Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)

Spinoff: No inheritance

I was reading the thread about people getting a surprise inheritance. Have you ever thought you were getting something, only to find out after the fact that you didn't?

My grandmother had always made it clear that she was leaving everything to be split equally between the 7 grandchildren. She had told us numerous times that her children were grown & had done well for themselves and she wanted to help the grandchildren.

She passed away 2 years ago. Not one of the grandchildren ever received anything. And we have no idea where any of it went
Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrite View Post
I was reading the thread about people getting a surprise inheritance. Have you ever thought you were getting something, only to find out after the fact that you didn't?

My grandmother had always made it clear that she was leaving everything to be split equally between the 7 grandchildren. She had told us numerous times that her children were grown & had done well for themselves and she wanted to help the grandchildren.

She passed away 2 years ago. Not one of the grandchildren ever received anything. And we have no idea where any of it went
Ask your Parents, Aunt's and Uncles

My G-Ma did the same but my one Aunt forged a POA and had all assets transferred before she passed, and wiped out all her money in her accounts ( She claimed she needed to preserve her children's fund and since she was the only daughter(her Mom) with children, her brother's children weren't as important). She screwed herself when it came to the Life insurance. She tried to make off with that too, but realized she would be charged with perjury and looking at some serious fines so she backed off

Ask to see a copy of the will. Most states require that they be filled at the court house before they are "considered valid" and less likely to be contested. Find out if there was an Attorney who handled her estate and go from there. It wouldn't hurt to search the public notice Archives for notices either. If she owned a home and it was sold, look up the deed and see to whom it was deeded or profited from the sale after her death. Locating this information may cause a lot of family issues. Don't be afraid to find out the answer.

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

Did Grandma just 'say' this or did she have an actual will?
Has the will been through probate? 2 years isn't too long of a time.
Maybe since grandma didn't leave anything to her children they don't feel the need to get things started?
Who is in charge of her estate?

I don't mean to sound rude-just asking questions. My grandma passed away exactly 1 year ago. I just sent in my forms for the lawyer last week. My dad is in charge of her estate. It was up to him to get things started. She left each grandchild $1000.

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

There may not have been anything left over after DGM passed away. Her assets may have been spent on her care for her final years. Her belongings may even have had to be sold to pay for her care. Start by asking your parents.

Her assets may have been titled to pass to designated beneficiaries. Bank accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds can all be titled to pass directly to beneficiaries upon death of the owner. Some assets may have been jointly titled with right of survivorship of the surviving owner.

If DGM had a will and it was probated, the Register of Wills or whatever the position is called in your area will have records.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
luvmy3jewels
DIS Veteran

Yes, I was in a simliar position with one of my grandparents. After he passed we found out that his step-grandson had taken my grandfather to a lawyer who changed his will so that everything was left to him. The first lawyer he took him to refused to re-write the will due to the fact that my grandfather had Alzheimer's and was not of sound mind. Apparently the second attorney did not share the same ethics.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

My mom took care of her dying aunt for years. When she passed, my mom figured she'd get something little, especially since she was her caretaker. Turns out the aunt, who had no children of her own, left it to two other nieces/nephews, and left nothing to my mom. My mom was very hurt and upset. Not so much because of the money but because she felt she did a lot for her aunt and didn't understand what happened.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

My grandma's sister always was threatening me she would leave me her grand piano. (I used to play when she was younger)

Glad she didn't leave it to me....that thing was HUGE!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Lesson here everyone!

Get yourself a trust and write down everything you want!

You can change it when ever you want, but no one else can!

In the trust you add everything you own goes into the trust.

No Will can override that statement!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

My mother always told us that everything would be split equally between the 7 of us but then left a will with someting different. And no, it wasn't because the favored three were the ones who were "there". It was just because they were the favorites.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
disneykidatheart
Mouseketeer

My aunt (mom's sister) and uncle acted and lived as if they were a bit above and better than her siblings. She worked until past age 70 supporting my uncle in his various schemes and bouts without work. There was alway promise of a payback when his "Mama" passed. His parents ran a successful funeral business in the south. Turned out that "Mama" lived to a ripe old age into her late nineties and did it in the style to which she was accustomed. There was nothing left to inherit by the time she died.

My parents, on the other hand, were told by my uncle there was nothing to inherit from my father's parents. The uncle died unexpectedly without any heirs. My father and two nephews ended up splitting an estate that was worth much more than they thought possible, given that my grandfather was a small retired farmer. It didn't make my parents wealthy but did make their retirement a little more comfortable.

It is far better not to expect to receive anything and be surprised when you do!
disneykidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

Yup. When my MIL was dying she had her father change his will so her half would be split between my Dh and his brother. When the grandfather died his son (MIL's step brother) took everything and we have never heard from him again.

The tag fairy loves me

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I'm of the philosophy that it's their money to leave to whoever they want. That said, I was surprised when DH's grandmother passed and none of the grandchildren (or great grandkids) received anything. My FIL (her son) decided to keep it all (it's not much). He said the money will be given out after he passes. He lives a very simple life so I know the money is there (DH takes care of his bank accounts). My FIL doesn't like the way my BIL handles money so I figure this is how he decided to exercise some control over it.

Whatever, inheritances are something I refuse to count on or plan on. My mother has told me what she wants to leave me - but refuses to write a will. By law, I get a 1/3 of whatever since she doesn't have a will - which is what she would leave me anyway so I'm not too concerned. That said, I hate that she doesn't feel leaving a will is important. I don't like the thought of arguing with anyone about who gets what. (Not that we will argue - my brother and I would NEVER - but it would be super uncomfortable). I already told her there's she cannot leave a house jointly for my brother and I. I can never live in any of the properties she owns and there's no way my brother will have cash to buy me out....so I'll never see a penny of it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
Did Grandma just 'say' this or did she have an actual will?
Has the will been through probate? 2 years isn't too long of a time.
2 years is a VERY long time for an uncontested probate. If filed promptly, it should be wrapped up in less than 6 months. I can see 2 years if contested though.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Not me, but when my great uncle passed away, I thought for sure my mom and uncle would get an inheritance. He never married, got his PhD at 22 or 23 and lived in a not-too-expensive town in New York. About five years before he died, he sold his house and moved to a rented apartment.

He was a chemist (he was actually the lead chemist in the development of pepto bismol ) and made decent money, so I thought he would leave them an inheritance.

I think they each got a few thousand (like under 10,000) each. I really thought it would have been more. He was a hoarder though (mostly books and electronics), so I guess his money went there. Not after he moved to the apartment, though. Don't know where it went.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Not exactly an inheritance situation, but I adored my grandmother, as did all of her 23 grandchildren. When closing out her estate, my aunt had a series of garage sales and sold off all of her household belongings. Said aunt was the queen of garage sales.

I would have loved to have something that was hers. She wasn't weathy and her belongings were fairly humble. But I would have loved to have a mug or a baking dish or a teapot that was hers. But my aunt never thought to ask anyone if they wanted anything before she sold it all.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: