DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I keep seeing the resale value of "80% of direct cost." Which in recent years the gap has been much wider, making the case for resale a much easier sell, and direct purchase a much harder sell.

Perhaps DVC decided that the point at which most buyers would go retail over resale, is when the gap is at approximately 20% or less. So maybe, just perhaps, they are attempting to drive UP resale prices (through ROFR activity) to narrow the gap. That would certainly benefit current owners, if they are ever forced to sell.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #32
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
My response was just to say right now that data is not there even the most knowledgeable broker has no idea.
There's always a measure of guesswork, but your experience actually proved my point.

You'll note that your broker WAS following the ROFR activity and was very current. Not all brokers would have had that info at their fingertips -- heck, some wouldn't even have taken your call!
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
crisi
DIS Veteran

DVD can also maintain or even lower the price of classic resorts to create the optimal price differential. They have a lot of control over the situation that ordinary mortals don't have to drive direct sales.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Well it appears as if I just reversed jinxed myself, as I finally got a contract through ROFR (after having four ROFR'ed in February and March). Thus proving once again that when it comes to ROFR, we're all just guessing.
And that is the way DVC has historically used ROFR, to keep you guessing, not to establish and easily discernible breakpoint.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
I keep seeing the resale value of "80% of direct cost." Which in recent years the gap has been much wider, making the case for resale a much easier sell, and direct purchase a much harder sell.

Perhaps DVC decided that the point at which most buyers would go retail over resale, is when the gap is at approximately 20% or less. So maybe, just perhaps, they are attempting to drive UP resale prices (through ROFR activity) to narrow the gap. That would certainly benefit current owners, if they are ever forced to sell.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
This is a good point. But even if resale prices get to that point, I don't think the question is "resale vs. direct", I think the question is "buy DVC or not?" It would be a mistake to look at the resale prices and conclude that it is not worth the hassle to only save 20% and therefore buy direct without first engaging in an analysis to determine if DVC is actually worth it vs. the other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
And that is the way DVC has historically used ROFR, to keep you guessing, not to establish and easily discernible breakpoint.
Well it's working, because I went from stalking the resale boards and making a significant number of offers to sitting on the sidelines. I'm slightly more optimistic after having this contract pass, but I have had four in a row get taken this year, so it's taking the wind out of my sails a bit.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #36
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
...I don't think the question is "resale vs. direct", I think the question is "buy DVC or not?" It would be a mistake to look at the resale prices and conclude that it is not worth the hassle to only save 20% and therefore buy direct without first engaging in an analysis to determine if DVC is actually worth it vs. the other options.
That really is the critical question, and unfortunately not one which gets asked as much as it should.

People get blinded -- first by the pixie dust, and later trying to figure out the minutiae, without first having answered the two most basic questions:
  1. Do I want to own a TIMESHARE?
  2. Is DVC the best timeshare for my family's needs, or would another alternative be better?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #37
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
There's always a measure of guesswork, but your experience actually proved my point.

You'll note that your broker WAS following the ROFR activity and was very current. Not all brokers would have had that info at their fingertips -- heck, some wouldn't even have taken your call!
Very true but heck it still is not getting me a contract!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
That really is the critical question, and unfortunately not one which gets asked as much as it should.

People get blinded -- first by the pixie dust, and later trying to figure out the minutiae, without first having answered the two most basic questions:
  1. Do I want to own a TIMESHARE?
  2. Is DVC the best timeshare for my family's needs, or would another alternative be better?
Unfortunately a large % of DVC buyers assume DVC is the best option without getting enough info to make a truly informed decision. For many not only is a non DVC timeshare the cheapest option, it's also the best single option.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #39
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Unfortunately a large % of DVC buyers assume DVC is the best option without getting enough info to make a truly informed decision. For many not only is a non DVC timeshare the cheapest option, it's also the best single option.
I'll go even further than that. For many, not owning ANY timeshare is a better option.

Timeshares are great for many families, but they're not the same as picking up the phone or going on the internet and making a hotel reservation. There is a significant learning curve with any timeshare system just to get started, and to get the full benefit one really must master several systems -- at a minimum, your system and the exchange system your company uses.

And timesharing involves a good deal of planning. I have a friend who is going to Washington DC this summer. When I talked to her yesterday, she asked, "Are you going with us?" We haven't ever vacationed with them, and haven't even mentioned doing so (that I know of -- the DWs may have been conspiring). I asked when they were going, and they have a range of dates in June/early July but haven't settled on exact dates.

If we'd planned ahead, I probably could have gotten us a great deal on lodging. But with six of us (DWs X 2, DD/BFFs X 2, DHs X 2 tagging along for the ride and paying the bills ), that is probably an impossibility now. If the discussion gets more serious, I'll check the various RCI options and maybe something acceptable will pop up.

Our friends are great people, schoolteachers with known schedules a year or more in advance, like to travel and have plenty of money, but they are not planners. Timesharing would be a big mistake for them.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #40
johde
DIS Veteran

Another thing to consider in Disney's increased ROFR activity is the availability of "New" contracts in the comming months. They are currently activly selling AKV and Aulani. If AKV sells out quickly Disney would probably like to have onsite options to sell until the Grand Floridian Villas starts selling. On top of that, if the Grand Floridian Villas start selling with an equally grand price tag, Disney may want to have an increased inventory of classic resorts to offer as alternatives at a lower price.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by johde View Post
Disney may want to have an increased inventory of classic resorts to offer as alternatives at a lower price.
historically, the guides have been reluctant to offer classic resorts to prospective buyers, leading many of us to suspect that guides are not compensated in such a way as to motivate sales of classic resorts.

if DVC actively starts marketing OKW, BCV and such, that would be a sign that ROFR activity will pick up significantly...

(but due to differing expiration dates for the classic resorts and the costs of ROFR activity, it will be interesting to watch and see if that is the direction they go...)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I have a friend who is going to Washington DC this summer. ... they have a range of dates in June/early July but haven't settled on exact dates. ...If the discussion gets more serious, I'll check the various RCI options and maybe something acceptable will pop up.
This is OT for this thread, but unless you consider Williamsburg to be "DC", you're out of luck. Wyndham banked June/July months ago---and that's assuming that National Harbor even made it in. I've never seen Old Town Alexandria deposited. I can't think of anyone else with a DC resort.

(As it happens, I'm typing this from a 2BR at the latter right now. Unfortunately, looks like we are going to *just* miss peak Cherry Blossom.)
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
This is OT for this thread, but unless you consider Williamsburg to be "DC", you're out of luck. Wyndham banked June/July months ago---and that's assuming that National Harbor even made it in. I've never seen Old Town Alexandria deposited. I can't think of anyone else with a DC resort.

(As it happens, I'm typing this from a 2BR at the latter right now. Unfortunately, looks like we are going to *just* miss peak Cherry Blossom.)
*jealous*

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

We did walk around the Tidal Basin yesterday afternoon. 2-3 of the trees had "popped" but most were still several days away.

We are really enjoying OTA. Steps from the King Street Metro stop, the units are a good size and nicely furnished. About the only thing it doesn't have is in-unit washer/dryer but there are free machines on each floor---not as convenient but there if you need them. We're here for a couple more days and it's been a great base from which to explore. We parked in the underground garage (free) and haven't moved the car since we got here.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: