Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

I like just the simple perk of knowing everything is paid for in advance, my food, room, park tickets, parking. I like not having to worry about hidden fees and taxes like happens most of the time when checking in to a property offsite.

EMH are okay but how many of us really stayed the full 3 hours after the park closed? That's probably on of the many reasons they were cut back to 2.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I disagree for now at least. We'll see what evolves in the coming months and years.
I totally agree, I definitely believe something big will come for those that say at Disney resorts.

To the OP: why do you feel that way?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie

I totally agree, I definitely believe something big will come for those that say at Disney resorts.
I'm betting its tied to FP+

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #34
alhurricane
DisDads #733

Everybody is different, which always makes it interesting to read the boards.

We decided to rent a 3 bedroom condo for our first stay which is just south of Disney. We have two small kids and proper sleep and rest is the biggest priority for us. I could not guarantee that if we were all in one tiny motel size room. Plus I was able to book an extra day and still come out cheaper versus staying onsite.

I will report back how our experience was after we go, but I still think we will 'feel the magic', especially when properly rested!
alhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #35
Dan Murphy
We are family.

When I enter the WDW arch on my first day, I am in that Disney vacation atmosphere until I go under that arch again 7, 8 or so days later. It is a marvelous cocoon they have created for their guests.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #36
momofkids
Mouseketeer

I have been to Disney many times. As a child, my family always stayed off-site. My husband and I made 2 visits before kids and stayed off-site. With the great deals of 2010, the whole family and my DBIL & DS all stayed together on-site. WOW. We had no idea what we were missing. I had to twist my DH's arm to take the kids in 2010. Now, he can't wait to go on our next Disney trip as long as we stay on-site. The difference in hotel staff is amazing. The immersion in Disney totally makes the trip. Plus, we live in a rural area where we have to drive to everything. It is a definite perk to have someone else to the driving for us. I even have a hard time contemplating trips anywhere else but Disney now. You just can't get that experience at outside hotels. On-site costs more because it is worth more. There are a lot of "invisible" perks to staying on property. It isn't just the overt ones like EMH and booking ADRs at the 180+10.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I respectfully disagree. There are still plenty of perks for staying on site: Magical Express, EMH, easy (free!) bus/monorail/boat transportation to and from the parks, free package delivery to the resort when you purchase items at gift shops, free parking at the parks ... the list goes on and on. Because of Magical Express and the transportation system at WDW, there's no need to rent a car - that's a huge perk for me!

I stayed off-site once and I found it to be a big pain. Sure, you can probably get a bigger room for less money, but I like to be immersed in the whole WDW experience, and love staying on-site. There's nothing like the "Disney bubble!"

Last edited by ZoZo; 03-20-2013 at 06:39 PM.
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
mossy1
Been there but always willing to learn from others-;)

Smile

I have stayed both ways and for me I love offsite more due to the fact I am completely in control. Having the car gives me complete freedom from bus schedules and makes park hoping or dinning at whatever restaurant I choose very easy. Plus if you like to shop there are sooo many great designer outlet malls close by WDW it is insane!! Beside 95% of my awake time in WDW I am on the go. So the room is not so important. We stay at nice offsite hotels or condos and I like having room to spread out if needed. There is no correct answer to is onsite better/worse because everyone likes what they like and that is fine.

mossy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #39
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
When I enter the WDW arch on my first day, I am in that Disney vacation atmosphere until I go under that arch again 7, 8 or so days later. It is a marvelous cocoon they have created for their guests.
Well said.

The Resorts are "part" OF Disney World to me,just like the Parks.
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
amberpi
DIS Veteran

We stay onsite or at the Swolphin due to convenience once we get there, but we don't take advantage of all the perks.

ME is a no go, my DH did it ONCE and was FAR too impatient for it. He was mad by the time we boarded the bus "because we could have been there already" if we had a car service get us. But the ablity to walk to Epcot or the MK (our faves are the Swan and CR) for us is priceless. We don't do DDP either as it doesn't suit how we eat. We love the late EMH, but if they go, we will still continue to stay onsite or onsiteish in the case of the Swolphin because our trip is so much easier that way. We travel a lot for both business and pleasure and WDW is our easiest trip, short flight, cab to the hotel and then WDW transport or cabs depending on where we are going and we just don't have to worry about anything. That fact alone will still drive a lot of people onsite. And some people love the WDW "magic" again, for us, those aren't factors, but the ease of use being on property is very significant.

We stayed at Epcot or monorail resorts the entire time I grew up for our annual WDW trip, so that may influence me
amberpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #41
A Belle Among Beasts
Earning My Ears

For us, and this being our first trip, on-site won out almost exclusively due to cost. Anything with semi-decent reviews was not that much cheaper than a value resort with the spring special. Once you add in $10-15/day for "resort" fees (um, Motel 6, you are not a resort! ) and then $14/day to park, you're down in the range of sketchy motels. Of course, I didn't look as hard as I could have once I realized a value resort was well within our budget. I wanted the full experience! Plus, at Disney, I feel confident that the rooms will be at least reasonably clean and there won't be pimps or drug dealers in the parking lot. We aren't staying over a Friday, so losing that EMH doesn't affect *us anyway. I can see how it would be frustrating to lose EMH you'd planned on, though.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
We would never even consider staying off-site! It wouldn't feel like a real Disney Vacation to us. There are the obvious perks like Magical Express, dining plan, EMH, free transportation, etc. But even if all those went away, we still want to be in the middle of the Magic.

The total immersion and isolation from the "real world" is the best part of going to Disney If we had to leave it every night, it just wouldn't be the same. In fact, it wouldn't feel like it was worth it at all. I'd rather spend more, or stay less, and have a vacation that truly feels Magical.
100% agree.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #43
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Out of 47 trips - roughly half onsite and half offsite. 48 is over F&W for 3 weeks and is offsite in some fantastic condos.

There are pros and cons to each. It's all personal preference.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie
One more from me...

Disney costumer service..
DH and I have stayed in many non-disney hotels and every time we do. We are disappointed..
I don't know what we are expecting, since we know its NOT disney.. But we are just spoiled I guess..
We never wear costumes on our trips, so it's not a big deal for us.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I think there are an awful lot of people wondering if there will be less reason to stay onsite in the near future. But as of today, there are still enough benefits to warrant staying onsite.

They have said they are cutting back on discounts. And EMH certainly seems to be under assault. So I'm worried about where it's heading. But they have more than 30K rooms they need to keep full. And that part makes me feel like they will have to keep doing something to make it worthwhile.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: