Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Are you guys familiar with the Main St Windows? Guessing so if he's a bit of a historian, but if not, I would research those so that you can dazzle him with the history.

One of the Jungle Cruise "natives" says, "I love Disco."

The plane that's crashed on the JC is just half of the plane. The other half is at DHS - in the Casablanca scene.

In COP, in the "Spring" scene there are birds in the window behind the Dad. If they look a little familiar, that's because they're the same birds that whistle along with Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins' "Spoonful of Sugar" sequence.

DAK was supposed to have Beastly Kingdom(me) - which never was constructed. However, as you go across the bridge towards FOTLK, you can see a waterfall off to the right, dumping into the river. It's in the shape of a dragon, the last little homage to the land that never was.

EPCOT has utilidors, too. They only go under the front part of Future World, and are far less "infamous" than the MK's, but they exist.

In DHS, when you ride ToT, look off to the right from the top of the elevator and you can see Blizzard Beach. (Okay, not a terribly historical factoid, but I couldn't think of one for DHS and it felt left out!! LOL!)

There are more - mostly in the MK - but not sure what type of stuff you guys already know...
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
Are you guys familiar with the Main St Windows? Guessing so if he's a bit of a historian, but if not, I would research those so that you can dazzle him with the history.

One of the Jungle Cruise "natives" says, "I love Disco."

The plane that's crashed on the JC is just half of the plane. The other half is at DHS - in the Casablanca scene.

In COP, in the "Spring" scene there are birds in the window behind the Dad. If they look a little familiar, that's because they're the same birds that whistle along with Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins' "Spoonful of Sugar" sequence.

DAK was supposed to have Beastly Kingdom(me) - which never was constructed. However, as you go across the bridge towards FOTLK, you can see a waterfall off to the right, dumping into the river. It's in the shape of a dragon, the last little homage to the land that never was.

EPCOT has utilidors, too. They only go under the front part of Future World, and are far less "infamous" than the MK's, but they exist.

In DHS, when you ride ToT, look off to the right from the top of the elevator and you can see Blizzard Beach. (Okay, not a terribly historical factoid, but I couldn't think of one for DHS and it felt left out!! LOL!)

There are more - mostly in the MK - but not sure what type of stuff you guys already know...
What's cool about this, is that some of this I have read and some not. But, I had forgotten some of it. This is a good way to refresh my memory. I appreciate the info. I have read about the dragon, but I always forget to find it. Your DHS comment cracked me up.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer_mickey View Post
To find out how far apart to put trashcans, guests were given a candy at the gates to see how long they would hold onto the wrapper. Walt counted their steps, figuring it was 30, so trashcans are no more than 30 steps from each other.

Mickey has 290 different costumes and Minnie has 200.

A Liberty Bell replica was given to every state. Since Pennsylvania has the real one, they gave their replica to Disney, making Florida the only state to have two.

It took less than 30 minutes to evacuate all the guests on 9/11.

Each species of animal in AK have their own sound that they are trained to come back to be fed when they hear it played over the loudspeakers.
The liberty bell story is perfect! Thank you.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I am totally mesmerized by Mary Blair's work in its a small world, gran fiesta tour, and mural at the contemporary. The king of Morocco sent his artisans over to work on the Morocco Pavillion, I also like to point out to people that part of the Boardwalk lake and canals are above the highway! That is very difficult to comprehend even when looking at it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
smkohn
Mouseketeer

In the WDW version of Haunted Mansion, the stretching room ceiling rises up. However, in the DisneyLand version the stretching room is an elevator of sorts and the floor drops down.

When Epcot was completed, ambassadors from each country around World Showcase brought water from their country to pour into the Fountain of Nations. During one of Epcot's anniversaries, this water pouring ceremony was done again.

Spaceship Earth has 11,324 triangles, was originally designed to be gold, and has a drainage system built into it so that when it rains the water does not pour off the sides. Instead, it is collected and funneled into World Showcase Lagoon.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
ironz
could always use some pixie dust

There are also lots of facts to be learned on the AK "Wild by Design" tour. I don't want to spoil them all, but one is that authentic African thatch-workers did the thatch work on the buildings in the Africa section and at AKL. Also, notice at Flame Tree BBQ, the art all depicts predators/prey.

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
Mickey's Best Girl
Peace, Love & Mickey Mouse.... what else is there?

Animal Kingdom is the only Park that has doors on the washrooms. This is due to the safety of guests in the very unlikely event that a dangerous animal escapes. The doors all have deadbolts on them.
The entire park has enough enclosed rooms/buildings to safely keep guests if such an even occurs.
Sept. '89, offsite ** Oct. '98, offsite ** April '06, Pop ** Dec. '07, Pop ** Nov. '08, CBR ** Nov. '09 4 nights @ POR - 3 nights on DCL Wonder - 7 nights @ Pop ** April '10, Pop ** Nov. '10, Pop ** April '11, Pop ** Oct. '11, Pop - endured 40th anniversary mayhem and lived to tell the story, barely ** April '12, Pop ** October '12, AOA Mermaid ** October '13, Pop
Mickey's Best Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post

In DHS, when you ride ToT, look off to the right from the top of the elevator and you can see Blizzard Beach.
Wait, what now? People actually have their eyes open at the top of the elevator on Twilight Zone? Mine are already closed tight and I'm getting ready to scream.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironz View Post
Also, notice at Flame Tree BBQ, the art all depicts predators/prey.
I call the pavilions there "death houses".
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

This is all so interesting!

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
CapnJacksGirl
Mom to two little scalliwags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
The odd pink color of Tower of Terror is supposedly to make it blend with Morocco when viewed across WS lagoon from near Mexico.
There was a similar thread a month or so ago on which someone posted a photo of Morocco, taken from across the lagoon, and you could see ToT in the distance. The color and building style blended right in. If I can find the photo, I'll post the link later.

CapnJacksGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJacksGirl View Post

There was a similar thread a month or so ago on which someone posted a photo of Morocco, taken from across the lagoon, and you could see ToT in the distance. The color and building style blended right in. If I can find the photo, I'll post the link later.
I've taken a few myself from this angle.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

The Hollywood Brown Derby Restaurant in DHS has no hidden characters in it at all. This is due to it not originally being a Disney property. And you can order two original Brown Derby Favorites, the Cobb Salads and the Grapefruit Cake.

When you near the top of the hill climb on EE look to your left. You can see Spaceship Earth.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Jungle mansion
Do what it says!!

Walt Disney designed the entrance to the Magic Kingdom to reveal itself as if you were walking into the opening of a Disney movie. *As you pass under the Main Street Railroad Station, you'll notice movie posters on the walls, just as you would if you were walking into the entrance of a theater. *The curtain "rises" as you emerge from the tunnels and take in the "opening act" of the Town Square and Main Street, U.S.A. Music fills the air as you smell fresh popped theater popcorn from the old-fashioned popcorn cart, which Disney Imagineers ensure*is always stationed nearby. *Next, as you begin to walk down Main Street, U.S.A., you'll see the "opening credits" displayed on the windows of the second and third stories of the buildings lining the street. *These credits are the names of the Cast Members who played a major role in the creation of Walt Disney World. Fittingly, Walt Disney's name is the first and last one you'll see on Main Street, U.S.A., just as the Director of a movie is listed at both the opening and ending of the credits. Guests are greeted by a window at the Main Street Railroad Station which reads, "Walt Disney World Railroad Office - Keeping Dreams on Track - Walter E. Disney - Chief Engineer -" A second window for Walt Disney can be found at the far end of Main Street, U.S.A. on the second floor of the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, facing Cinderella Castle.

I liked this. I always thought it was interesting. it's taken from the WDW Secrets app by Notescast.

"Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas."
Jungle mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Thought of another one.

In Future World East, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize an angular, artificial appearance. All pavilions are based on man-made concepts.

In Future World West, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize a free-flowing, natural appearance. All pavilions are based on the natural world. (Though I can't quite fit the Imagination Pavilion into this design personally.)

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: