Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
belle22
Mouseketeer

New England Must See Sites with Kids

Thinking about heading East this summer with DD10 and DD7. What are some must see sites (that are cheap) to see in MA, NY, CT, NH..ect.

Thanks!
belle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
DebMcDonald
DIS Veteran

I don't know that any of these fall for on the cheap, but they are definitely things to do:

CT - Mystic Aquarium (better than Boston's)

MA - Sturbridge Village
Cape Cod, ProvinceTown, Ferries to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard
Boston - Lots of museums, Children's science, art. Eating in the North End, Fanuiel Hall, Fenway Park. Whale sighting (there are always groupons for these)
There is also a museum at Patroits place and shopping at the Patriots Stadium.

If I think of anything else I'll repost.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
pookybean
Mouseketeer

In Boston, the frog pond and playground in the commons is free. the gardens has the swan boats...a 15 minute ride around the pond for $3 adults, $1.50 for kids.

not sure how old your kids are, but we always spend a few hours around this area after shopping at faneuil hall and downtown crossing.

Beaches all along the Cape, take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard or drive out to p-town.

Clarks trading post in NH and everything thats around there.

Rodger Williams Park Zoo in RI, or Newport RI.

Not sure about prices for everything but when i go to visit family in boston we do some of these things every few years (well downtown boston we do every year) and i never end up spending a ton.

have a great time! i miss the ne area so much!

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4

Last edited by pookybean; 03-26-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
crjack
DIS Veteran

Friday nights offer some great inexpensive options in downtown Boston - The Children's Museum is a $1 on Fridays from 5:00 - 9 pm and it's a great museum to visit.

Also, during the summer there are free movies shown outdoors on the Hatch Shell (same place as 4th of July Boston Pops concert) as part of the Friday Night Flicks series.

Both are in a good location to tie in other sights or just explore the city. There are so many historical sites to see and they don't require a car.

Enjoy your visit!
crjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
amcnj
DIS Veteran

In Boston you can walk along the Freedom Trail and see many sites. You can also kind of drive along that Lexington Concord route. I guess it depends on how into American History they are.

By NY is that NYC? There is a lot to see in the city, but of course few are cheap. The Staten Island Ferry is a neat ride and the price is right!
amcnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

In NH Portsmouth has Strawberry Banks and Prescott park arts festival both inexpensive. Also in NH are Canterbury Shaker Village is cool. and
Mount Washington Observatory Weather Discovery Center,
Flume Gorge,Lost River Gorge and Boulder Caves
Ruggles Mine,Weirs Drive-In Theater one of the few drive in's left.

then there is

Story Land,Water Country,The NH children's museums
McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center but IMO these kind of things can be found anywhere in the country.

Check out VISITNH website.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Vermont!

Do you have a travel plan?

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
ktrask
Mouseketeer

You can tour the state house in MA at no cost.
ktrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I live in Maine and I just wanted to say that if you can, check your library for a book called Fun things to do with Children New England. It is on Amazon too but your library might be able to get it for you for free. I actually own it because I got it in our library once and loved the ideas in it. There is over 100 suggestions and you can easily see what is free and what interests you. It has some great suggestions and often I will pick it off the shelf and look though to find a fun day trip at the last minute on a weekend. There is so much to do in New England.

Also, if you have a Children's or Science museum membership where you live check and see if you bought reciprocal membership. Most places offer it. We have a membership at the Portland Children's museum and Boston Science museum. With those purchases we have been able to go to the children's museums in Boston, Augusta, and Portland OR. Plus we have been to multiple Science museums on trips for free because of the reciprocal membership. It might be something to look into if you do have one and want to let the kids run around for a couple of hours one day. The Boston Science museum is really cool if you do have one. You can easily spend several hours there.

Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth is also really neat. My kids love it more then Sturbridge because it is smaller and less crowded. It is also really affordable. You can walk around Portsmouth for free and it is a super cute, fun town. Both places are amazing though. And if you make it up further North there is tons to do in Conway NH, and Portland ME. For example, you can catch a ferry ride to the islands and spend the day riding bikes and hiking or spend time walking in the Old Port and going to the museums. Lots of light houses offer tours too. Depending on the season, Conway has skiing, hiking, water parks, and mini golf. Not sure if that would interest your kids but my kids love stuff like that.

I agree with others on the historic can't miss stuff. Such as Plymouth Plantation, and the Mayflower (both not cheap though!). Freedom trail, and Fanuiel Hall. There is a free Firefighter museum in Boston too. But it isn't always open. Swan boats are fun too! Have a great trip!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
msmama
DIS Veteran

Somebody mentioned the Mystic Aquarium - just down the road is Mystic Seaport (last summer there was a pass that got you 2 days at both places). Also Mystic Pizza.

Don't know where you're coming from, but you could drive out on Long Island and take one of 2 ferries to New England (one to CT, one to RI).

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Active outdoorsy type of stuff? Museums? Camping? If you narrow it down a bit maybe we could help more.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
buzz2400
The TF waves to buzz2400's DS

In ct, there is gillette castle, essex train and riverboat. Also lake compounce, as previous pp stated mystic aquarium, seaport and village (with shops). in norwalk, there is another aquarium call maritime. All of these do cost money (some a little too pricey). There is an indian museum called mashantucket museum.

In MA, sturbridge village, six flags new england. At the cape you can see where the pilgrims landed at pilgrim rock and the ship is there as well.

I would just google the things to do in "the state" and you will get the official vistior site. ct's is www.ctvisit.com.

One thing to remember in boston is that parking costs a fortune. Love to visit there (aquarium, the market) but parking does take a chunk out of your wallet.
buzz2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
PrincesCJM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle22 View Post
Thinking about heading East this summer with DD10 and DD7. What are some must see sites (that are cheap) to see in MA, NY, CT, NH..ect.

Thanks!
Not to be too technical but NY is not apart of New England. We can be a little sensitive to that.

Maine is a beautiful state. Yes, I'm a little biased since I live here but it really is. Depending upon how far you want to travel in New England, Acadia National Park is beautiful!
Two trips as a child 5/04 - Offsite 8/07 - Offsite/ASSp. DH's first trip. 8/09 - POFQ for honeymoon. 4/11 - Pop Century for our 3rd trip together! 7/11 - Offsite for STS-135 Launch seen from KSCVC 7/13 - Pop Century. DS's first trip! 4/2015 - ASMo

PrincesCJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

We lived in CT for years - I remember we went to a Sunflower farm once - hundreds of sunflowers a very cool sight.

Also a Bison farm we rode in a open truck and got to feed them - again lots of fun.

I don't remember where either place was but I think in NW CT. I need to figure it out since I think they'll be fun to visit again

Mystic Aquarium as I recall is pretty $$. Roger Williams Zoo was something we loved going to as was the Children's Museum in Boston.
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Nevergrow'nup
Now I am decorated (a little) for the holiday!!!
Millions of pieces covered in tomato sauce

The sunflower farm is called buttonwoods. Really good ice cream too!! They are adding different activities there as well haven't stopped in a few years but will drive by to see the sunflowers!!
Nevergrow'nup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
D,L and K's Mom
D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful" ~ Annette Funicello~
You've been dazed and confused for too long!

Wow

Great Ideas!!!
D,L and K's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: