Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Why do you go solo?

So I've noticed a lot of new Disney lovers that are ...shall we say ..a little nervous about going solo...be it a cruise or the parks.
So how about it expert solo travelers....what is it about going solo do you enjoy?
And what advice can you give our new solo travelers that you've learned over time....let's help our new friends find the joy we all have when we go solo....

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

I go solo on holiday as I am single and if I didn't go solo I wouldn't go on holiday. I also don't like sharing a room so solo is best. Advise talk to people it took me a while to learn to do that you Americans are so friendly it took a while to get used to it. I also, if I see a family take pictures like to offer to take pictures so both parents can be in the same picture. Last time I went to one of the MNSSHP there was a family all dressed up so I asked if they wanted me to take a couple of pictures so mum and dad could both be in it, they said yes and another couple saw me do it and asked if I could do it for them that sort of thing makes the holiday nicer.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
DisneyDee27
Disney fanatic since '75

I love going solo because I get to do what I want without having to run others ragged. Going solo allows you to take it all in at your pace, You can meet people or people watch. try new things or avoid rides you dislike. If you don't want to meet new people put on some headphones and wander...solo is fantastic!

DL 1975, WDW 1998, Tokyo DL/DS 2006, 2007 & 2013, Paris DL 2009, DCL Dream B2B 2011, 2013 & 2014, DCL Fantasy 2012 & 2014, HKDL 2013, DCL Magic 2014
DisneyDee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
newcomer52
we're not weird, just practical!

I go solo because I am solo. Divorced and kids are grown with their own families. I love being at WDW and would not have all these trips if I didn't want to go solo. There is nothing more relaxing that doing whatever you want to do, eating when and where you want. going full out or just sitting around. It is fabulous. I enjoy being with the family sometimes also, but they can not go nearly as much as I can. You have to be a person that is comfort with yourself.

Jeralyn
Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I go solo because my family is tired of Disney and I still love it. I was nervous my first trip but quickly discovered I LOVED going solo.
I have my 7th? 8th? trip coming up later this year and I am excited for it.

I love using the single rider lines. They save so much time.

It's fun to stop in a bar and have a drink or two, chat with the people around you and the bartenders.

I get to ride the rides I want (rode HM 7 times in a row!), how often I want and don't have to wait around for others to do the rides I don't like.

Take pictures! I love to take pictures and I can do that to my hearts content when I'm solo.
I've taken plenty of pictures for other people so everyone in their group can be in the picture. When I see them, I just offer to do it for them. It's such a simple thing and it's a good feeling to help others and most are very appreciative of it.

Chat with people in lines and on the buses. It embarrasses my family when I talk to strangers (although my teenage son is more used to it now) so I can do that without embarrassing anyone.

Eat where I want. There are several restaurants I've tried that my family would never eat at and I'm looking forward to trying more in the future.

I'm comfortable with myself and I think that helps alot when traveling solo.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
forever a child
Earning My Ears

I have been thinking about going solo too. My DD is getting ready to leave for college and she is my only child. I am divorced/never remarried and have no interest in remarrying. I have girl friends but they either have children still at home or have no interest in WDW.

I am seriously considering it.
forever a child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
rtfelt
Disneyland AP

I've never done a sole "trip" because I live so close to DL, but I go there solo all the time. Now my children are all in upper school levels (not elementary anymore that's easier to skip) and can't miss, I often go by myself for the day. I was nervous the first time thinking I would feel weird, but I loved it. I just love being in Disney, so I enjoy just being there. I've even just gone, found a bench in the shade and read my book, but my favorite part is talking with the other guests in line (I've met some wonderful people and had some fabulous conversations) and the CM's.

Rose
rtfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

I travelled a lot for business, so going solo is something I'm comfortable with. I've made a few solo trips to WDW, and never had a problem. It helps that I like to spend time taking photographs and just wandering around.

Now that my husband and I are both retired, I won't be doing many solo trips to Disney. But, even though we go together, I will still spend a fair amount of time in the parks alone (not sure he will ever visit DHS or stay for a fireworks show).

So, solos should know that they don't look out of place - there are lots of reasons a person might be solo in a park. Mom or Dad could be taking a break from the kids (or each other), and so on.

Eating is the hardest for most people, but it's fun once you get used to it. Stick to counter service at first, but do try at least one TS if there is a place you want to try. People won't think you're weird (and, who cares if they do )
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

I go Solo because I can.

That... and traditionally I've been single so it's just easier to end up going alone than trying to count on others coming with.

I also love the freedom to just do what I want... see what I want... and not have to worry about how this particular show or ride may not be what they are in the mood for or the 60min wait for a 3min Solo Rider Line ride.

And it also doesn't hurt that i'm a night-owl by nature, so I can usually enjoy running around the parks much later than some of the other people I've toured with.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I go Solo because I can.

That... and traditionally I've been single so it's just easier to end up going alone than trying to count on others coming with.

I also love the freedom to just do what I want... see what I want... and not have to worry about how this particular show or ride may not be what they are in the mood for or the 60min wait for a 3min Solo Rider Line ride.

And it also doesn't hurt that i'm a night-owl by nature, so I can usually enjoy running around the parks much later than some of the other people I've toured with.
hey I've closed the park with you!!! but you're right, there is A LOT of freedom going solo...and it's not even just shows or rides...you can eat whatever and whenever you want. you don't have to have the conversation "what do you want to eat...I don't know, what do you want...."
if you feel like going to Rose and Crown 3 times in one week, you can!

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post
hey I've closed the park with you!!! but you're right, there is A LOT of freedom going solo...and it's not even just shows or rides...you can eat whatever and whenever you want. you don't have to have the conversation "what do you want to eat...I don't know, what do you want...."
if you feel like going to Rose and Crown 3 times in one week, you can!
Oh! I'm not saying EVERYONE couldn't handle it like me.... but some people aren't big fans of sticking around so late.... even if it's just waiting around the park after close for a bit to let the crowds leaving (and heading to the TTC) thin out a bit. In some ways, That works 2 ways. (They don't have to wait around for me to be ready to leave)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

Even though I always go with my family I always take a day or two for myself and I love it, the only thing that still gets me nervous is dining by myself but I am getting more comfortable as time goes by. I can't express enough how relaxing is going to Disney solo. You get to experience Disney in a whole different way and do things that you might never do if you had company with you. When I go solo is all about what I want to do, what rides do I want to ride, I can ride them how many times I want, I can eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I can go at my own pace. I haven't done TS still, I think I am too young to use the excuse that I am taking a break from DS/DD/DH LOL.
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
ludari
DIS Veteran

Going solo allows me to enjoy myself and really relax. When I'm at Disneyland or WDW I can choose what park and ride most interest me and not have to take a vote or discuss my choices with anyone. I can also visit the park as long or as short and when it's time to enjoy a meal I choose where I want to eat. Visiting a nice resturant solo also has it's perks because I usually do not have to make a reservation. On cruises most staterooms are small but when you travel solo you have the entire room to yourself. I don't have to worry about waking anyone up and I when it's time to go on a port adventure I can do what I want. During meals I can choose to sit with others or have my own table (I've done both). The freedom to do what you like when you want is very relaxing and liberating. I've met some wonderful people at the parks and on cruises.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
bigsurandrea
Earning My Ears

My first Solo trip is going to be this weekend at Disneyland and Disneys California Adventure Park.. I am really really looking forward to it because the last three or four times I have gone its been with people who have never been before and they all had me choose what to do and it gets really exhausting when trying to plan 9 peoples lives... What are people suggestions to do while I'm at the park alone?
bigsurandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I've never been for a whole solo trip, but since I'm the only rope-drop early riser in the family I tend to have mornings in the parks to myself. It's my chance to indulge myself.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: