DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
ScootScharfer
Earning My Ears

Am I missing something on AKV One Bedrooms

We are thinking about purchasing at AKV and I had a question because I can't seem to square some of the information that I am receiving so I thought I would go to the ones that know.

In reviewing the DVC Resource Center sticky I noticed the following in the room distribution for AKV:

AKV - 46 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 140 Dedicated 2BR villas - 250 Lockoffs - 22 GVs. 134 villas within Jambo House at AKL (46 Dedicated Studios, 82 Lockoff 2BRs, 6 GVs) and 324 villas in Kidani Village (140 Dedicated 2BRs, 168 Lockoff 2BRs, 16 GVs) for a total of 458 Villas / 708 Max. Available

The way that I would envision us travelling we would most like to have a 1BR rather than a studio because we cook meals in. Although 1BRs are on the point chart it appears that AKV does not have any. Is that true? Are all of the 1 BR's the other side of a lockoff? Does that mean anything in terms of room quality, location, etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
ScootScharfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

A 2-bedroom lock-off is a Studio and a 1-bedroom with an interior connecting door. They can be reserved as either a 2-bedroom or broken out and reserved as a studio and a 1-bedroom.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I know there are some DVC properties with a handful of dedicated 1BR's but for the most part, all 1BR's are attached to a studio to make a lock-off 2BR.

I had a "duh" moment when we were in our 1BR value at Jambo house and I went through the kitchen cupboards. I thought it was funny that our room had an occupancy max of 4 but we had service for 8...DUH! I was in the kitchen of what could have been a 2BR. Of course, silly me...I verbalized my thoughts and DH was quick to point out my moment of stupidity.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
ScootScharfer
Earning My Ears

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

If cooking in your villa is a priority, then I would seriously consider Bay Lake Tower. The kitchen has nicer upgrades, such as stainless steel appliances.
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Make sure that you check to see if the connecting door is locked between the one bedroom and the studio. I remember a post a couple of years ago that the one bedroom guest came home and the studio guest was using their kitchen.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootScharfer View Post
Are all of the 1 BR's the other side of a lockoff? Does that mean anything in terms of room quality, location, etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
In the resorts that have dedicated 1BRs, the size and layout are the same as the lockoffs, other than a few rooms here and there that are laid out differently due to their location within the building.

The big difference I've noticed between dedicated 1BRs and lockoffs is that the dedicated 1BRs tend to be quieter since you don't have a connecting door to the studio next door. In some resorts the connecting door is in the living area and you can sometimes hear people talking in the room next door.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
ScootScharfer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMountain77 View Post
If cooking in your villa is a priority, then I would seriously consider Bay Lake Tower. The kitchen has nicer upgrades, such as stainless steel appliances.
Thanks for the heads up. It is a priority for us so I will add that to my list as we are also considering BLT even though the initial investment is greater. We are going to check out BLT, AKV and probably SSR and then make a decision.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootScharfer View Post
Thanks for the heads up. It is a priority for us so I will add that to my list as we are also considering BLT even though the initial investment is greater. We are going to check out BLT, AKV and probably SSR and then make a decision.
The kitchen appliances don't matter to us as long as they work. We don't live there we vacation there. BLT has IMO an issue with the quality and durability of the finishes and furniture. Right after the resort was opened we noticed wear and tear greater than what we see at other older resorts. The dues at BLT have had a 12% plus increase during the last 2 years.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The kitchen appliances don't matter to us as long as they work. We don't live there we vacation there.
I agree. Stainless appliances don't get the food cooked better! And in a few years they'll look just as outdated as an avocado-green fridge does.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: