Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Tropicana vs Desert Inn vs BW Plus Anaheim Inn

Out trip is planned for late September and I've had the BW Pake Place Inn booked for months, but now there is a possibility we will have to move our trip to one week earlier...and the BWPPI is $40 more per night that week.

So I am now looking to book a different motel with very short walking distance for that earlier week in case we need to move our trip. We want something that is a very short walking distance (closer than the Ramada Maingate where we stayed last trip) because a couple people in our party have foot problems.

Based on our budget of around $100 per night, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Tropicana Inn - $119 per night (when you include WiFi fee). My understanding is it has a semi-free breakfast.

Desert Inn - $104 per night. Has free breakfast and WiFi.

Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn - $92 per night. Does not have free breakfast and not sure if they charge for WiFi.

Other than the price and the closeness, we're mainly looking for a room that is clean. Pool does not matter too much, we would probably only use it the day we check-in since we won't be going to DL that day. Parking doesn't matter either since we won't have a car. We usually prefer a place with a free breakfast mostly for convienence (don't want to spend time sitting in a restaurant in the morning).

Please give me all the pros and cons of any of these 3 motels. Thanks in advance.
dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
jen541
Earning My Ears

I've stayed at the desert inn and it was fine. Pretty basic and clean enough. I've stayed at worse in that area and I've stayed at better, including DL Hotel. For $109, because if the close proximity, it's a good choice. I'm going on a serious budgeted trip in August and am staying there again.

Sorry, I haven't stayed at the other places your asking about so not much help there. Have a good trip!

Always planning my next trip to Disneyland
jen541 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
OregonMinnie
Mouseketeer

We are staying at the Desert Inn this fall for the second time, this fall. We have stayed at BWPPI, and Trop. was also on our list, but the extra WiFi, and looking at the rankings on TripnAdvisor, helped us decide to do Desert Inn again. It is clean and really close, with enough of a breakfast for us. We didn't care for Captain Kids when we stayed at BWPPI, but I'm not sure if they are still offering that for breakfast. HTH!

Traci (43) DH(43) DD (11)

5/04 Staybridge Suites 4 days
10/06 Homewood Suites5 days
10/09 BWPPI 7 days
10/11 Desert Inn & Suites 7 days
10/13 Desert Inn OR Tropicana 7 days
OregonMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMinnie View Post
We are staying at the Desert Inn this fall for the second time, this fall. We have stayed at BWPPI, and Trop. was also on our list, but the extra WiFi, and looking at the rankings on TripnAdvisor, helped us decide to do Desert Inn again. It is clean and really close, with enough of a breakfast for us. We didn't care for Captain Kids when we stayed at BWPPI, but I'm not sure if they are still offering that for breakfast. HTH!
What is Captain Kids?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Lemon Pie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

What is Captain Kids?
The restaurant at BWPPI
Lemon Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Pie View Post
The restaurant at BWPPI
Do you have to order your breakfast from the restaurant, or is the free continental breakfast the kind where you can go pick up what you want (pastries, fruit, toast, etc) and take back to your room?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

Captain Kidds is beyond disgusting
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

The anaheim inn is where I'm staying in July. There is no breakfast because they are in renivations but they offer a free to go bag with an apple, muffin, granola bar and bottle of water. Definitely better than nothing. The reviews are that it's basic and clean.
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
profa
Mouseketeer

We stayed w/ family of 5 at DIS twice this past yr. After much research here and trip advisor, I was very happy with my choice. Mainly location location. The starter breakfast was just that and the price was great. Beds were comfortable too.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
OregonMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post
Do you have to order your breakfast from the restaurant, or is the free continental breakfast the kind where you can go pick up what you want (pastries, fruit, toast, etc) and take back to your room?
It is right next door, and when you enter the door, the breakfast for the hotel is straight upstairs. They had biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, cereal, pastries, juice, etc. But...it is not worth risking the food poisoning in my opinion. As a PP said, it is disgusting. The rest. downstairs is not any better. They offer a buffet with everything from tacos to pizza to who knows what. I will say, we haven't been there for probably five years, so things may have changed.

Traci (43) DH(43) DD (11)

5/04 Staybridge Suites 4 days
10/06 Homewood Suites5 days
10/09 BWPPI 7 days
10/11 Desert Inn & Suites 7 days
10/13 Desert Inn OR Tropicana 7 days
OregonMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Kiwigirls
Mouseketeer

I had read that the breakfast for BWPPI was not actually done by Capt Kids. BWPPI just rent the upstairs space as their breakfast room??
Old 05-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
goooof1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwigirls View Post
I had read that the breakfast for BWPPI was not actually done by Capt Kids. BWPPI just rent the upstairs space as their breakfast room??
This is what I have heard too. We did stay there a couple years ago and it seemed so......no problems, basic continental breakfast fruit, toast, muffins, etc, cereal, and hard boiled eggs. Now I guess they have added a few things. (just DON'T eat at the downstairs-capt.kidds.)
goooof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMinnie View Post
It is right next door, and when you enter the door, the breakfast for the hotel is straight upstairs. They had biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, cereal, pastries, juice, etc. But...it is not worth risking the food poisoning in my opinion. As a PP said, it is disgusting. The rest. downstairs is not any better. They offer a buffet with everything from tacos to pizza to who knows what. I will say, we haven't been there for probably five years, so things may have changed.
We don't plan on eating in the restaurant. Not going to waste our time waiting our food to be ordered and delivered. So, I hope there is no chance of food poising from cereal, pastries and juice.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Another vote for DIS. It is our go to place. Great location and affordable, large suite for my family size. We order muffins from Mimi's using their online service. I usually send someone to grab my coffee at the nearby McDonalds. The hotel breakfast is used as filler.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Barry Browning
Mouseketeer

Well how about a different take.Break the budget--rent the Executive Suite at the Trop.We got it for $179 by calling and making nice with the desk clerk.I love this suite.Its light years ahead of the regular rooms.It has two baths, one with large jacuzzi to soak your feet in.It has two huge plasma tvs.It has two balconies where you can watch the people sloggin it to the Hojo..You can see the monorails, the fireworks.Love to sit and have coffee and check it all out.

It is the closest or one of the closest to the park especially on the front of the hotel.It has a pull out, a king sized bed, fridge, micro wave.It has an elevator feet away.The breakfast room is like 20 feet away and the little store in underneath on the ground floor.I know this might blow the budget a bit but honestly we eat cheap.We order Pizza Hut alot and soak in hot tub until it comes.McDonalds is feet away

I am going to plug for it because too many times people say well I am hardly in the room, etc but man this is is soo nice and it makes for some real memories instead of just another room.

So anyway at least check out the pics on the Trop site, the suites are on the front two stories over the small store on the ground across from the office.

My wife is disabled we usually get parking right by elevator.I understand there are many choices in rooms but if you ever try one you will never go back to the regular rooms.It might be another $300-$400 but again it is money well spent in my humble opinion.

Close counts when you are in your fifties and wife is disabled.It really
is worth it to us to pay for the suite.

We packed in like five of us--three teens in the living area and two old people in the other room.Everybody seemed happy.
Barry Browning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: