Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #121
Rokwynd
Earning My Ears

I'm heading to the parks in October, and I love the concept of the Magicbands. I almost wish they weren't bracelets but that is what belt loops are for. I hope they are ready to go when I head down, and I look forward to any info that comes out about the tests.

1996 CBR
2000 Poly
2013 Pop Century
(In the Future) Fort Wilderness Cabins
Rokwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #122
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
They are still guests at a Disney resort, renting points or not.
correct
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #123
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
This is pretty cool I think. Like a PP said, we get a souviner before we leave? Take my money!

I'm thinking that this could go a step further for those of us staying on-site. We have the bands, which is now your KTTW in our possession before we leave the house so we could, in theory, get an email or a text the day of our trip that says "Room 123 in building X is ready for you" and bypass the check-in counter altogether. You get off the bus or out of your car and head straight to your room, drop off your stuff and start your trip!
I haven't read other responses, but this is exactly what they will be doing.
mvazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #124
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Absolutely no way will anyone in our family wear these bands. Can't wait to see what other options they bring out since we are AP holders.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #125
fbb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by >Ash< View Post

imagine if your sat waiting for the parade and on the castle flashed up the words "Tom from Ohio is here celerbrating his 40th birthday" things like that
I think you're on the right path, but this, in particular, would suck.
fbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #126
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

I thought about something else that will be nice about MagicBands for those of us with small children.

At the end of the day we get back to the resort and my kids are worn out. They don't want to walk or are asleep. We may also have bags of stuff with us. It might be raining. So we're potentially carrying two small children and bags of stuff through the rain and we get to the door and now we have to dig out a KTTW from our pocket, lanyard, etc to be able to open the door.

No longer an issue. Simply put our wrist near the door, grab the handle and boom! We're in the room.

Definitely lots of potential for cool stuff here.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #127
honkytonkmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyJ517 View Post
eta: I'd love to see something that say, sets of an alarm at security if a child band walks out of the park with another band not in their party. And I have to wonder if this could help locate a missing child - just some thoughts from a nervous mom
Yes please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
As the only female in our group, I was always the "keeper" of everything - so happy I won't have to do that anymore!
Yeah I end up being the pack mule as well.

I am hopeful we will get these for our aug trip. I dont love the idea of having these in all our photos, but the upsides sound amazing.
Aug 2015 - off site???
honkytonkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #128
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Absolutely no way will anyone in our family wear these bands. Can't wait to see what other options they bring out since we are AP holders.
From what I understand, you still have the option of using the RFID cards. I have issues wearing things on my wrist and this is what I plan to do.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #129
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytonkmama View Post

I am hopeful we will get these for our aug trip. I dont love the idea of having these in all our photos, but the upsides sound amazing.
I would much rather a wristband than a lanyard. When we did our family Christmas pictures last year each time we had to stop and have everyone take off their lanyards for the pictures. My wife didn't want them in the pictures at all. She's excited about the wristbands so I don't think she'll mind those.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #130
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

For those planning on not wearing them on your wrists, please don't hold up the line by searching for them right before entering the park. Move to the side, find your wristbands, then head for the line. Hopefully if most people wear them, there won't be a line to begin with.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #131
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
The technology exists to do all sorts of interesting things like these. Whether Disney's IT folks are up to the task is what more than a few of us are skeptical about.
After our trip in Feb, I am very skeptical. First off DH's card didnt charge so they had to "rebook" the entire package. After that, everyone could charge but only his key worked on the resort rooms. After spending nearly an hour to get that worked out, we didnt want to waste any more vacation time.

With the rebooking, They accidentally gave us an extra days worth of DDP which we didn't use but it made things confusing. Furthermore, Disney couldn't load our entire party DDP on the same KTTW cards. We had two rooms because we are a family of 5 plus baby. Told that it COULDN'T be done so every time we went to eat, we had to pull out two different KTTW cards and tell them, 1 adult 3 kids on this one and 1 adult on this card. It got completely messed up. Of course, a CM at Flametree BbQ overcharged one QS credit. Took several minutes to get manager to correct problem. Then we realized the $ amount was credited instead of actual QS credit. About a day left in our trip, Disney must have realized that they gave us an extra day of DDP entitlements and took hem away. It was a complete fiasco.

Won't be getting DDP gain and not looking forward to magic bands.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #132
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Your option is to opt for the cards they are rolling out right now. It might mean you will have a somewhat more limited experience, however, since the cards will lack the transmitter.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #133
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Can some of your party have bands n others cards? Can you switch to a card if u hate the band?
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #134
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
For those planning on not wearing them on your wrists, please don't hold up the line by searching for them right before entering the park. Move to the side, find your wristbands, then head for the line. Hopefully if most people wear them, there won't be a line to begin with.
Yes please. The same goes for those who have paper tickets, RFID or not.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #135
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPooh View Post
Can some of your party have bands n others cards? Can you switch to a card if u hate the band?
It's really too early to tell, but I would think so. However, the cards won't be able to do absolutely everything the bands do. Most things, yes, but anything that requires the transmitter won't be available. We don't know what those would be yet.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: