Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Lindymagoo
Earning My Ears

My Target Red Card Experience

I am a newbie, and have benefited from all the great tips and tricks on this board. I chose to avail myself of the Target Red Card to purchase the Disney gift cards to pay off our upcoming trip. A couple of weeks ago, I went to Target to sign up for the Card, making sure I had my checkbook with me, so they could scan a check to link the account. I received my temporary card (a register slip with bar code), and purchased $500 worth of gift cards that night. Whoo-Hoo! So far, so good, right?

My red card (debit) came in the mail a week or so later; and I quickly activated it; I went to Target on Monday night, because my final payment for our trip is due by the 23rd. and I wanted to ensure I had extra time, just in case something went wrong. I checked my account balance with the bank before I left the house, to ensure that there was plenty in the account to cover everything. I went to the store, and picked up $2150 in Disney Gift cards (43 cards, $50 each) and went to check-out while my husband and grandson wandered the store. I got up to the register, feeling all giddy about the money I was about to save, and was informed by the cashier that it had rejected!!! What???????

The cashier suspended the transaction, and gave me a number to call Target Financial to see what the problem was. I got out of line (sheepishly) and called Target. I was told that because I had a brand new account, and not much history with Target that the transaction would be capped at $300. I politely asked if there was any possibility of raising the limit, and was told that I could do the $300 today, and try again tomorrow, but no guarantee that I could purchase anything the next day, let alone another $300 worth. The gentleman told me, that I could ask to see a manager, to see if a manager would be willing to let me use my regular debit card, but give me a 5% discount since the red card was not working properly. I said I would try that.

I got off the phone, and spoke with the young lady at the customer service counter, who initially tried to tell me that the Red Card could not be used on gift cards. She asked another employee, who did not know either. I politely explained that I purchased $500 worth of Disney cards on my previous visit with my brand-new red card (paper slip), and I was indeed given the 5% discount on the gift cards. She then grabbed a calculator, and figured out the discount, and called someone else. She was instructed to go ahead and give me the discount. She was able to bring up the suspended transaction (so we did not have to scan 43 cards all over again!), I swiped my regular bank-issued debit card, she entered a coupon code, and I was on my way!

It was really hard to stay calm, and not go off on the various people I spoke with, but I kept telling myself, this is for Disney, the happiest place on earth, and no need in starting off a wonderful vacation with a negative experience. So I stayed calm, talked nicely and professionally with the people I encountered, and walked out with my gift cards, albeit using a slightly unconventional method to get there!

Moral of the story. If you are thinking of doing the Target Debit Red Card, apply early, use it often. My problem is that I haven't shopped at Target in years, and had no recent check-cashing history with them, so that is why my account was limited on my attempted purchase. Doing $300 a day would have taken me over a week, and I did not have that kind of time so I went all-in and luckily was able to get my discount and the cards, using my debit account. We are now PAID IN FULL! Whoo-HOo!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindymagoo View Post
I am a newbie, and have benefited from all the great tips and tricks on this board. I chose to avail myself of the Target Red Card to purchase the Disney gift cards to pay off our upcoming trip. A couple of weeks ago, I went to Target to sign up for the Card, making sure I had my checkbook with me, so they could scan a check to link the account. I received my temporary card (a register slip with bar code), and purchased $500 worth of gift cards that night. Whoo-Hoo! So far, so good, right?

My red card (debit) came in the mail a week or so later; and I quickly activated it; I went to Target on Monday night, because my final payment for our trip is due by the 23rd. and I wanted to ensure I had extra time, just in case something went wrong. I checked my account balance with the bank before I left the house, to ensure that there was plenty in the account to cover everything. I went to the store, and picked up $2150 in Disney Gift cards (43 cards, $50 each) and went to check-out while my husband and grandson wandered the store. I got up to the register, feeling all giddy about the money I was about to save, and was informed by the cashier that it had rejected!!! What???????

The cashier suspended the transaction, and gave me a number to call Target Financial to see what the problem was. I got out of line (sheepishly) and called Target. I was told that because I had a brand new account, and not much history with Target that the transaction would be capped at $300. I politely asked if there was any possibility of raising the limit, and was told that I could do the $300 today, and try again tomorrow, but no guarantee that I could purchase anything the next day, let alone another $300 worth. The gentleman told me, that I could ask to see a manager, to see if a manager would be willing to let me use my regular debit card, but give me a 5% discount since the red card was not working properly. I said I would try that.

I got off the phone, and spoke with the young lady at the customer service counter, who initially tried to tell me that the Red Card could not be used on gift cards. She asked another employee, who did not know either. I politely explained that I purchased $500 worth of Disney cards on my previous visit with my brand-new red card (paper slip), and I was indeed given the 5% discount on the gift cards. She then grabbed a calculator, and figured out the discount, and called someone else. She was instructed to go ahead and give me the discount. She was able to bring up the suspended transaction (so we did not have to scan 43 cards all over again!), I swiped my regular bank-issued debit card, she entered a coupon code, and I was on my way!

It was really hard to stay calm, and not go off on the various people I spoke with, but I kept telling myself, this is for Disney, the happiest place on earth, and no need in starting off a wonderful vacation with a negative experience. So I stayed calm, talked nicely and professionally with the people I encountered, and walked out with my gift cards, albeit using a slightly unconventional method to get there!

Moral of the story. If you are thinking of doing the Target Debit Red Card, apply early, use it often. My problem is that I haven't shopped at Target in years, and had no recent check-cashing history with them, so that is why my account was limited on my attempted purchase. Doing $300 a day would have taken me over a week, and I did not have that kind of time so I went all-in and luckily was able to get my discount and the cards, using my debit account. We are now PAID IN FULL! Whoo-HOo!
Sorry that you had such a hard time but in a way, it's good to know that Target is so alert to potential fraud. Imagine if someone had opened a Target debit card under your checking account and the proceeded to wipe it out by purchasing gift cards!

Good for you for remaining calm and allowing the store managers to work it out for you. I'm glad there's a happy ending to your story.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
sweetcreams
Mouseketeer

I can see why Target would limit purchases with a new card, but I'm glad that they gave you the discount anyway! Did you know you can register your Red Card on their website, and they'll donate a portion of your purchases to the school of your choice?
sweetcreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Lindymagoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcreams View Post
I can see why Target would limit purchases with a new card, but I'm glad that they gave you the discount anyway! Did you know you can register your Red Card on their website, and they'll donate a portion of your purchases to the school of your choice?
Yes, I could see why they would limit it too, and I was very happy to get the discount.

I did see that Target donated when I registered at the website, I will have to shop there more often! Thank you!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

It does pay to remember sometimes there's reasons for what we as customers see as issues or problems. I also commend you for staying calm. It can be difficult but you probably would not gotten as far as you did if it had turned into a big screaming rant you know?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

You paid off your package with 43 gift cards.What happens if you have to cancel it goes back on 43 gift cards. It seems like a big hastle and a big risk to save a hundred or so dollars. Have you ever considered a Disney Visa. You get 2% cash back and if you have to cancel the money goes back on your Visa which you can use for other purchases. A Disney gift card can only be used at Disney. I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

OP,this makes sense.... when you think about it.... glad it all worked out for you I had a similiar experience, except with me I was using a new cc (bonus points) to buy gift cards,and was rejected at the register, had to go home,call the company,and verify that is was me using my card.... The companies I know of are pretty careful with GC purchases,I guess there's a lot of fraud in that area.....after my phone call I had no problems tho,I learned to call first!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

I don't have a Target card but they sent me a coupon for 5% off to entice me to get one. So if I were to get one, could I combine it with this 5% off coupon?
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

Yes, additional 5% coupon should stack with the card's 5% discount just like the pharmacy rewards coupons stack.
djmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
photos_101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
You paid off your package with 43 gift cards.What happens if you have to cancel it goes back on 43 gift cards. It seems like a big hastle and a big risk to save a hundred or so dollars. Have you ever considered a Disney Visa. You get 2% cash back and if you have to cancel the money goes back on your Visa which you can use for other purchases. A Disney gift card can only be used at Disney. I'm sorry I just don't get it.
Hi, Not the OP here but I wanted to say that I have done this method of buying GC's at Target for Disney vacation for the last 3 trips.
Just this past week I bought $1100 in disney gc's to pay for our upcoming trip in May. First, I use the funds from our 'vacation' account so essentially if the trip gets cancelled it isn't money that we would have needed for bills or etc. So no worries about that. I haven't had to cancel a trip yet (knock on wood lol) so not sure how they refund but I always keep the giftcards used until after the trip.
Second, IF the May trip (DS school competition at Swan) should have to be cancelled we would just reschedule for our August trip (dd was accepted to Disney college program).

I would say that it is only wise to use this method of Target disney GC's if you know you will not need the funds for your daily life. And that you are willing to have those funds tied up for a disney vacation, be it now or in the future. I personally know that I WILL be going a few times this year, and that these funds are exclusively for vacation so therefore I don't have to worry about it being tied up with diney.

Even though $1100 doesn't equal alot of savings by using this method. I think it only equals $55.00 in savings but I had to pay for the trip so figured that is $55 in my pocket instead of disney's and they are already getting enough of my money. Now we all know that they will get that $55 anyways BUT it will be for food or souvies not my initial stay. lol

Just wanted to give a little insight to why someone might choose to go this route. I totally understand how it wouldn't make sense if you were worried about the $$. No way would I do it this way if I thought I might not get to go at all or if I thought I needed the money for something else.
photos_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

We are Canadian and Target will only give us a limit of $700.00 on our US Target card. Target Canada however gave us a $6,500 (could have been higher, but we don't need it). Target has a computerized way of upping the limit and capping transacations, and there is nothing you can do about it. We have tried numerous times, and provided our income which is high, but that is their policy, and they won't budge.

As for the gift cards, I applied a few gift cards to our stay at Boardwalk last week, and the CM informed me that now they don't reimburse gift cards any longer, so if we didn't think we would use the entire amount, we shouldn't put it on. I asked her to check with a supervisor and she came back to inform us that the policy had changed. They used to refund back to the gift cards, but according to her, they aren't doing this anymore.

Just wanted to share that with OP as she has a huge amount of gift cards.

Glad it worked out, OP, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you sure you get 2% back? My Disney visa only gives 1% back and I have to get it in the form of a Disney gift card, unless you have the one that has a yearly fee in which case you aren't really getting 2% if you account for the fee. (the first $7,000 you spend per year is just catching up to even out with 1% and no fee)
Either way, if you use an additional coupon or 5% off register rewards, I just bought gift cards to pay off my vacation at 10% off. (if anybody wants to get picky, yes I know it's really 9.75%) So I paid $2,978 and have $3300 to spend at Disney and I'm not done yet. That is MY $322 dollars now. If you know you are going to spend the money at Disney, it's silly to take the lower % off. If you might just decide to not go of course it's a silly idea.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm glad it worked out for you.

The closest Target to me doesn't have Disney gift cards, otherwise I'd be getting them there too.

Nice savings!

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
sethschroeder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
2% cash back is so great? If you are planning on going why not get 5%? I have yet to ever cancel a trip to anywhere and even if you cancelled wouldn't you be rescheduling at some point?

Now if you didn't care if you ever went to disney then maybe change your mind.

By the way if you check ebay people are selling their gift cards for a .002% loss which means you would still come out okay even with Ebay taking their cut in the end.
1984 Born; 1985 DL; 1989 WDW; 1991 DL; 2013 BWI CL- (Honeymoon); 2014 September 3-14 - BWV - (Celebrating 1st Anniversary); 2014 September 14-15 - UNI RPR
sethschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
We are Canadian and Target will only give us a limit of $700.00 on our US Target card. Target Canada however gave us a $6,500 (could have been higher, but we don't need it). Target has a computerized way of upping the limit and capping transacations, and there is nothing you can do about it. We have tried numerous times, and provided our income which is high, but that is their policy, and they won't budge.

As for the gift cards, I applied a few gift cards to our stay at Boardwalk last week, and the CM informed me that now they don't reimburse gift cards any longer, so if we didn't think we would use the entire amount, we shouldn't put it on. I asked her to check with a supervisor and she came back to inform us that the policy had changed. They used to refund back to the gift cards, but according to her, they aren't doing this anymore.

Just wanted to share that with OP as she has a huge amount of gift cards.

Glad it worked out, OP, Tiger
Did the CM tell you how they would refund the money if needed (if they don't refund to gift cards any longer)? I'm not doubting *you* of course but this would be a huge change! I have paid for most of our cruises using my Target red card and they DCL always remind me to keep the cards as any refunds will go back to the cards.

Thanks,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: