Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #31
FlyingElephant
Earning My Ears

I really want to believe this, but I just don't know. FD is hopefully coming, but there are so many conflicting sources. On a side note, the author of this thread said that the cast member told them that FD makes their job harder. How so?
FlyingElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
DolewhipPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElephant View Post
I really want to believe this, but I just don't know. FD is hopefully coming, but there are so many conflicting sources. On a side note, the author of this thread said that the cast member told them that FD makes their job harder. How so?

as a former cast member, i worked in one of the qs restaurants.

I can tell you that free dining definitely made my job a lot harder.

1. A lot of people got free dining, but show up to the parks without any idea how it works and then proceed to tell you how stupid it is that they can't get x, y, or z on the plan and basically yell at you when you are just doing your job and cant give them chili on their hotdog because it isnt included.

2. you have to explain what the customer can get on the dining plan to almost every guest that comes through the line, which isn;t a big deal until you have said the same things 50-100x.

3. when there is free dining, more people will eat in in park restaurants, which makes them busier. which means more work for cms.

4. also people will get the free dining and not realize until they get there that they should have made reservations and take it out on any cm that is anywhere near them.

i understand the frustration that guests can have when they dont understand what they have or dont agree with policies, etc. and working at disney, you have to love to help people and generally just love your job.

I did and I would go back in a heart beat if they paid more. but during free dining after you have the same argument with 20+ customers in a day, you just learn to loathe free dining season.
DolewhipPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
ShellyL
Mouseketeer

The other day I called DW to ask if there was a pin attached to my name and there wasn't. I told the CM I was talking to that I was hoping for Free Dining in the fall but I had heard that there was not going to be any. I told her I was worried because we really plan on it and she told me not to give up hope, new specials will be coming out. I said again that I will be hoping for free dining and she said well you can always watch for specials. I am hoping she was hinting that it is coming.
ShellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
danny25
I love Disney and Iīm friend of STICH

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post

Hi, Danny! Hope you are having a great weekend.
it was very good, thank you and hope that yours was great too, I wish you and your family a Magical Week
danny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Danny25 just said on a brand new thread "no news" and recommended not listening or getting hopes up based on anyone saying they heard someone say discount is coming, spoke to a CM, etc.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
danny25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolewhipPrincess View Post
as a former cast member, i worked in one of the qs restaurants.

I can tell you that free dining definitely made my job a lot harder.

1. A lot of people got free dining, but show up to the parks without any idea how it works and then proceed to tell you how stupid it is that they can't get x, y, or z on the plan and basically yell at you when you are just doing your job and cant give them chili on their hotdog because it isnt included.

2. you have to explain what the customer can get on the dining plan to almost every guest that comes through the line, which isn;t a big deal until you have said the same things 50-100x.

3. when there is free dining, more people will eat in in park restaurants, which makes them busier. which means more work for cms.

4. also people will get the free dining and not realize until they get there that they should have made reservations and take it out on any cm that is anywhere near them.

i understand the frustration that guests can have when they dont understand what they have or dont agree with policies, etc. and working at disney, you have to love to help people and generally just love your job.

I did and I would go back in a heart beat if they paid more. but during free dining after you have the same argument with 20+ customers in a day, you just learn to loathe free dining season.
All of this itīs really true, from day one the FD was a plan with lots of details that need to be explained more to the guests. Sadly the CMs pays for the uninformation of this plan, I suffer everytime Iīm in the line and see a guest trying to get something not included in the DP and the CM must explain again and again and again
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #37
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny25 View Post
All of this itīs really true, from day one the FD was a plan with lots of details that need to be explained more to the guests. Sadly the CMs pays for the uninformation of this plan, I suffer everytime Iīm in the line and see a guest trying to get something not included in the DP and the CM must explain again and again and again
I wish they would make some minor changes, specially for QS. For example, what's the point on forcing you deserts. Many CMs allow you to sub a desert for a bottle of water but some don't. Allow the sub - cost is the same, and you'll give a lot of folks an option.

Typically the four of us would get two desserts and share as it's too much food.

We've asked families if they wanted the extra desserts and others have asked us the same.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
I wish they would make some minor changes, specially for QS. For example, what's the point on forcing you deserts. Many CMs allow you to sub a desert for a bottle of water but some don't. Allow the sub - cost is the same, and you'll give a lot of folks an option.

Typically the four of us would get two desserts and share as it's too much food.

We've asked families if they wanted the extra desserts and others have asked us the same.
I wish that Disney would take into account medical needs or dietary restrictions due to some medical needs or simply a lifestyle change. Some people cannot have desserts let alone twice a day every day. I wish they would offer a side salad or some other option instead of dessert. Our lifestyles changed due to DH having some medical issues and watching calorie intake is a big part of him getting healthier. We haven't done the dining plan in two years because of the dessert thing
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is this really any different than any other restaurant though? How often does a waitress at Chili's have to explain what comes with a meal, what's extra, etc? It's just a fact of life with food service.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
Is this really any different than any other restaurant though? How often does a waitress at Chili's have to explain what comes with a meal, what's extra, etc? It's just a fact of life with food service.
Completely different. Most people who go to Chili's understand that they have certain sides that can be exchanged for fries. People on dining plans often want to try to substitute appetizers for desserts, bottled drinks for desserts, don't know what can be substituted since the menus don't always list all of the available offerings, etc. Then there are the QS locations where all of these questions have to be answered quickly to keep the line moving. Lines that are on both sides of the cashiers. I can understand how exhausting that must be for CMs all day long. Also, at Chili's, a waitress could have maybe 10 or 12 tables of people in an hour, while a QS cashier would have to deal with that many people in 10 minutes.
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
danny25

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
yes sure i know that, but some guest get really mad when they canīt do what they hope with the DP, at a normal restaurant nobody goes with a prepaid plan itīs a different situation i think, but I could be wrong
Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #42
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
yes sure i know that, but some guest get really mad when they canīt do what they hope with the DP, at a normal restaurant nobody goes with a prepaid plan itīs a different situation i think, but I could be wrong
Now I'll agree that a guest should get mad or berate a CM because they can't get something on the DP but I think that Disney is a pretty unique situation that requires some explaining for all but the very few frequent visitor or super planner/researchers. If a person or family comes once a year and gets the DP and Disney changes the DP each year then an explanation at the register or table will be needed in most cases. I've also seen where the CMs don't even know what's covered and what isn't. Each restaurant and snack cart is a little different from one to the next and while there are many similarities (and again the seasoned vets can pick up on those) people who are unfamiliar with everything as a first or second time guest will need some assistance.

A lot of amusement park jobs are like factory work. You stand in the same spot for hours doing the same thing over and over again. It doesn't seem unusual to me.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
Kat016
DIS Veteran

We are doing the QS option...reading all of these posts about clarity is making me nervous. I figured everything was going to be pretty much self explanatory at the restaurants/snack carts....
Kat016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
We are doing the QS option...reading all of these posts about clarity is making me nervous. I figured everything was going to be pretty much self explanatory at the restaurants/snack carts....
You will be fine! Look for the DP sign next to an item to see if it is covered by the dining plan. OR....you can always listen to the group in front of you. The CM will be explaining it to them
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 YACHT CLUB

amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #45
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccu18007 View Post

You will be fine! Look for the DP sign next to an item to see if it is covered by the dining plan. OR....you can always listen to the group in front of you. The CM will be explaining it to them
So look or eavesdrop?? I can do that! Lol
good, at least it's kinda self explanatory than.
Kat016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: