Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #541
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Never thought it would be us.

I have read through this threat in the past and read many Wish trips PTR and trip reports and always enjoying reading how awesome the trip was. I had always thought how awesome to have a wish trip and stay at GKTW but of course never wanted a reason and be able to have a wish trip.

But our whole world changed in July when my son was diagnosed with Kidney cancer (wilms tumor). He has had surgery to have his kidney removed and has been under going chemo. The poor kid has been thru so much in just the short time.

Diego was referred for a Wish and I received an email last week. I had to call for the screening "interview" but the person that needs to do it was out of the office so I am waiting on a return phone call.

We just went to Disney in June (right before we found out) so its not first on Diego's list. He wants to swim with dolphins. So I was thinking Discovery Cove but he also has been seeing commercials for cruises so I think that is what he wants to do. I know he would love a Disney cruise but I think he might be leaning toward Royal Caribbean because it would be a week and they have the rock climbing wall and the surf thing but I think they port for 1 day in Port Canaveral so we might just get our Disney day after all. Of course he is 6 years old so by the time he see the wish granter he could ask for something totally different.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #542
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom View Post
I have read through this threat in the past and read many Wish trips PTR and trip reports and always enjoying reading how awesome the trip was. I had always thought how awesome to have a wish trip and stay at GKTW but of course never wanted a reason and be able to have a wish trip.

But our whole world changed in July when my son was diagnosed with Kidney cancer (wilms tumor). He has had surgery to have his kidney removed and has been under going chemo. The poor kid has been thru so much in just the short time.

Diego was referred for a Wish and I received an email last week. I had to call for the screening "interview" but the person that needs to do it was out of the office so I am waiting on a return phone call.

We just went to Disney in June (right before we found out) so its not first on Diego's list. He wants to swim with dolphins. So I was thinking Discovery Cove but he also has been seeing commercials for cruises so I think that is what he wants to do. I know he would love a Disney cruise but I think he might be leaning toward Royal Caribbean because it would be a week and they have the rock climbing wall and the surf thing but I think they port for 1 day in Port Canaveral so we might just get our Disney day after all. Of course he is 6 years old so by the time he see the wish granter he could ask for something totally different.
Sorry about your sons struggles ! Getting a wish sure is a "mixed" blessing. On one hand it's wonderful to have this opportunity but the reasons for it are not so great. I'm happy your son will get to make a wish .. no mater what it turns out to be !
My son had been to Disney many times and so Disney wasn't his first choice .. he chose Harry Potter World .. which was great because we got to do Disney as well as Universal, plus stayed at GKTW.
I'm sure whatever Diego decides will be made special by the wonderful wish people !
Please let us know how it all goes !

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #543
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:

to the Wish Trippers thread!

My DD was diagnosed with a Wilms Tumor (4/07) which was discovered at her 1yr well checkup. She had a nephrectomy and chemo too. We just went last week to her 6yr cancer free visit. I know it is hard but I'm sure you've seen how strong and resilient kids are.

Even if your DS doesn't choose Disney, this thread is a great resource for any Wish family trying to figure out what to expect with the Wish process.

I wish you and your family the strength to get though this 'little' bump in the road.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #544
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I am sure it will be a long process before he gets his wish but thats ok...We love disney and had also wanted to do "harry potter" at some point too...right now he has swimming the the dolphins on his brain...not sure where that even came from...and all the cruise commercials have made him want to do a cruise. Anything is fine by me. I will be so happy to take a break from all this hospital stuff and hopefully by the time he gets his wish we can say he is "cancer free"...

He is such a strong boy but I hate what this is doing to him...not just all the pokes and sickness but it has caused him to have such anxiety about everything. Even when he is feeling well he doesnt want to go anywhere. He also doesnt want me to leave him ever (not even for a quick trip to the grocery store). He is 6 so I know he will remember a lot of this but hoping he also forgets a lot too.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #545
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome...

I am sure it will be a long process before he gets his wish but thats ok...We love disney and had also wanted to do "harry potter" at some point too...right now he has swimming the the dolphins on his brain...not sure where that even came from...and all the cruise commercials have made him want to do a cruise. Anything is fine by me. I will be so happy to take a break from all this hospital stuff and hopefully by the time he gets his wish we can say he is "cancer free"...

He is such a strong boy but I hate what this is doing to him...not just all the pokes and sickness but it has caused him to have such anxiety about everything. Even when he is feeling well he doesnt want to go anywhere. He also doesnt want me to leave him ever (not even for a quick trip to the grocery store). He is 6 so I know he will remember a lot of this but hoping he also forgets a lot too.
Welcome to the wish trip thread!!! It's nice to meet you!!!

Hugs to your little guy!!!

Prayers for healing, strength, and peace of mind for you all!!

Happy Wish Trip Planning!!!

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #546
uwquigman
Earning My Ears

Our MAW trip Nov 9th - 15th (So EXCITED)!

I already set-up a MAW pre-trip site but wanted to speak up since I've been trolling this site for a couple of days.

First off, thank you so much for putting all of this together. It is super helpful for our family to be able to learn so of the key tips and tricks for Disneyworld. We're flying out there all the way from California so its a long trek for a 4 year old and 2 year old (not to mention Mom and Dad).

Secondly, I'll just try to read and learn more. We are planning on taking my daughter to the BBB in the morning and then lunch at Cinderella's castle. Other than that we don't have anything planned.

Only question is that a couple of friends of our recommended we eat at Tony's at 8pm so we could get a front row seat to the Electrical Parade. Do we need to do this since she will have her badge? Or is it just as easy to check it out.

Thanks for your help and I'm sure we'll have a ton more questions.

The Quigley's

PS I can't access photobucket from this computer so I will have to try it from another one later on tonight.
uwquigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #547
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwquigman View Post
I already set-up a MAW pre-trip site but wanted to speak up since I've been trolling this site for a couple of days.

First off, thank you so much for putting all of this together. It is super helpful for our family to be able to learn so of the key tips and tricks for Disneyworld. We're flying out there all the way from California so its a long trek for a 4 year old and 2 year old (not to mention Mom and Dad).

Secondly, I'll just try to read and learn more. We are planning on taking my daughter to the BBB in the morning and then lunch at Cinderella's castle. Other than that we don't have anything planned.

Only question is that a couple of friends of our recommended we eat at Tony's at 8pm so we could get a front row seat to the Electrical Parade. Do we need to do this since she will have her badge? Or is it just as easy to check it out.

Thanks for your help and I'm sure we'll have a ton more questions.

The Quigley's

PS I can't access photobucket from this computer so I will have to try it from another one later on tonight.
You don't really have to do that. There are corded off areas you can access with the MAW card. We actually sat right across from the Firehouse (the parade starts right around the corner from there) and we had THE best seats you could ever imagine ! Before the parade starts .. go and find one of those areas and show your card to the CM .. they are very willing to help you out !

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #548
uwquigman
Earning My Ears

Elimination of Guest Assistance Cards and how it affects MAW kids?

I've heard that Disney has eliminated their Guest Assistance Cards. Has anyone on this forum done a trip since they've gotten rid of them and if that also applies to MAW kids?

Just curious as we are trying to plan out our trip and that would require us to make some reservations for dinner and things like that so we can watch the parade's that the kiddos want to see.

Thank you again,
TJ
Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #549
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwquigman View Post
I've heard that Disney has eliminated their Guest Assistance Cards. Has anyone on this forum done a trip since they've gotten rid of them and if that also applies to MAW kids?

Just curious as we are trying to plan out our trip and that would require us to make some reservations for dinner and things like that so we can watch the parade's that the kiddos want to see.

Thank you again,
TJ
Actually, the change-over from GAC to DAS hasn't quite occurred yet -- scheduled to be effective on October 9th.

That said, it is my understanding MAW kids will continue as usual, no change for you. The sponsoring organization will provide you with whatever is needed to make your trip magical.

If you are interested...here is the thread about the changes: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178976. The first few posts give the details, the rest is questions and answers. But again, this should not impact MAW trips!

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #550
uwquigman
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your help....this board is great and I really appreciate all the feedback and support!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #551
terratalking
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Oh I so know what you mean - it's the trip you never WANT to have to take, but are so grateful that you get all the extra magical help to take it , to help make their suffering that much "easier" to handle.

hope all goes well with the process for you all - we are just early on in our MAW journey also!

terra

To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #552
terratalking
Earning My Ears

YIPPEEE SKIPPEEEEE!!!!!

Just heard from our Wish Granters! Tentatively have our first meeting set up for October 13th!

So glad i got that news RIGHT before finding out that my car that's been in the shop for two weeks is going to cost a ridiculous amount of money that we don't really have to fix - and that my husband was rear-ended on the way to the dealership to try to work out payment for my car. He has only been home this past Sunday from work in the past two weeks so hoping that we are able to have some good quality stress-free time in the next two days before he leaves again.

it's always something, isn't it??

Anyways - let the good news triumph over the bad - Wish Granter meeting has been set!!!!

terra

To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #553
JasmineOtt
Earning My Ears

Terra, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! But I'm sure things will work out! So happy to hear you have a date!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #554
gertiesquidge
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me posting here as I'm not a wish tripper?

My husband is a professional photographer and has just found out he has been selected to accompany a group of seriously ill children and their families on a trip to Florida from here in the UK. He really wants to do his best to document this trip for the families and to give them photos to treasure.

If any of you have the time could you let us know what sort of photos might mean the most to families? Or any other tips you have so that he can make this as special as possible and give these families some much needed ixiedust:

Thank you for any help you can give and I hope you all have wonderful wish trips
gertiesquidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #555
erinalicia
Earning My Ears

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on planning out our trip. My husband and I just sat down to look over all the different rides, attractions, restaurants, etc. We're beyond overwhelmed. I know it's not possible to see everything in the time we have, so we want to focus on what we think the kids will enjoy the most. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of person and the thought of creating an itinerary/plan of action is driving me nuts, but I know we don't it will be mass chaos with full blown temper tantrums and melt-downs from all 3 kids and an overwhelmed momma.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first family trip to a theme park and the last time I was at Disney World was 20 years ago.

Thanks!

erinalicia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: