Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #136
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran
 
AuroraMeansDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 941

Don't think I've seen these here yet but if you walk from Frontierland to Liberty Square and look up at the addresses on the buildings they represent the years that the construction represents. Also look at how Pecos Bills goes from stucco, to partial stucco and brick to full brick construction.

And my personal favorite was about opening day. Most of us know Walt voiced Mickey at the beginning. When his beloved big brother Roy opened the MK at WDW he said a few words and then whispered to the man next to him and a few minutes later, Mickey appeared with him and he said something along the lines of "If my brother could not stand next to me I wanted the next best thing" There wasn't a dry eye on our tour on that note. Even my big old burly DH and 18 YO DS got misty. Heck, I teared up typing it.
__________________
Dawn
"...and they named the princess Aurora, which means Dawn"
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #137
hardrocker1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 46

This is a great thread! I am learning a lot. Can someone tell me more about the Keys to the Kingdom Tour? How much it cost, where to get the tickets, etc?

Thanks!
__________________
1st time to WDW: In 1985, when I was 12
2nd time: In 2005 with dh and ds #1
Upcoming trip: June 2013, with dh, ds #1 (16) and ds#2 (5) and MIL
hardrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #138
PanamaMike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARAMEOW View Post
WDW releases 10.5 million insects each year into the resort to get rid of unwanted plant pests.
According to the Disney horticulture fact sheet I have, it's only 4 million and includes lacewings, predatory mites, wasps and beetles.
PanamaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #139
lucas
°o°
 
lucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 21,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrocker1 View Post
This is a great thread! I am learning a lot. Can someone tell me more about the Keys to the Kingdom Tour? How much it cost, where to get the tickets, etc?

Thanks!
It is a 5 hour walking tour that includes lunch/drink and a special pin. Also before the tour you can get a free coffee and a bottle of water to carry during the tour. There are about 20 people per tour and you are given a headset so you can hear your guide. We got to ride the Jungle Cruise and the Haunted Mansion without waiting in line. And you get to go behind the scenes and down in the tunnels under the MK. Definitely worth the money and time. I'm really glad we finally did it after years of going to WDW.

Make sure you ask for discount if appropriate....AAA, AP, DVC (15%), Disney Visa (20%). We called for the ressies and you sign-in at the MK 15 minutes prior to the tour start time.

Here is the info: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ev...-kingdom-tour/
__________________
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #140
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran
 
MHSweb79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,939

On our KTTW tour we were told that sometimes Tinkerbell gets stuck on the zip line (due to headwinds) and if that happens, they turn off her lights and she has to pull herself down, hand over hand.

The elaborate pulley system of doors shown in Monsters, Inc. was modeled after the dry cleaning facility used to clean CM's costumes. We saw a film about it down in the utilidors.

This is a great thread. I have gotten 999,999 on Buzz twice and never knew there was a button! I will have to get one next time. It will drive my DH insane.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #141
OnePrincessMom
Mouseketeer
 
OnePrincessMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 152

There are two Hidden Minnies at WDW. A CM pointed out one to us on the Great Movie Ride at HS (it is on the wall to the left as you board the ride). She told us the other one was on the Jungle Cruise. We asked there, the CM wasn't sure but said he thought it was under the waterfall. We couldn't find it, but it gives us an excuse to go back and look again.
__________________
Mom
DD11
January 2007 Poly | September 2007 CR | December 2008 Pop | September 2009 POFQ | October 2010 POFQ | August 2011 ASMu | July 2012 Disney Magic | January 2013 AoA | August 2013 HHI | August 2014 Disney Fantasy
OnePrincessMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #142
kayemgi
DIS Veteran
 
kayemgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 533

I think I might have a few no one posted yet!

MK:
  • Look at Walt's right hand ring on the statue of him and Mickey
  • The sidewalks are red because Walt wanted to roll out the red carpet for every guest
  • The Lady and the Tramp's paw prints are in front of Tony's Town Square Restaurant
  • There are gems embedded in the sidewalk near Aladdin's Magic Carpets
  • There's a hidden park in Liberty Square behind the Christmas store
  • Look for the bird in her nest in the gear at Harper's Mill (on the Liberty Belle ride) -- she's a tribute to the 1937 short film "The Old Mill"
  • The bride's ring is trampled into the ground by the invisible horse in the concrete at the exit of the Haunted Mansion (this is not at the exit anymore, with the new queue. I forget exactly where it is, but as a CM and they will show you. That's what we did!)
  • Look at where the roof meets the walls in Sir Mickey's Shop in Fantasyland to see Willie the Giant peeking in

Epcot
  • The Sea - The aquarium is so large that Spaceship Earth (160' in diameter) could fit inside with room to spare
  • United Kingdom: Look at the line of shops. The first with the thatched roof represents the 1600s, the next the 1700s (cantilevered build), the next the 1800s (ornate neoclassical)
  • Canada: The large totem pole on the left is real, carved from cedar and weighs over 700 lbs

HS
  • The photos in the Brown Derby in black frames are reproductions, the ones in gold frames are originals from the Brown Derby in LA
  • On the New York street, look for the Singing in the Rain umbrella attached to one of the streetlights near the old Hunchback Theater. Grab the umbrella and step on the black square in the cement underneath it for a surprise.
  • The FastPass computers for Lights! Motors! Action! are not linked to the rest of the Studios' rides, so you can obtain a FastPass for this show immediately after you get them for any other attraction. (I have not personally confirmed this)
  • The Rock 'n Roller Coaster was built first, and then the building was constructed around it.
  • Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story Midway Mania is the first animatronic figure whose mouth looks as though it is actually forming words when he speaks, and he is the only that can remove a body part and then reattach it (his ear).
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #143
lstylr
Mouseketeer
 
lstylr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 113

The bride's ring is now behind a trash can to the right of the Sea Captain's grave in the new queue at Haunted Mansion.

Heard this from a CM today: Beast's castle in New Fantasyland is the same height as Shaq.
__________________
Lisa
lstylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #144
goofy_joe
Mouseketeer
 
goofy_joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
On our KTTW tour we were told that sometimes Tinkerbell gets stuck on the zip line (due to headwinds) and if that happens, they turn off her lights and she has to pull herself down, hand over hand.
Yes, and we were also told that she has a potty mouth when that happens.

They actually put Tinker Bell up on a crane to see how she looks up there. (People have telephoto lenses!) She works for about 20 seconds, but gets paid for an eight-hour day.
__________________
Gawrsh, yah-huh!
goofy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #145
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayemgi View Post
I think I might have a few no one posted yet!

MK:
  • Look at Walt's right hand ring on the statue of him and Mickey
  • The sidewalks are red because Walt wanted to roll out the red carpet for every guest
  • The Lady and the Tramp's paw prints are in front of Tony's Town Square Restaurant
  • There are gems embedded in the sidewalk near Aladdin's Magic Carpets
  • There's a hidden park in Liberty Square behind the Christmas store
  • Look for the bird in her nest in the gear at Harper's Mill (on the Liberty Belle ride) -- she's a tribute to the 1937 short film "The Old Mill"
  • The bride's ring is trampled into the ground by the invisible horse in the concrete at the exit of the Haunted Mansion (this is not at the exit anymore, with the new queue. I forget exactly where it is, but as a CM and they will show you. That's what we did!)
  • Look at where the roof meets the walls in Sir Mickey's Shop in Fantasyland to see Willie the Giant peeking in

Epcot
  • The Sea - The aquarium is so large that Spaceship Earth (160' in diameter) could fit inside with room to spare
  • United Kingdom: Look at the line of shops. The first with the thatched roof represents the 1600s, the next the 1700s (cantilevered build), the next the 1800s (ornate neoclassical)
  • Canada: The large totem pole on the left is real, carved from cedar and weighs over 700 lbs

HS
  • The photos in the Brown Derby in black frames are reproductions, the ones in gold frames are originals from the Brown Derby in LA
  • On the New York street, look for the Singing in the Rain umbrella attached to one of the streetlights near the old Hunchback Theater. Grab the umbrella and step on the black square in the cement underneath it for a surprise.
  • The FastPass computers for Lights! Motors! Action! are not linked to the rest of the Studios' rides, so you can obtain a FastPass for this show immediately after you get them for any other attraction. (I have not personally confirmed this)
  • The Rock 'n Roller Coaster was built first, and then the building was constructed around it.
  • Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story Midway Mania is the first animatronic figure whose mouth looks as though it is actually forming words when he speaks, and he is the only that can remove a body part and then reattach it (his ear).
A lot of fun information here. Speaking of mr. Potato head, Don Rickles spent over 30 hours in the studio recording material for midway mania shtick. Good interview here.

Now, if the imagineers can personalize mr. Potato heads comment towards guests in line via the magic band, I would be impressed. It would be fun to be part of his act!
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #146
Prock
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95

Some MK facts

All of the buildings on Mainstreet are scaled down with each getting smaller from the entrance of MK towards the castle in order to create the forced perspective to make the castle look bigger than it is. That is all the buildings are scaled down except for one, the train station. They did this because the WDWRR uses full sized trains, a smaller building with a large train in front of it would've looked silly

As you walk towards the castle you're actually walking uphill, this is so it slows you down ever so slightly as you enter trying to keep you from running. It is also so as you leave its downhill, which makes you walk just a little bit faster.

Another reason the sidewalks are red on main street is to help you as you read the map. Incase you're too focused on reading the map you'll be able to see that you're on the sidewalk as you stare at your map, and if you see a grayish black you'll know you're on the street.

The cement used on main street (and most of the park) has rubber mixed in with it, so that it will be smoother, unfortunately this is why they can be quite slippery in the rain.

The delicious smell of candy and baked goods you get as you walk down main street are produced by smell machines and pumped through vents.

One of the buildings in liberty square is the old north church, complete with 2 lanterns that illuminate at night…

That brown stripe of sidewalk you see running through liberty square is actually the trench they used for their open sewers.

Underneath the haunted mansion is basically a warehouse for MK, complete with boats from POTC and ITASW, and other various junk from around the park.

One from H.S.
Near hollywood and vine on the second floor one of the windows says valiant and valiant detective agency. And there is a silhouette of roger rabbit bursting through the blinds.

If I can think of more Ill be sure to post them
Prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #147
lucas
°o°
 
lucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 21,423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prock View Post
All of the buildings on Mainstreet are scaled down with each getting smaller from the entrance of MK towards the castle in order to create the forced perspective to make the castle look bigger than it is. That is all the buildings are scaled down except for one, the train station. They did this because the WDWRR uses full sized trains, a smaller building with a large train in front of it would've looked silly

As you walk towards the castle you're actually walking uphill, this is so it slows you down ever so slightly as you enter trying to keep you from running. It is also so as you leave its downhill, which makes you walk just a little bit faster.

Another reason the sidewalks are red on main street is to help you as you read the map. Incase you're too focused on reading the map you'll be able to see that you're on the sidewalk as you stare at your map, and if you see a grayish black you'll know you're on the street.

The cement used on main street (and most of the park) has rubber mixed in with it, so that it will be smoother, unfortunately this is why they can be quite slippery in the rain.

The delicious smell of candy and baked goods you get as you walk down main street are produced by smell machines and pumped through vents.

One of the buildings in liberty square is the old north church, complete with 2 lanterns that illuminate at night…

That brown stripe of sidewalk you see running through liberty square is actually the trench they used for their open sewers.

Underneath the haunted mansion is basically a warehouse for MK, complete with boats from POTC and ITASW, and other various junk from around the park.

One from H.S.
Near hollywood and vine on the second floor one of the windows says valiant and valiant detective agency. And there is a silhouette of roger rabbit bursting through the blinds.

If I can think of more Ill be sure to post them
Our KTTK guide said they once tried to pump the smells out onto Main Street but it was more trouble than worth it and they no longer do that.
__________________
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #148
sandynd
Rookie Desperado
 
sandynd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
It's because Disney does not want any child to feel superior to another child because their parents bought them a night in Cinderella's castle and conversely, they don't want any child to feel less special because their parents CAN'T afford the suite. (At least, that's what we were told by our Tour Guide)
Guess they don't care if Suri Cruise feels superior to everyone else then. Not that she's in any danger of not feeling that way, thanks to her megalomaniacal father. SNORT!! That man makes me angry and scared all at the same time!!
__________________
October 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, OOP dining, extended due to car troubles - read my trip report!
January 2011 - POP, free QSDP - Daddy couldn't make it
May 2009 - CBR, DxDP, room! - DD's 7th birthday
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #149
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
Guess they don't care if Suri Cruise feels superior to everyone else then. Not that she's in any danger of not feeling that way, thanks to her megalomaniacal father. SNORT!! That man makes me angry and scared all at the same time!!
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #150
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post

Our KTTK guide said they once tried to pump the smells out onto Main Street but it was more trouble than worth it and they no longer do that.
I'm smelling something going up MS, and I have a terrible sense of smell.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: