Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
operationremie
Mouseketeer
 
operationremie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 106

How many long races do you do near each other

So I'm doing the ING Hartford Half Marathon on October 12th. Very excited about it. But I found a half marathon that's taking place on September 15th that I really want to do cause it's right near my house. My training would have me be doing long runs up until the week before the Hartford race, which would include doing 12-13 mile runs once a week. If I switched my training days up for that week and did my long run on that Sunday instead, do you think it'd be good? I don't plan on killing myself doing it and will definitely take my time but I think it'd be fun to do this other half.

What are your thoughts on it? Like I said, my training schedule has me doing a long run on Friday. For that weekend, I'd probably take that Friday off, giving my body like 3 days rest before it. I'd have to change that one week after the September race.
__________________
-Jeremie

My Training Blog: http://ageekintraining.blogspot.com/
Total Miles in 2013: 235.84
2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

operationremie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
kimber23
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 66

I would actually skip the long run the week before the race. I always allow at least a week and a half between my last long run (usually 12-13 miles) and the race. It gives your body a chance to fully recover and you don't run the risk of injury during the long run. I still do shorter "maintenance" runs (4-5 miles) during that week and a half. Hope that helps!
__________________
runDisney addict
Disneyland Half 2011, 2012, 2013 (Dumbo)
Tinker Bell 2014 (Half, 10k & 5k) Eeek!
Wine & Dine 2014

Running Blog: http://www.domesticgoddessconfessions.blogspot.com/
kimber23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
fashionista311
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 654

Are you talking about the Lightfoot Half in Norwalk? I've run it a few times...it's really not that much more exciting than a supported training run. It's tough to race because there's few aid stations, roads aren't closed to traffic, no timing chips, and the course is deceptively tough.

But to answer your question, I think it's totally fine to use it as a training run as long as you don't go out too fast. My typical long run is 12 miles, so I sign up for half marathons as training runs all the time...I just try not to do it TOO often, because it kinda gets expensive to sign up for races and not run them fast when I can (and often do) just run the same distance around my neighborhood for free

I agree about building in a taper for a half, especially if your goal is to run fast. I'm finishing out a training cycle now for a race that's in two weeks. Been averaging 45-50 miles/week. Next week I come down to around 32 miles for the week, and then I'll have a really light week before the race.
fashionista311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
scoolover
DIS Veteran
 
scoolover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gales Ferry, CT
Posts: 1,382

Surftown? I have heard that it's a good one.
__________________
Scott



scoolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
operationremie
Mouseketeer
 
operationremie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolover View Post
Surftown? I have heard that it's a good one.
yea, it's surftown. i enjoy running the hartford marathon foundation runs.
__________________
-Jeremie

My Training Blog: http://ageekintraining.blogspot.com/
Total Miles in 2013: 235.84
2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

operationremie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
FireDancer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 13,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationremie View Post
So I'm doing the ING Hartford Half Marathon on October 12th. Very excited about it. But I found a half marathon that's taking place on September 15th that I really want to do cause it's right near my house. My training would have me be doing long runs up until the week before the Hartford race, which would include doing 12-13 mile runs once a week. If I switched my training days up for that week and did my long run on that Sunday instead, do you think it'd be good? I don't plan on killing myself doing it and will definitely take my time but I think it'd be fun to do this other half.

What are your thoughts on it? Like I said, my training schedule has me doing a long run on Friday. For that weekend, I'd probably take that Friday off, giving my body like 3 days rest before it. I'd have to change that one week after the September race.
A week between halves is plenty of time. I plan on doing halves July 21, August 4, September 15, October 5th, and October 27th. Just be smart and know your limits. If you can't race them both treat one like a training run and race the other. Every training plan can be tweaked to incorporate more races.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
dlbwright
DIS Veteran
 
dlbwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 1,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationremie View Post
yea, it's surftown. i enjoy running the hartford marathon foundation runs.
Ok Remie, this one is now definitely on my radar. Scenery sounds beautiful! Not to far of a either.
__________________
Diana
dlbwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,109

I know everyone is different. I've been running 25 miles or so per week for about 18 months now. I've only been running for about 30 months. In 2013, I've already run a full marathon, 3 half-marathons, a 5k and a 4 mile trail run.

I typically run 2 weeks of longer weekend runs with a 3rd week with a shorter long run. My long runs are usually 12-20 miles depending on what race I'm training for. I did 3 half marathons in a 7 week period, but I had at least one week off between them.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
FFigawi
DIS Veteran
 
FFigawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 1,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
A week between halves is plenty of time. I plan on doing halves July 21, August 4, September 15, October 5th, and October 27th. Just be smart and know your limits. If you can't race them both treat one like a training run and race the other. Every training plan can be tweaked to incorporate more races.
I'd change this to read "every training plan should be tweaked to incorporate more races." Racing is a great way to test your fitness, challenge yourself to do better than you thought possible, or even get a medal for what normally would be a training run.
__________________
Cheers,

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Duanerice
DIS Veteran
 
Duanerice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft Myers Florida
Posts: 1,017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I'd change this to read "every training plan should be tweaked to incorporate more races." Racing is a great way to test your fitness, challenge yourself to do better than you thought possible, or even get a medal for what normally would be a training run.
I agree with John. We train to race (if only my budget would cooperate). I just did a 70.3 this past weekend but have my A 70.3 race on May 19. So I treated the New Orleans race as a great training day. I did a normal swim then waited for a friend to bike with. A little slower bike with him then ran with someone else about a min per mile slower than I would normally run. It was a good workout but also didn't ruin my training for the next 3 weeks.

I'd say race all you can just treat some of them like catered training runs.
Duane
__________________
New Orleans 70.3 April 2013
Haines City 70.3 May 2013
Austin 70.3 October 2013
Goofy January 2014

Last edited by Duanerice; 04-26-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.