Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Goddesstree
Mouseketeer

Before zipping around in a scooter

Before zipping around in a scooter, it would be really nice if people practiced backing up, making turns, and stopping.

On my trip last week, a gentleman got his scooter hung up on the ride vehicle at Soarin'. He had no idea how to back it up, turn it, whatever it took to get it unhooked from the corner. Two other guests pretty much moved the scooter back by force. The ride vehicle was OK, even though it had been pushed a few inches off its resting position. No idea how the scooter made out.

On the Great Movie Ride, while loading into the accessible vehicle, a woman rammed her scooter into her child's wheelchair, while he was in it. The force of the collision pushed him up to the seatback in front of him, squishing his legs. It was a pretty loud/abrupt collision. This was after it took two CMs and a guest helping her get it on the vehicle at the right angle. I don't think she'd ever done a 3 point turn before?

Also saw 3 people miss the ramp getting onto the busses down there, 2 of them realized it in time and were able to stop and back up. The 3rd didn't fare as well and almost tipped over.

People just need a little practice before they get into the mix of things. Too bad WDW doesn't have a little course that guests could practice on beforehand? Maybe a practice bus ramp and a small doorway with a sharp turn?

I was very impressed with the CMs down there. They all seemed very adept at hand over hand manipulation of the scooters. The bus drivers loaded scooters very quickly too. They are masters of scooter parallel parking

CMs were making sure guests did not have children riding on the scooters, stopping quite a few guests while we were there. No conflicts when stopped, although I admit that we didn't always see the entire situation. For the heat of August, there were lots of scooters but everyone seemed to be respectful of each other.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

My mother uses a scooter every time we go and she practices in the parking lot. Know matter what, it is very difficult loading it on the buses. Some drivers are helpful and some refuse to help at all. I found myself manually loading the scooter on the bus for her so I wouldn't have to look at all those frustrated faces waiting to get on. The biggest problem iv seen is how fast there going on these scooters never mind the fact there riding around with there grandchildren on there laps. For most, many people follow the rules when using there scooters, so when the general public is walking around they need to understand that these scooters can not stop on a dime so people need to be award to not jump in front of one to get by quickly. This happened to my mother on our last trip in November at ak. This father with his daughter were trying to get out of the park and I guess they thought my mother was driving too slow so he jumped around us and got directly in front of her so she stopped immediately but all scooters tend to roll alittle bit and hit the back of his leg. He started screaming at her and saying that she needed to watch where she was going. I was about to say something but she ended up telling him off saying you got what you deserved,that's what happens when you jump in front of a moving vehicle.

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)

Last edited by babydoll65; 08-30-2014 at 06:40 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Just a little while ago in Animal Kingdom, I had a lady on a scooter (with a little girl in her lap using the controls) ram directly into the back of my own scooter on one of the animal trails. The girl nearly fell, and the lady got mad at me, even though I had been sitting still.

I've seen a lot of kids on laps driving scooters this week and it bugs me a lot worse than adults who just don't know what they're doing.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

About 18 months, before FP+, Figment often had no wait whatsoever. We were being seated, and noticed an older guy approching the loading area on an ECV. A CM directed him where to park it, and he moved very slowly toward the area. Then, just as he was about a foot away, he "jammed the gas" instead of the brake, and went crashing into the wall. Our loading CM just shook his head, rolled his eyes, and told us "happens practically every day here." The guy on the ECV was fine, just startled and embarassed.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I definitely think practicing would be beneficial. It'd be nice if the WDW CMs could give a basic rundown tutorial or something, but obviously people get EVCs from all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
Just a little while ago in Animal Kingdom, I had a lady on a scooter (with a little girl in her lap using the controls) ram directly into the back of my own scooter on one of the animal trails. The girl nearly fell, and the lady got mad at me, even though I had been sitting still. I've seen a lot of kids on laps driving scooters this week and it bugs me a lot worse than adults who just don't know what they're doing.
I honestly thought of that previous thread we had about a kid driving a blind persons EVC with this story.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
asta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddesstree View Post
Before zipping around in a scooter, it would be really nice if people practiced backing up, making turns, and stopping.

On my trip last week, a gentleman got his scooter hung up on the ride vehicle at Soarin'. He had no idea how to back it up, turn it, whatever it took to get it unhooked from the corner. Two other guests pretty much moved the scooter back by force. The ride vehicle was OK, even though it had been pushed a few inches off its resting position. No idea how the scooter made out.

On the Great Movie Ride, while loading into the accessible vehicle, a woman rammed her scooter into her child's wheelchair, while he was in it. The force of the collision pushed him up to the seatback in front of him, squishing his legs. It was a pretty loud/abrupt collision. This was after it took two CMs and a guest helping her get it on the vehicle at the right angle. I don't think she'd ever done a 3 point turn before?

Also saw 3 people miss the ramp getting onto the busses down there, 2 of them realized it in time and were able to stop and back up. The 3rd didn't fare as well and almost tipped over.

People just need a little practice before they get into the mix of things. Too bad WDW doesn't have a little course that guests could practice on beforehand? Maybe a practice bus ramp and a small doorway with a sharp turn?

I was very impressed with the CMs down there. They all seemed very adept at hand over hand manipulation of the scooters. The bus drivers loaded scooters very quickly too. They are masters of scooter parallel parking

CMs were making sure guests did not have children riding on the scooters, stopping quite a few guests while we were there. No conflicts when stopped, although I admit that we didn't always see the entire situation. For the heat of August, there were lots of scooters but everyone seemed to be respectful of each other.
Threads like this are so very discouraging. Mobility issues are so very, very hard to deal with and WDW has made the decision to make scooters/wheelchairs the only way to cope with the pain and instability. I have never used an ECV and am too frightened to try. I have notoriously bad eye hand coordination and I just can't trust myself in a crowd. And then to have to deal with the judgement of others is just too much!

When you are tempted to get frustrated at ECV users please be aware that many of them wish there was another option to be able to enjoy time with their families at the parks.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I definitely think practicing would be beneficial. It'd be nice if the WDW CMs could give a basic rundown tutorial or something, but obviously people get EVCs from all over the place.

I honestly thought of that previous thread we had about a kid driving a blind persons EVC with this story.
I know! I was thinking the same thing. I put that instance in the "What Could Possibly Go Wrong" file.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta View Post
Threads like this are so very discouraging. Mobility issues are so very, very hard to deal with and WDW has made the decision to make scooters/wheelchairs the only way to cope with the pain and instability. I have never used an ECV and am too frightened to try. I have notoriously bad eye hand coordination and I just can't trust myself in a crowd. And then to have to deal with the judgement of others is just too much!

When you are tempted to get frustrated at ECV users please be aware that many of them wish there was another option to be able to enjoy time with their families at the parks.
as someone who also is physically unable to use an ECV, I respectfully point out that if you think you can benefit from one that it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to learn how to use one BEFORE going somewhere like a major theme park to try doing so for the first time. every single grocery store has them. you can practice at home weeks ahead of time.

doubly so for an electric wheelchair/power chair.

of course you will be judged if you couldn't be bothered to be responsible and proactive enough to make sure you could operate the thing. it's not because you are disabled, it is because you are dumb enough to think you can use a heavy piece of machinery with zero training or practice.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
1025cruise
Mouseketeer

This actually concerns me for my upcoming trip. I am renting an ECV for the first time due to a bad back limiting the distances I can do. I plan to "practice" around the resort first before getting on the bus.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Madame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've seen a lot of kids on laps driving scooters this week and it bugs me a lot worse than adults who just don't know what they're doing.
^^This!! I saw three different people allowing the toddlers/small children on their lap to drive the scooter. One was actually laughing as the little girl slalomed back & forth in front on the stroller pick-up entrance in MK. I'm sure there were more but the three we noticed almost ran us over!!

. August 2014 AoA Cars/Lion King suite
Old 08-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Goddesstree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta View Post

Are your negative comments directed at me? Nowhere in my post did I say people shouldn't use scooters, or that people without the ability to walk the parks shouldn't go, did I? Or am I misreading your intentions? If so, I am very sorry, but it just sounds to me like you have read a lot into my OP.

I would like to hear what other options you would suggest besides wheelchairs and scooters for mobility issues. If you are talking about Segways, well, then I agree with Disney that they do not belong in the parks, especially after seeing people have trouble with scooters. I'm not sure what else Disney could do - they can't make the parks smaller.

The purpose of my post was to hopefully let people know that there are some trickier parts to navigate at WDW, and that they should practice a few maneuvers like 3 point turns, backing up, and knowing where the sides of the ECV are when making a tight turn. I was never frustrated by anyone using an ECV, just concerned when others got hurt, got stuck, etc. If my mom ever gets healthy enough to return to WDW, she will need a scooter or wheelchair. I'm hoping she does make the trip, but I want to see her handle a scooter before I take her to a park. I like the idea of practicing in a parking lot, as long as she doesn't hit any cars
Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Goddesstree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025cruise View Post
This actually concerns me for my upcoming trip. I am renting an ECV for the first time due to a bad back limiting the distances I can do. I plan to "practice" around the resort first before getting on the bus.
If you have a chance to go by the bus stops in your ECV, practice the entrance turn from the accessible queue area to the curb. Most busses stop with the back door not lined up directly across the queue. (at least at Pop Century) This makes for a very awkward angle of "turn right then left onto ramp" that can be challenging. Maybe hang out in the area to see the procedure before you attempt it? At least, that's what I would do.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
emily94
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Just a little while ago in Animal Kingdom, I had a lady on a scooter (with a little girl in her lap using the controls) ram directly into the back of my own scooter on one of the animal trails. The girl nearly fell, and the lady got mad at me, even though I had been sitting still.

I agree!! I was walking and was rammed in the calf/back of my ankles by a kid "driving" a scooter it is obnoxious and can injure the fellow park goers!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025cruise View Post
Instead of having the ecv dropped off, meet the company representative and have them show you how it works. Practice a few minutes with him or her there and ask questions. Every company will meet you you just have to ask
Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #15
Toffeewoffy
Mouseketeer

I had two ECVs during our 7-day stay. The first was bad and ran on a good foot after you let go of the tiller. The second was almost lethal! If I went over bumpy ground (and there's a lot of textured concrete at the parks) the knob would turn itself round and either go super-slow or super-fast before I'd realised it had moved. It also ran on further than the first one did, especially if I wasn't set to minimum speed. In reverse it was almost impossible to control and I did lose control of it in a queue at one of the parks (can't remember which) and ram someone. I was extremely apologetic and he said it was alright, but I knew he was pigged off. I was, too, but there wasn't anything I could do about it: I'd been hired a duff machine and I had to put up with it for 3 days.

But I would reiterate that there are no brakes on an ECV. There is a rocking tiller. You take your fingers off the tiller to stop and it will roll to a halt. I mentioned this to someone as being dangerous, but she said the reason why they do that is so you don't lurch to a sudden halt - which could be dangerous for the rider.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: