Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

First time to DisneyLand

I have been to WDW several times, but this coming spring will be my first chance to visit DL.

In brief, I have mobility issues, and normally rent an ECV when I travel to WDW. It is possible I missed it, but does anyone have any specific recommendations and/or advice for visiting DL? Like, vendors to rent from? Comparison of access to rides and getting through the parks?

Thanks.

I'll go back and re-read the stickies. In the past, I have devoted most of my attention to the WDW details, so some of what I may need to know is there and I just don't remember it, but any personal advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

D.

For clarification - my mobility issues are stamina/endurance related, and the ECV has always been an acceptable solution to my problems. I am not interested, nor do I believe myself eligible for the DAS, so I am not asking questions about that program. I know that WDW is much larger than DL, but I do not know if DL is "smaller enough" that I would be able to enjoy it without an ECV, and having no experience with DL I do not know enough to know what I need to ask to know, if you know what I mean.
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

Last edited by dayvewc; 08-26-2014 at 12:29 PM.
dayvewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Here is a link to Disneyland's webpage for Guests with Disabilities. There is some info here about using mobility devices, and if you scroll to the bottom of the page there are links to the guidemaps with accessible entrances and such information. Disneyland Park, as a much older park, has many more attractions with alternative/accessible entrances. DL makes use of "wheelchair return cards" much more so than any of the WDW parks; it's like a FP with a 1 hour window for return to the accessible entrance. Disney's California Adventure, as a much newer park, I believe is entirely (or almost entirely) accessible through the standard queues.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...-disabilities/

I'm sure others will post specific experiences...but hopefully this gets you started. Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Here is a link to Disneyland's webpage for Guests with Disabilities. There is some info here about using mobility devices, and if you scroll to the bottom of the page there are links to the guidemaps with accessible entrances and such information. Disneyland Park, as a much older park, has many more attractions with alternative/accessible entrances. DL makes use of "wheelchair return cards" much more so than any of the WDW parks; it's like a FP with a 1 hour window for return to the accessible entrance. Disney's California Adventure, as a much newer park, I believe is entirely (or almost entirely) accessible through the standard queues.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...-disabilities/

I'm sure others will post specific experiences...but hopefully this gets you started. Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks. That page has some really good information. I keep finding parts of it when I do a search on disneyland.com, but I don't think I'd managed to find that page yet.

With the "wheelchair return cards", are they used in addition to or in place of FP? I'm somewhat familiar with them at WDW on BTMRR and Jungle Cruise, but where I've used them at WDW was after the FP+ came out, so not exactly sure how to integrate the WRC and FP together.

Thanks again, and thanks in advance.
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

At the California parks, the wheelchair return cards are separate from FP or DAS. They are issued to keep lines from backing up at the accessible entrances. You may continue to use FP at DLR/DCA as you normally would (these are still the "old" paper FP's).

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
At the California parks, the wheelchair return cards are separate from FP or DAS. They are issued to keep lines from backing up at the accessible entrances. You may continue to use FP at DLR/DCA as you normally would (these are still the "old" paper FP's).

Enjoy your vacation!
So, just making sure I have the idea correct, if I get a FP for ride X with a return time between 11:15 am - 12:15 pm, I can return at 11:15 and will be directed to the accessible entrance? (Assuming that ride X has a different accessible entrance).

It's not the case where I get the FP for the return time, and then at return I get the wheelchair access card for another return time later?

Just trying to get it set straight in my mind.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

That is my understanding. If you arrive with a FP, they will issue a w/c return card good immediately and valid for 1 hour. If the w/c line seems particularly long at the moment, you do have the option of doing something else and coming back within the hour. Or you may wait at the accessible entrance.

Hopefully someone with w/c experience at DLR will chime in to confirm that.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
VicMom
Mouseketeer

That's right dayvewc.

For the rides that there is a separate line-up for guests in wheelchairs (off-hand I remember Jungle Cruise, Star Tours, IASM, Buzz Lightyear, RSR from when I was there last year with my clients who are in wheelchairs from my work) you just speak with the CM at the entrance and ask if you can go in through the regular line or how can you access the ride.

We would ask the CM at every ride just to make sure that we were in the right place following the right method. Three things would happen when we asked-we would be directed to the regular line-up, be directed to a different line or given a pass with a time to come back to enter the ride later.

We would get the paper FP's at the machines and we would use those for the rides that we knew had just one line-up (Soarin' Over California and Tower of Terror off the top of my head). Then we would still have separate tickets for the rides that have separate wheelchair lines that we would have to return to ride. They are two completely different systems and aren't linked together at all as the wheelchair return times are handed to you and your pass isn't scanned in a machine to get them like you do for a regular FP.

Hope that makes sense (I'm tired and not sure if I'm making sense or rambling right now).
VicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Thanks!! I think that answers my questions about that.

I've heard that the paths through Disney Land in particular are narrower, does anyone know how difficult they are to travel in an ECV?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
VicMom
Mouseketeer

Yes they are narrower but you should be OK.

I've had to drive my client's powerchair through DL (so I'm walking beside him) and I only had a few times where it was awkward-like sidewalks on main street so we just avoided them unless we were trying to get into a store.

The hardest thing I found was that people just randomly stop in front of you or cut you off and then get grumpy if they get clipped in the process. You do what you can but, especially when it's really crowded-like after fireworks or WOC-you do your best. My tip is that when you are in the over crowded times like that, is to find a place out of the way (you can't be obstructing traffic) and wait for things to thin out. No sense fighting the crowd if you can wait 15 or 20 min to make it easier.
VicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Ok. Thanks. It is sounding more and more like I'm worrying over nothing.

Yes the paths are narrower. Which means that the parks will feel more crowded. But just use basic common sense and courtesy (but don't really expect everyone else to do the same) and it will all be good.

Just like it is at WDW.

Pay attention, go slow, and when faced with mass crowds, move to the side and stop and wait.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: