Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #181
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
Will they be sent over to international visitors? Or will it be the same as with the documentation and we'll get them at check in?
A while back someone stated that they wouldn't be shipped internationally, but I don't remember if his comment was made by the person who was discredited.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #182
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

Yeah, but it's going to be harder to tap your wristband to a turnstile or fastpass kiosk if it's attached to your waist.

I'd really just prefer to have a card in my lanyard. Thankfully it sounds like I can do just that.

I'm not sure what's involved in programming a "blank" wristband to your account, but I'd be surprised if they train every gift shop CM to do this. Since programming it would attach it to your tickets and charge card on file, I think they'll treat this with care. I'm guessing it would require a trip to guest services.
I think that you are making more of it than there is. They plan on making some bucks selling upgrade bands. This suggests that many gift shop CMs will be swapping them out. I imagine that the entire process will go as follows:

1. Pull up guests profile.
2. Click 'assign band' (or similar)
3. Swipe new band.
4. Click 'OK'.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #183
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I think that you are making more of it than there is. They plan on making some bucks selling upgrade bands. This suggests that many gift shop CMs will be swapping them out. I imagine that the entire process will go as follows:

1. Pull up guests profile.
2. Click 'assign band' (or similar)
3. Swipe new band.
4. Click 'OK'.
That would be my guess too. I just don't see there being a real problem with this.

I know change is scary. I remember being very suspicious and skeptical and concerned when FP was first introduced many moons ago and now I can't imagine touring without it!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #184
cktrotter
Earning My Ears

Talking

*GASP* Disney just made it easy on how to surprise our kids with our secret trip! I cannot wait to see their faces when they open this box!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #185
rammh
Mouseketeer

My concern is that we have a package booked with 2 day tix, but will add days upon arrival because I have an AP and I dont want to buy a 7 day tix. So will we only be allowed 2 days of FP+ and how do I keep my 2 day tix to use later? I am so worried I am going to be screwed out of that 2 day ticket and/or not be able to use FP+ with the rest of my group.
rammh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #186
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

So much to read through here so I gave up and shall just ask my question, how will customizing these work? I am in the UK so I am guessing we will get ours on arrival (I don't see them shipping them all the way over here), would we ask to have them customized at check in or would we request it in advance? (I am hoping this won't be through the My Disney Experience website or app as neither of these work for me and I have been trying with them since December!!) I really don't mind the bands, I would prefer to have a card but I certainly don't mind giving them a try, I would like to have ours customized though as the grey one looks a bit 'meh'.

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #187
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Actually, I'm not convinced yet that Disney is shipping these directly to guests. I've talked to some of the people who posted articles after seeing the display and said in the articles that they would be shipped in those boxes - but they weren't given any info from Disney that said that was the case. To me, that display looks like the type of demo merchandise boxes that get sent to stores and then convert into a display. I could be wrong on that though. I could see them potentially sending MagicBands to people who purchase MYW tickets directly (and probably for an upcharge), but resort guests and AP holders would likely receive them on arrival much like the way it happens today.
I just called DVC to see if the bands were being shipped and they said they were only issuing them directly at the resorts that are using them right now. What I don't get is if you currently exchange your AP for a Magic-band, does it only carry your parks right now and not your resort or charging privileges?

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #188
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammh View Post
My concern is that we have a package booked with 2 day tix, but will add days upon arrival because I have an AP and I dont want to buy a 7 day tix. So will we only be allowed 2 days of FP+ and how do I keep my 2 day tix to use later? I am so worried I am going to be screwed out of that 2 day ticket and/or not be able to use FP+ with the rest of my group.
My understanding from very early reports is that your profile would show valid tickets and that you would identify which of those tickets would be active.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #189
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblackstars View Post
So much to read through here so I gave up and shall just ask my question, how will customizing these work? I am in the UK so I am guessing we will get ours on arrival (I don't see them shipping them all the way over here), would we ask to have them customized at check in or would we request it in advance?
My bet is that upgrade bands will be available for purchase in just about every single gift shop and that the local CMs will be able to assign them to your profile super quickly.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #190
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
My bet is that upgrade bands will be available for purchase in just about every single gift shop and that the local CMs will be able to assign them to your profile super quickly.
I agree
Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #191
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post

I just called DVC to see if the bands were being shipped and they said they were only issuing them directly at the resorts that are using them right now. What I don't get is if you currently exchange your AP for a Magic-band, does it only carry your parks right now and not your resort or charging privileges?
I think that your reached a CM who didn't have a clue, since magic bands aren't in use, at this time. You can't currently exchange your card for a band and no resort is giving them to anyone. One of the most irritating facts of life is that some people give an answer regardless of whether they know the answer.

Last edited by dadddio; 03-24-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #192
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are rumors that companies like Dooney & Burke and Swarovski will produce upscale vanity bands that guests can buy as well....I'm holding out for a blinged out Tink.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #193
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
I think that your reached a CM who didn't have a clue, since magic bands aren't in use, at this time. You can't currently exchange your card for a band and no resort is giving them to anyone. One of the most irritating facts of life is that some people give an answer regardless of whether they know the answer.
I thought that could be the case since the CM didn't sound completely convincing. Plus I mistook what I read at that laughingplace link earlier in this thread. I thought they said you could go to Odyssey to trade AP for Magicband, when actually it was for an RFID card.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #194
sachilles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'll admit hat I know very little about the technology. I do, however, know that passive RFID hips don't use batteries. I also know that my passive RFID security card for work has been working just fine for several years.

When the seagulls start ignoring you and Cinderella doesn't remember your name, I suppose.

In that scenario, you would merely release your current FPs and schedule new ones.

In that scenario you would merely link your profiles so one prison can schedule everyone's FPs.

As mentioned up thread, the passive chips are not self powered(by battery etc). They receive their power from the device trying to read it. It's not particularly new technology. It's been used is libraries since as early as the 90's or before. The passive rfid units can sit in a book for quite a while without failing.
It doesn't mean they can't fail, or get damaged, but overall it's a pretty stable technology that has been used in a lot of industries.

Many folks have a tough time with the concept of the device just being a piece of media that is an identifier. While it tends to irritate the conspiracy theory type of folks.....think of it being your social security card for disney. It'll be your unique identifier linked to all the things that you have bought or reserved.

The only thing that I can see being an issue is gift cards. The technology is no more difficult to overcome than the other things the magicband uses, it's more the legal issues. Gift cards usually fall under states lost property laws, which can be a complicated mess. Therefore making a few legal hoops to jump through.
The way around it can be as simple as presenting a gift card at check in to be loaded on your folio, for use with the magic band system. Then on check out, any remaining positive value on your folio can be issued to a new gift card.
The system has a lot of potential, but it will take a while to reach it's full strength.
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #195
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Hello. Sorry to be dumbo the elephant. We are going to SSR ( DVC ) members with PAP on 5th May. Going to try to convert paper PAP to new RFID plastic card in EPCOT as I heard you can do this. Then use the touch and go to get in and out of parks. But I am still confused on the following...

Do you still have to give a fingerprint? If not why not? Do they store a photo for ID instead or something? ( in other words what stops others using my new PAP )

Can this be my key to the world at my DVC resort as well?

Finally lol... I am disabled is there a wide gap does anyone know between the machines?

Tia!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: