Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I briefly played with offsite because:

I do room only so no package perks, the DDP does not work for my style of vacation and would cost more than what I pay out of pocket for food.

I only do 1 or 2 meals that require ADR's and I'm not attracted to the headliner meals anyway so I've never had a problem getting what I want even at the last minute.

I rent a car because there are things I like to do offsite so transportation/ME are not needed.

I think WDW is way overpriced for thier rooms and food.

I didn't have any interest in EMH and I'm really not a fan of RD. I'm not really a morning person.

BUT.....

I like that I can hop back and forth between parks and my room without driving all over town.

To be at a room close enough to make communting easy I'd Have to pay parking at my hotel and the parks.

If I stayed at a hotel with a shuttle I'd be tied to thier schedule, which I hate. And frankly I love the bus rides. I know I'm weird.

Though I though I'd be a deluxe level kind of girl, I'm actually loving the Mod level and I can tolerate the Values (though I still think even they are overpriced).

I really do love being in the middle of the who Disney Bubble.

I still rent a car to go offsite and to do selected driving within the resorts but, I have no parking fees.

While I still am not a RopeDrop person, I have occasionally used EMH to start the day early.

I still do not do DDP and probably never will. Room Only is my preference. But it can never hurt to make dining reservations early.

I stayed on site my first visit, just two nights, on a drive though on the way someplace else. I loved the atmosphere. I debated offsite for my next two visits but it just didn't make sense for me. So On Property has plenty of advantages for me, that off property just doesn't. They are not the 'perks' that most people look for, but they work for me.

I did stay off property one time for one night before I checked in and that will probably be the only offsite stays I ever do, just a night or two before to accomadate a plan or a late arrival.

I was also offsite when I did Disneyland. I will probably be offsite if I do DL this August. The hotel prices are crazy high and since it's only a day or two I don't need any other on site perks. Plus there are plenty of hotels, RIGHT there.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

Last edited by bookgirl; 03-20-2013 at 05:51 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I disagree completely! There is more to staying onsite that the EMH's, etc. We love the complete ambiance of being surrounded by *Disney*, the transportation is a very nice perk to us. We don't drive at all for 10 days and that is priceless to us, no stress.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

I totally disagree. For price alone, it's worth staying onsite. I looked at the prices off-site and, unless you are willing to stay at a "nothing special" hotel, offsite seems waaaay more expensive for me for the average-sized family.

And I'm not sure what perks you mean? The EMH at MK? For most smart guests, that matters not at all since we avoid the parks that have EMH anyway. That and it will be replaced with the perk of FP+, which I'm pretty excited about.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
Not true. DME is still a perk. They still have Extra Magic Hours, even if they are offering fewer of them than they did last year. For many the Dining Plan is a perk, as is the ability to have your purchases sent to your resort.

None of those have been eliminated. What perk have they taken away?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

I can't believe no one has mentioned the MOST amazing perk of staying on property:

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

We would never even consider staying off-site! It wouldn't feel like a real Disney Vacation to us. There are the obvious perks like Magical Express, dining plan, EMH, free transportation, etc. But even if all those went away, we still want to be in the middle of the Magic.

The total immersion and isolation from the "real world" is the best part of going to Disney If we had to leave it every night, it just wouldn't be the same. In fact, it wouldn't feel like it was worth it at all. I'd rather spend more, or stay less, and have a vacation that truly feels Magical.

1984-2001: Off-site & day-trips | 6/08:Poly | TR | Photos
12/08:Hilton GVC | TR | Photos | 6/10:CBR | TR | Photos
3/12:ASMo |TR| Photos | 4/13:YC | PTR | TR | Photos
Upcoming: 3/14: AKV & AoA | 12/14: VWL
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
PrincessTaylorsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
The total immersion and isolation from the "real world" is the best part of going to Disney If we had to leave it every night, it just wouldn't be the same. In fact, it wouldn't feel like it was worth it at all. I'd rather spend more, or stay less, and have a vacation that truly feels Magical.
Totally agree! The Magic is the best WDW "perk" of all!

4/13 Beach Club, 10/2011 Beach Club, 9/2009 ASMu, 12/07 Poly, 7/95 Dixie Landing, 1977-1986 Off site (many times with mom & dad)
PrincessTaylorsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
phalynx
Disney Video Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the MOST amazing perk of staying on property:

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!
It's all wham!
Aug 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2006 - Fort Wilderness
April 2007 - Carribean Resort
Sept 1-16 2007 Fort Wilderness
Dec 15-20 2007 Fort Wilderness
April 11-12 2008 Coronado
April 21-25 Contemporary
phalynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
DH drives in heavy traffic everyday.. Not having to to drive anywhere HUGE perk for us!
While I do not drive in heavy traffic (LOL!) I live very rural. 45 minutes to "real" stores--7 miles to the nearest gas station and during farmers market months, I drive 3 hours round trip 3x/week.

When I get to WDW I don't WANT to drive!!

Yes, I agree w/OP that room rates are getting out of hand--even the value resorts!! Or maybe I should say "especially the value resorts." Rack rates of $130+ per night are just absurd.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
Bephus
DIS Veteran

We never go in the summer and have small kids right now so late night EMH don't affect us immediately. I have priced it out and all hotels are expensive in Orlando. With all the added fees and hassle, I have found onsite to be pretty comparable to offsite with the #1 added perk of proximity. Since we go off-season we get great discounts and stay at Beach Club and walk to two parks. Can't get that anywhere else! I feel it is worth a little more $ for that.

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

We get the free Dining Plan and receive around £2000 worth of food for the five of us over a ten night stay. We love meals out and Disney is a pretty good value way to do it when free dining is offered- such a treat! We'd never pay for it, but yes, free dining is free. We don't pay a fortune for our room and still get it. It's a huge perk. We wouldn't go to WDW without it probably.

We love EMHs so are sad to see them being cut. You feel like a VIP getting let into a 'closed' park!

The ambiance of Disney resorts is amazing and another reason we stay onsite. I don't think we'd ever go to Disney and stay offsite.

We don't really use Disney transportation- we rent a car as it is apparently quicker although I have never compared it. Is the transport even that great when you have to get to another resort for an ADR? It seems like kind of hassle to me. Never tried it though so shall try it out next trip.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #27
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

We always stay onsite at Port Orleans Riverside for the most part because we love it there. While I love it, I can see how staying off site would be nice.

Since we drive to the parks for the most part because eDH hates the smelly buses and people right on top of you, we wouldn't be missing anything there.

I do enjoy the food court so that would be a negative but if we are staying in a large condo with a full kitchen the food court would not be missed near as much.

We do laundry on vacation so staying off site with a washer & dryer in the condo would be a big plus for me.

Lastly, when I say stay off site, I mean staying at Bonnet Creek which is right next door to Carribean Beach Resort. I love the location because its on Disney property. I would not like to stay out side of the Disney gates. I can get a huge place for a fraction of what we pay at POR.

We have not stayed there yet, but I am planning to on our next trip unless we get one heck of a deal from Disney. The way I look at it is just do what makes you and your family happy.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!
Ok I can live with out Stacy, but some like her...(I assume men mostly)

However I do enjoy turning on a TV every morning a finding that channel that only plays old Mickey cartoons!
I feel like I'm 6 again every time I hear the lead in music with the big Mickey head!

DD about fainted when she turned on the Tv the 1st we went..
She couldn't believe there were no commercials.

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post

STACEY!!!!!!!!!!
Scratchy scratchy!
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTaylorsMom View Post
Totally agree! The Magic is the best WDW "perk" of all!
this
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: