Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Are there certain times of the year when rack rate is all your going to get at WDW?

When I'm not working I'm planning my next WDW trip!

joedplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #47
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post
Are there certain times of the year when rack rate is all your going to get at WDW?
Yep. There are several times a year that nothing is offered, but it varies a bit from year to year.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #48
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelAgentJen View Post
It is annoying or patronizing I should say how every time someone mentions wanting free dining(or a discount/coupon/deal whatever) people like the ones in this thread say, "I only book trips that I can afford." They are booking trips that they can afford, that's why they're hoping for a deal to stay in budget. Just because someone wants to use a coupon if they can doesn't mean they're too poor to have it. No one said it's their God given right to get a discount from Disney but it is their God given right to hope/want/talk about getting a discount so a vacation CAN BE WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD or maybe just be comfortable with. Or in some cases like the college team for logistical reasons, thats make it or break to them. So yes having a response like, "we book vacations we can afford, is an annoying, patronizing response to what people were talking about here. And it's my God given right to have that opinion, thank you for not responding patronizingly to this toohttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/dance.gif
Boy, I got to come to peace w/the nature of these chat boards, on one hand there so fun and on the other hand people say things so unnecessary and unhelpful sometime.
yea... I don't really see your point. I don't book a vacation that I can't afford. If I book a vacation then a discount comes out afterwards then I am saving a little money that can be used elsewhere. I would not feel comfortable booking a vacation that I know I can't afford. I guess that is being responsible.
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #49
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
OP here. Wasn't meaning to start any bickering between anyone. I wasn't really looking to start on a debate on who can afford to go/not go without free dining. We have gone to disney yearly for the last 6 years and it has gotten so much more expensive, especially the last 3 years. Even though I LOVE disney, I am just at a point where I am thinking "is it really worth it?". I can't see spending around $4500 for a week at disney with dining (and that does not include airfare). Like I said, I LOVE disney but think that the prices are just getting too high for what you get.

PS I am not saying disney "owes" me anything or from a business standpoint should continue FD, I am just evaluating how much my family is willing to pay for a week in disney.
no worries.. there is only poster who trying to bicker
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

It would be awesome if FD is still going in 2014 when we book for 2015, but no big deal. We don't really eat the way the DDP works.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

The first trip that I booked I didn't even know that free dining was something that happened. I booked the trip on my own via Disney's site and we bought the DxDP in 2010. After I had booked it a couple months later a friend who is a Disney nut called me and said "Hey man, there's a promotion going on right now that I think you'll qualify for. Call up Disney and see if they will save you some money." Sure enough they discounted the DxDP for the price of the QSDP (since we were staying at Pop) and the savings was enough that we could then afford plane tickets instead of driving. Bonus!

Last year we booked the week of Thanksgiving knowing that there likely would not be a discount. We were also booked at AoA LM so we *really* figured there wouldn't be a discount. We would take one if it came up but we weren't switching resorts for it.

This year we priced out the trip with about all of the options. Different resorts, different DP, WP, PH, WP&PH, FD, etc. Ultimately we decided on WP & QSDP for this trip. We booked it and paid in full for the trip and if we get a discount then awesome, if not then we've already budgeted for this amount so we're good to go. If QSDP is offered free at the AoA suites then we might switch to that since it's about the same price as AoA LM without FD. We might move to a mod or Pop if FD came out but I doubt it. The wife and kids love AoA.

I understand why some only go for FD. Food, especially the TS meals, are expensive! When you get into a family of four or more it can really save you a lot. Plus I think the DP makes the trip more enjoyable.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #52
IhrkeFamily
Mouseketeer

I don't think my kids would forgive me if I cancelled our trip for August! J/K! They would in special circumstances, but they are super excited to go again. As AAA members we always have some sort of a discount (at least 10% off room rates) so that helps. I budget the top amount and figure if I can afford that and some years we can't. Like 2012

I would hate the disappointment of planning a trip and then having to cancel if a discount didn't come out. Better to budget high and be happy if something does comes out

1997 - Stayed with sister who was CM
1997 - Stayed with sister, 1st time with fiance (now husband!)
2000 - Coronado Springs
2002 - All Star Music
2004 - All Star Movies
2005 - All Star Movies
2008 - All Star Movies
2009 - All Star Movies
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
IhrkeFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #53
Huff
DIS Veteran

We haven't made plans for our summer or fall vacation so far. Would love to go to WDW but there is no way we can come close to affording it without substantial discounts such as free dining. If FD doesn't happen we have alternative non-Disney vacation plans the kids have said they'd love too.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #54
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

California girl here, only been to Disneyland...what exactly is Free Dining? I'm guessing they let you eat for free when you stay at certain resorts? Seriously? Nothing like that, ever, out here at Disneyland.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #55
DandSx2
Earning My Ears

We also won't be going most likely if FD isn't offered this year. We will choose to vacation somewhere else or not at all because we can't afford a regularly priced vacation at Disney World. BUT I definately don't feel Disney owes me any special deals or anything. I am truly grateful for the last 3 years we were able to take our kids. AND I am hoping and praying they decide to offer it again
Sept. 2011, Pop Century, 6 nights
Sept. 2012, All Star Movies, 7 nights
Jan. 2014 All Star Music, 6 nights
DandSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #56
Patience
DIS Veteran

We're going in September but if there's no free dining, we will book a condo at Bonnet Creek or Windsor Hills because it's less money for us and more room. We enjoy free dining because our 5 year old likes character meals and we can do a lot of them with free dining. Without free dining, the cost of those meals is not worth it to us so we will stay offsite in a roomy condo instead, do only one or two character meals and eat the rest of our meals offsite or counter service at Disney. We like the counter service meals in Epcot and of course there's counter service at Be Our Guest too so our DD can see the new castle. Couple those options with a character breakfast or two, and we will all be happy, save money over Disney rack rates and dining plan prices AND have room to spread out. We can even take a bus at Bonnet Creek if we don't want to drive. EMH and fast pass+ are not that enticing for us since our daughter doesn't want to do most headliner rides anyway and wont stay up for EMH evening hours. We will use regular fast pass if it still exists or, if not, no biggie.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #57
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
California girl here, only been to Disneyland...what exactly is Free Dining? I'm guessing they let you eat for free when you stay at certain resorts? Seriously? Nothing like that, ever, out here at Disneyland.

Yeah - Disneyland has yet to do any sort of dining program. I too am a California girl but I fell in love with WDW 16 years ago and save up to go there instead. FD is a plan where you exchange dining credits for either quick service, table service and snacks for food. It works great for some people but not for everyone.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #58
Courtney829
Earning My Ears

We'll still go on the trip I have booked for September without FD but I admit it will make me sad if it's not offered. I want to do MNSSHP and the Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise and there's not enough money in the vacation budget for those without FD.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #59
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

We are FD veterans-5 years in a row.... That being said,if no FD...WE AINT GOIN!! The price increases over the last few years are absolutely ridiculous,and without a decent discount...fuggedaboutit! By the way,we CAN afford it...just won't pay it! We really LOVE WDW,but they are starting to remind me of the oil and gas industry with their skyrocketing prices..the latter has me "over a barrel",but WDW doesn't!Iam a bargain hunting fool,and save quite a bit by doing so..don't pay"full price"for anything if I can help it,vacations or otherwise!
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #60
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I don't care about FD, but I absolutely would not go without a good room discount. I don't think there is one resort at Disney that is worth rack rate. It's not always about what you can afford. I am not going to pay more for something than I feel it's worth. I like WDW, but I like going other places too.
Bingo! Has much less to do with what we can afford than what its worth is. Too many great travel deals out there...WDW lost our dollars for the last 8 years bc the better value was in cruising! Kids sail free trumped WDW room and FD discounts...the draw of going places we had never seen held higher value...we have done WDW and Disneyland repeat times...if I can work out a better trip for the same money, I do! Just not worth rack rate no matter what...that's all.

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: