Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
O2H O2H
Mouseketeer

How do I know which scooter company to choose?

We are staying offsite, so I don't think that there is any benefit that I can see from going with a "preferred provider". Is there? When I was going to stay onsite, I was going to go with Buena Vista, but I wonder if there are some others that are just as good, except cheaper bc they are not "preferred"? I am concerned about getting stuck in the park with a dead battery or other issue.

Does anyone know of a scooter rental that is closeish to the Windsor Hills area? Bc that would be a huge help, since we have to pick up/drop off.

Thanks for any insight or input!

Former PAP at DLR/DCA, moved away, and 5 years later planning my first trip to WDW for December 2014. LET ME IN THOSE PARKS!!!
O2H O2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

You'd have to look up the different companies to find their proximities to Windsor Hills, but any reputable company would be responsive and prompt. Buena Vista Scooters isn't expensive because they're a featured vendor; they're expensive because they have high overhead.

I've had great experiences with Randy's, Walker, and Scooterama.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

My dd is renting from a local medical supply here at home for her trip in November so she will have it at the airports as well. Its also about a fourth of the cost ($50 for the week) of renting down there.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2H O2H View Post
We are staying offsite... since we have to pick up/drop off.
Is there a reason you HAVE to pick-up/drop-off? Most of the rental companies will deliver, not just to WDW resorts but other locations off-site. Unless you have a particular preference for picking it up yourself, you might want to ask about delivery to where you are staying off-site.

And you are correct, the "featured provider" designation has no impact on your rental off-site.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
O2H O2H
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Is there a reason you HAVE to pick-up/drop-off? Most of the rental companies will deliver, not just to WDW resorts but other locations off-site. Unless you have a particular preference for picking it up yourself, you might want to ask about delivery to where you are staying off-site.

And you are correct, the "featured provider" designation has no impact on your rental off-site.

Enjoy your vacation!
No, I mean, I asked buena vista, and one other company, and they said that they don't deliver to or pick up from residences. We are renting a condo. I guess since those 2 didn't, I assumed that the others didn't either, but I will start calling around, I guess, to see what the deal is. I am trying to figure out what size of scooter to rent, too. I mean, I really should get one with a 300lb limit (I am 250's, and dh, who would be using occasionally is 300). I am just a little worried about getting one of the bigger ones in the van! I have a minivan, but we would be driving with the smaller of the back seats and both center seats occupied. That leaves about 2/3 of the back available for scooter, once we take everything out. I WISH we were flying, but we are driving down. UGH.

Former PAP at DLR/DCA, moved away, and 5 years later planning my first trip to WDW for December 2014. LET ME IN THOSE PARKS!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2H O2H View Post
... they said that they don't deliver to or pick up from residences. We are renting a condo. ...
I was thinking more like an offsite hotel/resort. I know at least some of the companies will deliver to those locations. Hadn't really thought about a private residence. Good luck!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Walker delivers to condos and homes http://walkermobility.com/mobility-scooter-rental-faqs/
Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
I'm so glad to hear that Walker will delivered to residences. I recommended them to a couple of people that I saw in the parks when we were on our last trip, and both were staying at places they had rented offsite. I told them I wasn't sure if Walker would deliver to where they were but I knew that they would at least be able to meet walker outside the parks. I'm glad that it probably worked out for them!

I can't recommend Walker mobility highly enough. The battery life of their scooters, their great customer service, and their really really nice people are why I rent from them every time I go to WDW. They are even nice enough to send a thank you note when you get back home.
JenniBugInPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
kaytieeldr

What? I never got any thank you note!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
What? I never got any thank you note!
On behalf of Walker Mobility, !! I appreciate you using them because I never want them to go out of business. Yes, I love them that much!
JenniBugInPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

Smile

Walker Mobility has delivered scooters to our condos for many years. Be sure to give the drivers the gate code and a number to call if they get lost once in the community.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #12
JudithM
DIS Veteran

I have been using Walker Mobility for about 14 years and love them for all the reason mentioned above: customer service on the phone and in person, scooters that run all day and night, delivery and pick-up, etc. Even though they are not s Disney preferred provider, they go out of their way to accommodate your times for delivery and pick-up.
JudithM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #13
O2H O2H
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the recommendations! I did decide to go with Walker after speaking with them on the phone. They seemed like they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable, and to make pick up/drop off easy peasy. Praying it goes as well as promised!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: