DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #31
Lizzim
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
If your point is don't be penny wise and pound foolish, I agree but don't see how that applies to DVC, esp to retail. There are a few situations where it is reasonable to consider retail given the current situations of each. These would include small purchases and a resort that's in demand and not available resale. It would not include gaining the developer options not available resale or in order to finance and would not generally include the ability to get the next trip covered when it's too short notice to do so resale. I get that some can't seem to delay gratification even if they can't afford something but I see that as an admission of a problem, not even as an excuse to overextend themselves much less a valid reason to do so. To me it's simply a poor choice to finance vacations or luxury purchases, that makes financing DVC a double Whammy.
I know that generally your advice is sound but there is an alternative view on this.

I know many people who saved up for years for things.....especially in preparation for retirement for example....and then were unable to enjoy them due to ill health or early unexpected deaths

I financed my direct DVC contract but I have been enjoying it for 3 years now and will always have the memories.....saving and being prudent wouldn't necessarily get me that

As long as you can comfortably afford the payments and the dues then the money isn't necessarily the most important factor. (I'm an accountant by the way!)
Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #32
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post

I know that generally your advice is sound but there is an alternative view on this.

I know many people who saved up for years for things.....especially in preparation for retirement for example....and then were unable to enjoy them due to ill health or early unexpected deaths

I financed my direct DVC contract but I have been enjoying it for 3 years now and will always have the memories.....saving and being prudent wouldn't necessarily get me that

As long as you can comfortably afford the payments and the dues then the money isn't necessarily the most important factor. (I'm an accountant by the way!)
Excellent!! Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Memories are forever!
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17
DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12
DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, BWV 10/9-10/12/14, DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15

z28wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #33
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

My previous connection to the hurricane experience was only that we all make choices which affect our lives...some choices are better than others and you just never know what changes can happen. When someone is considering spending so much upfront it is important to consider all aspects. DVC is a lot of cost upfront with the payout being how you travel and how the ownership changes your experience at Disney. Insurance is generally a lower upfront cost that can have a big payout

Wish I would have known more about resale and didn't. Glad I knew about flood insurance and bought it...in our area you didn't need to own it to purchase a home in our neighborhood, basically no one did...we live 2 miles inland. Just thinking about life changing expenses is all...I consider our purchase of DVC and insurance as two of those.

coulda, woulda, shoulda...
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

To me it's not as much of an issue of the interest as it is the risk. It's far more about managing risk than it is the interest or payments. While there are people who have financed, enjoyed and payed off their DVC as they were paying other debts as well, there are also those who have had significant financial issues for any number of reasons and have had significant consequences including bankruptcy and loss of possessions. If anyone "saved for years" for DVC and still couldn't buy, I'd think they truly couldn't afford it anyway or it wasn't a priority enough for them to put the effort into it.

I do realize there are special situations and that everyone's circumstance is different. Each must make their own decision. I'm not upset with anyone that decides to finance but I would rather them not buy that way than add the risk to their life, even if it means they never buy into DVC. Remember that there are more people looking at these type of decisions than just those posting. If I get them to think about their situation and possibly make a better decision than they would have otherwise, that's my goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28wiz View Post
Excellent!! Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Memories are forever!
I think it's living for tomorrow that's caused most, if not all, of our current financial issues in this county. I discount the idea that one has to buy DVC to have great memories.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #35
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
To me it's not as much of an issue of the interest as it is the risk. It's far more about managing risk than it is the interest or payments. While there are people who have financed, enjoyed and payed off their DVC as they were paying other debts as well, there are also those who have had significant financial issues for any number of reasons and have had significant consequences including bankruptcy and loss of possessions. If anyone "saved for years" for DVC and still couldn't buy, I'd think they truly couldn't afford it anyway or it wasn't a priority enough for them to put the effort into it.

I do realize there are special situations and that everyone's circumstance is different. Each must make their own decision. I'm not upset with anyone that decides to finance but I would rather them not buy that way than add the risk to their life, even if it means they never buy into DVC. Remember that there are more people looking at these type of decisions than just those posting. If I get them to think about their situation and possibly make a better decision than they would have otherwise, that's my goal.

I think it's living for tomorrow that's caused most, if not all, of our current financial issues in this county. I discount the idea that one has to buy DVC to have great memories.
The memories comment was a blanket term. I was just stating memories last forever, regardless of how you go about making them.

Regarding financing its pretty much up to the individual person and what they want to do. Everyone lives and leads different lives.
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17
DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12
DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, BWV 10/9-10/12/14, DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15

z28wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #36
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The memories comment was a blanket term. I was just stating memories last forever, regardless of how you go about making them.

Regarding financing its pretty much up to the individual person and what they want to do. Everyone lives and leads different lives.
No argument though I'd add that both good and bad memories fall into that category and the latter certainly applies to some situations where people either over extended themselves or life happened to them.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's fantastic that you're enjoying your DVC contract so much. It's also great that the monthly payment and dues aren't an issue for you. But what if you lost your job or there was some kind of prolonged illness and you couldn't pay your dues or your monthly payment? For people with direct contracts who paid cash, they can sell their contract and get about half their money back. But with financed contracts, you'd have to be able to pay off the loan when you sold, which often means bringing money to the table. If you couldn't afford to do that, you'd just have to give your contract back to Disney and never again see a dime of the money you paid.

Just a thought to keep in mind as people make their decisions.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #38
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
My previous connection to the hurricane experience was only that we all make choices which affect our lives...some choices are better than others and you just never know what changes can happen. When someone is considering spending so much upfront it is important to consider all aspects. DVC is a lot of cost upfront with the payout being how you travel and how the ownership changes your experience at Disney. Insurance is generally a lower upfront cost that can have a big payout

Wish I would have known more about resale and didn't. Glad I knew about flood insurance and bought it...in our area you didn't need to own it to purchase a home in our neighborhood, basically no one did...we live 2 miles inland. Just thinking about life changing expenses is all...I consider our purchase of DVC and insurance as two of those.

coulda, woulda, shoulda...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Regardless, I was wondering. $93pp for a brand new resort that isn't available on the resale market is a pretty good deal. Would you do the same thing now, in today's market, and purchase AKV direct at $145 a point when it is easily available on the resale market for $60 per point?
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still wondering what your position would be about a direct purchase now, at close to $60 more per point.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #39
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If your point is don't be penny wise and pound foolish, I agree but don't see how that applies to DVC, esp to retail. There are a few situations where it is reasonable to consider retail given the current situations of each. These would include small purchases and a resort that's in demand and not available resale. It would not include gaining the developer options not available resale or in order to finance and would not generally include the ability to get the next trip covered when it's too short notice to do so resale. I get that some can't seem to delay gratification even if they can't afford something but I see that as an admission of a problem, not even as an excuse to overextend themselves much less a valid reason to do so. To me it's simply a poor choice to finance vacations or luxury purchases, that makes financing DVC a double Whammy.
Quote:

I don't discount the fact that there is an alternate view to Dean's opinion (which I happen to share). But I have a hard time adopting your "live for the moment" philosophy, especially when it involves fiscal irresponsibility in the short term and there are many alternative options that have much less risk. I can see how you would say that it is important to vacation now. Maybe your kids are young and you want to embrace that. Maybe you have a stressful life and a week away will help. So I agree with you to a point, that one could save 10 years for a Disney vacation and by the time they go their kids are too old or maybe they dropped dead or whatever. But I do not believe that theory applies to DVC. We hear this all the time, where people speak of DVC as if they could not visit Disney otherwise. There are hundreds of different ways to visit Disney on the cheap. DTD hotels are less than $100 a night. Values are less than $100 a night. Moderates are not much more. Offsite timeshares can be had on eBay for $1 or you can simply book a week direct at discount prices. All of these solutions are less than the tens of thousands needed to buy in to DVC and they come without the long term commitment and risk associated with a direct financed purchase. So I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that you have to have DVC or else you won't be able to go to Disney. I think it's a justification and a poor one at that.

Buying and financing DVC when you don't have the money is not a "live life now" type of decision. In my opinion it is an extremely risky decision with long term detrimental effects. Now please don't read too much into this...I am talking about the decision and not the people who make it, so I'm not saying anything about people personally. I simply believe it is a bad choice. Everyone has something they want but can't afford. For some it's a nicer car. For some it's a bigger house. I think that accepting that something is out of one's price range is a much more productive strategy than going into incredible and risky debt to obtain what is out of reach. I get that this is an unpopular position, and please feel free to disagree.

Quote:

Very true. And if there's one thing living in America for the past number of decades has taught us, it's that we are free to make our own decisions, no matter how bad they are or how detrimental the consequences. But that doesn't mean we should.

Think about it this way...if you commit to 10 years of debt for a DVC purchase, that is 10 more years until you are debt free.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
It's fantastic that you're enjoying your DVC contract so much. It's also great that the monthly payment and dues aren't an issue for you. But what if you lost your job or there was some kind of prolonged illness and you couldn't pay your dues or your monthly payment? For people with direct contracts who paid cash, they can sell their contract and get about half their money back. But with financed contracts, you'd have to be able to pay off the loan when you sold, which often means bringing money to the table. If you couldn't afford to do that, you'd just have to give your contract back to Disney and never again see a dime of the money you paid.Just a thought to keep in mind as people make their decisions.
Depending how soon after purchase your job loss or illness happens, the bolded part may actually be more advantageous than the underlined part.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #41
Lizzim
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
It's fantastic that you're enjoying your DVC contract so much. It's also great that the monthly payment and dues aren't an issue for you. But what if you lost your job or there was some kind of prolonged illness and you couldn't pay your dues or your monthly payment? For people with direct contracts who paid cash, they can sell their contract and get about half their money back. But with financed contracts, you'd have to be able to pay off the loan when you sold, which often means bringing money to the table. If you couldn't afford to do that, you'd just have to give your contract back to Disney and never again see a dime of the money you paid.

Just a thought to keep in mind as people make their decisions.
I don't believe I was advocating buying without any consideration for these things. I have life insurance and critical illness insurance and so if the bad stuff happens I'm covered in most circumstances.....in fact if one of us loses our job we are still ok (with some adjustments).

My point remains.....there are some instances where the relative expense of a direct financed purchase is not the end of the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I don't discount the fact that there is an alternate view to Dean's opinion (which I happen to share). But I have a hard time adopting your "live for the moment" philosophy, especially when it involves fiscal irresponsibility in the short term and there are many alternative options that have much less risk. I can see how you would say that it is important to vacation now. Maybe your kids are young and you want to embrace that. Maybe you have a stressful life and a week away will help. So I agree with you to a point, that one could save 10 years for a Disney vacation and by the time they go their kids are too old or maybe they dropped dead or whatever. But I do not believe that theory applies to DVC. We hear this all the time, where people speak of DVC as if they could not visit Disney otherwise. There are hundreds of different ways to visit Disney on the cheap. DTD hotels are less than $100 a night. Values are less than $100 a night. Moderates are not much more. Offsite timeshares can be had on eBay for $1 or you can simply book a week direct at discount prices. All of these solutions are less than the tens of thousands needed to buy in to DVC and they come without the long term commitment and risk associated with a direct financed purchase. So I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that you have to have DVC or else you won't be able to go to Disney. I think it's a justification and a poor one at that.

Buying and financing DVC when you don't have the money is not a "live life now" type of decision. In my opinion it is an extremely risky decision with long term detrimental effects. Now please don't read too much into this...I am talking about the decision and not the people who make it, so I'm not saying anything about people personally. I simply believe it is a bad choice. Everyone has something they want but can't afford. For some it's a nicer car. For some it's a bigger house. I think that accepting that something is out of one's price range is a much more productive strategy than going into incredible and risky debt to obtain what is out of reach. I get that this is an unpopular position, and please feel free to disagree.
We have no children (or plans for them) and we are comfortable with our mortgage. We have good relatively secure jobs and plenty of scope to deal with problems. I could pay the mortgage off early......but why would I ?

You are correct that DVC is not the only way to do Disney but I bought DVC to share the experience with friends and family...this year we are bringing the parents (we are in the UK) and in 4 years we are bringing our godchildren.

We can only bring them whilst they are young while they are actually that age so it will be worth it to me - their parents would not bring them without our help.

As I said earlier.....there are differing viewpoints but I am living now whilst I can. If I can still use DVC when I am old then that will be a bonus
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #42
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

We went to Disney a few years ago with the family (kids went for the 1st time ) after staying at the BCV after renting points we researched and decided to buy in we are on a wait-list now for BCV.. I have always done what everybody wanted and I feel if you have to finance through Disney then you should try to do it as long as it will not affect the important bills. Yes, taking care of everything around you is very important but I have learned unfortunately the hard way from deaths of friends and family that sometimes you have to, and should live for the moment. Because you never know when you can be taken away from everyone you love. So my DH and I decided to take the plunge .. First and foremost before anyone thinks about taking a big leap into the DVC do your research find out what works best for you and if it's possible to do, try and see. DVC are taking low contracts now before they were only taking over a certain amount but now they have gone far as 50 pt contracts.
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #43
HD1
Earning My Ears

IMHHO we live on the west coast and bought at Aulani direct. Our primary reason was the fact that living just 4 hours from DLR and knowing that DGC only has limited space we wanted to be able to use our DVC at either DLH or PPH. we will travel, at times, to WDW, but plan on either staying at our home resort, Aulani or in southern CA. We were already planning a trip to Aulani and just used that intended money for the down payment. We will see how this goes?

On another note, if someone has just a few points at a resort, does that let them reserve with the 12 month window with all their points? How does this work?

Thanks for the forums! I am new and like the info already!
HD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD1 View Post
.....(snip)........On another note, if someone has just a few points at a resort, does that let them reserve with the 12 month window with all their points? How does this work?.......
Only the points purchased for the resort in question can be used before the 7 month window opens. You may use points from any resort once the 7 month window opens.

For example, if you own 25 points at VGC and 150 at Aulani, only the 25 VGC points can be used to book a VGC villa more than 7 months in advance. Some members bank and borrow to get up to 75 points every 3 years to use during the Home Resort Priority Booking period. When the 7 month window opens all 175 points can be used to book a villa at VGC. Of course, booking is always subject to availability.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #45
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzim
My point remains.....there are some instances where the relative expense of a direct financed purchase is not the end of the decision.
If you are at all concerned with value for your money then it should be. I don't know anyone who got (or stayed) rich by throwing money around unnecessarily.

Quote:

We have no children (or plans for them) and we are comfortable with our mortgage. We have good relatively secure jobs and plenty of scope to deal with problems. I could pay the mortgage off early......but why would I ?
Because you're paying 10% interest, that's why. You don't see that as a problem?

Quote:

You are correct that DVC is not the only way to do Disney but I bought DVC to share the experience with friends and family...this year we are bringing the parents (we are in the UK) and in 4 years we are bringing our godchildren.
I'm curious, if you didn't own DVC would you book a hotel and pay for them? I'm always surprised when people will gladly give away DVC stays as if they didn't cost anything. But again, I'll go back to my original point, you don't need DVC to take people on vacation. You can rent points or book a room directly and simply pay for them.

Quote:

We can only bring them whilst they are young while they are actually that age so it will be worth it to me - their parents would not bring them without our help.
So are you saying that you wouldn't help if you didn't own DVC? What is the difference?

Quote:

As I said earlier.....there are differing viewpoints but I am living now whilst I can. If I can still use DVC when I am old then that will be a bonus
Agree to disagree I suppose. I like to enjoy the moment as well, but I can't advocate throwing money away when there are less expensive options (resale or renting points) that will give you almost the exact same experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: