Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #526
ksso32006
Earning My Ears

These are awesome tips.. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

Kathy
ksso32006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #527
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by terratalking View Post
Madeline - those are GREAT tips! I am trying my best to just read and absorb everything around here too without feeling like i'm asking the same question a billion people have just asked!
LOVING all this info on this thread - and all of these boards!

terra

Oh good I'm glad the tips were help!!!

Feel free to ask any questions!!! You know what they say... No Disney questions are stupid questions!!!

It's fun to help people plan their trips!!!

Happy planning,

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #528
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybirthday View Post
What kind of food options will be available to us at GKTW? Like what is served for breakfast lunch dinner, or is it a set menu all the time? Also do we pay for any of the food at GKTW?
All of the food at Give Kids the World is free!!! So you don't have to worry about paying for the food you eat at Give Kids the World!!

We really enjoyed the food. Katie's Kitchen (Boston Market food like sandwiches, chicken and mac and cheese) was a favorite with my husband and son!! Me and my daughter loved the Gingerbread House Restaurant (buffet style restaurant)!! There were lots of choice of things you see at a typical buffet. Some of the choices rotated and some of the offering were there each night. My son loved order Pizza or Katie's Kitchen right to the villa!! And of course there is ice cream parlor!! We were very happy with the food!!

I hope that helps!!

Happy Planning,

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #529
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer

Question

I was wondering if anyone on here had a really good packing list? I am starting to feel really unprepared, and I think a good packing list would calm some of my nerves...

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #530
Monie3
Mouseketeer

Look what came in the mail today!

It is real! Christopher's Dream Party is next Friday! I some times it is too good to believe!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #531
terratalking
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwavess View Post
All of the food at Give Kids the World is free!!! So you don't have to worry about paying for the food you eat at Give Kids the World!!

We really enjoyed the food. Katie's Kitchen (Boston Market food like sandwiches, chicken and mac and cheese) was a favorite with my husband and son!! Me and my daughter loved the Gingerbread House Restaurant (buffet style restaurant)!! There were lots of choice of things you see at a typical buffet. Some of the choices rotated and some of the offering were there each night. My son loved order Pizza or Katie's Kitchen right to the villa!! And of course there is ice cream parlor!! We were very happy with the food!!

I hope that helps!!

Happy Planning,

Madeline
Reading about the Katie's Kitchen menu legitimately just made me crave Boston Market REALLY BAD!!!!! Thanks! I think I know what's for dinner tonight, kids!!!

terra

To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #532
terratalking
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie3 View Post

It is real! Christopher's Dream Party is next Friday! I some times it is too good to believe!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

HOW AWESOME AND EXCITING!!!!!! YAY YAY YAY for you guys!!!!

terra

Hope for Kendall

Old 09-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #533
terratalking
Earning My Ears

Question about MAW process

For those who have recently gone through the MAW process, I'm trying to gain some insight on timing.

our doctor is the one who made the referral, to the WI chapter because that's the hospital we go to. However, we live in IL. So it took a couple weeks for WI to call me after the referral, then a couple more weeks for IL chapter to get our info, then a week to "grant approval".
After I spoke with someone that we had official approval for a wish, she said (I THINK this is what she said - i could have not remembered it right because i was in such an emotional state to hear that kendall had been granted a wish!)
I think she said "a week or so" until we hear from our wish granters.
It's been "a week or so" - and i'm not one to be like "ok 10 days! let's get going!!!!"
But I am just looking for more insight on roughly how long was that process in the beginning for you to get things set up and moving along. I know each chapter is different and I have a feeling the chicago area chapter is probably uber busy, which is not a problem, i just am ANXIOUS!!!! At this point there's no way we can do 180 days out because it will be way too hot for kendall by then, so i'm starting to freak a bit about things like character meals or BBB (neither of which i've ever done so i have no idea what the reservation process is even like - i've just seen a few posts here and there about it!)

Any and all info appreciated! Thank you!

terra

Hope for Kendall

Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #534
ksso32006
Earning My Ears

Hi Terra! We're an Illinois family too.. Chicago chapter. They seem to be very, very nice, but don't communicate much/at all. We leave in 15 days & the only thing I know is the flight number we're on (because we had to book my mom's flight & wanted to make sure we're all together). Other than that we've heard nothing from them; no flight confirmations, no details, no nothing... I don't know if that's normal or not, and like you I really don't want to be pushy.

Kathy
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #535
ksso32006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie3 View Post

Monie!!! HOW EXCITING!!! I am so happy for you guys.. Its almost TIME!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #536
kritter47
Mouseketeer

terra - As a MaW volunteer, I can tell you that the only thing consistent about timeframes is that they are hard to predict.

If your chapter is like mine, your child is now on a list available to the wish granting volunteers with a few details (like your zip code) to help them figure out if she is a child they can take on. A week might be an average in your area, but it's far from a hard figure.

The amount of time a child will stay on that list varies immensely based on any number of unpredictable factors - the number of wish granters who live near you, the number of wish kids in your area who are on the list, the number of wish kids in your area already in progress, the various rest-of-life scenarios of the area wish granters, and the like. In my area, kids stay on the list anywhere from a day to six weeks before two wish granters sign up. In my previous chapter, kids could be on for up to 3 months if they were living in a far outlying area with few or no wish granters. It really depends.

By far the vast majority of Disney trips I've worked on were booked much closer than 180 days out (depending on the kid and the situation, it's usually 3 months or less). And generally, if a wish family wants to go at some point in the far future (requesting to go in early December when I meet them in March, for instance), the actual booking is not done until closer to the wish date. My understand of these reasons is the availability/scheduling capability of GKTW, the local chapter relationship with airlines, and other things that are not done as far in the future as people on these boards like to do them.

KSSO - amount of communication will depend on both the chapter and your individual volunteers. Some are in quite regular contact with the family, others less so. In my previous chapter, we tended to deliver the itinerary/official plane confirmation/expenses about two weeks before the wish. In my current chapter, it's about a week. Flight information can be passed on earlier for a variety of reasons.

However, if you are nervous or have questions, always feel free to call your volunteers! It's not pushy at all!
kritter47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #537
ksso32006
Earning My Ears

Thanks Kritter! I just really don't want to seem to pushy or forward... I totally appreciate everything that they are doing for us and how busy they are. I don't want to be a pain!

Kathy
Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #538
terratalking
Earning My Ears

thank you SO much Kritter! I know there is SO much to the behind the scenes - i'm trying my very best to be patient - but I am SO relieved to hear your stories of how things have gone.

I use a lot of emphasis on the word so a lot apparently....

Hope for Kendall

Old 09-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #539
vincev33
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terratalking View Post
For those who have recently gone through the MAW process, I'm trying to gain some insight on timing.

our doctor is the one who made the referral, to the WI chapter because that's the hospital we go to. However, we live in IL. So it took a couple weeks for WI to call me after the referral, then a couple more weeks for IL chapter to get our info, then a week to "grant approval".
After I spoke with someone that we had official approval for a wish, she said (I THINK this is what she said - i could have not remembered it right because i was in such an emotional state to hear that kendall had been granted a wish!)
I think she said "a week or so" until we hear from our wish granters.
It's been "a week or so" - and i'm not one to be like "ok 10 days! let's get going!!!!"
But I am just looking for more insight on roughly how long was that process in the beginning for you to get things set up and moving along. I know each chapter is different and I have a feeling the chicago area chapter is probably uber busy, which is not a problem, i just am ANXIOUS!!!! At this point there's no way we can do 180 days out because it will be way too hot for kendall by then, so i'm starting to freak a bit about things like character meals or BBB (neither of which i've ever done so i have no idea what the reservation process is even like - i've just seen a few posts here and there about it!)

Any and all info appreciated! Thank you!

terra
Hi Terra. I am a wish granter in a different state and have done many Disney wishes. I can only speak for our chapter, but it sounds like by "grant approval" you mean that Kendall was approved for eligibility. Our chapter sends out a note once volunteer wish granters are assigned to the wish and then we have about 48 hours to contact the family for a wish interview. It doesn't sound like that has happened yet. You still have to have the wish approved if I am reading the note correctly so there is still some time in the process. If you are worried about when you can go then you should call your chapter. They will work with you and GKTW on dates and will probably ask you for a few options. Don't stress out about it... As being someone who frequents Disney as well... Don't worry too much about the reservations at Disney. You will get them unless you can only go during peak times. You should call or email if you have any questions about the process. They may be busy, but if it relates to your experience with the organization then they should welcome the call. Once you have wish granters it will be easy to reach someone. It is my experience that some wish granters are not as experienced with Disney wishes as others. So feel free to reach out here as well!
vincev33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #540
Monie3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksso32006 View Post

Monie!!! HOW EXCITING!!! I am so happy for you guys.. Its almost TIME!!!
One week from today!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: