Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW
 
ArielRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,223

Question Assistance at quick service locations?

This up coming trip it will just be DS (4 Autistic) and I for our first mother son trip. Previous trips DH has been with us so I had some extra hands. Which is helpful at quick service location since DS uses his stroller as a wheelchair. Either I or DH pushes DS while the other carries the food.

My question is there any assitance at quick services locations to help carry food to a table for us? I like to be able to have my hands free to either push my son in his stroller or if not using the stroller to make sure I have hands free to keep him from wondering off as he does. If there is help where and how do I go about getting it when I arrive at these locations? Thank you
__________________
Offsite - 1999(1st WDW Trip - High School Senior Trip)
Offsite - 2014(Quality Inn & Suites)
All Star Music - 2005(Honeymoon)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielRae
This up coming trip it will just be DS (4 Autistic) and I for our first mother son trip. Previous trips DH has been with us so I had some extra hands. Which is helpful at quick service location since DS uses his stroller as a wheelchair. Either I or DH pushes DS while the other carries the food.

My question is there any assitance at quick services locations to help carry food to a table for us? I like to be able to have my hands free to either push my son in his stroller or if not using the stroller to make sure I have hands free to keep him from wondering off as he does. If there is help where and how do I go about getting it when I arrive at these locations? Thank you
You should be able to tell the person taking your order that you need assistance and they can have someone take it to your table for you. If they give you any problems (not that I think they will) just politely let them know the stroller is being used as a wheelchair and your son can not be left alone.

Last edited by wilkeliza; 07-25-2014 at 10:26 AM.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,570
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
You should be able to tell the person taking your order that you need assistance and they can have someone take it to your table for you. If they give you any problems (not that I think they will) just politely let them know the stroller is being used as a wheelchair abs your son can not be left alone.
Yes.
That is how I have gotten assistance when I have been alone with DD who uses a wheelchair.
Sometimes they will offer, but if they don't, just ask. You may have to wait a few minutes for someone to get free, but they will assist you.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW
 
ArielRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,223

Thanks!

How does this work at places like sunshine seasons and resort food courts where you go and get the food first then check out? We will be staying at Pop Century.
__________________
Offsite - 1999(1st WDW Trip - High School Senior Trip)
Offsite - 2014(Quality Inn & Suites)
All Star Music - 2005(Honeymoon)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielRae
Thanks!

How does this work at places like sunshine seasons and resort food courts where you go and get the food first then check out? We will be staying at Pop Century.
There should be CMs roaming the area cleaning and such. You can ask them to help or you can ask the person serving your food to help take it to the pay station and table.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,570
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
There should be CMs roaming the area cleaning and such. You can ask them to help or you can ask the person serving your food to help take it to the pay station and table.
I would agree. This is what we have done when eating there.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW
 
ArielRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,223

Ok thank you very much.
__________________
Offsite - 1999(1st WDW Trip - High School Senior Trip)
Offsite - 2014(Quality Inn & Suites)
All Star Music - 2005(Honeymoon)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:56 AM   #8
Gilrond
Mouseketeer
 
Gilrond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 126

I use an ECV and usually travel alone and often a CM will offer to help me. If not, I ask and have always gotten the help I need.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #9
Toffeewoffy
Mouseketeer
 
Toffeewoffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South of London
Posts: 232

When we went to Sunshine Seasons the first time this year, DD went off on her own to get something to eat from the other end while I queued up for the salmon. Once I'd got it, I realised I wasn't going to be able to carry the tray and drive the ECV. A CM came over in the blink of an eye and offered to help me, and she carried the tray, got my dessert for me and my drink, carried it through the payment point while I scanned my MB, and then located DD who was luckily on an edge table so I was able to park my ECV right next to it. Once parked up I was able to hobble back to the amenities point and pick up straw, serviettes and plastic cutlery etc while DD watched my bag and ECV.

The second time we went to SS DD stayed with me and she carried the tray etc herself.

My point is that I didn't even have to ask. The CM saw immediately I had a problem and came to my aid almost before I realised I needed it!
Toffeewoffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.