DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

Wondering if we told our guide the right use year..

My Dh and I went on a waiting list for BCV and we told him Oct or Dec use year since we would like to typically travel between Oct and Jan ( once in awhile during the summer). I was just wondering if that was the right decision can anyone give their opinion..
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babesboo99 View Post
My Dh and I went on a waiting list for BCV and we told him Oct or Dec use year since we would like to typically travel between Oct and Jan ( once in awhile during the summer). I was just wondering if that was the right decision can anyone give their opinion..
If you think you will regularly travel in October, then you may want to rethink the December UY. You want to travel early in your UY. If you travel in October with a December UY and have to cancel a trip, you'd only have until the end of November to use those points (because you'd be past your banking deadline).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
no UY is perfect if you travel at different times. i never travel in the summer so Oct works great for me. if you never travel in the spring (feb-may) then maybe a June UY is better for you.

ideally, you'd 1) like to travel early in your UY and 2) never travel in the last 3-4 months or so of your UY.

also, if you already own a contract, it is easier to manage pts if you add-on to that master contract (which means getting the same UY month).

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
pinnocchiosdad
DIS Veteran

I actually started a thread last night on the importance of choosing a UY. Some say it doesn't matter, its only for accounting reasons. UY does matter. July is the only month that my family can travel in this summer. We have a August UY. We are out of 2012 points so we will have to borrow 2013. We are not going to take the trip because due to a possible cancellation, we might lose our points.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Sept would probably work better with your desired months of travel. That way, if you book your trip for Dec, but cannot go, you still have time to bank the points or rebook before they expire. If you have a Dec UY and travel in October, but have to cancel 31 days out, you are past your banking period and must reschedule a trip to end before Dec 1.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We travel between Oct and May. We purchased an Oct UY and it works great for us. An Oct UY would not work as well for travel in Jun, Jul, Aug and Sep.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
RipperSB
Earning My Ears

As suggested in PassPorter's DVC guide "The important thing to know when deciding on the best Use Year for you is that you must bank unused points at least four months before the end of your Use Year. For this reason, the Disney Vacation Club recommends you pick a Use Year that ends during the time of year you are least likely to go on vacation."

'Por Favor Mantengase Alejado de las Puertas'
RipperSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

I'd change that to Aug, Sept or Oct and not the December for all of the reasons mentioned above. Dec would actually be one of the worst UY's if you plan to regularly travel in Oct. June would be better than Dec also.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer

Thank you, I have called my guide and told him we would prefer Sept or Oct use year..
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: