Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #31
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming 68 View Post
Genevieve that is a way cool idea! I'm sure that not too many people even think about that. I would think that it would be hard to see the fireworks. I'll take your word for it and scope it out during the day.
The biggest fireworks, the ones that go off behind the Castle are definitely obstructed by the branches of the tree. But you do have a perfect view of the Castle from the side, and a great view of the fireworks that are shot from the Castle itself.

DH and I also really enjoyed watching the fireworks from inside the Castle at CRT! There's one table for two right by the window overlooking Fantasyland. Most of the families cleared out before Wishes so they could find a spot on Main Street, but our server promised us we wouldn't be disappointed if we stayed--and she was right! Again, it isn't the same experience as watching from the front of the Castle, but it really felt like the show was just for us. So that's another option if you can snag a late dinner ADR. CRT is used to handling proposals, too, so the CMs would probably be willing to help you out if you ask.

Wherever you choose to pop the question, make sure you come back and share the story with us!
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
G719
Mouseketeer

Someone proposed at the wishes dessert party that we were at last June. The photopass photographer took a bunch of pictures for them and everyone there clapped and congratulated them.
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
jmartin42
Earning My Ears

Well, I just got into the dessert party for late April on March 4th, and I had a travel agent checking daily. I also checked daily just in case. I had her arrange a bday cake for DH during breakfast one day. You can do that kind of thing by calling the restaurant or the reservation number (not sure which). Since the dessert party is at a restaurant, I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to help you out, maybe even hook up a photopass photographer. Disney is good at magic. Plus its a dessert party so they could probably get a special dessert. I think anyway you do it will be wonderful. Congrats to you and your to be.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #34
Prince Charming 68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
The biggest fireworks, the ones that go off behind the Castle are definitely obstructed by the branches of the tree. But you do have a perfect view of the Castle from the side, and a great view of the fireworks that are shot from the Castle itself.

DH and I also really enjoyed watching the fireworks from inside the Castle at CRT! There's one table for two right by the window overlooking Fantasyland. Most of the families cleared out before Wishes so they could find a spot on Main Street, but our server promised us we wouldn't be disappointed if we stayed--and she was right! Again, it isn't the same experience as watching from the front of the Castle, but it really felt like the show was just for us. So that's another option if you can snag a late dinner ADR. CRT is used to handling proposals, too, so the CMs would probably be willing to help you out if you ask.

Wherever you choose to pop the question, make sure you come back and share the story with us!
Thanks again Genevieve! I just emailed the ( wdw.crt.special.events@disney.com ) mailbox with either suggestions for the CRT Dinner or the Wishes Dessert party...

A view from inside the castle...interesting...

And I will come back and post...heck I'll invite everyone to come and watch...once I figure out where. Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Thanks!

Last edited by Prince Charming 68; 03-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Prince Charming 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #35
Prince Charming 68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by G719 View Post
Someone proposed at the wishes dessert party that we were at last June. The photopass photographer took a bunch of pictures for them and everyone there clapped and congratulated them.
Thanks G719, Could you tell if they had it coordinated with the CMs? Did they have a special table for viewing...or is it the luck of the draw?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
G719
Mouseketeer

We didn't know the people. We just happened to be there but it was a nice way to propose. They may have coordinated it since they were in the front row and the photopass photographer was there to snap pictures. Not sure who you would contact at WDW to help you out but someone will surely chime in with advice.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #37
Prince Charming 68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin42 View Post
Well, I just got into the dessert party for late April on March 4th, and I had a travel agent checking daily. I also checked daily just in case. I had her arrange a bday cake for DH during breakfast one day. You can do that kind of thing by calling the restaurant or the reservation number (not sure which). Since the dessert party is at a restaurant, I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to help you out, maybe even hook up a photopass photographer. Disney is good at magic. Plus its a dessert party so they could probably get a special dessert. I think anyway you do it will be wonderful. Congrats to you and your to be.
Thanks JMartin, I emailed Disney planners to see how they could help out with CRT or Wishes Dessert. I intend to do a cake and more... Please let me know how it goes for you and your DH for his Bday. I won't be there until June so I'll definitely take your advice.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #38
tifaas
Mouseketeer

There have been so many wonderful ideas already thrown out here. I'm another that would vote for the dessert party. I know when we went in Jan of 2012, they had a photopass person taking pictures before the show started. The castle was changing colors and we got some of our best shots in front of the castle by them. You could definitely set it up with the photopass person when you hand them the card, you could flash the ring possibly really quick so they know whats about to go down. I am pretty sure they will be quick at capturing the pics pretty fast.

You could also pretend that you are going to get another plate of food and stop by and let them know when you come up with your girl that you will be popping the question so they know ahead of time to capture the moment for you. Whatever you do, I hope your "Princess" is truly surprised and y'all have a magical trip.

Previous DCL:
Jan 4th - Disney Magic - Balcony room

Previous Resort Stays:
May 1st - May 5th, 2013 - CBR
Jan 22nd - Jan 29th, 2012 - CSR
July 24th - July 27th, 2011 - AKL
tifaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #39
CJJenkins
I say Captain, do you hear something?

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but proposing during the fireworks isn't anything new or creative in my opinion. I think someone near me has been proposed to probably half the times I have been to the MK. If someone wants the whole reaction in front of everyone and that kid of attention, it is good I guess. I didn't read this entire thread so I don't know if anyone has suggested anything similar to this but If I were going to propose, I would book one of the first morning breakfasts at Crystal Palace. This gives you the chance to walk through the park before it is open. You could walk to the circle right in front of the castle. Look at the castle and the partners statue. Right before you start walking to CP you can pop the question. You can tell the people when you make your reservation that you will be proposing and they will have something special for you at the restaurant and probably announce it to everyone. Then you have the whole day in the park together. Again, not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just know that if I were to do it I would want it to be something a little more unique and personal. And honestly she would probably expect it less in the morning than during the fireworks. Just my opinion.

CJJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #40
staceymarie
Mouseketeer

Didn't read the whole thread but has anyone suggested California Grill? It's on top of Contemporary resort and you can go out onto a balcony to see the fireworks. Might be less crowded than the fireworks in the park. I do like the Desert party idea though too. It's not too crowded and you can do it when Tinkerbelle flys over!!!
August 2011--Wilderness Lodge
April 2012-Contemporary Resort
August 2012-Contemporary AGAIN!!
Wilderness Lodge! April 15-19, 2013
ASMO December 1, 2014-one day stay
Up Next--ASMO 3/14/14 and CSR 3/15-3/18/14
Then...Wilderness Lodge! August 23-28, 2014
staceymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #41
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

My fiance proposed after the Wishes fireworks right before the "Kiss Goodnight" on Feb 10, 2011. The Kiss Goodnight is like the official ending to the day and usually occurs about 30-45 after park closing. It was perfect because we were right in front of the castle and we were completely alone except for about 5 people and these 5 people were just in the area, not close to us at all.

It was our first night there and a friend of my mom's had told us about this Kiss Goodnight because we had never heard of it before. The park closed at 8 that night so we decided to stay. We were waiting in front of the castle for it to start when the park emptied out. We were really the only ones there, sitting on a park bench in front of the castle. Every now and then workers would walk past and there were a handful of people at the bottom corner of the castle but that was it. Finally, I got sick of waiting so I suggested leaving. That's when DF got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! I said YES and we went to get a pic taken when the Kiss Goodnight started. It was peeeeeeerfect timing! And it was great because I always wanted to be proposed to in front of the castle but I never wanted 50 billion people staring at me!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #42
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Donald, Buzz, & Minnie, That looks like BLT is a monorail ride to the Contempoary and then a walk to BLT. Definitely worth considering. I'm sure I could plead my case and "grease" the lobby host That's another hip pocket idea for me.
Cross the Top of the World lounge off your list. No amount of "greasing" the CM will get you in. You have to be a DVC member staying on points to get in. I saw a couple who are DVC members but were staying at POR on a cash reservation not allowed access because of the rules. You won't get in.

Quote:
Thanks Aurora Rora, Yes, the Wishes Desert buffet is a top contender and I plan on doing that even if I propose earlier in the day. I just thought that a proposal at night right before the fireworks show would be a wonderful way to top of an already memorable day.

I looked up the CRT breakfast, that looks great too. I'm just not sure breakfast is right. I did see that the CRT has a Special Engagement Dinner package...I'm going to email the planner to find out more info.

Thanks for the GREAT suggestion!!
I got proposed to at CRT breakfast and it was WONDERFUL! A couple of things that work in its favor:

*If you go through the Disney Weddings engagement dept., they'll set up the whole thing -- glass slipper, "surprise" dessert, a Photopass photographer (we have more than 100 pictures from the proposal).
*June is HOT at Disney, proposing in the morning means you both won't be sweaty, dripping messes when it happens.
*You have the whole day to celebrate. We spent most of the rest of the day taking pictures all throughout the MK in between phone calls to friends and family.
*I've always loved the castle, but after getting engaged inside? I'm an even bigger teary mess when I look at it.

Good luck! Whatever you come up with will be magical!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #43
Block Island
Earning My Ears

Where are you staying? Maybe they can help with some ideas or to pull some strings. I would do it at the beginning of the trip so you are not thinking about it the whole time and possibly not enjoying your time worrying about losing the ring! Plus then you can enjoy the trip as an "engaged" couple. I can't imagine anyone would think this is cheesy or hokey -- definitely not on this site. Best of luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #44
Prince Charming 68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJenkins View Post
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but proposing during the fireworks isn't anything new or creative in my opinion. I think someone near me has been proposed to probably half the times I have been to the MK. If someone wants the whole reaction in front of everyone and that kid of attention, it is good I guess. I didn't read this entire thread so I don't know if anyone has suggested anything similar to this but If I were going to propose, I would book one of the first morning breakfasts at Crystal Palace. This gives you the chance to walk through the park before it is open. You could walk to the circle right in front of the castle. Look at the castle and the partners statue. Right before you start walking to CP you can pop the question. You can tell the people when you make your reservation that you will be proposing and they will have something special for you at the restaurant and probably announce it to everyone. Then you have the whole day in the park together. Again, not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just know that if I were to do it I would want it to be something a little more unique and personal. And honestly she would probably expect it less in the morning than during the fireworks. Just my opinion.
Thanks CJ, Constructive feedback is what I am looking for. I definitely am not looking to propose to my girlfriend just to get a reaction from the crowd. The whole purpose of the thread was to inquire about suggestions for a nice romantic spot, that is relatively secluded during Wishes. The crystal palace early in the morning is a good suggestion that I have not considered. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbuzz&minnie View Post
This is probably a long shot, but...

DVC members are currently (until Dec, 2014 I think) being allowed to go to the top of Bay Lake Towers to see the fireworks. Could you plead your case to the person who mans the desk in the lobby of BLT ahead of time to see if you and your girlfriend might be allowed to go up one night?

There's a really nice view of the fireworks from the balcony, with the music and story piped in. It's a long-distance view, but still really pretty. There will be a lot of people, but it will be much easier to find a little privacy and I think would be very romantic.

Maybe in a few years, you can buy a few DVC points and take your wife and children to stay at BLT Towers!
Or the beach at Poly. Beach...nighttime...fireworks. Romantic? hello!

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
castle, engagement, fireworks, strategy, viewing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: