Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

We're here! (at OKW for our anniversary)

We requested one of 4 buildings, and got one of them. And since it's a straight view of the 6th hole, and Guy's a golfer, I guess that means we're not moving off this balcony for long this week. But last night I got him to Epcot to have dinner at Biergarten. It was fun as usual, but Epcot seemed much more crowded than in previous trips at this time of year (we almost always come for our anniversary, so this is a "typical" time for us). For anyone interested, this morning when I showered, I noted that there's one bottle each of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. And just one coffee pack, so this afternoon, we're going to the local Dunkin Donuts for donuts (duh!) and coffee. Guy's at Osprey Ridge right now, and pretty soon I'm headed to AK, looking for 15th anniversary souvenirs as well as my usual KS trip. Tomorrow DHS, then meeting Guy (after he golfs again) for lunch at Sci Fi. Maybe we'll get lucky and get to ride TSMM. Then tomorrow night we're heading to Epcot and the Village People with friends.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a plan! Have a great time. Happy Anniversary!
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2014: SSR & OKW - December
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
stink
Mouseketeer

Enjoyed reading your live report. Are you in a studio or 1 bedroom ?

Look forward to reading more live reports !
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Simba's Mom

Got a 1 BR. I'll admit to being spoiled about 1 BRs. IMO, studios are only OK for solo trips. Got a studio once for DH and me, and complained all week.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
iloveokw
DIS Veteran

Talking

Happy Anniversary! Have fun...totally agree about studios. Wouldn't have bought DVC to stay in a studio
iloveokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Simba's Mom

Well, I went to AK today and found out some interesting things about the 15th anniversary souvenirs. A CM at one of the shops said that, unfortunately, nothing's available until that day (the 22nd). And even then, nothing will be on the shelfs. People will be supplied with a paper list of available souvenirs (I think they mentioned the pin, a cell phone case, and I don't know what else). They check off what they want, then give the filled out paper to the CM at the cash register. The CM will then go to the back room and get what's requested, filling the request. The CM, when he was explaining this, didn't seem too fond of this plan. Unfortunately, I'm not going to AK again until Tuesday, and it doesn't seem I'll be able to buy any 15th Anniversary souvenirs then. I went to Kilimanjaro Safari and Panjani Forest Exploration Trail, then met DH at Olivia's for lunch. After lunch we (gasp!) "left Disney to go to Dunkin Donuts, Walgreen's (where we picked up a few staples), and an off-site souvenir shop. Since we were still full from a late lunch, we just snacked for dinner. I'm a little discouraged that several lamps wouldn't work, a ground fault outlet is malfunctioning, and the door handle on the door from the Master BR to the back porch is broken. Discouraging especially since OKW is newly renovated. Tomorrow-Hollywood Studios and Sci Fi for lunch.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Simba's Mom

Well, I've learned 2 things since yesterday morning -
#1 You can't see the Epcot fireworks from building 17
#2 Don't leave any food on the balcony, even for a second
I left my Dunkin Donut on the balcony just for a second while I ran in to grab my camera. Meanwhile an Ibis swooped in and almost grabbed my donut tip I yelled at him. Then the Ibis sat on a balcony chair watching me (and the donut) as I sat and ate. I felt bad for the little girl in a nearby villa who was so afraid as an Ibis sat on her balcony railing, she screamed and refused to come out. Oh, and although I've been up over an hour, I've only seen about 3 groups of golfers go by. For last minute golf, I think Lake Buena Vista is the place to get on.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
stink
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the update !

How many can the balcony seat ?

I have never stayed at OKW and am considering it for a future trip.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

We are staying at OKW in July. Would love to hear any info you've got! Enjoy your trip.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

I know the feeling with leaving things out on the balcony....have had a few things swiped off. I tell the kids all the time to keep things in the house!

Just got back from the Beach Club and witnessed a squirrel digging in the garbage and came out with a box of 1/2 eaten chicken tenders!!!

cheryl

Oh, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

congrats on your annivarsery my DW and I will be there in OKW in Jan celebrating our 20th.

So here is a odd question for you, do you have an door connecting to another room/lock off in your room?

If so could you measure it for me? I am trying to come up with something that will block the noise from the connecting room. I have a plan but need to work out the details. If you measure the door and this works out for me I will make you one for free for your future trips

if not no biggie and again congrats on your 15 years

Enjoy your trip

Dave Goofydad Dionne
Been there done that got the t-shirt and going back
goofydad621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Simba's Mom

OK, by measure, you want the height and width of the door?

Today we went to Epcot and sampled some of the F&G food offerings, and I did my trip to the Twinings tea shoppe. For once, the crowds were low today. We had shrimp and grits, watermelon salad, spring pancake, pork BBQ sandwich, and rocky road mousse. All was well, but the RR Mousse was way too much, for the richness and chocolateness, and this is from a chocoholic! Then we went to DTD for grandchildren gifts, Ghiardelli, and a Larry Dotson picture. Tonight just a CS, probably something healthy after all the "junk" today.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

In for your report.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Happy anniversary!
We are staying at OKW in October - last time I just played it safe and booked near the hospitality house. This time I could not get HH, so I am hoping you can give me some suggestions on which buildings I should request. Can you see fireworks from some of the OKW buildings?
Thanks and have fun!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
BigEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Simba's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Happy anniversary!
We are staying at OKW in October - last time I just played it safe and booked near the hospitality house. This time I could not get HH, so I am hoping you can give me some suggestions on which buildings I should request. Can you see fireworks from some of the OKW buildings?
Thanks and have fun!
Interestingly, I commented to DH that I think this area is as close to the HH as some of the HH buildings. We're in building 17. For the foreseeable future we'd like this area. Unfortunately, we can't see Illuminations from here, but I think you can from 16 and 18 if I remember right.

stink, one reason I love OKW is that it has the largest balcony. You can easily seat four people around the table that's on the porch. In addition, you could probably have a couple others standing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: