Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

So before the disboards I never even knew about table service/ADR's and when I asked my friend who had been to Disney World four times if she knew about it she said she had no idea so I basically started from scratch. As my parents really have no idea about Disney World my mum left the planning all to me. That included ADR's. My mum never gave me price limits so I had no idea where to start. I decided to go with the cheaper ones with the better reviews.

ADR's
Coral Reef- I just had to even if it is a little bit more pricey plus anything with animals and my sister will love it.
The Plaza
Sci-Fi I'm excited to try this not for the food but the theming!
Tutto Italia I had to stick Italian food somewhere as its my family's favorite food! I've only seen good reviews so I'm excited for this place to.
Crystal Palace for Breakfast though this might get cancelled or my dad might just skip this one. But my sister the 17 yr old one really wanted Breakfast with Winnie the Pooh >.<

96 Days

Ellsbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Since you aren't that familiar with the ADRs, I will give you some unsolicited advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsbells View Post
ADR's
Coral Reef- I just had to even if it is a little bit more pricey plus anything with animals and my sister will love it.
Coral reef is decent food, not great, but worth it for the view. One piece of advice, show up 20 minutes early for your ADR, and then when you check in, tell them that you want a table on the lower tier near the tanks, and that you are willing to wait. You may have to wait longer, up to an hour possibly but probably not that long, last time we waited maybe 20 minutes, the time before that was 45. There are 3 tiers and we've sat both on the lower tier and on the very upper tier, and the upper tier to put it blunty just sucks. Trust me, if your paying the money to eat there, get the "good seats". They don't cost any more.

Quote:
The Plaza.
Good choice on a budget. Reasonable prices and good food. Plus the desserts are ice cream from the ice cream shop next door. (Edy's yum!)

Quote:
Sci-Fi I'm excited to try this not for the food but the theming!
Love the SCI-FI!!! Good choice! Also not too expensive and good food. Get a milkshake, they are amazing! Also when you check in, tell them you want a car. Don't let them sit you at one of the tables in the back. The wait for a car isn't usually any longer, the restaurant is like 90 % cars, but they might try and stick you at a table. Tell them NO WAY!! With 5 of you, you should get a car to yourself (they hold 6).

Quote:
Tutto Italia I had to stick Italian food somewhere as its my family's favorite food! I've only seen good reviews so I'm excited for this place to.
We avoid Italian food at Disney cause it's generally not so good, but I have heard Tutto is excellent, though haven't tried it.

Quote:
Crystal Palace for Breakfast though this might get cancelled or my dad might just skip this one. But my sister the 17 yr old one really wanted Breakfast with Winnie the Pooh >.<
Far and away our favorite character buffet. Expensive, but they all are.

They all look like good choices to me!

However, I am going to give you an added recommendation, especially if your sis is into animals. One place that's a bit "off the beaten path" but if your family likes Indian-inspired food is "Saana", which is at the Animal Kingdom Hotel's Kidani Lodge. The restaurant is beautiful and sits right on the Savannah, so you can watch the animals while you dine, this is the only place in WDW where you can do this. Prior to your meal, you can walk out onto the Savannah (There's a viewing area that juts out into the middle of the Savannah right near the restaurant entrance.) and get pretty close to the Giraffes, Zebras, Ostrichs, etc. The food is great, probably the best non-signature meal we've had, and the prices are reasonable (for Disney anyways - probably $15-25 US), but again you should like that style of food. Check out the menus here on the DIS under "Dining", you can see every menu for every restaurant.

It's actually the perfect way to end a day spent at DAK as it's less than 3 minutes drive from the park. Just again make sure to request a table with a view of the savannah. Some are set back quite a ways, and its more fun to look for animals while you dine. We've eaten there twice, and never waited more than 20 minutes for the prime tables. (I think most people don't think to ask.)

And if you go there, be sure to check out the toilets that are for the restaurant right by the entrance. I know that sounds crazy, but they're the most beautiful toilets on property.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

However, I am going to give you an added recommendation, especially if your sis is into animals. One place that's a bit "off the beaten path" but if your family likes Indian-inspired food is "Saana", which is at the Animal Kingdom Hotel's Kidani Lodge. The restaurant is beautiful and sits right on the Savannah, so you can watch the animals while you dine, this is the only place in WDW where you can do this. Prior to your meal, you can walk out onto the Savannah (There's a viewing area that juts out into the middle of the Savannah right near the restaurant entrance.) and get pretty close to the Giraffes, Zebras, Ostrichs, etc. The food is great, probably the best non-signature meal we've had, and the prices are reasonable (for Disney anyways - probably $15-25 US), but again you should like that style of food. Check out the menus here on the DIS under "Dining", you can see every menu for every restaurant.

It's actually the perfect way to end a day spent at DAK as it's less than 3 minutes drive from the park. Just again make sure to request a table with a view of the savannah. Some are set back quite a ways, and its more fun to look for animals while you dine. We've eaten there twice, and never waited more than 20 minutes for the prime tables. (I think most people don't think to ask.)

And if you go there, be sure to check out the toilets that are for the restaurant right by the entrance. I know that sounds crazy, but they're the most beautiful toilets on property.
Thank you so so so much. I booked an adr for Saana! I would never have known about the place and after I looked it up I just had to book it! Looks like a great location and the menu looks yummy
All this advice. Thank you so much! Yeah I am slightly worried about The Corral because of the reviews I have read but I'm just going to send a link to all the ADR's to my family and see if they want to do them all. If not I will cancel that one!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

94 days
I don't really have anything new to report on so far. Though I did get a chance to talk to the family and my little sister is so excited for our meal at Saana! Thanks for the tip
My Mum and Dad might skip the breakfast at The Crystal Palace which is fine with me it will be nice to spend time with the siblings :D
I have started collecting bits and pieces ready for the trip. My challenge if money allows it is to have Disney themed top for each day. I don't think I'm doing to bad at the moment for being on an Au Pair wage

Hope everyone had a great start to the week

Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
nolajax
nola disney lover

LOVE your spreadsheet. Mine is quite similar.

'94 - CBR; '95-9: 4 school trips-offsite; '08 - offsite; '08 - Poly; '10 - Poly; '11 - ASSp
nolajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

Ahh my mum has thrown a kink into the works by saying she thought we could do two days at Universal...She never mentioned this before! I have no idea where to put it on the chart
I'm thinking to just leave it out and see what happens the second week?
I think by then we'll have favorite parks and what not so we can go on from there.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolajax View Post
LOVE your spreadsheet. Mine is quite similar.
Thanks...It's never a finished product though! I find myself re-tweaking it on a daily basis!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ahh my mum has thrown a kink into the works by saying she thought we could do two days at Universal...She never mentioned this before! I have no idea where to put it on the chart
I'm thinking to just leave it out and see what happens the second week?
I think by then we'll have favorite parks and what not so we can go on from there.
I agree - leave it as an option instead of the third MK day. You'll have had two days at MK by the time you get to your IoA day, you may discover you like Universal a lot and want to check out their 2nd park. (You would probably have to add the 2nd day onto the ticket before you leave IoA that day though to pay the lower 2 day ticket price.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
nolajax
nola disney lover

Quote:

Thanks...It's never a finished product though! I find myself re-tweaking it on a daily basis!
This is so true. I use google doc's and constantly update mine on my phone as I make changes or have ideas. Lol.

'94 - CBR; '95-9: 4 school trips-offsite; '08 - offsite; '08 - Poly; '10 - Poly; '11 - ASSp
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
nolajax
nola disney lover

I've done IoA and Univ in one day before. It depends on what interests you. Also some of the rides at both are not body size friendly so if you have any larger guests with you they literally may not be able to ride. (I find this frustrating.)

However of its your first time at both and you're interested in all of it you can easily spend a whole day in each park.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
This is so true. I use google doc's and constantly update mine on my phone as I make changes or have ideas. Lol.
Oh, that never changes. I'm planning my ninth trip, and though its certainly become easier as we've learned the touring style we prefer, I do find myself going over it for several months. I do usually find that I arrive at a place where the tweaking no longer improves the plan, (one spot gets better while another spot gets worse) and so usually do settle at some point.

Though I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, please keep it in mind:
1) Having a plan is always better than not.
2) There is no right or perfect plan.
3) A plan is fine, but be flexible in the moment.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #27
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Oh, that never changes. I'm planning my ninth trip, and though its certainly become easier as we've learned the touring style we prefer, I do find myself going over it for several months. I do usually find that I arrive at a place where the tweaking no longer improves the plan, (one spot gets better while another spot gets worse) and so usually do settle at some point.

Though I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, please keep it in mind:
1) Having a plan is always better than not.
2) There is no right or perfect plan.
3) A plan is fine, but be flexible in the moment.
Yeah I think I'm at that moment now where if I tweak it just a tiny bit it messes up another day...I'm just going to leave it for a few days then come back to it and see!
The plan isn't set in stone. More than anything I just want us to stick to the parks set out on the plan as they are based on crowd levels but we shall see

12 weeks and 6 days to go!
Feels like its years away.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've done IoA and Univ in one day before. It depends on what interests you. Also some of the rides at both are not body size friendly so if you have any larger guests with you they literally may not be able to ride. (I find this frustrating.)

However of its your first time at both and you're interested in all of it you can easily spend a whole day in each park.
I did read that somewhere. I am hoping though by summer my family won't have to worry about that. My mum has set out on a lets get healthy for Disney World diet and so far lost two stone and I've changed my lifestyle for a more healthier one the last few months and lost 50 so hoping all will be well!
I think we will split it into two. Though IOA I am only really interested in TWWOHP though Universal looks a lot of fun! I love my rollercoasters
Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Ellsbells
Mouseketeer

Its been a few days since I was last on here
But my host kids are on Spring Break so I've been keeping them entertained!
Went to the Disney Store today and was sensible and put money on a gift card...I think this will help me with saving money for the trip!
Going to take the second day at Universal my friend was telling me about the rides and I have to go give them a go!
Hope everyone is having a great week!
I did have a question but I can't remember it right now. I will post it if I remember!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Agree with the two days for universal. Especially in summer, one won't be enough. I think as long as you have two days for each Disney park you will be fine.

Tags
ptr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: