Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
lovepink42
Earning My Ears

can someone help me authenticate these pins?

hi guys i was hoping someone could help me tell if these are fake or not
sorry i can't post pictures...
ht t
p://s518.photobucket.com/user/browncow199/media/pins/SAM_1030.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
is the color correct?

h t
tp://s518.photobucket.com/user/browncow199/media/pins/SAM_1028.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
fairly certain the puffer, starfish, and flo are fakes but the others? i've also heard the tops of the bags shouldn't be yellow, but im not sure. the colors vary so much.

h
t
tp://s518.photobucket.com/user/browncow199/media/pins/SAM_1026.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
the missing green spot on the band around ariel's waist, is that normal?
lovepink42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepink42 View Post
hi guys i was hoping someone could help me tell if these are fake or not
sorry i can't post pictures...
ht t
p://s518.photobucket.com/user/browncow199/media/pins/SAM_1030.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
is the color correct?

h t
tp://s518.photobucket.com/user/browncow199/media/pins/SAM_1028.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
fairly certain the puffer, starfish, and flo are fakes but the others? i've also heard the tops of the bags shouldn't be yellow, but im not sure. the colors vary so much.

h
t
tp://s518.photobucket.com/user/browncow199/media/pins/SAM_1026.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
the missing green spot on the band around ariel's waist, is that normal?
It's really hard to say if they're real, scrappers, or out right fakes. Nothing jumps out at me to say their obviously wrong, but some of the details can be very subtle.

For example, I only looked up the Ariel pin on Pinpics (http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/g...6181&pin=88680), but from the coloration in the photo I would guess that it might not be legit. However, some of the coloration differences could just be due to the photos. Also, the icon lines touch the edge of the pin in your photo, but not the one on PinPics.

I'm assuming that the photo on PinPics is accurate. They're a pretty popular site and have been around for a while, so hopefully they only have photos of legit pins.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
lovepink42
Earning My Ears

the most noticeable difference i saw between mine and the one from pinpics is the missing part of the band at her waist, and the sign touching the side of the pin like you said. there isn't a noticeable difference in color for me to tell from that.

looking at it now i think the border on the right might be thicker than on the left...but it's so hard to tell
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepink42 View Post
the most noticeable difference i saw between mine and the one from pinpics is the missing part of the band at her waist, and the sign touching the side of the pin like you said. there isn't a noticeable difference in color for me to tell from that.

looking at it now i think the border on the right might be thicker than on the left...but it's so hard to tell
When I looked at your pictures and the one on pinpics, it seemed like her shells were a deeper purple on pinpics, while your's were more purple-grey.

Sadly, I do think that the Ariel pin is likely to be a scrapper/fake.

Generally, if there are enough things on the pin that make you think it might be a scrapper, there is a good chance it is. The legit CM pins that I've seen tend have sharp, clean lines delineating the image and the colors seem vibrant (and correct).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
lovepink42
Earning My Ears

yes i think you're right about the shells too. and it's probably true that if my immediate thought is that it is probably fake it most likely is. i am just trying to make sure before i try and contact people for refunds. i don't mind having scrapper/fake pins, i just don't want to have paid for them, lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: