DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyFan612 View Post
I must agree-). I would stick w/ this deal as it does have over two years of maint paid points plus seller paid closing costs! If you value all the free points at $12/ point(which is easily the going rate for private renters) and compensate yourself $500 for the closing costs saved you are looking at having paid $38.85/ point and still have all 2014 points intact!
If you read OP's description of the situation, you'll see that almost half of what you call "free points" aren't even there at all.

That's the crux of the problem and you seem to have overlooked it.

We can structure our rationalizations however we want, but MFs technically don't have anything to do with points -- they are the operating cost of the resort for the calendar year. In OP's case, at least 1/3 of 2013 will likely have passed by the time they close. If they paid one penny for any of that time, they'd be getting ripped off. If the MF's are allocated by when the person has the ability to use the resort, it is not as big a "deal" as it sounds (+/-$500 on an $11,000 transaction).

We can also make whatever assumptions we want to make on value. If I "value" the "free points" at $50 per point, OP is getting the contract for nothing. Hypotheticals are fun that way.

As far as the price, even factoring in the seller paying closing, it's no better than most of what I see on the ROFR thread, and higher than many actual reported sales.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
abner1776
DIS Veteran

This is simply a case of you can't see the forest for the trees.

Forget about the price, banked points, MF's, etc. etc., etc.

THe base problem is you have a seller who hasn't got a clue about how many points they have or they are trying to pull a fast one on you AND you have a broker who has gotten snookered by the seller....in either case, is this a seller you want to be dealing with ??...I certainly would not want to be.

THere are other SSR contracts for sale...time to move on...In my 63 years on this planet, the one overriding thing I have learned is...Things happen for a reason. THere is a reason why this agreement has gone south on you, but you may not find it out for sometime if ever. Accept that it's time to move on and find another contract.

Good luck with your DVC hunt.
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abner1776 View Post

THe base problem is you have a seller who hasn't got a clue about how many points they have or they are trying to pull a fast one on you AND you have a broker who has gotten snookered by the seller....in either case, is this a seller you want to be dealing with ??...I certainly would not want to be.
Well said. This really IS the core of the problem -- these are not people you want to be doing business with, and I include the broker in that.

I know many have had good results with Fidelity, but whenever there is a fiasco like this, you don't even need to ask who the broker is. We all know.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by abner1776 View Post

THere are other SSR contracts for sale...time to move on...In my 63 years on this planet, the one overriding thing I have learned is...Things happen for a reason. THere is a reason why this agreement has gone south on you, but you may not find it out for sometime if ever. Accept that it's time to move on and find another contract.

Good luck with your DVC hunt.

I agree in some part, however with the original listing price this contract may have been listed with Fidelity for some time. It would not be the first time that an owner listed several months ago, the contract didn't sell, and they decided to use or rent some points and then forgot to notify the agent. And so far it was only at the verbal stages - I don't think it was mentioned whether the seller informed or Fidelity found out thru Disney about the point discrepancy but either way it seems to have come up before or at least with the contract sales agreement so I wouldn't run away screaming if I still thought this was a good contract for myself.

I admit I have some sympathy with point confusion after having a contract for sale - that I indicated in the paperwork that I had a reservation under but would cancel if the contract sold - and then got a nasty call from the broker that the points were not as I had indicated.

On the other hand SSR listings seem to be in abundance again so at the very least I'd look around at other contracts and/or look at a little renegotiating.

Last edited by KAT4DISNEY; 03-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionqueen View Post
We recently had an offer accepted on a SSR contract. 160 points, dec UY, 160 banked point (2011), 160 current points (2012), 160 points (2013) Seller pays all MF and closing costs. We settled on $68.75 pp which was more than I wanted to spend but with such a loaded contract we went with it. We thought we'd take the 160 banked points and rent them at David's and put it towards the purchase price. Well we were just told that there are 123 less banked points than was advertised. I'm soooo disappointed. Now I'm not sure I want the contract. Any thoughts?? It's definitely not as good of a deal as i thought. Just had to vent a little!!
Don't let your feelings have anything to do with your decision. Things like this happen, sellers back out after signing contracts, ask for more money after making a verbal agreement, basically with resale anything and everything can happen. Think of this as a new contract and would you want it?

So right now is it 37 banked 2011 points, 160 2012 points and 160 2013 points for $68.75 with seller paying closing and MF?

If so, you are still getting 357 points that you are not paying MF on, how much is that worth to you? You could always ask for a reduction in price and see what the seller says. Then compare that to what is out there now and decide if you still want it.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Looks like they have corrected the points on that contract

There are a couple of other contracts there that look comparable.

Last edited by DougEMG; 03-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.
DougEMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
AddieAidey
Earning My Ears

I would find a new contract...there are soooo many right now. I purchased the same exact configuration from another broker and we paid $66 per point but we are paying closing an MF's for this year....but we are still in ROFR. I got bummed because a contract I just had to have didn't work out, then this one came along.

I think you either renegotiate or move on...check the other brokers too Best of luck to you!
Aulani Nov 2013
GCV Sep 2014
Aulani Feb 2015
Disney Wonder Oct 2015
AddieAidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
lionqueen
Mouseketeer

Update

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advise. I renegotiated and said I wanted $1500 (a little more than $11 a point for the discrepancy) off of the purchase price with all other terms the same to continue with the sale. The sellers agreed so we are moving forward. It works out to be about $60 pp. So now we're off to ROFR. Thanks again everyone.
lionqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advise. I renegotiated and said I wanted $1500 (a little more than $11 a point for the discrepancy) off of the purchase price with all other terms the same to continue with the sale. The sellers agreed so we are moving forward. It works out to be about $60 pp. So now we're off to ROFR. Thanks again everyone.
Good negotiating and good luck. Hope after all this, you get through ROFR quickly!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hope you make it through ROFR- GL- I'm currently trying to pass a SSR for $61/ point w/ no 2011 points! Seller pays closing and 2013 maint fees-). I paid $3/ point more than I had originally negotiated because I've lost two SSR contracts recently- hope I pass this time as I will need no more points!

Last edited by MickeyFan612; 03-24-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Best of luck with ROFR and I think you are getting a good deal with this contract. Hope everything else goes smoothly.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Don't let your feelings have anything to do with your decision. Things like this happen, sellers back out after signing contracts, ask for more money after making a verbal agreement, basically with resale anything and everything can happen. Think of this as a new contract and would you want it?

So right now is it 37 banked 2011 points, 160 2012 points and 160 2013 points for $68.75 with seller paying closing and MF?

If so, you are still getting 357 points that you are not paying MF on, how much is that worth to you? You could always ask for a reduction in price and see what the seller says. Then compare that to what is out there now and decide if you still want it.
Good advice Doug,i totally agree.Lionqueen good luck on whatever you decide.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
elfbo
DIS Veteran

Grats on being able to renegotiate!

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #29
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hope you make it through ROFR- GL- I'm currently trying to pass a SSR for $61/ point w/ no 2011 points! Seller pays closing and 2013 maint fees-). I paid $3/ point more than I had originally negotiated because I've lost two SSR contracts recently- hope I pass this time as I will need no more points!
So Bummed- Found out this morning that even w/ my increased offer Disney still bought it back.
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

Aw, I'm sorry!

Quote:
So Bummed- Found out this morning that even w/ my increased offer Disney still bought it back.
I'm so sorry! When did you go to ROFR on the renegotiated contract?
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: