Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
shoney
DIS Veteran

For older kids...

Salem, Mass...for the witch trials

Newport RI for the mansions

jiminy peaks for adventure
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
belle22
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all your ideas!

I know we will do the Freedom Trail, Swan Boat rides iand sealions in Boston. Maybe Ben and Jerry's tour in VT. Visit the Pez Visitor Center in CT.
Maybe Acadia National Park and Mount Washington.

Any other ideas? Any World's Largest items to nearby to see?
belle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
mom2t
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle22 View Post
Thanks for all your ideas!

I know we will do the Freedom Trail, Swan Boat rides iand sealions in Boston. Maybe Ben and Jerry's tour in VT. Visit the Pez Visitor Center in CT.
Maybe Acadia National Park and Mount Washington.

Any other ideas? Any World's Largest items to nearby to see?
Definitely highlight of my tour of New England Mt. Washington and we went covered bridge hunting in VT. Loved Kennebuckport also and Cape Cod and our visit to Martha's Vineyard.
mom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Look into the ASTC program. We are members of a science aquarium in Burlington VT and the program allows free entry to many science museums 90 miles from your home... Which for us is things like the Museum of Science and Children's museum in Boston.

However, Mt Washington is a must! We live on the NH/VT border and go there often. Drive 112 between Woodstock and North Conway (it's called the Kancamagus highway) We love the White Mountains and they have many fun hiking trails, and things like the Flume that are low cost..... VT is a beautiful state, filled with hiking again... However we do enjoy going to Burlington VT- it's a cute artsy college town right on Lake Champlain (and if you are up that way go to the Ben & Jerry's factory in Stowe!)
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
leebee
DIS Veteran

Cheap is hard to come by! We took a great vacation to NH one summer, when DD was almost 10. We went to Canobie Lake Park in Salem, NH, then rented a cottage in Bartlett, which is just north of North Conway, and kept us out of the congestion of the outlet malls. We went to Santa's Village and StoryLand, went up Mt. Washington, Wildcat, and Loon Mountains, and hiked the Flume. It was a great week!

Just remember, even though New England is small, it takes time to drive around everywhere, and plan accordingly.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
winniedapooh
Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney Cherubs!
I am so proud of my princess!
A smart lady who knows better than to question the wisdom of the tag fairy

In MA I second Sturbridge Village and love Southwick's Zoo in Mendon much better than Roger Williams in RI.

winniedapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Before we lived here with my son, we always took him to the coast in NH. Take 1A all the way up from Hampton, NH all the way to Portsmouth, NH. We stopped at the beaches and lookout points. Seashell hunting, sea glass hunting and tons of tide pools to explore. There is a beautiful park in New Castle, NH (a small island community). There is also the seacoast science center that has lots of ocean front to explore and a small aquarium inside. Depending on the weather and tides you could take a surfing lesson at Hampton or Rye beaches(most of the surf shops offer them) great beginner sized waves, or you can watch the surfers at the wall in North Hampton. Plus you can explore downtown Portsmouth.
Also Gloucester, MA (stage fort park) has a ton of huge boulders to climb and explore and follow it up with a trip to Rockport, MA.
I think that any trip to New England should include a trip to the rocky coast lines! That was always my sons favorite.
The other thing he liked to do is go bowling. It is candlepin bowling (small balls) and he always thought that was cool.
Depending on the time of year (usually summertime) most towns gave festivals going on especially in July and August. They always have fun things for the kids to do and a lot of the info is on their web sites.
I am not sure where you live but I always appreciated the simple things to do in New England.

AB6876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
pocomom
Brr.....

The science Museum in Boston is EXPENSIVE but it is also reciprical, so if you belong to a musuem by you bring your card and you'll get in free- It actually paid for our membership to our local science museum. If you like Sturbridge Village it also has some sort of deal with the reanactment village by the Mayflower and that place has a package with the Mayflower ship, which right off Plymoth rock. Don't remember the specifics. Oh and a cool activity near Hartford Con. the Dinasaur State Park. We got to make a casting of a dino footprint, and you can see preserved tracks - very neat ! Only a couple of hours worth of activity though so it is more of a on your way attraction. Salem Mass is fun if your kids like spooky stuff. Mystci aquarium is nice and the shops in the village are quaint. The seaport also has a reanactment place but we didn't go.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
brettgirl
Mouseketeer

Vermont.....Shelburne Museum is right after The Vermont Teddy Bear Factory near Burlington, Vt. It is an awesome museum, young and old can find something they love there. If you do Ben and Jerry's (30 minutes from Burlington)-the cleanest factory I have ever seen-go to Stowe and do the mountain slide and then take Toll Road to to the top of Mount Mansfield and have a picnic lunch.

The other ideas presented have also been wonderful ideas!!!!
1997 Carribbean Resort
1976 Off property
1970 Off property

Support Autism
brettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

A PP mentioned Six Flags - Lots of fun but in no way shape or form would I call that cheap. Tix are expensive, parking is expensive, no outside food is allowed and food is pricey.

In MA there is lots to do that is cheap or free. I second the Freedom Trail and the Minuteman National Park in Lexington and Concord. If you do Minuteman NP there is also Walden Pond (not free but just a couple of bucks for parking) there are also a number of famous houses you can visit.

Plimouth Plantation is great. Last weekend we did an overnight there for cub scouts. Not cheap, but a lot of history and the kids had a blast there. The re-enactors at in the colonial village really really get into their roles and the wampanoag interpreters live in the current day but are really informative as well. Plimoth Plantation also owns the Mayflower II and the Jenney Mill. The only thing is before planning on doing the Mayflower II call to confirm it's there. When we were there last weekend it was in drydock for repairs. They have an exhibit on the pier but the boat itself it gone for a while.

We love the museums around here. Boston Museum of Science (aka MOS) is great as is Roger Williams zoo. Like the MOS, Roger Williams also takes reciprocal agreements. And if you are going to the MOS they have reciprocals with TONS of museums some of them in MA and RI. Even if you don't have a museum local to you that has a reciprocal with the Boston Science Museum and Roger Williams it actually pays to buy the membership at the MOS (because at last check it was only about $10 more than regular admission for my family of 5) and then use it to get into the other local museums with which the MOS has agreements (Roger Williams Zoo, Providence Children's Museum, Worcester Ecotarium, Woods Hole Oceanagraphic, plus 5 museums in CT, 5 in NH and 2 in ME).
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
netrista
Friend of Pooh

New England Must See Sites with Kids

New England is my neck of the woods, and we certainly have our fair share of fun things. For MA, I would recommend --

Sturbridge Village, Plimouth Plantation (Plymouth), Battleship Cove (Fall River), Edaville Railroad (Carver) -- These would appeal most to parents and kids with a real interest in history of various sorts.

Drumlin Farm (Lincoln), Joppa Flats (Ipswich) - These are Audobon preservation areas. The first one is a working farm. Both have lots of outdoor fun activities for kids. These are NOT boring.

Endicott Park/Farm (Danvers MA) - Tons of fun for about $5 a group. This is a working farm with animal petting/feeding opportunities, a huge outdoor play structure, hiking in the woods with self-guided exercise stations, picnic area.

Hammond Castle (Gloucester) - A real castle of sorts created by an eccentric who imported parts of real buildings from Europe. An enormous pipe organ is built into the walls, and it even has its own weather. Tons of cool activities here like Renaissance Faires.

Discovery Museum (Acton) - Two small museums (Science + Kids) on same lot. This is not a huge, state of the art museum by any means, but it is so much more relaxing, fun and cheap when compared to the Boston Children's museum. Age range would likely be 12 and under.

Salem is not just witches. There is certainly a Halloween aspect to it. However, there is pirate museum, a tall ship in harbor, art galleries, street vendors/performers, and the Willows; a strip along the ocean with arcades, greasy spoon restaurants, ferry rides and kiddie rides. There's also highly entertaining Ghost/Witch/History/Architecture-themed tours running continually. It's hard to go wrong with Salem.

As for New Hampshire... There's the weirdly fascinating "American's Stonehenge." There are tons of kitsch amusement parks like Storyland, Santa's Village, and Clark's Trading Post. Canobie Lake Park is a huge (for this area) amusement park. The Flume is a breath-takingly beautiful gorge that one hikes through.

Oh, and Maine... York Zoo is a zoo and amusement park that is very close to the MA border. It's quaint, but it is also fun, cheap and easy to manage when compared to huge, busy attractions like Roger Williams or Canobie Lake.

Hope this helps. ~ N

netrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
sfromma
Earning My Ears

I live in NY just 10 minutes from Saratoga Springs (Eastern upstate). As a Disney can you'll appreciate it and it's amazing in the summer. Between the horse racing, parks and really happening city, it's just awesome. About 20 miles north of Saratoga is Lake George. It sits at the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains and it's quite a tourist destination - beaches, amusement parks, hiking, biking etc.

CBR 2010; CBR 2011; BLT 2012; BCV October 2013
sfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
sfromma
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="sfromma"]I live in NY just 10 minutes from Saratoga Springs (Eastern upstate). As a Disney can you'll appreciate it and it's amazing in the summer. Between the horse racing, parks and really happening city, it's just awesome. About 20 miles north of Saratoga is Lake George. It sits at the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains and it's quite a tourist destination - beaches, amusement parks, hiking, biking. And while we arent technically in New England, we aren't far. QUOTE]

CBR 2010; CBR 2011; BLT 2012; BCV October 2013
sfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #29
gjl
Mouseketeer

I

Last edited by gjl; 01-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #30
Tree
Mouseketeer

CitypassBoston gives CityPASS gives you admission to 5 must-see Boston attractions including Museum of Science, Aquarium and the MFA.

Also Boston duck tours has a living social deal on going now-tickets are only $35
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: