Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #76
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

I have never used EMH. We can't get up early enough for AM EMH and with little kids, we have no interest in late night EMH. But staying on property is TOTALLY worth the $$$.

First of all, the off-site hotels I'd want to stay at aren't really that much cheaper than WDW. I actually booked the Doubletree in DTD with a Mousesavers deal for May and it definitely was lower cost, I think about $850 including tax compared to the $1500 for AoA. However, if I did Doubletree, the shuttle isn't NEARLY as good as WDW shuttles. I'd have to rent a car (at least $300 for the week for a car big enough to fit my family) and I'd have to worry about carseats, I'd have to pay for parking at WDW ($14 x 6), I'd lose out on the Magical Express luggage service and I'd have to haul my 3 kids and all the luggage to pick up the rental car. Not to mention, after a long day at the park, I'd have to remember where I parked that rental car and sit in a HOT rental car with the kids. I'd eat on-site just as much because, lets face it, I'm usually in the parks at meal times. And really, the food at WDW isn't THAT much more expensive than regular restaurants. I don't really eat at cheap restaurants at home. And that's just practical stuff. I like the Disney bubble, the Disney customer service. I like that the hotels are themed and not generic hotels. Oh, and that Doubletree? It may be cheaper, but the rooms only have one bathroom. There isn't a real door between the bedroom and the sofa. And I have to pay an extra $10 a day for a bed for my toddler. Once you add that all together, the cost difference narrows quite a bit and suddenly staying on-site isn't THAT much of a premium.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #77
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalynx View Post
It's all wham!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168 View Post
Scratchy scratchy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberpi View Post
Yummy, yummy,yummy!

I torture my poor dh with her, but I have to hear her say that and "pretzels und beer!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadyrose View Post
Pretzels und beer is our favorite...have to have one in Germany every trip!

We really miss the triple whammy though! ;p It's a shame they had to cut it for new fantasyland clips...

It doesn't feel like Disney until you fall asleep exhausted to Stacy reruns! LOL!
I wonder if Stacey realizes what an "icon" she has become!

It just wouldn't seem right to do a WDW trip without good,old Channel 18 playing on Resort TV all week!
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #78
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoPrincesses View Post
I have never used EMH. We can't get up early enough for AM EMH and with little kids, we have no interest in late night EMH. But staying on property is TOTALLY worth the $$$.

First of all, the off-site hotels I'd want to stay at aren't really that much cheaper than WDW. I actually booked the Doubletree in DTD with a Mousesavers deal for May and it definitely was lower cost, I think about $850 including tax compared to the $1500 for AoA. However, if I did Doubletree, the shuttle isn't NEARLY as good as WDW shuttles. I'd have to rent a car (at least $300 for the week for a car big enough to fit my family) and I'd have to worry about carseats, I'd have to pay for parking at WDW ($14 x 6), I'd lose out on the Magical Express luggage service and I'd have to haul my 3 kids and all the luggage to pick up the rental car. Not to mention, after a long day at the park, I'd have to remember where I parked that rental car and sit in a HOT rental car with the kids. I'd eat on-site just as much because, lets face it, I'm usually in the parks at meal times. And really, the food at WDW isn't THAT much more expensive than regular restaurants. I don't really eat at cheap restaurants at home. And that's just practical stuff. I like the Disney bubble, the Disney customer service. I like that the hotels are themed and not generic hotels. Oh, and that Doubletree? It may be cheaper, but the rooms only have one bathroom. There isn't a real door between the bedroom and the sofa. And I have to pay an extra $10 a day for a bed for my toddler. Once you add that all together, the cost difference narrows quite a bit and suddenly staying on-site isn't THAT much of a premium.
Interesting cost comparison. I've been to AoA and have seen some of the pool and playground areas -- they're so cute and colorful. I think that you made the right choice for your vacation even if did spend a few extra bucks. There are a lot of intangibles that you can't put a price tag on when you stay on site at a Disney hotel.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #79
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW
I can't believe no one has mentioned the MOST amazing perk of staying on property:

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a perk!
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #80
DVC Mary
I must have missed the lobster

As a DVC member who's a teacher & can only travel usually in the summer, these types of cutbacks make me furious. When we bought in at Disney the summer months were much longer. When they shortened them but added the EMH I was find w/ that, but they keep decreasing them. It's hot & for my fair skinned family downright dangerous. We sweat off the sunscreen: sweatproof sunscreen doesn't work. We rely on the late night EMH. We take a nap in the afternoon to get out of the sun.

I'm especially angry b/c I specifically bought place tickets a couple weeks ago to fly out on Fri afternoon, so we could get in the Late EMH at MK. My eldest son is ticked off. I could be saving a night of DVC points.

I love DVC, but I can honestly say to friends the perks of staying on property are declining.

Early EMH isn't all that great. It's really hard to make it to rope drop if relying on WDW transportation. Especially if you're trying to make it to MK & you're staying at AKL or the Boardwalk resorts.

Disney you've let me down!
WL'99, OKW '00, BWV/AKL '01, AKL '02, BCV '03, VWL '04 & DCL '04, SSR/AKL CL '05, VWL & DCL '06, BWV '07, Queen Nana's 1st trip 80th B-Day GF CL/BWV '08, BWV/ VWL '08 , BCV DCL AKLV '09, BCV '09, Poly CL / AKV 2010, Alaska DCL 2011, AKV CL, BCV, Canada Magic & Fantasy DCL '12,VWL'13,BWV/AKL CL X-mas'13,Univ/VWL Summer '14, DCL AK ?? '15
DVC Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #81
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea

I have to respectfully disagree their is now no real slow time for Disney, the parks are full as are the resorts, DIsney has been telling us for a while now that they are going to be doing away with the free DDP and as much as I will be gutted I truelly believe its going to happen!

In the UK they have already opened up the next years prices and nothing has been mentioned about any discounts when it comes to the DDP, this yr we only got free QS at mod deluxe resorts so they have already lowered the plan from DDP to QS! only a matter of time before they don't offer it at all!
And free dining is the reason for fewer slow weeks. If Disney lost their minds and ended free dining this year, within a year or two those busier weeks will become empty weeks again. And there are still a few slow weeks - Labor Day week we can walk on to most headliners in the middle of the day. Disney isn't going to get rid of free dining during the height of hurricane season - just isn't going to happen.

As for UK offers, those don't ever dictate US offers, promos or discounts.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #82
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
For traveling by myself with my 3 children, the additional ease of WDW transportation is worth a bit extra. We own DVC, so most of our trips are on Disney property even if we're not in Disney's parks, which with the increasing ticket prices, might happen more often. Especially given that there's not much "new" to see & Universal is expanding WWOHP & my kids & dh are big HP fans...
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #83
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

This discussion is better suited for the Resorts board, so I've moved it here.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #84
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Not to question a mod, but it seems like a pretty good thread that was getting a lot of response where it could be seen; I don't think Resorts gets near as much traffic...

Back to the topic at hand - I haven't stayed off property but I'm certainly considering it. I've been renting a car for years while staying on site because the bus system is a waste of time; at this point my lodging dollars will be better spent off site.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #85
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

When did they announce they were taking away the EMH and when will it go into effect?

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #86
Mama Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstylr View Post
w h a t - $66/night for a one bedroom villa?? Where is this magical place???????
We got a 2 bedroom condo at Windsor Hills for our upcoming trip for $70/night. Even with parking it's still a HUGE discount.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #87
ARAITHEL
Always counting the days till my next WDW trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvenientTruth View Post
This has been probably been said, but....

When the family and I do Disney, we want to DO Disney....I want to be completely immersed in the world. When I pass through that arch I know I am not leaving until I am headed home. It is escapism at its best...for me Disney is not in Florida or even in the USA, but some magical place where princesses live, Mice talk, where I can visit the the world of tomorrow and the frontier in the same day, where waffles are shaped like Mickey, buses and boats take you to a Zoo, a Studio, Castle, and a chance to visit multiple countries around the world. I want nothing to take that escape away....
INSERT LIKE BUTTON HERE! AMEN.

After an incredibly stressful spring (I haven't had a total day off since January 2nd), I will be glad to get back to the magic, even if it's only for 4 days...WDW is a place of magic, and it is worth the extra just to hold on to it for a few extra hours...while I sleep!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #88
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

We recently stayed off site this past January for the first time and it was no big deal because the parks aren't opened that late then. But normally we go in June and I love being able to stay in the parks late on a beautiful hot summer night with my family. Plus, where else you gonna get a hotel room off property where a giraffe walks up to greet you as you walk out on your balcony to have your morning coffee??

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #89
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

THIS is reason I'm an "onsite" supporter...

Accident...1 1/2 hours from Epcot to Kississimmi...
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #90
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411

And free dining is the reason for fewer slow weeks. If Disney lost their minds and ended free dining this year, within a year or two those busier weeks will become empty weeks again. And there are still a few slow weeks - Labor Day week we can walk on to most headliners in the middle of the day. Disney isn't going to get rid of free dining during the height of hurricane season - just isn't going to happen.

As for UK offers, those don't ever dictate US offers, promos or discounts.
I never said the UK offers did???? I just commented on what WAS & HAS been happening with our discounts, I guess we will see then what will happen!

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: