Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #31
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy
 
John VN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fl
Posts: 4,343

Some swimming tips including sighting.....http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #32
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Hungry GReen Hippo: Sighting means looking for bouys etc in the water while you swim. It means picking a point in front of you and swimming towards it. The breath with freestyle is to the side, you have to learn to look forward every so many breaths and stay in line.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #33
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 2,954

I just signed up for my first sprint tri last night! The swim will be in warm water in July but I'm looking at another race for June in Lake Ontario. I don't want to buy a wetsuit yet so I'm looking at renting one. Opinion on sleeves or no sleeves?
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #34
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
I just signed up for my first sprint tri last night! The swim will be in warm water in July but I'm looking at another race for June in Lake Ontario. I don't want to buy a wetsuit yet so I'm looking at renting one. Opinion on sleeves or no sleeves?
No sleeves, the sleeves are harder to rip off in transition and hinder your range of motion in the water. Water temps above a certain number wetsuits are not legal. You might want to look into if this race is typically wet suit legal or not.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 2,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
No sleeves, the sleeves are harder to rip off in transition and hinder your range of motion in the water. Water temps above a certain number wetsuits are not legal. You might want to look into if this race is typically wet suit legal or not.
Thanks for the info! I watched a video of last year's race and 97% of the participants are wearing wetsuits. I think the temp of the lake is still ridiculously cold then so they are approved to wear.
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
tiberius
DIS Veteran
 
tiberius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 3,934

It's good to see the tri thread resurrected for another year!

Betsy--So sorry about your injury. I hope all the rehab goes well.

I'm also coming off a late year injury last October that killed the rest of my year. Fortunately I've been able to return to training. I may have lost my spring running races but tri season looks to be on schedule. Thus far my race schedule includes the Galveston 70.3 in early April, s sprint tri in early May, IM Texas in mid-May, hopefully another sprint in early July and the USAT Age Group race in Milwaukee in August.

I'm also in the market for a wetsuit. I no longer fit the sleeveless I bought a few years back and rented for one race last year. I'm considering renting again through an online rental vs buying online. For those looking for a wetsuit discount code, I came across this earlier: http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/slp/ironman/
__________________
Richard



Sometimes you gotta to create what you want to be a part of. -- Allison Maloney (1988 - 2009)

Last edited by tiberius; 03-16-2013 at 09:31 AM.
tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #37
Duanerice
DIS Veteran
 
Duanerice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft Myers Florida
Posts: 1,017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
No sleeves, the sleeves are harder to rip off in transition and hinder your range of motion in the water.
I'd vote the other way. Always wear full sleeves. If you can wear a wet suit get the most bang for your buck. I take the top off while running to T1 so I really do not lose any time pulling off the sleeves.

You do need the right fit or the shoulders will feel constrictive. Mine is a cheap Xterra and the shoulders are fine. A lot of people never get the suit pulled up far enough so it pulls on their shoulders.

Above all, you need to be comfortable so get what works for you.

Riachrd, so good to see you back.
Duane
__________________
New Orleans 70.3 April 2013
Haines City 70.3 May 2013
Austin 70.3 October 2013
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #38
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanerice View Post
I'd vote the other way. Always wear full sleeves. If you can wear a wet suit get the most bang for your buck. I take the top off while running to T1 so I really do not lose any time pulling off the sleeves.

You do need the right fit or the shoulders will feel constrictive. Mine is a cheap Xterra and the shoulders are fine. A lot of people never get the suit pulled up far enough so it pulls on their shoulders.

Above all, you need to be comfortable so get what works for you.

Riachrd, so good to see you back.
Duane
I view running out of the water into transition part of transition. I just find the sleeves annoying. Hell the whole wet suit annoys me in all honesty.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy
 
John VN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fl
Posts: 4,343

Well, gotta say I am a little upset right now. Have my first 70.3 on Sunday and had a trip+fall=face plant during a jog on Saturday. Gash on lower left eyebrow, skinned knuckles, left shoulder impact with road rash and wrenching of neck that I broke 2 years ago next month. The tingling is worsening in fingers of left hand from the pinched nerve. Tried a little swim yesterday and my shot right shoulder was not good. It's tough being a little older (maybe a lot) than most.

Anyway, the barn door and fence gate are closed so it will be what it will be. Latest weather was for 80's and increasing chances of rain so that stinks also.

I am sooooo looking forward to a great weekend. Really, I am.

I have both sleeved and sleeveless so I will test the water on Friday and Saturday. Might warm up a little with afternoon temps. in the 80's.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #40
Duanerice
DIS Veteran
 
Duanerice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft Myers Florida
Posts: 1,017

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Well, gotta say I am a little upset right now. Have my first 70.3 on Sunday and had a trip+fall=face plant during a jog on Saturday. Gash on lower left eyebrow, skinned knuckles, left shoulder impact with road rash and wrenching of neck that I broke 2 years ago next month. The tingling is worsening in fingers of left hand from the pinched nerve. Tried a little swim yesterday and my shot right shoulder was not good. It's tough being a little older (maybe a lot) than most.

Anyway, the barn door and fence gate are closed so it will be what it will be. Latest weather was for 80's and increasing chances of rain so that stinks also.

I am sooooo looking forward to a great weekend. Really, I am.

I have both sleeved and sleeveless so I will test the water on Friday and Saturday. Might warm up a little with afternoon temps. in the 80's.
Ugh! My greatest fear of training, getting hurt right before a race. Good luck John.
Duane
__________________
New Orleans 70.3 April 2013
Haines City 70.3 May 2013
Austin 70.3 October 2013
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
Duanerice
DIS Veteran
 
Duanerice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft Myers Florida
Posts: 1,017

For those looking for a wetsuit, Xterra is having a sale of 57% off and free shipping. Also includes a 30 return policy.

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index....er-triathlete/

When I bought my first wetsuit I ordered the full sleeve knowing that if I didn't like it I had 30 days to return for a sleeveless. Easy way to find out if it is good for you.

enjoy,
Duane
__________________
New Orleans 70.3 April 2013
Haines City 70.3 May 2013
Austin 70.3 October 2013
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #42
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Well, gotta say I am a little upset right now. Have my first 70.3 on Sunday and had a trip+fall=face plant during a jog on Saturday. Gash on lower left eyebrow, skinned knuckles, left shoulder impact with road rash and wrenching of neck that I broke 2 years ago next month. The tingling is worsening in fingers of left hand from the pinched nerve. Tried a little swim yesterday and my shot right shoulder was not good. It's tough being a little older (maybe a lot) than most.

Anyway, the barn door and fence gate are closed so it will be what it will be. Latest weather was for 80's and increasing chances of rain so that stinks also.

I am sooooo looking forward to a great weekend. Really, I am.

I have both sleeved and sleeveless so I will test the water on Friday and Saturday. Might warm up a little with afternoon temps. in the 80's.
I hope you feel better by the race. Like another poster said my worst fear is injury or in my case flare as well right before a race. Uhg I flare with stress so you can guess what happens from time to time right before a race. Nothing more fun than racing on prednisone.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 2,954

I was able to get in to the IronGirl in our area for August. So excited! I didn't pull the trigger in December, then it sold out in a day. So I e-mailed them about having a waitlist. They said they were waiting to hear back from some running groups for numbers so I didn't think I had a chance. I guess they had an opening!
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #44
Duanerice
DIS Veteran
 
Duanerice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft Myers Florida
Posts: 1,017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
I was able to get in to the IronGirl in our area for August. So excited! I didn't pull the trigger in December, then it sold out in a day. So I e-mailed them about having a waitlist. They said they were waiting to hear back from some running groups for numbers so I didn't think I had a chance. I guess they had an opening!
Sweet! I hear they are great races.
__________________
New Orleans 70.3 April 2013
Haines City 70.3 May 2013
Austin 70.3 October 2013
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #45
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion
 
Stitch_lover_Sith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waipahu, HI
Posts: 352

Tonight I fly off to my first triathlon this year. I get to do packet pick up day of. Looking forward to it and will post the race report here.
__________________
Trips Planned
July 2013 Ironman Lake Placid September 2013 Dumbo Double Dare
Stitch_lover_Sith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.