Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm caught up. Boy, you did take that rope drop thing seriously...7:15 for an 8am opening! Nice work.

Your cheetah picture is probably the best one I've seen, they're usually asleep.

Fantasmic is very hard (almost impossible) to get a good picture of.

I'm glad you folks liked Star Tours, very cute what your daughter said after the ride when she rode with you.

Oh yeah, I can see that meltdown happening like what you (or I should say your son and husband) experienced before entering MK. But I'm with you, I would've felt weird trying to get through the crowd so probably would've stayed back too.

Looking forward to more.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Joining in! And wanted to say hello from another Kansan (we live in Lawrence)!!
dawnmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #33
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Okay, I'm caught up. Boy, you did take that rope drop thing seriously...7:15 for an 8am opening! Nice work.

Your cheetah picture is probably the best one I've seen, they're usually asleep.

Fantasmic is very hard (almost impossible) to get a good picture of.

I'm glad you folks liked Star Tours, very cute what your daughter said after the ride when she rode with you.

Oh yeah, I can see that meltdown happening like what you (or I should say your son and husband) experienced before entering MK. But I'm with you, I would've felt weird trying to get through the crowd so probably would've stayed back too.

Looking forward to more.
Hahahaha, I'm a bit neurotic about being on time (read: early) to things. It was our first day at a park, and dog gone it I was going to be there early. I did let up a little as the week went on, but not much. I like to be in the front of the lines.

Yeah, the MK entrance meltdown was ugly. I'm just not an assertive person, I would have probably died of embarrassment trying to bust through everyone to get to my husband. I thought about asking a CM to let me in the other side of the tunnel (where they were letting early ADRs in) to meet up with husband at the other end, but alas....too scared. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmichele View Post
Joining in! And wanted to say hello from another Kansan (we live in Lawrence)!!
You're not far from us! We're at Ft. Riley!

Disneyland- June 2003-CL at Disneyland Hotel
WDW - March 2013 - Shades of Green
Planning for November 2015...going through the exciting process of picking a resort

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!
deannaf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

More Magic Kingdom Explorin'

Time for another update, I spent most of my day reading mickeystoontown's TR.

Time to continue on with mine. When I left off we were heading from Fantasyland to Frontierland for Splash and Big Thunder Mountain.

For some reason we walked out of Fantasyland through Cinderella's castle, then took the bridge to Liberty Square to get to Frontierland.

Got this picture of the pretty tarp facades.

As you can see, the crowds were still pretty low.

March 19th was the first day Splash was supposed to reopen after it's refurb. For some reason, I got the impression it was still closed when we got over there around 9:45.

So Daniel and Audrey hopped on Big Thunder Mountain, and I grabbed a child swap ticket.

Ezra waiting for the "big kid" rides to be over

I want more Fantasyland!

BTMR was reading 10 minute wait time

Soon enough Daniel and Audrey were back and it was my turn. Audrey LOVED BTMR so I asked the CM at the entrance if she could ride again, he said sure since the crowds were so low that morning.

It was so much fun riding with Audrey. She had her hands up and was giggling the entire time.

When we got off, Daniel informed me that Splash was indeed open. I don't know why I thought it was closed! By that time the wait was around 30 or 45 minutes, so we grabbed some handy dandy fast passes.

It was probably around 10:15 at this point and we were hungry already. We had meandered back into the Liberty Square area, and Daniel decided he wanted to eat at Columbia Harbour House, which didn't open until 10:30.

We had a little time to kill, so we headed over to Haunted Mansion, which had a 5 minute wait.

Audrey was VERY apprehensive about this ride, as I would guess most five year olds are about anything "haunted". I really wanted us all to ride together, so I resorted to good old fashioned bribery. I told her if she rode it, she could pick out a stuffed animal before we left the park.

She agreed to these terms and we headed in. I rode the Disneyland Haunted Mansion in 2003, so knew what to expect in the stretch room. I told her to hold on tight to us and not look up. She screamed when the lights went out, but I assured her that was the scariest part.

Audrey waiting to for Haunted Mansion.

We then headed for the conveyor to load our doombuggy. Audrey and I hopped in one and Ezra was on my lap, for some reason Daniel didn't get in that one. He was in a doombuggy behind us all by himself

We ended up getting stuck right before we reached the bride. I seem to recall getting stuck more than once on the DLR Haunted Mansion, so I guess a few stalls on HM are pretty common.

Audrey really loved the Haunted Mansion and said it was one of her favorite rides. The Haunted Mansion in DLR was one of my favorites. I don't know if the versions are that different, or if my tastes have changed in 10 years, but WDW HM was just kind of ehh to me haha. Which is weird since I couldn't point out any discernible differences.

By the time our haunted adventure was over, it still wasn't quite 10:30. Our Splash FP time was drawing near, but we weren't ready to head that way yet. We decided to head to New Fantasyland to grab some fast passes for Little Mermaid.

We made it all the way to the Under the Sea, when I seeemed to recall reading that the Fast Passes for that ride were located somewhere else. Sure enough, I spotted a sign that said something along the lines of "FP for LM are located near Philharmagic". So we backtracked to that area and grabbed some fast passes.

It was then 10:30, so we headed to Columbia Harbour House and beat the lunch crowd. We were the first patrons of the day.
:
Daniel had wanted to eat at Columbia Harbour House, and what did he order? The chicken nuggets. Gotta love him.

I ordered the Garden Harvest Salad, which I loved. Audrey got a PB&J, and I ordered Ezra some mac and cheese (duh!).

We enjoyed the practically empty restaurant (I think maybe 1 other family came in while we were there), but were in a hurry to get out of there. It was time to use our Splash Mountain fast passes.

I looooved Splash Mountain when I went on it at Disneyland, so I grabbed Audrey's hand and left Ezra with Daniel before he could protest haha. We were waiting in a relatively crammed FP line, when the CM asked for 2 riders. No one in front of us raised there hand, so I volunteered and were on a boat before we knew it.

Audrey was loving the singing creatures and we were having a grand time, until we stopped.

I can't tell you how many times we heard “Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causing some kind of commotion downstream.”

The view from our stuck area.

Eventually we were moving again and we dropped the big drop. Unfortunately it scared the heck out of Audrey.

She has a really big fear of going under water and for some reason thought we were going to go under. By the time we were on our way to disembark the boat, she was in full hysterics.

I asked her if she was okay and she said rather dramatically, "I WAS TERRIFIED!!!"

We exited the boat and found Daniel and Ezra. Daniel's fast pass was 5 minutes over the latest return time. I thought they probably would have let him in the FP line had he explained that we got stuck, but he didn't want to risk him getting stuck too. Plus there was no way Audrey was getting back on that ride, so we moved on.

It was time for an Under the Sea Adventure. This was definitely a favorite of mine. Audrey and I rode in a clam shell together.

I promise she was much more excited than that picture shows

The rain and Splash Mountain really did a number on my hair.

Our tummies were full, the rain had stopped, and the crowds were still low....what would we do next?

Next Update

Planning for November 2015...going through the exciting process of picking a resort

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!

Last edited by deannaf87; 04-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #35
gatormommy07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaf87 View Post

Hahaha thank you! With a 1 year old, can you really leave the house without a stock pile of sacrificial food?
lol! My kids are now 10, 9 and 5 and still have to bribe them with food to behave sometimes!! Now I keep my 15 month old nephew a few days a week, and can't go anywhere with out a snack or five to keep him occupied!! My brother told me the other day that he was grocery shopping with the baby and had some Ritz crackers for him, and every once in a while Trev would shove a cracker into my brother's mouth, so he wasn't thinking when the last one the baby gave him was covered in drool, it was so funny and gross to hear at the same time!! Trevor takes after me and my kids, I did that to my dad loads of times when I was his age. And I can't count how many times my babies wanted to be "nice" and shared food with me and my husband!!
Your daughter's reaction to HM and Splash remind me of my daughter. The first time we went on HM she flipped out in the stretch room. So the next time we went, about a year or so after that, we told her to yell "Go Gators!!" as loud as she could when it got dark, everyone in the room with us burst out laughing, and were saying how cute it was! She now loves the Haunted Mansion, it is a big favorite of all of ours!

Last edited by gatormommy07; 04-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.
gatormommy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Dumbo and Dole Whips

We had done so much that day, but the crowds were still so low. We decided to stay and do all we could until before the kid's dropped.

So from Under the Sea, we headed towards Storybook Circus. The wait for Dumbo was minimal, so we hopped in line.

We choose to "fly" instead of "play", since there really wasn't a wait.

In no time we were boarding our elephants, and I snapped a few "selfies" of Ezra and I.

Blurry picture of Daniel and Audrey.

That ride was so stinkin' cute. Ezra enjoyed himself, but was sure to hold on extra tight to me.

When we hopped off, we decided to check out the gift shop right across from Dumbo. I think it was called "Big Top Gifts", or something of the sort.

Audrey remembered her bribe for riding Haunted Mansion, and was on a mission to find a stuffed animal. For some reason she was determined to find a Marie, from The Aristocats. Which is odd, because I'm not sure she's ever seen The Aristocats.

She found a Marie that came with a little blanket. You can kind of see it here.

I went to pick out a ear hat for Ezra. We decided on the Sorcerer Mickey one, and got his name monogrammed on the back.

Daniel was checking out Disney themed board games, and wanted me to decide on a version of Monopoly. After about 2 minutes, we decided we didn't really play board games. Not sure why he was set on getting one.

So after our shopping trip, we decided to skip Barnstormer, since the wait was pretty nutty, and Ezra couldn't go on it.

We headed back into Fantasyland and got in line for It's a Small World. Well, I should say we just walked in and got on a boat lol.

Audrey holding tight to Marie.

My camera battery was dying at this point, and I missed out on the most adorable picture. It came out blurry since the camera was on it's last leg.

Audrey had her arm around Ezra. It was so precious. They rode the entire ride like that.

I pulled out my phone to take pictures, since the camera was kaput.

Ride pics

Daniel kept commenting on all the coins in the water. He was like "There is probably at least $1,000 in there!" It's the little things that excite him, lol.

We disembarked our voyage around the world of tiny singing children, and headed towards my favorite MK land.

Oh hey, I just realized Daniel is in that picture. He's always leaving me behind with his fast "Army ruck march" walk. These short legs only go so fast.

We walked over towards Jungle Cruise and grabbed some fast passes. We debated on the flying carpets ride, but decided on heading to Pirates of the Caribbean first.

The wait at PoC was 5 minutes, which was pretty accurate. We got on our boat and took off. I think everyone else in my family was surprised by the drop, haha. Ezra held on tight to me, Audrey screamed, and Daniel was like "that was awesome". I'm telling you people, he enjoys the little things.

This was one of Daniel's favorites. He liked the rides we all got to ride together, and Pirates is fun. I rode PoC in Disneyland and it was one of my favorites back then. I do have to say DL PoC is a a little bit better than WDW version.

I remember being amazed by how it felt like you were outside, but you weren't at the DL PoC. We also ate at Blue Bayou, that's the right name huh?, and that was super cool.

Still, we really enjoyed WDW PoC. Once we got off we looked around the gift shop. Daniel bought a Jake and the Neverland Pirates DVD. Remember how I told you we bought the kids a DVD player for the car? Well we didn't have any DVDs with us, so we had to buy a few. At this point, all we had was Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Clifford the Big Red Dog, and Wreck It Ralph. Daniel and I were pretty tired of listening to the same movies over and over again, so he expanded their collection.

We checked out and utilized the bathroom facilities. Then it was time to use our Jungle Cruise fast passes.

This was another favorite. Our guide was hilarious and had great timing with the corny jokes.

Pictures of us on the boat....

After our cruise, we were feeling pretty tired. We decided it was time to hit some shops on Main Street then head for the hotel.

But first, I wanted to try a Dole Whip, so we made a pit stop at Aloha Isle. Don't stone me, but I could do without the Dole Whip Now I know.

After our quick rest, we headed towards Main Street and hit the Emporium. Audrey picked out a shirt right away, which I somehow do not have a picture of.

I quickly picked out Ezra's. One year old boys are delightfully easy to shop for.

Daniel picked out a pair of grey sweatpants with the WDW logo. He grabbed the XL, which later had to be returned for a large, because WHOA those things were gigantic.

Now my decision was a different story. I saw a cute red, v-neck, 2013 shirt in the window I liked. Once I found the rack with those shirts, they were out of mediums. I decided to try on a small and uhhhh wow. Anyone else think Disney women's shirts run small, or am I just delusional about my size?

After that disaster, I was back at square one. I could tell Daniel was getting annoyed, so I tried to make a decision. I was "this" close to getting a retro style shirt, but at the last minute spotted a black shirt with the castle, tree of life, SSE, and sorcerer hat in a pretty silver, shiny print. I grabbed a medium and prayed it fit. It did, thank the Lord.

I'll have to wait on my photopass CD to get in to share pictures of the shirt. It's my new favorite thing to wear. Gotta love the color black's slimming effects.

With our purchases made, we headed towards the monorail and back to Shades of Green for a delightfully wonderful nap.

That was seriously the best day I've ever had, haha. Forget the birth of my children, I was in serious pain on those days Experiencing low crowds the first day you take your kids to Magic Kingdom is way better. We really had non existent waits for everything we did that day, and we did A LOT!

That evening we drove off property and had dinner at Outback Steakhouse. When we got back I tried to convince Daniel we needed to go back to MK in the evening for the parade and fireworks since the forecast was calling for thunderstorms Friday (the day we planned to do night entertainment at MK). He was not feeling it and wanted to stay in. I told him if it rained Friday, and we missed the parade and fireworks, he was never going to live it down. *Foreshadowing* So we stayed in that evening in preparation for our non-Disney day the next day. We were heading to Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Day 3 in Review

Weather: rainy in the morning, but perfectly cool the rest of the day
Highs: Pretty much everything. Especially the no long waits part. Special emphasis on Audrey being brave on Haunted Mansion and BTMR and family fun on Jungle Cruise, PoC, and It's a Small World.
Lows: Rope drop meltdown, Splash Mountain meltdown, and Disney's ridiculously small size small shirts haha.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #37
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this TR anymore, but I suppose I should finish it for the sake of finishing what I've started.

A few RL updates:

-We're moving to Washington DC March 2014, Daniel has been assigned to Walter Reed.
-I'm getting my CPA license. I take the first section July 29th...yikes! Been studying like crazy.
-The kids and I are moving to TX next month until our move to DC. Daniel will be in training. The packers come July 8th !! So soon!

Our day at Islands of Adventure, coming up.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Wizarding World of Harry Potter

We arrived at Universal about oh and hour before opening, surprise surprise.

My husband paid for preferred parking because he apparently thinks were richer than we really are.

We made our way towards the IOA gate on the cool moving walkways, which we later realized you weren't supposed to take strollers on. Whoops.

We made it to the gate and decided to spring for the Express Passes. Then we waited for the park to open.

Our first destination was of course, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I had become so accustomed to WDW's hub and spoke designs that IOA's circular design tripped me out. Why am I walking through 2 other "lands" to get to WWOHP. AUGHHHH.

We made it and Daniel jumped in line for the Forbidden Journey while I waited with the kids outside. We weren't aware there was a child swap lounge by the ride loading area. Next time we'll know!

When he got in line the wait time was at 10 minutes. He rode in the single rider line, and by the time he was out and I got in line the wait was 45 minutes. I used the single rider line too and was on the ride in less than 10 minutes.

A few pictures

Waiting for daddy to get back

Daniel was so happy to be at Hogwarts

Let's talk about the Forbidden Journey.....

I'm fairly certain I peed my pants on this ride. I've never been so close to the animatronics before. I'm not sure I liked it! The spider/dragon/whomping willow/dementor combo were terrifying. I screamed like a little girl. A+ for the ride though. It was amazing. Definitely the high point of IOA. Next time I'll just be sure I don't ride alone.

After our Forbidden Journey, Daniel and Audrey rode Flight of the Hippogriff. Then we headed to Hogsmeade for some butter beer. The crowds in WWOHP were already pretty crazy.

Lovely crane

Sirius Black

In front of Three Broomsticks

Honeydukes

Chocolate frog

So happy

This was definitely Daniel's day, and he decided he was ready to go ride The Hulk, yikes!

Old 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #39
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

I'm reading and enjoying your TR!

My DD13 and I finally did IOA last October and loved WWoHP! We went in early Oct. and there weren't really any crowds. Rode FJ 7 times that day! DD had 2 butterbeers (1 for free!) and we ate at 3 Broomsticks-Yummy Shepards Pie. We were there from open to close that day 9-7.

Happy Girl with the magic ticket!

I can't wait to go back and now that my DNephew is working there (as well as FOTLK) maybe we can see both Universal Parks. My heart still belongs to Disney though.

I agree with you about the layout-it was a long way around and no short cuts!

Can't wait to read more. Did you get your PP CD?

Last edited by Dizneydaz; 06-16-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneydaz View Post
I'm reading and enjoying your TR!

My DD13 and I finally did IOA last October and loved WWoHP! We went in early Oct. and there weren't really any crowds. Rode FJ 7 times that day! DD had 2 butterbeers (1 for free!) and we ate at 3 Broomsticks-Yummy Shepards Pie. We were there from open to close that day 9-7.

Happy Girl with the magic ticket!

I can't wait to go back and now that my DNephew is working there (as well as FOTLK) maybe we can see both Universal Parks. My heart still belongs to Disney though.

I agree with you about the layout-it was a long way around and no short cuts!

Can't wait to read more. Did you get your PP CD?
I did! I'll have to upload those ASAP. There are some REALLY cute ones of my daughter with Tinkerbell!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #41
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaf87 View Post
I did! I'll have to upload those ASAP. There are some REALLY cute ones of my daughter with Tinkerbell!
Looking forward to seeing them! Treasure this time with your small ones. Before you know it they'll be teenagers and it won't be as cool to hang out with mom and dad.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #42
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Photo1230FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1232FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1249FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1257FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1263FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1269FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1343FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1348FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1351FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Can you tell Audrey couldn't care less that we were taking pictures? Her only concern was Dole Whip.

Photo1355FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Photo1356FourBySix by dfrisby87, on Flickr

Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #43
militarymomto5
Earning My Ears

Hey! Just found this report! Would the dr you met happen to have a last name starting with brod? Don't want to publish the rest for privacy purposes! We're army medical and are planning or first trip to Disney in dec for an predeployment trip. Catching up now, loving your story so far!
militarymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: