Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
rhughesdisney
Earning My Ears

Dcp and your college??

I was just wondering how your college handles the DCP. We are having trouble with my daughters school since they have never had anyone go before. Do you take a leave? Use it as an internship? Or do online credits??
rhughesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
awilliams1109
Earning My Ears

It really depends on the college.

Some people take a leave of absence, others take the Disney classes to get college credit from their school ( if their school accepts the course they are taking) , some can't get credits at all, and some people can get college credits for just doing the dcp.
awilliams1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
mobish
Mouseketeer

My daughter was the first from her school also and initially they didn't want to give her credit for the semester. She printed out the syllabus for the class she would take at Disney and met with the Dept Chair armed with everything she could find on the CP website. She ended up getting 12 credits for the semester which kept her on track to graduate on time. This program is a tremendous experience for them. Disney on your resume opens doors everywhere and it is a valuable lesson on how the corporate world works. Good luck!

The 12 credits included internship credits
mobish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
rhughesdisney
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately we her major they said there is nothing they can do. Just worried about her loans having to be paid while down there and that added stress. I
rhughesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
emilie2013
Mouseketeer

She could always do it once she graduates, you can apply as long as you are fresh out of college (less then 6 months)
emilie2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
DianeV
DIS Veteran

My daughter's major is Criminal Justice so the dept. head couldn't justify her getting an internship credit. If she was business, hospitality or something that she could use to get her the credit she would have

She is working on getting credit for a security class she would take at Disney. Maybe 3 credits

If there is a class available through Disney that would apply to her major find it and print everything out for the school.

There is also the option of online classes through her school but I have heard its pretty difficult with all the working etc.

So that would be it. She is basically taking the semester off and she may be notified that her loans will come due however you actually have to be not in school for 6 months before that happens and she will only miss 5. I was told to let the servicer know that she will be back attending for the next semester and she will be ok as far as the loans not going into repayment mode
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Vacation Kathy
DVC Member Since 1994

My son's college allowed him to put his full scholarship on hold for this semester and he is getting 3 credit hrs for an internship class over the summer (environ. health science major -- just took environ. science seminar at DCP). 3 hrs isn't much credit but he has learned/grown more in the last 3 months at WDW than in his first 3 semesters at college!! The problem we are having now is that he wants to extend through the fall but I don't have the nerve to ask the university to hold his scholarship another semester.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
bethp1968
Mouseketeer

My daughter's college advisor reviewed the coursed offered by Disney and ok'd 6 of them for her major (Hospitality Management). She selected 2 classes and will get 6 credits, along with 1 credit for her mandatory work-study that they must complete over the summer. She is Spring Advantage and will be there until August. Since she is receiving credit, her partial scholarship is still in effect and financial aid does not need to start being repaid. However, she will be applying to extend into Fall and/or move down permanently.

Carribean Beach - July 1998; Disney Cruise - August 2001;Outside WDW - November 2003 (Bought SSR DVC!!)
SSR - October 2004; SSR- June 2005; BWV - February 2006; SSR - December 2007; BWV - October 2008; BWV - June 2010; AKKV - Thanksgiving 2011; BWV - June 2012; BLT/BWV - May 2013
BCV/BWV - May 2014

Daughter - Disney College Program (DCP) - Quick Service Food & Beverage Jan-Aug 2014 Just got extended...new end date is Jan 2015
bethp1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #9
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

If she has to stay in school she can always continue Part Time online or Full-Time if need be. I took 12 online hours during my Fall Program and while it's difficult, it's not impossible.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Anyone coming from ASU, particularly the Barrett Honors College? If so, was it easy to at tend the DCP? Were you able to get credit?

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
TerminationStation
Earning My Ears

I took an internship credit out that kept me enrolled in the school so my loans didn't start coming earlier. If your daughters take out loans you definitely want to make sure they are still enrolled in school, because if not they could start coming before they graduate.
TerminationStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
dizagain
DIS Veteran

My daughter's school was pretty laid back about it. She is a math education major so the program really isn't helping her credit-wise. She is doing this for the experience which WILL definitely help her in the future. Her school requires a $50 fee to remain enrolled in an internship program. That's it. She retains her scholarships until the next semester. If for some reason she ends up needing an extra semester because of this break, she will lose her state lottery funding because it is only good for four years. She believes she will finish on time with a few summer courses next year. It's interesting to see how different school policies are.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: