DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
kenspidey
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 233

So whats the conventional wisdom

With all this ROFR activity and prices on the rise should a buyer just wait it out ... Will prices return to normal after a few months?
kenspidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,335

Unknown, IMO DVD/DVC is in flux reinventing itself after losing 2 head executives in the last year and a half. They are beefing up their sales call centers and seem to not be in a rush to complete VGF.

They have also raised their prices and revamped their interest schedule while advertising the older resorts. Seems like a marketing shift.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 60,118

I think it's a good time to sell BWV!
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Silver19
Avocado Margarita
 
Silver19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
I think it's a good time to sell BWV!
Sell them to meeee!
Silver19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 60,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver19 View Post
Sell them to meeee!
I do hope you get to buy a BWV contract soon.
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
johde
DIS Veteran
 
johde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,640

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenspidey View Post
Will prices return to normal after a few months?
The question is what is "normal". For most of DVC's history, they have been fairly active in exercising their ROFR and at best you got a small discount off retail. It's only been since 2008 and the financial crisis that these "low prices" have been around.
__________________
Jeremy

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenspidey View Post
With all this ROFR activity and prices on the rise should a buyer just wait it out ... Will prices return to normal after a few months?
I don't know about the conventional wisdom, but I would say buy when it makes economic sense. In honor of opening day, I'll paraphrase Yogi Berra (not sure if he really said it, but the quote is often attributed to him): Predictions are difficult to make, especially about the future. If you are ready to use a contract that you find of the right size, location, UY, and whatever other parameters you like, and the price makes economic sense, then pull the trigger. If not, then wait until you find what you are looking for. I don't see any particular reason to either jump in quickly or wait on the sidelines, it just depends on finding the right contract at the right price when you are ready to make use of it.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer
 
MoreTravels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 172

You also have to factor in that these contracts are expiring. So many resorts have less than 30 years left. And in a few years, almost 20 years. So it is a big decline like 3% loss per year. I don't think price will stay the same. It will like drop.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,485

Quote:
Originally Posted by johde View Post
The question is what is "normal". For most of DVC's history, they have been fairly active in exercising their ROFR and at best you got a small discount off retail. It's only been since 2008 and the financial crisis that these "low prices" have been around.
Agree. I see the current ROFR activity as more of a return to normal.

In that environment, I think two things gain increased importance:
  • The DIS' ROFR thread...especially paying close attention to CURRENT price points clearing ROFR. It doesn't matter what someone paid six months ago. What matters is what will clear ROFR tomorrow.
  • The knowledge, experience, and attention to detail that some brokers (certainly NOT all) bring to the table. Lazy, inattentive, unresponsive, and stupid will kill you in this environment.

Back in the good old days -- pre-2008 -- those two factors made or broke many deals. I can't tell you how many tearful threads I've read where someone got ROFR'd because they tried to squeeze the last $100 out of a deal.

Buying doesn't count unless YOU end up with the points, so I think prospective buyers should be researching much more than cheap prices and should look for solid professionalism in their broker.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenspidey View Post
With all this ROFR activity and prices on the rise should a buyer just wait it out ... Will prices return to normal after a few months?
If DVC truly makes sense for you, then I wouldn't wait. After prices increase again and GF starts selling, there may be another jump. My definition of DVC making sense is buying to use only at DVC resort (no DCL, etc) for someone that goes routinely (at least about EOY) and that values on property enough to pay for it now. I like to see either a 20% savings over what one normally spends or a 20% increased value as a minimum.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Agree. [*]The DIS' ROFR thread...especially paying close attention to CURRENT price points clearing ROFR. It doesn't matter what someone paid six months ago. What matters is what will clear ROFR tomorrow.[*]The knowledge, experience, and attention to detail that some brokers (certainly NOT all) bring to the table. Lazy, inattentive, unresponsive, and stupid will kill you in this environment.[/LIST]
I agree with what you are saying BUT right now there is not enough current data to know what will pass! When my contract was sent BWV 55.00PP there were recent contracts that passed at 50.00 - 60.00PP and none taken that I know of that was 6 weeks ago.

People are offering more then asking and still getting ROFR'd BWV getting taken at 69.00PP and its not a loaded contract. The only data that seems kind of consistent is the completely stripped contracts going through.

I did call TSS to ask our broker what would be a good price for a 350 point BWV contract fully loaded and its listed at 60.00PP - he rambled off 5 contracts that were taken that day as high as 69.00PP maybe what I should have asked was what is passing through???

I just do not think right now there is enough data to make that decision. I really like this contract but if I have to pay 70.00 - 75.00PP I would not be buying 350 points - I will adjust with the market if the contract gets taken.

I am glad we are not going to disney until 2014 and have enough points if we borrow to get us through!
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
I agree with what you are saying BUT right now there is not enough current data to know what will pass! When my contract was sent BWV 55.00PP there were recent contracts that passed at 50.00 - 60.00PP and none taken that I know of that was 6 weeks ago.

People are offering more then asking and still getting ROFR'd BWV getting taken at 69.00PP and its not a loaded contract. The only data that seems kind of consistent is the completely stripped contracts going through.

I did call TSS to ask our broker what would be a good price for a 350 point BWV contract fully loaded and its listed at 60.00PP - he rambled off 5 contracts that were taken that day as high as 69.00PP maybe what I should have asked was what is passing through???

I just do not think right now there is enough data to make that decision. I really like this contract but if I have to pay 70.00 - 75.00PP I would not be buying 350 points - I will adjust with the market if the contract gets taken.

I am glad we are not going to disney until 2014 and have enough points if we borrow to get us through!
The point from my post from above is that DVD maybe making changes and what passed ROFR yesterday might not today or tomorrow. We don't really know where they set their threshold, how it's set or how often they change it. They can have a meeting tomorrow morning and be told to buy everything in sight.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The point from my post from above is that DVD maybe making changes and what passed ROFR yesterday might not today or tomorrow. We don't really know where they set their threshold, how it's set or how often they change it. They can have a meeting tomorrow morning and be told to buy everything in sight.

Bill
I would suggest that they may have already had that meeting, or one very similar.

Bottom line, this is not a time to buy. I've had six contracts sent to ROFR in the past two months. Four have been taken and I'm still waiting to hear back on the other two (they'll likely be taken as well). Point is, I haven't done anything to try to replace those four...I'm not tying up my money or putting in the time or effort just to pad DVD's inventory.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,125

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The point from my post from above is that DVD maybe making changes and what passed ROFR yesterday might not today or tomorrow. We don't really know where they set their threshold, how it's set or how often they change it. They can have a meeting tomorrow morning and be told to buy everything in sight.

Bill
Thanks Bill I understood what you were saying my response was for JimMia he was saying for buyer to look at:

The DIS' ROFR thread...especially paying close attention to CURRENT price points clearing ROFR. It doesn't matter what someone paid six months ago. What matters is what will clear ROFR tomorrow.
The knowledge, experience, and attention to detail that some brokers (certainly NOT all) bring to the table. Lazy, inattentive, unresponsive, and stupid will kill you in this environment.

Buying doesn't count unless YOU end up with the points, so I think prospective buyers should be researching much more than cheap prices and should look for solid professionalism in their broker.

My response was just to say right now that data is not there even the most knowledgeable broker has no idea.
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
Sandisw
Moderator
 
Sandisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 9,684
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
I think it's a good time to sell BWV!
Funny..I told DH the same thing....too bad I love my BWV points and am not parting with them!!
__________________
Sandi



Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: