Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
PoohIsHome
Earning My Ears

It shouldn't be this hard

3 people, 1 vacation....sounds pretty simple, doesn't it?

For a normal earthling, it would be pretty simple but toss one neurotic planner and it becomes over the moon chaotic. Grab another cup of , read my dilemma and feel free to offer any nuggets of wisdom you may have to offer.

As of right now the last day of school for DS is May 23. I have to keep in mind that last year they missed 12 days of school for snow.....could mean nothing for this year but I have to keep it in my noodle for planning dates.

The biggie is where do we stay. Our last vaca in ORL was in '10 and we stayed at HRH and absolutely loved everything about it. My dilemma for this trip is the heavily rumored opening of the expansion of WWoHP. If the rumors are to be believed, it will be opening the exact time when we're planning on being there. Now, the inner Potter freak in me loves this...but the wife and Mom that knows how the DH and DS would react to the crowds knows better than to even attempt it.

Soooo, do I go with the hotel we love or do I take my chances and stay on-site at WDW since we're planning on doing the WDW parks as well on this trip?

See, it just shouldn't be this hard.
PoohIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Stay onsite at Universal..Disney doesn't have anything big opening ( other than the mine train) that will drive up crowds that much.If Harry Potter opens, it is going to be insane crowds .Staying onsite will likely give you at least early entry and better access
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

Can you split the trip up? Stay onsite at Universal for early access and unlimited express then move to Disney resort for the WDW portion? For us, this is the best of both worlds.
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohIsHome View Post
3 people, 1 vacation....sounds pretty simple, doesn't it?

For a normal earthling, it would be pretty simple but toss one neurotic planner and it becomes over the moon chaotic. Grab another cup of , read my dilemma and feel free to offer any nuggets of wisdom you may have to offer.

As of right now the last day of school for DS is May 23. I have to keep in mind that last year they missed 12 days of school for snow.....could mean nothing for this year but I have to keep it in my noodle for planning dates.

The biggie is where do we stay. Our last vaca in ORL was in '10 and we stayed at HRH and absolutely loved everything about it. My dilemma for this trip is the heavily rumored opening of the expansion of WWoHP. If the rumors are to be believed, it will be opening the exact time when we're planning on being there. Now, the inner Potter freak in me loves this...but the wife and Mom that knows how the DH and DS would react to the crowds knows better than to even attempt it.

Soooo, do I go with the hotel we love or do I take my chances and stay on-site at WDW since we're planning on doing the WDW parks as well on this trip?

See, it just shouldn't be this hard.
to the darkside first time poster!

yes, HP2 will be opening sometime in 2014.
they list it as summer, but who knows if soft openings will happen in May or June. very possible.

no one here knows the date HP2 will happen.
we just have guesses.

to be on the safe side, book your room now and just modify the rate if any discounts will be available for your trip.
rooms could sell out in anticipation of the event.

since you have already planned to do the motherland also, you could book there and do day trips to the darkside.
(or, set up a split stay for your May trip.)

if you book soon for motherland and darkside, you could always cancel, modify your darkside hotel if UO announces the opening HP2 date if it conflicts with your stay time.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
PoohIsHome
Earning My Ears

First time poster, but with a 3yr DIS addiction. Are there bonus points for coming clean? When I planned the '10 trip to the darkside, it was all done thanks to lurking on the DIS for months prior....I had never felt so prepared for a trip!!

I've floated the idea of a split stay by the DH and I get the standard, "I'm fine with however you want to do it." Having been married to this creature for 15 years I know what that translates to.

Speaking of that last trip.....springing it on the DS was a riot!! He thought DH was home that morning to work from home and when I showed up at school he thought he was going to the dentist!! It was priceless!!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Herbie
DIS Veteran

I vote for splitting the trip. I happen to like Disney transportation, and always use it when staying on site. Getting back and forth between dis and univ is a time waster to me.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
PoohIsHome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
I vote for splitting the trip. I happen to like Disney transportation, and always use it when staying on site. Getting back and forth between dis and univ is a time waster to me.
We'll have a rental car. DH also has family in the ORL area so we'll get out and about to go visit.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
First time poster, but with a 3yr DIS addiction. Are there bonus points for coming clean? When I planned the '10 trip to the darkside, it was all done thanks to lurking on the DIS for months prior....I had never felt so prepared for a trip!!

I've floated the idea of a split stay by the DH and I get the standard, "I'm fine with however you want to do it." Having been married to this creature for 15 years I know what that translates to.

Speaking of that last trip.....springing it on the DS was a riot!! He thought DH was home that morning to work from home and when I showed up at school he thought he was going to the dentist!! It was priceless!!
lol the sooner you acknowledge ur DIS habit the better

split trips are the way to go if you can swing it

I've yet to meet anyone who isn't blown away by staying onsite @ Universal (men seem to embrace it). Works best as the 2nd part of a split stay

fyi if you're trying to work in Star Wars weekend might want to plan around typical schedule and be advised that the tour groups were out in force @ WDW early June this year.

keishashadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
PoohIsHome
Earning My Ears

DS would love it if we hit SWW, but I think the crowds and tour groups would be right up there with things we want to avoid.

I'm thinking it's going to be a split stay. Either way, I want to get this thing booked by the end of next week.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Seems easier on you if you just take him at his word...

We stay at Universal for Universal and stay at WDW for WDW. If something huge were opening at Universal when we were there I would be staying onsite at Universal. Gives you the upper hand on things.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: