know, we realize we like to do 2-3 of these short trips per year (so out with the 3 year rotation plan). Basically 5 trips in a 2 year period and of these 5 trips we will do 3 of these using our DVC points (so 2 trips to WDW in one year using APs and then a beach trip, VB or HH, the following year...with a cruise per year sprinkled in). So, this past Dec we start looking for another add on and after a couple failures at adding onto our HH points, we add on 100 AKV points (we like to go to WDW with inlaws and SIL1 owns AKV and SSR and we don't like staying at SSR and she doesn't like staying at our OKW...so we added on AKV and, also, we now can book the value villas and save points).

OK...so now at 375 points with 3 home resorts...we are done...right? Well, after 2 trips to WDW in 2013, we plan to go back to HH next year (Aug 2014). I add up the points we'll need for a 2BR for 5 or 6 nights and we just don't have enough (only have enough for 4 nights). DH wasn't really wanting to add on anymore, but I won out when a perfect resale popped up (50 HH Aug UY points with no points until 2014 (we would not be able to use '12 points for an 8/14 trip). We are in ROFR on that and will have 425 points...130-140 of which MIL and FIL use and we also book a studio for SIL2 upon occasion (when we go for Xmas which seems to now be a biennial trip)....will have about 175/year for inlaws and 250/year for us. We still will always be in borrowing mode.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 04-24-2013 at 06:41 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

We had initially purchased 220 points at BLT. However, we LOVE Hawaii but didn't want the bulk of our points to be there since it is so expensive to fly there. We ended up adding on a small 60 point contract at Aulani so we can go every three years. We only have enough Aulani points for a studio for a week, but we are fine with that. Plus, we figure we can always book the studio at 11 months and switch at 7 months if availability is there. We are happy that we added on a smaller number of points and think it will work out wonderfully. Now, if I can just talk DH into a small add on in California, all will be perfect. Lol!

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
ngchiro
Mouseketeer

It should thin out in a year or two also b
ngchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
goodtmz37
Earning My Ears

We decided on 240, both because it accommodates both where we like to stay and what we can afford. If we have a little extra, we can either bank the points or rent them out. But we first wanted to make sure we were not spending more money than we would have already spent had we not joined DVC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: