Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #211
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
I just got back on Saturday night. My 10yr old did the finger scan, my 7yr old did not.
That's the way it used to be. Anyone using an "adult" ticket (i.e. 10 and over) does the scan, although there were exceptions, like YES tickets never did them (although I think they do now, or will).
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #212
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Are you sure these scanners are any different than the current ones? They looked like they just put the old ones in the new stands.

I HAVE heard that kids were now doing finger scans, but I'm not sure it's been consistently used either.
Yes, I'm sure. After the 2nd or 3rd time I worked the new entries I just had a feeling that they had a higher resolution than the legacy units as it was reading younger children's biometrics better. I've seen it read really small, skinny fingers which the older ones would not. Been doing turnstiles about 4 years so have a fairly good feel for what would usually work and what would not in the legacy turnstile.

Was having a long conversation with one of our managers about the "goods & bads" of the new entries and asked him about this. Seems I was the first to bring this up with him or other leaders but he did confirm that it is a "higher resolution" scanner and wondered how long it would take us to actually recognize it and ask.

Probably has a very technical name if we were to talk with the design engineer but for our purposes, higher resolution is what we call it.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #213
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
Yes, I'm sure. After the 2nd or 3rd time I worked the new entries I just had a feeling that they had a higher resolution than the legacy units as it was reading younger children's biometrics better. I've seen it read really small, skinny fingers which the older ones would not. Been doing turnstiles about 4 years so have a fairly good feel for what would usually work and what would not in the legacy turnstile.

Was having a long conversation with one of our managers about the "goods & bads" of the new entries and asked him about this. Seems I was the first to bring this up with him or other leaders but he did confirm that it is a "higher resolution" scanner and wondered how long it would take us to actually recognize it and ask.

Probably has a very technical name if we were to talk with the design engineer but for our purposes, higher resolution is what we call it.
No, higher resolution would in general be right, although it isn't just DPI but in differentiation in the bits-per-pixel too. These are optical sensors though (as opposed to capacitance scanners, like found on laptops). But I can see this being a problem with children's No Expiration tickets, as they grow older the metrics can change a bit. So even though it can do it short term, longer term can still be an issue.

Seems that 10 is still the cutoff though, right?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #214
RescueRanger
If you put $200 under your pillow at night, you will get a tag
I have no hots for Robinrs because I don't want the Mummy curse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post

Not a fingerprint, biometric reading. Actually, kids (depending on age obviously) do biometrics with the new touch-point entries. The new touch-point biometric scanners will read down to about 5 or 6 year old fingers a lot of the time where the legacy turnstile readers were only good down to about 10 years old depending on the finger size.
Actually, a fingerprint is a biometric reading. When your fingerprint is scanned, it takes measurements between characteristics on your friction ridge lines. These are then assigned a numerical value. It does not work as easy as the CSI shows would have you believe.

Me DW DD(18) DD(15) DSiL

RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #215
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
Actually, a fingerprint is a biometric reading. When your fingerprint is scanned, it takes measurements between characteristics on your friction ridge lines. These are then assigned a numerical value. It does not work as easy as the CSI shows would have you believe.
I think this is a matter of semantics on what a "fingerprint" is. It is not taking an image of your entire fingerprint and storing it, and then comparing future scans against that fingerprint, which is what most people envision.

What these are doing is as you say, although it is of a relatively small area of a person's actual fingerprint (where the most differentiation is seen), picks a handful of points, and computes a numerical value. For this purpose, it boils it down to a 4 digit number. This works a LOT faster than attempting a more accurate but far more complex scan, which would take a lot longer and require storing a LOT more data.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #216
bandmhmommy
Earning My Ears

Where do we go to get the RFID AP? My family is going in May and we are buying new AP's then (DD is old enough for a ticket now )... Will we get the RFID one when we turn in our certificates at guest services? Or AP first from guest services then switch to RFID? Thanks for the help!
bandmhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #217
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmhmommy View Post
Where do we go to get the RFID AP? My family is going in May and we are buying new AP's then (DD is old enough for a ticket now )... Will we get the RFID one when we turn in our certificates at guest services? Or AP first from guest services then switch to RFID? Thanks for the help!
If you are getting new ones, you will get RFID when you pick them up. Maybe even MagicBands

Only those who already have old APs in hand need to go to Epcot to get them converted, if they choose (for now).

Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #218
bandmhmommy
Earning My Ears

Awesome! Thanks!

Fingers crossed we get Magicbands... that would be cool!
bandmhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #219
aaylasecura
Mouseketeer

Sorry, I'm not really interested in surfing through all of the posts for my answer.

I'll be there May 7-11. What are the chances we'll have magicbands?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #220
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaylasecura View Post
Sorry, I'm not really interested in surfing through all of the posts for my answer.

I'll be there May 7-11. What are the chances we'll have magicbands?
Shouldn't a Jedi know this?

Odds right now are really low. Until we start seeing them in testing, it's zero. And then, it depends if you are among the test candidates.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #221
Superspectral
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
WOW!

The delivery of the Magic Bands is really going to be "Disney quality"!

How impressive!

http://staree.com/attractions/136387833673016735
Yuch.
Superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #222
DarkwingDad
DIS Explorer

My kids just asked me if we will be able to pick our RFID bands colors for our trip in October.......anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
CSR~2009
CSR~2012
Poly~2013

“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”~Walt Disney
DarkwingDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #223
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingDad View Post
My kids just asked me if we will be able to pick our RFID bands colors for our trip in October.......anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
You WILL, as far as we know, get to pick your colors. You can pay extra for "designer" versions as well.

We don't know when. Even that far out. I'm sure Disney would like to have it fully rolled out long before then, but things just aren't moving well, if at all.

Let me repeat: WE DON'T KNOW WHEN.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #224
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

You WILL, as far as we know, get to pick your colors. You can pay extra for "designer" versions as well.

We don't know when. Even that far out. I'm sure Disney would like to have it fully rolled out long before then, but things just aren't moving well, if at all.

Let me repeat: WE DON'T KNOW WHEN.
Commendable, but useless.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #225
livibug
Mouseketeer

we should start an over / under thread for magic bands, fp plus and how bad of a cluster f#&k the whole thing is going to be when it does roll out.. cant wait to schedule a fp+ for the carousel of progress

My over and under for fp+ being available to more than 40% of guests is August 1

Dolphin, CBR, ASM, POP
livibug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: