Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran
 
Wishes Count's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 806

I didn't get the job. THANKS OBAMA
__________________
Wishes Count is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 149

Ignore everyone else. They don't know what you've been through. They don't know what it's like to have teachers give you C's on tests simply because you're black. They don't know what it's like to have the popular boy never ask you out simply because you're black. They've never been in your shoes.

YOU know what it's like to be you. YOU know what it's like to have to go out your door every day knowing the world is FULL of racists. The racists are around every street corner just trying to keep you down.

And all these people saying Disney isn't racist? Have they ever watched Peter Pan? Have they seen Song of the South? How many white princesses are there (many)? How many black (1), how many asian (0 because Mulan was not a princess). The people who make the decisions at Disney didn't make these choices on accident.

If you KNOW you were discriminated against you should sue. Seriously. Sue them. What will end up happening is Disney will settle with you out of court. Disney doesn't want your story to end up in the newspaper.

If more victims of racism stood up and had the courage to sue companies there'd be a lot less racism in this country. Obama's election doesn't prove the country is no longer racist. Racism still exists and we must all fight against it.

If you do nothing then the next time another young black woman applies to this position she will get denied by the same interviewer. You have the chance to stop this circle of racism. You must speak up.
Jasonkat is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
mcraige
DIS Veteran
 
mcraige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 548

Is this for real, or is this a troll?

I just returned from WDW and there were numerous cast members of all races working in all types of jobs. Racism had nothing to do with OP not getting the job.
__________________
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
dairylives
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
Ignore everyone else. They don't know what you've been through. They don't know what it's like to have teachers give you C's on tests simply because you're black. They don't know what it's like to have the popular boy never ask you out simply because you're black. They've never been in your shoes.

YOU know what it's like to be you. YOU know what it's like to have to go out your door every day knowing the world is FULL of racists. The racists are around every street corner just trying to keep you down.

And all these people saying Disney isn't racist? Have they ever watched Peter Pan? Have they seen Song of the South? How many white princesses are there (many)? How many black (1), how many asian (0 because Mulan was not a princess). The people who make the decisions at Disney didn't make these choices on accident.

If you KNOW you were discriminated against you should sue. Seriously. Sue them. What will end up happening is Disney will settle with you out of court. Disney doesn't want your story to end up in the newspaper.

If more victims of racism stood up and had the courage to sue companies there'd be a lot less racism in this country. Obama's election doesn't prove the country is no longer racist. Racism still exists and we must all fight against it.

If you do nothing then the next time another young black woman applies to this position she will get denied by the same interviewer. You have the chance to stop this circle of racism. You must speak up.
dairylives is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
bopnopper9
Mouseketeer
 
bopnopper9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 100

As someone else pointed out, we weren't there, but suing will probably get you nowhere as Disney is incredibly diverse and hires many, many people from all races all the time. And they're quite powerful. From your story it really doesn't sound anything like racism. If the interviewer really was racist, I feel like the interview wouldn't have gone "well" as you pointed out. In my experience with racist jerks, they tend to be jerks to the minorities from the get-go. While I agree that there are some situations of racism, the fact is that they are far more rare than many make them out to be.

Consider this:

I used to work Parade Audience Control at Magic Kingdom. One night I was working the handicapped/wheelchair area. I had just finished filling up my area. An old grandmother rolled up in her wheelchair and a man was with her. Since it was a party of two I crammed them into the side and another guest complained to me that I was overpacking the area. So I made the decision that I would fit no one else in. It was simply too full and the parade was starting soon.

Shortly after, a woman, who happened to be black, and her family (5 members of the family, with son in a wheelchair) came up to me and asked to go into the area. I explained that as it was so close to show time and the area was full, there was no room and I couldn't let them in. I pointed out another place she could go to maybe find a seat, but the other area may be full too because it was like five minutes to show time. "But I just saw you put that other white lady in there!" The woman yelled at me! She told me I was being racist and she would report me. This honestly had NOTHING to do with racism. The area was full. She came there too late. That was that. Thankfully nothing ever came of it. Everyone who knew me knew I had many black friends and am not racist. But it still hurt me that she randomly accused me of that! It hadn't even registered in my brain that she was a different skin color since I literally see thousands upon thousands of guests of all skin colors all day every day.

I had another situation similar to this when a black family with like 12 people (I don't remember exactly how many were in the party, but it was a LOT) tried to come into the wheelchair area. But we have a rule about how many family members can accompany the wheelchair into the viewing area. This rules applies to ALL guests regardless of skin color. And I had already split up some other families who were white and had a LOT of people. But when I tried to explain to this family that they'd need to split up, they claimed I was being racist because I just let that other family in and didn't split them up! (The other party was a party of four).

I understand that racism exists. I know it's hard when you're a minority. But a LOT of the time, it honestly has nothing to do with racism.

This situation of yours sounds a lot like something that simply happened. You are, understandably, upset that you didn't get the job. But please don't jump to the race card so quickly. If you were told you got the job and they changed their mind the next day in a phone call, who's to say that same thing didn't happen to the others? And maybe the reason there aren't as many black people working for Disney as white is because there are less black people around to hire than white. Be careful accusing people of racism unless you really feel they're treating you different, and rudely from the beginning. If she was kind to the others, and rude to your face, then I'd be worried. But the way you described it, it doesn't sound like racism.

And good luck! I definitely think you should apply again! I've known many people who didn't make it on their first interview or two, but after a couple they eventually get in. Don't lose hope!
bopnopper9 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
beepbeepimajeep
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
Ignore everyone else. They don't know what you've been through. They don't know what it's like to have teachers give you C's on tests simply because you're black. They don't know what it's like to have the popular boy never ask you out simply because you're black. They've never been in your shoes.

YOU know what it's like to be you. YOU know what it's like to have to go out your door every day knowing the world is FULL of racists. The racists are around every street corner just trying to keep you down.

And all these people saying Disney isn't racist? Have they ever watched Peter Pan? Have they seen Song of the South? How many white princesses are there (many)? How many black (1), how many asian (0 because Mulan was not a princess). The people who make the decisions at Disney didn't make these choices on accident.

If you KNOW you were discriminated against you should sue. Seriously. Sue them. What will end up happening is Disney will settle with you out of court. Disney doesn't want your story to end up in the newspaper.

If more victims of racism stood up and had the courage to sue companies there'd be a lot less racism in this country. Obama's election doesn't prove the country is no longer racist. Racism still exists and we must all fight against it.

If you do nothing then the next time another young black woman applies to this position she will get denied by the same interviewer. You have the chance to stop this circle of racism. You must speak up.
First of all, the original poster already said she had been denied from 3 CP's, which are all phone interviews. There's no way to tell race over a phone, so there's clearly something she's doing wrong in her interviews, and it isn't her race.
Nobody gets a lower grade on a test because of their race. They get low grades because they don't know the material as well as they should. Nobody has any obligation to ask anyone out just because of their race... Not sure what you're getting at there. You've clearly spent too much time around Disney because you're living in some fantasy conspiracy world.
Also, if you're going to say Disney is a racist company today and then go on to reference Peter Pan and SotS, which were both released over SIXTY years ago, your argument is ridiculous. Wake the hell up, half of Animal Kingdom is themed to look like Africa, and is staffed by Africans. Look at the people working in all the parks.. A significant percentage are black. Half of Epcot is dedicated to worldwide culture. No lawyer in a million years would accept a case to convince a jury that the Disney company is racist.
beepbeepimajeep is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
dairylives
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeepimajeep View Post
First of all, the original poster already said she had been denied from 3 CP's, which are all phone interviews. There's no way to tell race over a phone, so there's clearly something she's doing wrong in her interviews, and it isn't her race.
Nobody gets a lower grade on a test because of their race. They get low grades because they don't know the material as well as they should. Nobody has any obligation to ask anyone out just because of their race... Not sure what you're getting at there. You've clearly spent too much time around Disney because you're living in some fantasy conspiracy world.
Also, if you're going to say Disney is a racist company today and then go on to reference Peter Pan and SotS, which were both released over SIXTY years ago, your argument is ridiculous. Wake the hell up, half of Animal Kingdom is themed to look like Africa, and is staffed by Africans. Look at the people working in all the parks.. A significant percentage are black. Half of Epcot is dedicated to worldwide culture. No lawyer in a million years would accept a case to convince a jury that the Disney company is racist.
i like your username.
dairylives is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
dairylives
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeepimajeep View Post
First of all, the original poster already said she had been denied from 3 CP's, which are all phone interviews. There's no way to tell race over a phone, so there's clearly something she's doing wrong in her interviews, and it isn't her race.
Nobody gets a lower grade on a test because of their race. They get low grades because they don't know the material as well as they should. Nobody has any obligation to ask anyone out just because of their race... Not sure what you're getting at there. You've clearly spent too much time around Disney because you're living in some fantasy conspiracy world.
Also, if you're going to say Disney is a racist company today and then go on to reference Peter Pan and SotS, which were both released over SIXTY years ago, your argument is ridiculous. Wake the hell up, half of Animal Kingdom is themed to look like Africa, and is staffed by Africans. Look at the people working in all the parks.. A significant percentage are black. Half of Epcot is dedicated to worldwide culture. No lawyer in a million years would accept a case to convince a jury that the Disney company is racist.
I think the most important part of the OP is the young lady mocking her interviewer's physical appearance. To me, that just shows that she isn't really Disney material in the first place.
dairylives is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
rockydek
Disney4us
 
rockydek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts ,North Shore
Posts: 497

Really!

Really!

Teachers giving C's because of color...this is ludicrous.
STOP using the color of your skin ...take the constructive criticism and apply it to your next interview in 6 months.

Good Luck!
__________________
rockydek is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
ruckelc
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 53

Yeah I really wanted to ask if that poster had ever been to AK or AKL. There's not much Disney racism there.
ruckelc is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
coco392
Mouseketeer
 
coco392's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232

I got knocked back as an African tribal dancer at ak. they said it was because I didn't dance very well.

I reckon it was because I was white.

I'm going to sue disney
coco392 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #27
SwimBikeRun
Mouseketeer
 
SwimBikeRun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 172

I don't think this is racism at all. If they offered you a job that day then she obviously wasn't feeling racist towards you.

What most likely happened is she ran your name through her system and your name is flagged for some reason - whether it's your old CP interviews or a quick credit check. Something came up on her internal, quick background check. It's pretty standard procedure nowadays.
SwimBikeRun is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
jordanri
i am disgruntled in every childhood photo from disney
 
jordanri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: west warwick, rhode island
Posts: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
I think some of you people are giving this girl far too much benefit of the doubt. we seem to be forgetting that in her original post, shes calling people "ugly *****" and throwing around accusations of racism like its no big deal.
me thinks someone didn't like what they heard anyway as they never came back
__________________


2012 Disney College Program Children's Activities Hostess • 2012 Disney's Contemporary Resort & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2012 Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort • 2012 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2011 Disney College Program Attractions Hostess • 2011 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2008 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2004 Off-Site Band Trip • 2001 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1999 Disney's Port Orleans Resort • 1997 Disney's Dixie Landings Resort • 1995 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1994 Disney's Port Orleans Resort
jordanri is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
disneylove69
DIS Veteran
 
disneylove69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wheatland, CA
Posts: 2,447

Working in the retail industry we offer jobs pending background checks. State law is very picky. Something could have come up or like others said, attitidue probably got in the way. I would definately get your picture off as someone else said employers check the internet for postings and if you are threatening potential lawsuit they are not going to take a chance with you since you might accuse them of something. l would try Knotts if you want to work in the industry.
disneylove69 is online now  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #30
Oath
Pusher Love Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimBikeRun View Post
I don't think this is racism at all. If they offered you a job that day then she obviously wasn't feeling racist towards you.

What most likely happened is she ran your name through her system and your name is flagged for some reason - whether it's your old CP interviews or a quick credit check. Something came up on her internal, quick background check. It's pretty standard procedure nowadays.
Perhaps. "I don't smile enough", is a polite way of saying there was something undercover she didn't like.

I used to work at Target and the manager accused me of fraud and stealing money from the register which I didn't do so I ended up quitting and I guess they have me as terminated in my employment background check.

I don't have any criminal history. Not all black people are crooks. lol
================================================== =======


I want to thank you all for your replies. I still think my race had lots to do with it. There were moments were I assumed she was threatened by me for some reason.

that's neither here nor there. I'm not gonna work at disney and to be quite frank, I happy. They brainwash their employees.

But it's all good. Things happen for a reason.

I just got hired as a concessions cashier at Knotts.
Oath is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.