Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #586
Marsone1
Earning My Ears

New Here

Aloha,
I'm new here and found this forum. Our family will be going to Disney World on 2/14-3/1/14 for my son's MAW trip and 7th Birthday. Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions. We are extending our trip for another week as we are from Hawaii and it is such a long travel to get to Florida. We will be staying at GKTW 2/14-2/21/14. The second part of our trip we will be staying at one of the all star resorts. The part I wanted to know is the GKTW button that they give you. Do they have an expiration date on them? I wanted to know if we decided to save our 3 days passes to WDW to use during our extended stay will the button still be valid? The reason for this is that I just realized that during the week that we are staying at GKTW, because it is the week of Presidents Day, the parks will be super busy. And if we use the passes the second half of our trip we will be able to take advantage of the extra magic hours because we are staying at a disney property (thanks to my cousin for setting that up). Please advise? Also are we allowed to visit GKTW during our extended part of the trip?

Will post a pretrip report when I get the chance.

Thank You..
Maria

Last edited by Marsone1; 12-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Marsone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #587
aba
Earning My Ears

CHaracter Meals

Hello! I'm new here, a little overwhelmed to say the least!
My daughter, who is 3, wished for a trip to Disney to meet Mickey and Minnie! We'll be going the first week of Feb 2014, so about 6 weeks away! I have another daughter, who is 6 and dying to meet the princesses and she so deserves it. Her sister has been through a lot, and she's been there with her through it.... there should be a wish organization for siblings

ANYway -- my question is related to character breakfasts, especially princesses. I've heard amazing things and I'm wondering if I need to ask for that to be scheduled or if we do that ourselves since we stay at give kids the world? Wasn't sure, wanted to ask ...

Thanks!!
aba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #588
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunleigh View Post
My daughter will be heading to Disney for the first time in January for her wish trip. Sadly during Januray GKTW is closed This is the only month we can go, I am in school for respiratory therapy and on break then. We do not want to prolong my daughters trip due to her medical fragile state. Any cold can take her from us at this point so we feel time is of the essence. I am bummed that we will not be at GKTW and stressed more now about meals and the possiblity of bad weather. Can anyone suggest indoor activities to do on Disney properties if the weather would get bad, as in too cold for my DD? Anyone experience January weather, what should I be really expecting? Thanks in advance, we are pretty well versed in Disney just not in colder weather or when taking our sweet disabled lady along for the trip

Leigh
My most important question is - where are you staying? In cold weather, I find it is much easier to stay in a resort with interior corridors and inside public spaces (beyond just a food court) with activities.

Of course you can visit those resorts even if you're not staying there. The ones where I am most familiar with the activities are Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness lodge. Both have schedules of activities for kids.

It *can* be very cold, and as an ecv user, I always take insurance in the form of polar fleece hat, scarf, gloves and throw for my legs. If one is not walking, it feels even colder, when it's cold.

People say oh you're from upstate new york, why are you cold? Well but when it's 50 or below in upstate New York, I'm mostly not out doors trying to have fun in it!

If it's cold, I don't do outside rides with wind chill factor like test track or big thunder mountain. Indoor shows and rides are much preferred - in MK, Carousel of progress, buzz light year, laugh floor, philharmagic, country bears, pirates of the Carribean & Tiki birds are among those inside.

Good luck! Have fun
Old 12-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #589
kritter47
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsone1 View Post
Aloha,
I'm new here and found this forum. Our family will be going to Disney World on 2/14-3/1/14 for my son's MAW trip and 7th Birthday. Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions. We are extending our trip for another week as we are from Hawaii and it is such a long travel to get to Florida. We will be staying at GKTW 2/14-2/21/14. The second part of our trip we will be staying at one of the all star resorts. The part I wanted to know is the GKTW button that they give you. Do they have an expiration date on them? I wanted to know if we decided to save our 3 days passes to WDW to use during our extended stay will the button still be valid? The reason for this is that I just realized that during the week that we are staying at GKTW, because it is the week of Presidents Day, the parks will be super busy. And if we use the passes the second half of our trip we will be able to take advantage of the extra magic hours because we are staying at a disney property (thanks to my cousin for setting that up). Please advise? Also are we allowed to visit GKTW during our extended part of the trip?

Will post a pretrip report when I get the chance.

Thank You..
Maria
From my experience with wish families who went to GKTW, the buttons are marked with the seven-day window the child is staying at the facility. I do not know how things are being handled now with the new card/lanyard they are giving out to wish-granting organizations, but I would suspect these are name-and-date-marked as well (it's an extra step that discourages abuse and/or theft).
kritter47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #590
dawnp15
Earning My Ears

We got our dates yay!!!!

March 3rd through the 9th!!! We are so excited and are going to tell the kids on Christmas that we are going. We have never been to Disney and will probably never make it back, so this trip is going to be very special! Our wish organization has been wonderful to work with, they even booked my mom's plane ticket and we are jut paying them back. She couldn't be included in the wish, but we need her help with 4 little ones and our daughters special needs. This so is exciting!!
dawnp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #591
Marsone1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter47
From my experience with wish families who went to GKTW, the buttons are marked with the seven-day window the child is staying at the facility. I do not know how things are being handled now with the new card/lanyard they are giving out to wish-granting organizations, but I would suspect these are name-and-date-marked as well (it's an extra step that discourages abuse and/or theft).
Thanks for the information.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #592
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

To ALL of the Wishtrippers Past, Present and Future,

From our family to yours!

blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #593
sunleigh
Earning My Ears

lindababe thanks for the reply. we actually have been schedule for the AKL. so tell me what you know

I am excited and super nervous!!! They have put us in 2 rooms at the lodge, my MAW little princess has really bad nights and I am so afraid I am going to be in a room with her without the help of my husband due to not having connecting rooms, we are a party of 7. Should I be freaking about this...does anyone know dis protocol for large families on a MAW...I am wishing we were at GKTW, it would take some of my anxieties away.

we leave one week from tomorrow!!! with shorts, swimsuits, sunscreen...sweatshirts, fleeces, really cool disney character handmade hats and glove packed in our bags, ready for anything the weather has to offer!!! Anything has got to be better then being in the Northeast right now...right?
My DD's Make a Wish trip, her first time to Disney 1/14 Thanks MAW!
We have become a DISNEY FAMILY

sunleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #594
jkread
Earning My Ears

New here!

Hello!

We're heading to GKTW on March 15-22. We live in BC Canada so it will be quite the trek for us!

I have no idea where to start! any and all input wanted!!! how much spending money? where to start planning? ahhh!! help!!!!
jkread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 AM   #595
Marsone1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunleigh
lindababe thanks for the reply. we actually have been schedule for the AKL. so tell me what you know

I am excited and super nervous!!! They have put us in 2 rooms at the lodge, my MAW little princess has really bad nights and I am so afraid I am going to be in a room with her without the help of my husband due to not having connecting rooms, we are a party of 7. Should I be freaking about this...does anyone know dis protocol for large families on a MAW...I am wishing we were at GKTW, it would take some of my anxieties away.

we leave one week from tomorrow!!! with shorts, swimsuits, sunscreen...sweatshirts, fleeces, really cool disney character handmade hats and glove packed in our bags, ready for anything the weather has to offer!!! Anything has got to be better then being in the Northeast right now...right?
Please keep us posted on your trip. I would love to read all about it as we will be going there mid feb.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #596
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

I posted in here back in Sept (which was actually the last time I was on the Dis ) and at the time I thought Diego wanted to go on a cruise. Right before Christmas I got the call that he was approved. I told him and when asked what he wanted/where he wanted to go he said Disney...yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

We meet with the wish grantors on Sat. He has missed most of this school year so I dont want to pull him out of school this year and I will not do Disney in the summer EVER again (did it this past June and it was way to hot for me). so I am thinking next Nov/Dec.

I am hoping they let us extend our trip but I guess I will have to find that out on Sat. Cant wait!!!!! I think I am more excited then Diego.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #597
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom View Post
I posted in here back in Sept (which was actually the last time I was on the Dis ) and at the time I thought Diego wanted to go on a cruise. Right before Christmas I got the call that he was approved. I told him and when asked what he wanted/where he wanted to go he said Disney...yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

We meet with the wish grantors on Sat. He has missed most of this school year so I dont want to pull him out of school this year and I will not do Disney in the summer EVER again (did it this past June and it was way to hot for me). so I am thinking next Nov/Dec.

I am hoping they let us extend our trip but I guess I will have to find that out on Sat. Cant wait!!!!! I think I am more excited then Diego.

I am so relieved to see you post, so many have asked about you and Diego! Praying the wish granters are FUN and the experience is enjoyable!!!

To all of the Wishtrippers I want to say...

May 2014 bring us all happiness and health!

blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #598
brookerene
DIS Veteran

Wow, has it been that long?

I just wanted to stop and say hi... It has been a little less than three years since our wish trip and things are going well.... It looks like a lot of great wish trips are coming up and I hope you all have a lot of fun at WDW and at GKTW....
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #599
Marsone1
Earning My Ears

I was just wondering if anyone use the dine for less card and the kids eat free card? Are they any good?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #600
Marsone1
Earning My Ears

Sorry duplicate post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: