DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #136
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
I was told we are 4th in line for BCV Aug UY. Hope soon...........
When did you go on the list again? We are an Aug UY also and went on March 17th...but we are in a state that they haven't approved the license or whatever it is that they issue to a timeshare company that allows them to market in the state....I really hope they get this worked out soon!!! I want my points!!!

TIA

Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #137
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Same date! for 150 pts. How many are you looking for?
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #138
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
Same date! for 150 pts. How many are you looking for?
We are looking for 125 points....hopefully we will hear something soon!!! We have a trip planned for next March and need those points!!!

Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #139
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

We went on the list Mar 11th for 50pts at BCV
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #140
nd43
Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
I had posted on another thread, wondering why ROFR isn't exercised to get those needed points for direct buyers. I think your comment explains it well.
Given I have moved from a person waiting on a resale contract that was eventually RORFd to a person that is now on the wait list to buy direct, I am know thinking about these issues as well!

Two things came to my mind:

1- The wait list is comprised of both add ons and new DVC members looking to buy an old resort. This causes a conflict for Disney because I am sure they would much prefer to have the new members buy the open, new resort (what they are currently promoting). Therefore, making the wait list too efficient works against their primary goal of selling the new resorts and I think all the add on DVC members are caught in the cross fire. They do not want ALL the resorts to have the same access for new members. Having new members wait a few months for an old resort while immediately getting the new resort is an incentive for the new resort.

2- I wonder how many people, when they come up on the wait list, say "no thanks". Therefore, if Disney kept buying old points quickly they could fear draining the list of real buyers and end up getting stuck with the points. By keeping the list longer, they are more assured the points they do buy will sell because they can work a longer list to get them sold. Again, if they were too efficient, they might get stuck holding points they cannot quickly sell because people drop off the list come decision time.

These were just my thoughts on why Disney might not like really short wait lists.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #141
icouldlivethere
Mouseketeer

Anyone have any updates as to whether there has been any movement in the waiting lists recently?

In looking at the BWV contracts that have been ROFR'd so far, it looks like Disney hasn't taken any over $69 pp. At least of the ones that people have reported here on the DisBoards.

There is a shortage of BWV contracts up for sale right now and the price has gone way up on them. Stripped contracts are going in the mid 70's and non stripped contracts are going in the 80's. I'm wondering if Disney is going to be willing to pay the higher prices. I'm beginning to think we may never get our 25 points we wanted to purchase.

icouldlivethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #142
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

One thing I have not seen mentioned here when it comes to wait list & Disney getting back points via ROFR. According to the info. I have seen on the Orange County website, Disney prepares closing docs, the seller has to sign & return, the deed & Waiver of ROFR has to be recorded, and whatever else Disney needs to do to regain ownership when buying back points via ROFR. Just like when ROFR gets waived, buyers have to wait for seller to sign & return docs & deed recorded. It's a process. Even though Disney exercises ROFR on a contract, they may not have the points to sell for another month or so until the whole process is complete. I do not work for Disney or have any insider info. but only offering a hypothesis as to part of the reason why the wait list process seems to take so long.

I also agree with what nd43 said above contributes to it all as well.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #143
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

My guide just called me and said that he just wanted to touch base and let me know that it should only be a few more weeks . They are acquiring more points and I am just wondering how they are acquiring them
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #144
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babesboo99 View Post
My guide just called me and said that he just wanted to touch base and let me know that it should only be a few more weeks . They are acquiring more points and I am just wondering how they are acquiring them
Disney gets points back through foreclosure at a rate much greater than that of ROFR. That being said, I would take what your "guide" says with a grain of salt. He's a salesman and his job is to sell. Others here have said that their "guides" have told them that they don't know how long it will be until they have points available. It's a little inconsistent if you ask me.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #145
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
IMO there is a profit margin that disney is looking for and it is not buying contracts at 65.00 PP and selling them for 110.00 because they simply have not been doing that.
I suspect something similar. DVD probably operates within a certain amount of capital to "invest" and needs to maximize return on that capital.

Lots on the waiting list seem to be buying 25-to-75 point add-ons for specific months; pennies to Disney. Yet resale contracts tend to come in much larger chunks; 150 points or more and the better priced ones are over 300 points. Margins might be OK if Disney could get a contract and then quickly sell it in it's entirety or if enough buyers added up to exactly that number of points for that month. However, if Disney has to break up a contract, they could end up sitting on a bunch of points, killing margins. Perhaps worse, what once was a large contract with a relatively low per-point price could end up appearing on the market years later piecemeal at a much higher per-point price, making those more expensive to acquire to satisfy future demand.

Let's say Disney has 5 pages of people waiting for BWV, with 50 names on each page. OK, 250 potential customers sounds like a lot but they seem to be averaging around 75 points. Simple math: 250 X 75 = 18,750 points. Yet AKV just sold over 130,000 last months alone. AKV's margin is tremendous, with Disney selling at nearly $130/point with incentives while the construction cost is somewhere under $30/point.

Why poorly invest capital buying at $75/point and selling at $115/point when the margins are much better elsewhere? It's all about smart investment of capital. Ultimately, Disney's going to spend its capital on what provides the best ROI.

Last edited by Nabas; 05-17-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #146
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Disney gets points back through foreclosure at a rate much greater than that of ROFR. That being said, I would take what your "guide" says with a grain of salt. He's a salesman and his job is to sell. Others here have said that their "guides" have told them that they don't know how long it will be until they have points available. It's a little inconsistent if you ask me.
Disney continues to acquire a great deal of points through foreclosure at AKV, BLT, and SSR. However, it seems they acquire considerably fewer through foreclosure at the "classic" DVC resorts.

Last edited by Nabas; 05-17-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #147
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

I know there are some in this thread that are waiting for BWV Oct and will be happy to know that they just took the contract we were trying for 200 points and Fidelity said there was an identical contract also taken so for sure 400 points Oct UY it should move the wait list along a bit!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #148
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
I know there are some in this thread that are waiting for BWV Oct and will be happy to know that they just took the contract we were trying for 200 points and Fidelity said there was an identical contract also taken so for sure 400 points Oct UY it should move the wait list along a bit!
That's stinks, so sad for you!

Did your contract have banked points?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #149
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
Disney continues to acquire a great deal of points through foreclosure at AKV, BLT, and SSR. However, it seems they acquire considerably fewer through foreclosure at the "classic" DVC resorts.
I would like to see the numbers to back up this assertion.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #150
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I would like to see the numbers to back up this assertion.
Check out the OCC site. It's interesting to watch the number of DVC contracts reacquired through foreclosure fluctuate from month-to-month but it pretty much always exceeds the number of ROFR'ed contracts at the newer resorts. For example, in the month of April, Disney obtained 2 AKV properties through ROFR but 23 through foreclosure. At BLT, 10 via ROFR, 15 via foreclosure. At SSR, 18 via ROFR, 21 via foreclosure. Recall that ROFR activity in April was the highest it's been in a while. In previously months, the ratio is even more lopsided.

Conversely, foreclosures at the 4 "classic" DVCs are rare events, perhaps 1 or 2 in a typical month.

This makes sense to me. Timeshare purchasers tend to be impulse buyers. In the case of Disney, they are at WDW having a great vacation, stopped by one of the many DVC kiosks, and made a decision to purchase while on that vacation. (Always exceptions of course; I am generalizing but am constantly surprised at the number of folks I overhear at WDW buying into DVC without having done a stitch of research.) A lot finance. Sorry to those of you who finance but if you bought directly from Disney and financed your purchase, you haven't made a particularly smart financial decision.

During the last few years, Disney has sold a disproportionate number of points at the 3 newer resorts. Again, this is common sense since this is what they are actively selling.

Now it's 2-to-4 year later and impulse buyers are realizing they don't vacation at WDW every year like they thought they would. Those who put 10% or 20% down have discovered their loans are underwater. Might as well let Disney take the points back or, as many of the deeds show, "warranty deed-in-lieu of foreclosure".

The same happened at the classic resorts but those impulse buyers are long gone now. Most purchasing at the classic resorts today are doing so either via resale or because they knew enough to ask Disney for an older resort. Either way, they know more than most impulse buyers (again, generalizing of course). More often than not, they want, for example, the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge because they've stayed there, know about it (even though Disney is not actively marketing it), and tend to be regular WDW vacationers. Again, generalizing but guests buying at classic resorts probably know more than most impulse buyers at new resorts and probably have an established pattern of vacationing at WDW. They are less likely to be foreclosed on because they really do intend to vacation at WDW every year.

Last edited by Nabas; 05-18-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: