Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
mrsclaymation
Earning My Ears

I've also been a little concerned about the lack of choices for children. I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a related question - one of my children is on the adult plan, and he is the one who would be happier eating mac and cheese, nuggets, and cheese pizza. Would it be possible for them to swap food after it has been ordered and brought to the table?
mrsclaymation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclaymation View Post
I've also been a little concerned about the lack of choices for children. I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a related question - one of my children is on the adult plan, and he is the one who would be happier eating mac and cheese, nuggets, and cheese pizza. Would it be possible for them to swap food after it has been ordered and brought to the table?
That is perfectly acceptable.

You can easily find all the menus here: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Some suggestions though:
Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree BBQ (CS)- baked chicken leg
Rain Forest Cafe (TS)- burgers, chicken, shrimp, hot dog, grilled cheese, ribs, pasta, and pizza.
Restaurantosaurus (CS)- turkey wrap
Yak and Yeti (TS)- vegetable lo mein

Hollywood Studios
50's Prime Time (TS)- salad for app, meatloaf for meal, fruit salad for dessert; also grilled fish and grilled chicken
ABC Commissary (CS)- turkey sandwich
Brown Derby (TS)- apps of salad, soup, or carrot sticks dippers. entree's of grouper, grilled chicken,
Mama Melroses (TS)- Grilled Fish of the Day with Whole-Grain Pilaf, Green Beans and Carrots, Apps: Garden Salad, Vegetarian Minestrone Soup. Chicken Parmigiana

Epcot:
Coral Reef (TS)- apps of soup of the day. entree of mahi mahi, grilled chicken, pizza. grilled fish of the day.
Sunshine Seasons (CS): sweet and sour chicken w/ rice, Caesar salad w/ oak fired grilled chicken and a side, pizza panini, chicken leg w/ mashed potatoes or rice,

There is a ton of variety in the TS restaurants in World Showcase!

MK:
Columbia Harbour House (CS): tuna sandwich
Liberty Tree Tavern (TS): apps include salad and soup, entrees include oven roasted turkey and BBQ chicken and pineapple flatbread.
Plaza Restaurant (TS): apps include tomato soup and garden salad, entrees include burgers, grilled cheese, and turkey sandwich. This is a sandwich shop though. good sandwiches!
Tony's Town Square (TS)- apps include a garden salad, entrees include fish of the day, spaghetti, grilled cheese dippers, Mickey shaped ravioli, steak skewer "speidini"

There is plenty of variety if one is willing to do the work to find it. Check out the link for the menus. It has prices also. Especially at World Showcase in Epcot. Tons of variety there!

Last edited by worm761; 04-01-2013 at 02:45 PM.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Great post worm! I don't like when people comment all the time about only PB&J or nuggets on the plan. Don't get me wrong - I KNOW it is a lot of that - but with planning, it is more than possible to get variety in kids meals. I have found in conversations with people that it is not truly variety that they are after a lot of time (not necessarily with the posters here), but that there is not the specific variety that their kid likes.

Anyway - thought I would add that we frequently use our kids credits at resort food courts and have found a lot of variety there. For example, Pop Century:
Pasta with meatball
Beef & broccoli
Chicken Noodle Soup

Or at Poly:
Chicken & Pineapple Skewer
Fish & vegetables

We would use our kids credits there and share an adult credit or two (with a couple extra sides using snacks) when at the parks if there weren't good kids options. Between that and eating at WS in EPCOT, plus places like Starring Rolls (no kids menu) - we would get plenty of variety.

Then, for TS - I would choose many of our options based on kids menus, with one or two specifically for the adults and not worry about it. We do 2 - 3 buffets since kids can eat plenty of beef, chicken, salads, fruits, etc. here. We might do a place like Tonys where there is pasta or ravioli for kids.

Keep in mind everyone that the kids DP is pretty cheap - so you can't imagine there would be more than cheap options on there or a lot of variety. But there is a bunch of variety if you look.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

OP, this is why we used to do the deluxe DDP. With a typical day of one character buffet and one signature, my kids never ate a single chicken nugget in several trips. Now we have a Disney adult and, originally, I wasn't going to consider the DxDDP but, the more I research, I figure DxDDP or OOP (with younger two splitting entrees at places with unacceptable kid's meals) are our best options.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
I don't like when people comment all the time about only PB&J or nuggets on the plan. Don't get me wrong - I KNOW it is a lot of that - but with planning, it is more than possible to get variety in kids meals. I have found in conversations with people that it is not truly variety that they are after a lot of time (not necessarily with the posters here), but that there is not the specific variety that their kid likes.

Keep in mind everyone that the kids DP is pretty cheap - so you can't imagine there would be more than cheap options on there or a lot of variety. But there is a bunch of variety if you look.
I am just very glad I found this board before our trip to Disney and started researching, otherwise I wouldn't know where to go to get the variety of food options that my kids eat.

I think that the person who is totally unprepared for Disney (who has not done the research), and just goes to the random CS will most likely find the "traditional" offerings (PB&J, nuggets, mac n cheese). I am glad I am able to plan, and preview the menus in advance and pre-pick out the CS places (or have a list) that have food we would eat.

There are a lot of families out there that their kids like a variety of foods and a verried diet with non typical kids foods.

I feel better prepared of knowing what is at each place, and can make a list of eating places that my kids would prefer their choices (either kids if available or adult if no kid meal available) at.

And thanks for your additional suggestions..my kids would love some of those.

And BTW, it is not just Disney that has the traditional kids foods. We do King's Island and Cedar Point all the time, and a lot of their kids meals are chicken strips, Mac N Cheese, or hamburger....we rarely eat in the park when we visit Cedar Point (King's Island is local, so even more rare to have a full meal there) for a weekend trip, we usually head back to the rental house/room and fix meals there, with one meal in the park during our stay. Or we pack our own lunch, and have dinner back at the rental unit.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I think in the week we were at WDW in March on DDP, my kids only ordered chicken nuggets 1 time because that is what they wanted. DD9 said BOG was her favorite place we ate at the entire week we were there, she ordered the meatloaf both for dinner (TS) and lunch (QS) both lunch and dinner came with veggies. (3 of the 6 are still 3-9 kids DD9, DS8, DS4)

At any buffets, children are able to fill their plates from any part of the buffet and are not restricted to the "kids buffet".

There are families who have kids that will only eat typical kids meal offerings: mac 'n cheese, chicken nuggets, pb&j. , and there are others who look for more offerings on kids menus fortunately, it is possible to find both at TS locations and different QS locations.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary7116 View Post
I agree. The same kids choices are found at buffets too. All kids chicken nuggets, pizza etc. are exactly the same too no variation. It's funny you would think Disney would serve higher quality food to their youngest biggest fans.
You do realize that kids and anyone can eat whatever they want off a buffet. Kids are not limited to "kids choices" at buffets. This is why buffets are often recommended for parents who have concerns similar to the OP's who really want to get the dining plan.

They have traditional "kid foods" because that's what the majority wants. There are a lot of options at Disney for those who are inclined to research, though.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #23
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

My husband and I took our then 3 1/2 y/o GS to WDW last Feb (2012). Knowing this kid had a more cultured palate, is not allowed to eat very much of the typical kids food at home, and has been eating out with his parents since he was born, so is very well behaved in restaurants, we chose to do the DxDDP. I booked almost every character meal Disney offers, so he has the choice of all items on the buffets. As far as other TS meals, he enjoyed Yak & Yeti, Ohana, 50's Prime Time, Coral Reef, Whispering Canyon, Paradsio 37 and T Rex. He did get a hamburger/mini hot dog combo meal at Paradiso 37 and a dino chicken nugget meal at T Rex, but otherwise did not eat a hamburger or chicken nugget all week. I didn't realize that kids don't get a 'real' appetizer on the DxDDP, so most meals he shared our appetizers and was then satisfied with his entree. I did look on the menus at Allears before I made ADRs, to make sure he had some decent options. This kid is not a fan of chicken nuggets, fries, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, etc, so I was concerned that he might actually starve down there, even on the DxDDP or that I'd be forced to eat his kids meals, while he noshed on mine. lol However, we found plenty of 'real food' for him to eat, just by doing our research ahead of time.

Last edited by aubriee; 04-04-2013 at 04:33 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
~April~
Mouseketeer

I originally thought this also. My 11 year old who has all the adult options prefers the child options he flat out refuses to eat any meat, pizza, PB&J, grilled cheese, mac and cheese and fruit is pretty much it for him. Our daughter who just turned 7 and a child for disney dinning eats a variety and very healthy, we have spent hours (literally) looking at menus, both counter service and table service. 3 of our 7 nights will be at differnt buffets that we thought offered something for every one of our family members, the other 4 were restraunts that had many options. There is a couple of occasions that I think my 11 year old and 7 year old will swap plates.

I agree with the poster that mentioned checking out resorts. I LOVE the menu at our resort and have heard so many great reviews that a couple of the days we will be eating there. we had planned to go back for some swim time and maybe for my youngest to nap (she has a heart condition and tires easily) so those days we will be hitting up the CS there, POR, they offer an option of make your own salad and make your own pasta along with several others.
~April~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: