Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

DAS: which park is the easiest and quickest to obtain a DAS?

i'm visually impaired. i never got a GAC when it was in place nor have i gotten the DAS card.
i never needed it cuz i always went with friends/family.
i am considering a solo trip.
i discussed the benefits of the DAS with a disability rep from WDW and he said it COULD help to have it in certain situations (although i doubt it) so i'm going to at least get one as a just in case.

i've heard that some people have a hard time obtaining one sometimes and it can be a long drawn out process that is frustrating and wastes time.

i'm wondering if there is a specific park that i should obtain it from to make it easier on me and faster?
if so i'd go to that park on my first day.

for example i hear how people have had difficulty obtaining it at MK and how someone was able to get it very easily at epcot without too much frustration.
does what i've heard have any truth to it?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Not really. It's more about your needs and how you present them.

I think those complaints happened more in the beginning but I really haven't seen any in a pretty long time.
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney world dreamer View Post
... for example i hear how people have had difficulty obtaining it at MK and how someone was able to get it very easily at epcot without too much frustration.
does what i've heard have any truth to it?
Actually, I've heard more reports that EPCOT was more challenging for requesting a DAS than other parks. But those reports were mainly last year when the program first launched, not much recently -- presumably there has been more training since then. Also, many reports from those refused a DAS were from people who previously had a GAC for mobility or stamina related needs, which do not qualify for a DAS.

You will want to be prepared to discuss your needs, and not your diagnosis or condition. Explain how waiting in a standard queue environment would be challenging or impossible for you. Maybe provide specific examples.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Actually, I've heard more reports that EPCOT was more challenging for requesting a DAS than other parks. But those reports were mainly last year when the program first launched, not much recently -- presumably there has been more training since then. Also, many reports from those refused a DAS were from people who previously had a GAC for mobility or stamina related needs, which do not qualify for a DAS.

You will want to be prepared to discuss your needs, and not your diagnosis or condition. Explain how waiting in a standard queue environment would be challenging or impossible for you. Maybe provide specific examples.

Enjoy your vacation!
actually my main need has to do with mobility.
due to being visually impaired i have terrible night blindness which makes it difficult to navigate the complex queues.
since for most attractions the alternative entrance is just the FP+ queue which is going to be the same complex and dark queue as the SB queue i don't see how DAS would help.
sooooo it doesn't seem like i'd be eligible for DAS correct?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Sometimes the FP ques are more direct. It might not be shorter, but it may have fewer switch backs and less twist and turns. In those cases I could understand how the DAS would be beneficial for you.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
Sometimes the FP ques are more direct. It might not be shorter, but it may have fewer switch backs and less twist and turns. In those cases I could understand how the DAS would be beneficial for you.
just a few rides that i can think of off the top of my head that are dark and also side by side and/or merging SB and FP+ queues are space mountain, splash mountain, tower of terror, rock n roller coaster, the great movie ride, soarin....
in these queues it would be just as difficult no matter which line i get in.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
due to being visually impaired i have terrible night blindness which makes it difficult to navigate the complex queues.
since for most attractions the alternative entrance is just the FP+ queue which is going to be the same complex and dark queue as the SB queue i don't see how DAS would help.
I wouldn't refer to your issue as "mobility" because they'll immediately think wheelchair or ECV (which probably aren't useful to you).

Your second statement is a better descriptor -- difficulty navigating in the darkness and need for the most direct route. You are correct that the vast majority of the time the DAS will direct you into the FP+ queue. And PP is correct that while many FP+ queues follow next to the standby queue, it doesn't wind around and back as much; it may not be technically shorter, but fewer turns. You can also speak with the CM at the ride to discuss whether there is any other alternative entrance more direct than FP+ but it may not be better; for example, at Splash the accessible entrance is through the exit, but it's not immediately into the exit and you have to essentially "swim upstream" against those exiting the ride. But if that's an easier route for you, speak with the CMs to request it. At Soarin, the queue is approximately a quarter-mile long -- both in and out, I don't know that there's any other way to get there; the FP+ line shouldn't have as many switchbacks, though.

Also, it's been suggested to carry a white cane. Even if you don't typically need one for daily life, it is a visual signal to CMs and others while navigating the parks.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Actually, I've heard more reports that EPCOT was more challenging for requesting a DAS than other parks. But those reports were mainly last year when the program first launched, not much recently -- presumably there has been more training since then.
We got ours at EPCOT in June and it was the easiest & most pleasant experience we've ever had. We've also gotten in & out of Animal Kingdom pretty quickly and with no problems. MK is always packed and we've had some not-so-friendly CMs there. We've never gotten one at HS but have been very impressed with Guest Services there when we went in for another issue.
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Speaking as a person with similar issues, I wouldn't call them "mobility," either. When people refer to "mobility" in the context of getting around in the parks, they mean things like being able to put enough weight on their legs and being able to move their legs enough to walk around.

Although our visual impairments affect our mobility in that we can't always see where we're going, they don't necessarily affect our capacity for locomotion in that direction. So, if you tell the CM at Guest Services, that your needs are related to "mobility," they're trained to tell you to use a wheelchair. Well, that won't help us, because when we're blinded by coming out of the sun into a darkened building, we can't see to wheel ourselves across the room any better than we'd be able to see to walk across the room!

Many FP queues are still dark, but some are relatively safer than the standby queues. For instance, the FP queue in Space Mountain has ramps instead of steps. As long as I cling to the railing and walk slowly (other people can pass me if they're in a hurry) I do OK in there.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
smidgy
dimples

I agree also. do not use the word mobility.. we got a DAS for my husband. I just explained that it isn't safe for him to try to manuever the dark, twisy lines, he bumps into things, gets hurt. people behind us step on his heels.

the FP line is a shorter distance. anything helps. also tell CMs at shows that you need to sit in the front.

some rides will let you use an alternative entrance .. nemo at living seas is one. we went through the gift shop and wiatied by the handicapped entrance.

also for continious moving rides, ask them to slow down the vehicle while you enter to give you more time (they can't do this at perter pan, though.)
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
disney world dreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I agree also. do not use the word mobility.. we got a DAS for my husband. I just explained that it isn't safe for him to try to manuever the dark, twisy lines, he bumps into things, gets hurt. people behind us step on his heels.

the FP line is a shorter distance. anything helps. also tell CMs at shows that you need to sit in the front.

some rides will let you use an alternative entrance .. nemo at living seas is one. we went through the gift shop and wiatied by the handicapped entrance.

also for continious moving rides, ask them to slow down the vehicle while you enter to give you more time (they can't do this at perter pan, though.)
i appreciate your comments.
however i find the fastpass lines to be no better. i'm still bumping into things and actually the longer i'm in dim light the easier it is to see cuz my eyes have time to adjust so waiting in the regular line actually works better when its a dark line.

i've already asked about alternative entrances for the attractions i like to go on that have dim lines and was told that the fastpass line is the alternative entrance for those lines.

since i've been visually impaired my whole life first my family and now on my own i advocate for myself at shows so i am always in the first couple of rows no DAS required.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #12
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I got one at DHS out side without a problem I was sitting on my scooter when I got it. I was very surprised at how quick and simple. The CM that I talked to was super nice.

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
becd
Mouseketeer

I have gotten them at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios (most recently - last week). Animal Kingdom was incredibly easy but I always go there late in the day when the park is relatively empty. I had no issues at HS last week, but mine was a reissue as opposed to a new card so that may have been why - they just reprinted it with the new dates.
becd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: