DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #31
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymay00 View Post
Just curious, are Marriott and other timeshares that refurbish more frequently more expensive to own than DVC? If not, where are the DVC dues going instead?

Our situation is that we prefer to stay on site when visiting WDW. We also prefer to have more space than a standard hotel room offers, so DVC made sense. We bought resale and did not finance in order to reduce our upfront costs, and so far I am satisfied with what we are getting for money. Maybe I will not feel that way in 10 years when our home resort needs a refurbishment and isn't scheduled to get one for another 5-10 years.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
No, generally around the same or less, esp for Orlando. It is a little apples to oranges in some ways though. Historically and resale we're talking full week options floating for a season for Marriott. Comparing to say Marriott's Grande Vista resort would be a fair comparison for say OKW or SSR in a 2 BR for a week, say 300 points to be conservative and fair. One could buy SSR for say $50 a point or roughly $15K and roughly $1500 yearly. A top season (Platinum) Marriott GV unit can be bought easily for under $4000 with yearly fees around $1050. The numbers would vary a little by property. For example, Harbour Lakes would be cheaper up front and yearly, Cypress Harbour would be cheaper to buy but around the same yearly and is likely more comparable to OKW. There are ways to get cheaper still overall but they including exchanges from smaller to larger units and the use of bonus weeks, all very workable for Orlando though. The studios at GV are also much better than the DVC studios in that they are larger, have a king bed and actually have utensils and cooking materials.

There is the rest of the story though. DVC is more flexible in direct usage than is Marriott which is a week at a time during a season though the Marriott can be broken down into 3 & 4 day options and locked off into a studio & 1 BR. There would be a lockoff fee normally $75. For Marriott you could exchange directly to the other Florida club options (West Palm, Panama City, Doral & Ft. Lauderdale) and you could use the 3/4 day and lockoff options at those locations as well. You'd have to join II at your own cost to exchange it to other Marriott's and beyond but you'd have a lot more options, flexibility and better choices OVERALL than you would have using DVC for exchanging. So in the end Marriott maybe $1200 yearly and DVC $1500 without exchanging but with the ability to do so, if the difference forces a car rental, one would have to consider that as well.

What off property tends to do for the higher end options is given you more & better recreational options, more activities and more space for a somewhat cheaper price and more better exchange options. Ultimately it comes down to preference and how one will use it. In general DVC is more expensive yearly but it varies with usage patterns. Marriott is a much better trading tool. If you go up to the 3 BR at GV, the numbers are far more favorable to Marriott than DVC but you have the same basic limitations.

For those that know some of this well, I have ignored the newer Marriott trust points and the Destination points because they either aren't available or workable for this situation.

If you compare to the 2 main points mini systems for Orlando that I have some familiarity with (Bluegreen & Wyndham), you drop your initial buy in costs down to around $1000 give or take for enough points to get a 2 BR and dues in the range of the Marriott GV I mentioned and less than DVC (variable for Wyndham). You pick up a lot more options, have the exchange options internally and through RCI included other than the exchange fee if you go through RCI (like DVC but the costs tend to be higher but with more options). Plus you have the potential to exchange in to DVC as well. I can't speak for Worldmark or Hilton, the other 2 systems I'd include in this group. WM doesn't have the same level of direct Orlando options but is well suited out west. I suspect Hilton is more to buy in but the other principles would apply somewhat.

IMO it boils down to how much you want to pay for on property and how much one takes advantage of the full range of the flexibility inherent to the DVC system as well as how one wants to factor in non Disney trips. It pays to be informed. I think for many, owning both has it's advantages if you can get on a large enough scale to justify both.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #32
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I have to say that I am currently staying in a 1 BR at BLT and it is nowhere near the quality of the rooms at any of the Marriott Vacation Club properties I have stayed at. Cracked tiles, loose fixtures, torn fabric, stained couch cushions, and a non functioning jacuzzi tub. All this in a room that's what, three years old? It's still a nice room and all, but it is showing its wear at an alarming rate. While not at the level where I would complain, as an owner I am not going to expose myself to more risk by purchasing any more than the 100 points I currently own.
Yuck-please post pics since ur there.
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush View Post
I can get "used" to the use year. These cleanliness and disrepair issues may be enough for me to exercise my 10day rights....I'm pretty OCD and reading that dvc rooms are dirty (so deal with it) bc they don't treat us as we'll as cash customers has me nauseous.
You shouldn't "need" to get used to anything. This is a big purchase.....and at the current prices, a very big purchase for a long time. For a guide to force something on you that you weren't interested in is downright immoral in my book. Exercise your 10 day immediately and contact a guide that will get you your desired UY. The ONLY acceptable reason is if you are buying a sold out resort and have to wait for the UY. I'm disgusted to hear this. We bought resale after almost a year of research. We have friends that bought years before us, and they didn't know they COULD have chosen a different UY. If they had they would. You need to stand up and show them the buyer is in charge.

You will own this for many years, and spend a ton of money. You deserve to buy what you want to buy, not what someone is trying to sell. As far as room cleanliness? I've never had a problem in 4 trips. If I did, I would report it. It's up to us owners to take care of our own property. I'm not sure all owners understand this.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
ouch - and some of the "hard refurb" was painting over old furniture?

i want them to take care of my OKW...
At least the repainted/refinished furniture is probably better than what they would have replaced it with. Most hotels now use really poorly constructed furnishings.

I really miss the carpet. It is so noisy/echo-y now.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
No, generally around the same or less, esp for Orlando. It is a little apples to oranges in some ways though. Historically and resale we're talking full week options floating for a season for Marriott. Comparing to say Marriott's Grande Vista resort would be a fair comparison for say OKW or SSR in a 2 BR for a week, say 300 points to be conservative and fair. One could buy SSR for say $50 a point or roughly $15K and roughly $1500 yearly. A top season (Platinum) Marriott GV unit can be bought easily for under $4000 with yearly fees around $1050. The numbers would vary a little by property. For example, Harbour Lakes would be cheaper up front and yearly, Cypress Harbour would be cheaper to buy but around the same yearly and is likely more comparable to OKW. There are ways to get cheaper still overall but they including exchanges from smaller to larger units and the use of bonus weeks, all very workable for Orlando though. The studios at GV are also much better than the DVC studios in that they are larger, have a king bed and actually have utensils and cooking materials.

There is the rest of the story though. DVC is more flexible in direct usage than is Marriott which is a week at a time during a season though the Marriott can be broken down into 3 & 4 day options and locked off into a studio & 1 BR. There would be a lockoff fee normally $75. For Marriott you could exchange directly to the other Florida club options (West Palm, Panama City, Doral & Ft. Lauderdale) and you could use the 3/4 day and lockoff options at those locations as well. You'd have to join II at your own cost to exchange it to other Marriott's and beyond but you'd have a lot more options, flexibility and better choices OVERALL than you would have using DVC for exchanging. So in the end Marriott maybe $1200 yearly and DVC $1500 without exchanging but with the ability to do so, if the difference forces a car rental, one would have to consider that as well.

What off property tends to do for the higher end options is given you more & better recreational options, more activities and more space for a somewhat cheaper price and more better exchange options. Ultimately it comes down to preference and how one will use it. In general DVC is more expensive yearly but it varies with usage patterns. Marriott is a much better trading tool. If you go up to the 3 BR at GV, the numbers are far more favorable to Marriott than DVC but you have the same basic limitations.

For those that know some of this well, I have ignored the newer Marriott trust points and the Destination points because they either aren't available or workable for this situation.

If you compare to the 2 main points mini systems for Orlando that I have some familiarity with (Bluegreen & Wyndham), you drop your initial buy in costs down to around $1000 give or take for enough points to get a 2 BR and dues in the range of the Marriott GV I mentioned and less than DVC (variable for Wyndham). You pick up a lot more options, have the exchange options internally and through RCI included other than the exchange fee if you go through RCI (like DVC but the costs tend to be higher but with more options). Plus you have the potential to exchange in to DVC as well. I can't speak for Worldmark or Hilton, the other 2 systems I'd include in this group. WM doesn't have the same level of direct Orlando options but is well suited out west. I suspect Hilton is more to buy in but the other principles would apply somewhat.

IMO it boils down to how much you want to pay for on property and how much one takes advantage of the full range of the flexibility inherent to the DVC system as well as how one wants to factor in non Disney trips. It pays to be informed. I think for many, owning both has it's advantages if you can get on a large enough scale to justify both.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that!

staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymay00 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that!

You're welcome. I tried to be fair and objective to both sides. The trouble with trying to use one timeshare to do everything is there's no single perfect system. For those that want to go to Disney almost exclusively and prefer to stay on property, and rarely look elsewhere they may as well buy Disney. For those trying to find one system to do Disney and other vacations routinely DVC is generally out of the mix, IMO. I simply feel the compromise using DVC for non Disney trips is far greater than the reverse but obviously there are variables. I prefer to consider the area of the country one lives in and lay out a list of planned trips/locations and see who covers those areas and start from there. I'd also consider how flexible one is and how variable their trips are likely to be in time of year, unit size and length of stay.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #37
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush
We really wanted a particular use year for our first direct contract. They wouldn't give it to me - told us we didn't have a good enough reason. Should've walked away but the contract has been written. We already have an add-on planned but I found out there is nothing available in my use year and that DVC will absolutely NOT grant two different use years. Am I being played again??
I don't understand how they could say you don't have a good enough reason. ??? Why does anyone need a reason to pay a ton of $$$ to have the UY they want? I would have walked away and found another guide/seller. That doesn't make sense.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Perhaps I misspoke. I reported the tub issue, but what I meant was that none of these issues led me to complain about the room, they were just noticeable.
Well, I want you to complain. " Cracked tiles, loose fixtures, torn fabric, stained couch cushions"? Those are worth letting them know about.

We recently had a horribly mildewy 2 bedroom at SSR. The entire place was filled with the smell. It even bothered the non-sensitives in our group. We made the awful mistake of staying one night there instead of moving the first moment we stepped in the room, and no one felt 100% the next day.

That HAD TO have been noticed as it built up. But maybe each person thought "oh maybe I'm just sensitive, I won't complain", etc etc. Housekeeping had to have smelled it as the problem grew. Who knows why they didn't fix it? When the housekeeping manager stepped in the room, he was aghast at the overwhelming smell throughout the whole villa.

The things you've mentioned aren't mildew, but the problems aren't going to fix themselves. So tell housekeeping, maintenance, the front desk, and DVC. I feel that they need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
You shouldn't "need" to get used to anything. This is a big purchase.....and at the current prices, a very big purchase for a long time.
The "get used to it" comment was saying that IF the OP was already beyond the recision period, they would need to get used to their Use Year. That's all. And if they were still within the 10 days, to cancel, get a new guide, and start over.

If they are already out of that 10 days, to sell would mean to lose quite a bit of money. Far easier to get used to a non-perfect UY.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #39
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
At least the repainted/refinished furniture is probably better than what they would have replaced it with. Most hotels now use really poorly constructed furnishings.

I really miss the carpet. It is so noisy/echo-y now.
If they had done that it would have only been because they were being cheap - there are good options out there too. The furniture at AKV and VGC and even Aulani are good examples of sturdy furnishings and the same could have been done at OKW. Most likely is that painting was just the inexpensive way to go.

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #40
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
If they had done that it would have only been because they were being cheap - there are good options out there too. The furniture at AKV and VGC and even Aulani are good examples of sturdy furnishings and the same could have been done at OKW. Most likely is that painting was just the inexpensive way to go.
They bought Thomasville for SSR and it looks great.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Well, I want you to complain. " Cracked tiles, loose fixtures, torn fabric, stained couch cushions"? Those are worth letting them know about.
Exactly-and why we want the pics so we can pass it on and/or prepare for it.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Use Year is IMPORTANT

I have seen this many times over the years - the sales process glossing over or ignoring this. I did not buy on my first sales pitch and went to do research for a couple of years... glad I did because when I bought I insisted on the use year matching my vacation planning cycle.

Here why it's important: You need to have the time to plan and make reservations and travel arrangement before your banking window closes.

Our year starts August 1. We prefer to travel in Late August through the fall. For years before out daughter was school age we traveled Sept/Oct/Nov and now we go last half of August most of the time. We make reservations for our stays just after the use year begins. If our plans must change, I have 7 more months to decide what to do... and then I can still bank my points.

Now imagine my use year were February 1. If my August plans don't work out, I must bank by end of September! Little flexibility for other plans. Worse if I had plans for November, and have to change - I could be past my banking deadline!

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: