Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
leftaslide
NW GA. DDC #751

We're giving our girls each a Kindle this Christmas. Thinking of downloading a paint app, then writing "We are going to Disney!" on the screen, and letting them open their present early (day we leave). Double whammy. Going Dec. 15th-20th.

DIS DAD #751
2011 (first visit) ASMo ** 2012 ASMo ** 2013 POP
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
southernprincess1
Mouseketeer

We are going to surprise our boys by picking them up early at school. My husband and I plan to meet them in the hallway as they leave for lunch. We'll be holding a sign that says "we're going to Disney!" Then we will leave. We'll have the car packed and decorated. My boys are going to be so excited! Everyday they talk about going to Disney and they have no idea.

Jenny

1973-Contemporary,1975-Poly,1981-2000-numerous off-site,Sept 2010-Wilderness Lodge,Feb. 2011-offsite,September 2011-Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2013-All Star Music
southernprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
julieb5
Mouseketeer

We are leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow and I cannot believe I've kept this trip a secret for almost 9 months now.
We are sending the kids to school (9 & 6 yrs old) Monday with the premise that I have a work trip that I need to leave for that afternoon. I'm going to tell them how sad I'm going to be being away from them for 8 days and pull them out of school around 1:00 to take me to the airport to say goodbye. The suprise will be when I have them help me with my luggage and they see all the Disney yellow ME tags and we will tell them right there at the drop off and then head on inside to go see Mickey.
Can hardly wait. Just need to secretly start getting organized to get our group all packed up
julieb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

We leave in 10 days my kids think they are going to school " not" getting them up telling them they missed the bus getting in the car and driving to there aunts house in nc. We're we are stopping for 1 day they think we are visiting there but no getting in the car the next day to " go to the beach in sc" but really when we get to the Florida line " becouse we will be very lost lol hubby and I have shirts under our shirts saying we are going to Disney they will be so confused its been a year i'v kept this in I'm loosing my mind our guest room has been locked for 6 months becouse all the princess dresses and stuff are in there I can't stand it ohh buy the way this is all of our first time ever I'm 37 hubby 36 birthday at Disney son 13 daughter 6
deadheadmamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #21
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

We surprised our kinds (DS3 and DD5) last month. It was a last minute trip and we didn't even know if we would be able to go so we decided to wait until last minute.

Ever since our trip in Sept. 2012 they've been talking about going back (that was their 2nd trip). We originally weren't supposed to return on November 2014 but then plans changed.

They always were saying how they wished we could go back to Disney "the next day". OK, more so our 5 y/o but DS would also say "I go back to Disney" and she would tell him "don't worry, mommy and daddy will take us soon" even though we told her she would be 6 the next time we go.

So that Friday, I left work early to pack and when DH got home we had the car all packed and ready to go and walked next door to pick them up. DH asked them what they wanted to do that weekend since we talked about doing something special. DD said "I wish we could go to Disney" so we said "OK let's go!" The look on her face was priceless!

Even as we got in the car she kept saying "are we really going?" It was so much fun to surprise them!

Funfire240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
mainemooncat
Earning My Ears

Another Surprise Planned

I am having a great time reading these. We are planning on surprising DD next year in October. DH has it planned out where we will tell her that we have to travel to Orlando for my work and we wish we could go to Disney but we just can't afford it. I will try to make reservations for the night we arrive at Ohana so we can watch fireworks from the Poly beach and DH will say that is as close as we can get but at least we got to see what it looks like. Then the next day we will board the bus to MK (we are staying at POP) and see how long it takes her to figure out where she is going. She is a pretty clueless kid so we are figuring that it will take awhile to sink in.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
Snow2013
Earning My Ears

Planning a surprise Christmas

Ok this is my 1st trip & my 3 kids(ages:7,7&14), my husband has been as a kid been lots has changed since then. I've been making crafts & planning for almost a yr. I'm soooooooo ready to go & see my kids faces. But, I not sure how I want to tell them. ANY IDEAS???
We are going to Seaworld the 1st day, before we even check in. So, I thinking if I would be crazy if I didn't tell them until the got there. Would that be wrong of me? This is my idea: Walk out Seaworld before the kids & write on our van "NEXT STOP DISNEY WORLD" & draw Mickey heads on the windows.
I also made up welcome buckets(mom style), but not putting them out until 1st morning of Disney (while kids sleeping after Seaworld). What u think? Ideas?
Thanks,
1st Timer
Snow2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #24
Snow2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftaslide View Post
We're giving our girls each a Kindle this Christmas. Thinking of downloading a paint app, then writing "We are going to Disney!" on the screen, and letting them open their present early (day we leave). Double whammy. Going Dec. 15th-20th.
Love that idea!!
We're also giving our kids trip to Disney for Christmas, but it's our 1st. Still trying to plan out the surprise. Going Dec. 21st-27th.
Snow2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #25
momof3littles
Mouseketeer

My parents surprised me with my one and only trip as a child when I was either 4 or 5. I still remember it Of course, that involved being carried out to our conversion van in the middle of the night and loading up for a 20+ hour drive, but it was worth it

We just booked our first ever trip as a family. My husband has never visited Disney, and my kids have never been. They will be almost 10, 7, and almost 4 when we travel. They have no idea

We were debating Dec. vs. Feb, but settled on February for a few reasons. I am bummed to miss out on the decorations (and free dining ), but Feb is probably better for us. As a side benefit, we are now planning to do a Christmas morning scavenger hunt to reveal the surprise. They'll get their normal presents, but we'll probably do a scavenger hunt and maybe at the end have a few Disney items they'll need. They haven't seen many of the movies oddly enough, so they'll need some Disney DVD bootcamp over the holidays LOL. I'm also thinking of shirts, autograph books, and maybe convertible pants since weather is unpredictable at that time of the year.

My husband and I are having a tough time keeping it a secret though! So exciting.
momof3littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
bosuch
Mouseketeer

On our last trip, we had originally been planning a Christmas trip where we would drive our trailer out and stay at Ft. Wilderness. One of the promotions rolled around in September, plus a really good deal on airfare, and we decided to bump the dates up.

The weekend before we were due to leave our 3 boys went to stay with Gran & Grandpa for the weekend, giving us time to pack everything. We drove to the airport at 0-dark thirty, and the boys were woken up saying that we had car trouble and had to be picked up. So they get there with Gran & Grandpa, we're waiting at the curb, and we break the news to them that we're not going to be able to afford to go to Disney at Christmas. Pause a moment for disappointment to sink in, then explain it's because we're leaving in 2 hours. Plus, their Gran is coming with us.

Now have to decide how to top that this year...
Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
ndebt2disney
Earning My Ears

Love reading all of these!
We usually go every other year, but told DD (11) that we have to skip this year since we went to Aulani last fall, but that maybe we could go Spring Break 2014. We're planning on going Dec 20-27th this year and she has NO IDEA!
She's helping us "plan" the spring trip, picking ADRs and such! Its a good thing we're usually long term planners because she doesn't think its unusual that we've been talking Disney so much lately!
That being said, I'm torn on how to surprise her. I really do not want to give her a week or few days notice, its going to be mid term exams and she will be so happy for Disney I want her to focus! We've told her we're going to the mountains for a few days and are picking her up from school after exams.
I know I want to tell her in the car, my husband nix the idea of a sign on the car saying "You're going to Disney, get in the car!", he says its too childish for a middle schooler! (Heh, I would have loved it!)
So how about having her open something I've bought for her to wear on the trip...Mouse Ears?, something exclusively Disney.
I've perused YouTube, enough times I've cried my eyes out!
ndebt2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
CaptainKat
Mouseketeer

Back in 1999, my parents surprised my brothers and I with a trip in October. They just let us sleep in, and when we woke up and ran into their room to ask why they had forgotten to get us up for school, they just said "But you're not going to school. We're going to Disney World, didn't we tell you?" We refused to believe they were serious even after seeing the suitcases packed. It wasn't until we got through airport security that we realized they weren't just screwing with us.

And then the first night we had a knock on our hotel room door from room service; it was our grandparents. And later in the week, my dad took my youngest brother (only 9mo at the time) back to the room to stay with my grandparents for a nap, and came back with his sister from NC in tow! It was a great trip.

I wish there was a way to turn the tables and surprise them, but it's much more difficult to arrange work vacation time behind their back lol

Accepted for DCP Fall Advantage in the Pirate's League! Let the Countdown begin!
CaptainKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
moosha
Earning My Ears

I've loved reading through these, there are some great surprises here

We are going in April and have so far managed to keep the trip a surprise from our DDs (7 and 5.) We took them for the first time in 2012 and they're desperate to go back but when we booked the trip five months ago, we decided to make it a surprise

Originally we were going to tell them right at the last minute as others have done, but I don't think I can keep my mouth shut much longer so we've decided to do a Christmas Day reveal

I have bought Mickey and Minnie soft toy personalised with 'See You In April' and their names to wrap in a box for the main surprise, and there will be other little presents for the trip like personalised autograph books and Disney t-shirts

We are currently trying to throw them off the scent by saying that we can't afford a vacation next year. Part of me wishes we were keeping it a secret right up until we leave, but I am looking forward to being able to talk about the trip with the girls and get excited together
moosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
bevm4
Earning My Ears

Disney World Surprise

We are leaving in 3 weeks for Walt Disney World.
I wanted to do the up to the last minute surprise, but then thought about our 7 yr old daughter (who has been asking to go since we took her for her 4th birthday); she really likes to anticipate, prepare - count down. So decided best to make her 2 week out Count Down Calendar on large poster board - whith miniie and mickey faces she has to remove each night until we leave.
It's not too much of a wait, and not too short so she has time to get excited!
We told her we would go for her 8th Birthday (next June) - but decided to go in October when crowds and heat our down.
I've bought her princess dresses (hopefully she doesn't feel too old to wear)
disney goodie bag I put together as we were planning for the plane; A personalized Disney gift card - that has her photo kissing mickey on the nose wearing a minnie dress when she was 4 and we went.
I'm excited -hopefully she will be thrilled as well!
bevm4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney surprise, surprise, surprise trip, surprising kids