Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle mansion View Post
Walt Disney designed the entrance to the Magic Kingdom to reveal itself as if you were walking into the opening of a Disney movie. *As you pass under the Main Street Railroad Station, you'll notice movie posters on the walls, just as you would if you were walking into the entrance of a theater. *The curtain "rises" as you emerge from the tunnels and take in the "opening act" of the Town Square and Main Street, U.S.A. Music fills the air as you smell fresh popped theater popcorn from the old-fashioned popcorn cart, which Disney Imagineers ensure*is always stationed nearby. *Next, as you begin to walk down Main Street, U.S.A., you'll see the "opening credits" displayed on the windows of the second and third stories of the buildings lining the street. *These credits are the names of the Cast Members who played a major role in the creation of Walt Disney World. Fittingly, Walt Disney's name is the first and last one you'll see on Main Street, U.S.A., just as the Director of a movie is listed at both the opening and ending of the credits. Guests are greeted by a window at the Main Street Railroad Station which reads, "Walt Disney World Railroad Office - Keeping Dreams on Track - Walter E. Disney - Chief Engineer -" A second window for Walt Disney can be found at the far end of Main Street, U.S.A. on the second floor of the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, facing Cinderella Castle.

I liked this. I always thought it was interesting. it's taken from the WDW Secrets app by Notescast.
Just took the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Walt's brother, Roy O. Disney Sr., has the 1st window on Main Street (above the Main Street Confectionery) because he has the 1st billing as producer. Walt, as the director, has 2nd billing a little further down Main Street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._window_honors

Last edited by lucas; 03-31-2013 at 04:58 PM.
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

Apparently none of the flags are real in Magic Kingdom other than the one in town square. The others have a variation of how many stars or stripes are in them, so they do not have to be taken down at the end of the day.
frankieeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #33
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

In the Morocco pavilion, all the mosaics have at least one cracked or imperfect tile. This is because the Moroccans, who helped build the pavilion, believe that Allah alone can create perfection, and thus, deliberately caused minor flaws in their work.

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #34
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I call the pavilions there "death houses".
That is hilarious. My daughter sent me a picture of some of those death scenes not too long ago. I can't wait to share that with my dad, and also my food and wine group in October - they expect a good show from their tour guide too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintasare View Post
The Hollywood Brown Derby Restaurant in DHS has no hidden characters in it at all. This is due to it not originally being a Disney property. And you can order two original Brown Derby Favorites, the Cobb Salads and the Grapefruit Cake.

When you near the top of the hill climb on EE look to your left. You can see Spaceship Earth.
Interesting lack of hidden characters. I like the Brown Derby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Thought of another one.

In Future World East, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize an angular, artificial appearance. All pavilions are based on man-made concepts.

In Future World West, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize a free-flowing, natural appearance. All pavilions are based on the natural world. (Though I can't quite fit the Imagination Pavilion into this design personally.)
Maybe this is why I like the West side more!

I just read that the sidewalk changes color in between Morocco and France to signify the Straits of Gibraltar.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #35
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Princess View Post

The off color brown pavement in Liberty Square represents the sewage that would have run through a colonial town.
There are no restrooms in Liberty Square because there was no indoor plumbing during the time represented.

When EPCOT first opened, the cast members referred to it as 'Extreme Polyester Costumes Of Torture'

It takes 45 minutes to drain Splash Mountain, but it takes around 3 hours to fill it back up.

All the water features in the Magic Kingdom are linked. The water is dyed to look more natural. The dye is added at the water fall in The Jungle Cruise so that it's mixed properly.

You can not buy a night in the fantasy suite in Cinderella's castle. It must be won.

Cinderella's Royal Table was originally called King Stefan's Banquet hall. This was because in medieval times, the castle's banquet hall was named in honor of a neighboring kingdom. The closest kingdom would have been Disneyland - Sleeping Beauty's castle - which was King Stefan. However, this caused confusion among tourists, so it was renamed to Cinderella's Royal Table.

Last edited by Chuckers; 03-31-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
The odd pink color of Tower of Terror is supposedly to make it blend with Morocco when viewed across WS lagoon from near Mexico.
This is true
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #37
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

Wait, what now? People actually have their eyes open at the top of the elevator on Twilight Zone? Mine are already closed tight and I'm getting ready to scream.
What's funnier is that my BFF is the one who pointed it out to me. I am a thrill seeker - no coaster too tall - and she is afraid of heights!! My eyes are always open but I guess I never paid attention...
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
LiveYourLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
and mural at the contemporary.
I assume you know where the Mountain Goat with five legs is?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
I assume you know where the Mountain Goat with five legs is?
I do remember reading about that, BUT I have never seen it. That will be fun to find. I am definitely taking my father to the Contemporary for visit. Thanks for pointing that out. Is it easy to see?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #40
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
There are no restrooms in Liberty Square because there was no indoor plumbing during the time represented.

When EPCOT first opened, the cast members referred to it as 'Extreme Polyester Costumes Of Torture'

It takes 45 minutes to drain Splash Mountain, but it takes around 3 hours to fill it back up.

All the water features in the Magic Kingdom are linked. The water is dyed to look more natural. The dye is added at the water fall in The Jungle Cruise so that it's mixed properly.

You can not buy a night in the fantasy suite in Cinderella's castle. It must be won.

Cinderella's Royal Table was originally called King Stefan's Banquet hall. This was because in medieval times, the castle's banquet hall was named in honor of a neighboring kingdom. The closest kingdom would have been Disneyland - Sleeping Beauty's castle - which was King Stefan. However, this caused confusion among tourists, so it was renamed to Cinderella's Royal Table.
I have never read that!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #41
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

I took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour in the MK and the guide told us that the Walt/Mickey statue and the Roy/Minnie statue are purposely placed in their spots as if Walt is pointing to Roy and telling his buddy Mickey that he can look to his brother when he is gone. Brought a little tear to my eye!
jaz0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #42
jwwi
DIS Veteran

I love all the interesting information, great thread. I have one, the only 3D hidden Mickey is in the lobby of the Villa section of the WL. Found that out on a WL tour, free and worth the time if you stay there.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #43
LiveYourLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I do remember reading about that, BUT I have never seen it. That will be fun to find. I am definitely taking my father to the Contemporary for visit. Thanks for pointing that out. Is it easy to see?
Fairly easy. I don't want to ruin the finding it for you and I'm trying to think of a hint, but I can't without spoiling it! Lol! Have fun!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #44
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
Fairly easy. I don't want to ruin the finding it for you and I'm trying to think of a hint, but I can't without spoiling it! Lol! Have fun!
Thanks we are on it! It will be fun.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

I heard this story when i did lunch with an imagineer

The imagineer that came up with the idea to add mr. Toad to the pet cemetery still works for disney
He pitched the idea to his boss, and the idea sat on a shelf for a few years
When he pitched it again, we was given approval but no budget
Since he couldnt pay for a custom made statue in his budget, he instead found an old mr. Toad garden gnome from disneyland that was discontinued for sale from a gift shop a few years prior
He snuck in at night after the park closed and personally dug the hole and built the foundation for the statue without telling anyone about his plan
He waited until the night before halloween to install the statue
"Mysteriously...." The toad statue appeared the morning of halloween
He said the cast members on the mansion thought someone was going to get fired for messing with the cemetery!
He also said that morning one of the trainers that worked on the mansion for years gave a tour to new cast members and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw it! She thought it had been covered by bushes and just hadnt seen it!
After letting rumors fly for a while (few hours or days, i forget), he finally came clean and wrote it into the attraction's back story
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: