Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Shades of Green...

Has anyone from the boards ever stayed at Shades of Green?
Oh, and a clear up from the podcast...my brother in law was killed in action in 2002. My sister has a military ID as a widow and always will because, technically speaking, my brother-in-law is forever active duty. She also gets a better discount at Shades of Green because out of respect.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

My in-laws stayed there. Nice sized room. We only visited there. But I'd put room on similar level as a moderate resort. Didn't eat there, so have no info on that.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
MomToPirate&Princess
Mouseketeer

We love SOG. The rooms are huge (bigger than the room Royal Room we stayed in at POR). Standard rooms have 2 queen beds and a couch that flips down to a twin size, which is perfect to keep DS and DD from having to share a bed.

We are typically pretty commando and don't spend a lot of time at the resort so usually aren't there for meals. The pool is a standard pool (no slide), but fine for just swimming. They have a spa but we've never tried it.

As long as you know the bus schedule, it has worked fine for us. We typically walk to the Poly and catch the monorail for MK and EP.

The rate standard room rate maxes out at $131 I believe, which is tough to beat for the size. Pool side is slightly more and suites are up from there, but we have always stayed in a standard r
MomToPirate&Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at Beach Club and Shades of Green. For amenities like the pool and proximity to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, Beach Club is terrific. However, Shades of Green has much larger guest rooms and better bathrooms. The resort is very peaceful, which makes a nice break from the parks. Restaurants are just o.k. We found the bus system less problematic than Disney's. They stick to a schedule, so as long as you plan for it, you won't be wasting a lot of time waiting and wondering when a bus is going to show up. They also don't share buses with other resorts, which makes for quicker trips. It's a wonderful resort, especially if being fully-immersed in Disney is not a priority.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
MegN529
Mouseketeer

There's a big thread actually dedicated to the Shades of Green. We love SOG and will continue to stay there each time we visit Disney. The rooms are very large, the resort is clean and the staff has always been incredibly helpful. Cons: lack of Disney theming and the restaurants are lacking. We typically eat our meals in the parks so this doesn't bother us.

MegN529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
PrincessPatti
Earning My Ears

We stayed at SOG once before and enjoyed it. We're actually staying at SOG for our entire stay this summer. It's very cost friendly. I loved the breakfast buffet they have there. It was cheap and yummy! Like it was mentioned earlier as long as you're aware of the bus schedule then you'll be fine. Again, for the cost you can't beat it. The grounds at SOG are lovely as well.
PrincessPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Dian-er
Mouseketeer

Shades of Green

I have stayed there way back before Bob & I moved to Fl. Our oldest, Matt was in the Coast Guard & we got to stay there under his rank. It is one of the nicest resorts on property. Ther rooms are large, airy, & pretty. It's close to MK without being crowed. We really liked it there. Of course, then Matt left the Coast Guard & we never got to stay again.
Dian-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
WebmasterShaun
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
Oh, and a clear up from the podcast...my brother in law was killed in action in 2002. My sister has a military ID as a widow and always will because, technically speaking, my brother-in-law is forever active duty. She also gets a better discount at Shades of Green because out of respect.
Thank you for the insight on this. I was pretty sure that would be the situation but wasn't positive. I'm really glad to hear this.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
SweetMimi
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if you can use the Star card to pay for attraction tickets? I know it can be used in AAFES onsite but can't recall if it's a ticket option. Thanks!

Spring Break April '08
Thanksgiving November '09
Summer '10
Summer '11/ 20th Anniversary Trip
Spring Break '12
Spring Break '13
SweetMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: