DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
mulberrybush
Mouseketeer

Strong-armed over use year :(

We really wanted a particular use year for our first direct contract. They wouldn't give it to me - told us we didn't have a good enough reason. Should've walked away but the contract has been written. We already have an add-on planned but I found out there is nothing available in my use year and that DVC will absolutely NOT grant two different use years. Am I being played again??
mulberrybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush View Post
We really wanted a particular use year for our first direct contract. They wouldn't give it to me - told us we didn't have a good enough reason. Should've walked away but the contract has been written. We already have an add-on planned but I found out there is nothing available in my use year and that DVC will absolutely NOT grant two different use years. Am I being played again??
Did you already purchase the direct sale? You have I believe 10 days to rescind your offer - which I recommend then you can and tell your guide the reason is you want a certain UY and if they cannot provide it you will look at the resale market - let them know it is a priority with you. I bet they will give you your UY or a the least you will put on a wait list for that UY. I have heard they will not give 2 UY out but there is always resale to get around that. I would not want the same resort with 2 UY's it is a pain at the 11 month window very doable just more work. We sold 1 of our SSR contracts because I did not like the different UY and had problems transferring points to make a reservation (an "IT" problem).

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
If you are really set on buying direct, I would call 800 800-9100 and ask to speak to Ken Potrock the new Senior VP. I am sure that he can sell you what you want. He needs to know what's going on.

I would also get a different Guide.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

I agree I would get a different guide. My guide asked me what use year did I want and I told him October and he said ok with out hesitation. If you want to buy direct then I would see about getting a new guide there are plenty
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Caren90
DIS Veteran

OP, with a purchase of this magnitude you should always be getting what YOU want. I would take Bill's advice and contact a higher up.

Stephen
Old 04-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Did you already sign the papers? I bought Aulani direct and changed my mind about the use year after they printed out the contract & mailed it to me, but before I signed them. The guide was annoyed but I managed to change it since at the same time, we found a small add on via resale & I wanted those UY to match. When I told her the reason she nearly flipped out.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I go into the local dealer, I see they have two cars equipped exactly the same except one has tan leather and the other black. I really want the tan one, but the dealer says, I didn't have a good enough reason to take that over the black.

See the problem? You are the buyer, you don't need a reason! The only thing the seller needs to consider themself with is if they have the product to sell you; if they don't they should tell you, then the ball is back in your court to consider your options.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
We really wanted a particular use year for our first direct contract. They wouldn't give it to me - told us we didn't have a good enough reason. Should've walked away but the contract has been written.
First of all, if you are within your 10-day recision period (Florida law), rescind and start over...with a new timeshare salesperson.

If your purchase was more than a couple of weeks ago, learn to love your UY. It's not that big of a deal -- just something to be aware of and to manage.
Quote:
We already have an add-on planned but I found out there is nothing available in my use year and that DVC will absolutely NOT grant two different use years. Am I being played again??
Maybe...or maybe you just misunderstand what they are telling you.

You can have as many UYs as you want for various contracts. However -- for contracts to be in the same account, they must be titled identically and they must have the same UY.

The advantage of having the same UY is that all your points are in the same account, and you can use points from any contract (subject to home resort booking windows). If you have multiple contracts with different UYs (or different titling), you have to transfer points between accounts to combine them for a particular reservation. You can only do one transfer (in or out) in each account each year, so that becomes a significant point-management issue.

So, can you get different UYs? Sure. Should you? I wouldn't if I could avoid it.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Get a new guide or go resale. The guide makes a commission off selling you points. For that kind of treatment, I would not want the guide to profit at my expense.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's likely why they weren't letting you have the UY you wanted. They will allow 2 UY but you'll have separate contracts and you have to buy the minimum buy in for that resort. Frankly, I'd cancel and go resale.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We insisted on the UY we wanted, we didn't give them a reason just told them what we were willing to buy You are the purchaser don't let them so this to you
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

I can understand if they don't HAVE your UY.... If you are buying a resort that isn't sold out, they should have what you prefer.

YOU are a customer, and 'your reason isn't good enough, is NOT a valid reason to refuse your request.

In all honesty, if I were you, I would have got up, said 'Thank you for your time.' and went BACK to the front desk at the Welcome Center and said.... I'm here to take a tour, and I don't want XXXX to be my guide.

That's a great way to send a clear message to a guide who might need a little cutting down to size.

If (s)he won't sell you what you want, find someone who WILL sell you what you want.

UY is important when you really put some thought in to it and consider when you will be vacationing.

If you haven't closed yet, you need to make some phone calls and actually buy what YOU want... not what they want to sell you.

You can have ALL of the UY's - there is no limit. But yes, you will have to have a separate account.
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
elfbo
DIS Veteran

I signed to buy direct on a recent trip. My guide completely ignored my questions about use year. Said it wouldn't make a difference. Cancelled about a week later. Our paperwork hadnt arrived so didn't even need to recind. Did some more research and determined that for what we wanted direct was best route due to lack of right UY in resales and right number of points.

Called dvc back and asked for a new guide that would better suit our needs. Just heard that we can get the contract we really wanted in the first place. Same resort same number of points just a different use year. The first guide could have made a sale if he had just listened, instead he tried to get us in a contract that did not suit our vacation style.

So dont be afraid to call them and ask for a new guide and for the contract that you really want. I also wonder if you have the same guide we first had. April UY for January trips is almost worst possible!

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
That's likely why they weren't letting you have the UY you wanted. They will allow 2 UY but you'll have separate contracts and you have to buy the minimum buy in for that resort. Frankly, I'd cancel and go resale.
yep, not the guide's fault if that is the case. but the OP should have been told that they were asking for a new membership and not an "add-on."

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
mulberrybush
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
If your purchase was more than a couple of weeks ago, learn to love your UY. It's not that big of a deal -- just something to be aware of and to manage. Maybe...or maybe you just misunderstand what they are telling you.
I have done a TON of reading on here this week and have learned that the most valuable lesson for me before joining DVC is just this:
Learn to love it, limit complaints to true "needs", and enjoy something that will enrich my family for years. This seems to be true from use year to mousekeeping to room assignments. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I hope to be a humble travelers and enjoy whatever comes our way (just please not rotavirus!!!)
mulberrybush is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: