Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush View Post
My DH insists on DP too. He likes knowing everything's been paid upfront. Adds to his ability to relax. Fine. Calm husbands are worth a LOSS to me
I totally agree with this too! If having a convenience eliminates stress on a vacation, it's totally worth the $ even if it does cost more in the end.

For us the DDP does not work as well because we are more appetizer than dessert people. And while I will plan ahead in terms of making ADRs 180 days out, I won't have a clue what I actually want to eat until I sit down. Some days I might go for an entree, some days I may just get an app. and a salad. So for us we would never save money, and I'm fine just paying for our meals OOP to save money.

This is not dining related, but in May when we go on our cruise, we will stay at the Hyatt MCO the night before and use the DCL transfers so we can take advantage of the hotel's luggage transfer service. This is costing me a fortune compared to what I could pay for it if I went a cheaper route, but the convenience is worth the price on this one.

So to the OP, if your DH is happy and not stressing over it, I would say just go for it. Your vacation will be better for it. The only thing I would make sure he knows is what exactly is included, such as the need to pay OOP for appetizers and drinks, etc.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
MrsBoyer428
Mouseketeer

We went to DW in April/12 for our honeymoon and had the TSDP. We will not go back to Disney without it. I am very much the kind of person who will eat less, or order the cheapest thing on the menu just to save money. Knowing that it was all paid upfront and that I could order the Filet if I wanted to was awesome. JMO.
MrsBoyer428 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush
My DH insists on DP too. He likes knowing everything's been paid upfront. Adds to his ability to relax. Fine. Calm husbands are worth a LOSS to me
Exactly, lol! I briefly brought up the idea of NOT doing the DxDDP this time, and DH's reaction was not pretty. We may not come out much, if any, ahead with it, but not having to feel guilty about what he is ordering and face the sticker shock at every single meal is worth a LOT. A happy DH makes for a happier day all around

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
poohj80
Got Hunny?

We tried the dining plan once and my hubby hared it saying he felt like he was on food stamps having to count everything he ate.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
lovedworld
Mouseketeer

I don't think I would ever pay for the dining plan. We have had it when it was free and that was great, but I don't think it is worth it OOP. When I run the figures as you said you have, we would alway have to order the most expensive item on the menu and have dessert of course to make it worth it. Sometimes you don't really want dessert or sometimes you want to get the pasta instead of the steak. If you pay for the dining plan you will always be trying to get your moneys worth. Also I don't know about you but sometimes on vacation I find I just can't eat that much and if you have all ready paid for the food you will feel like you have to eat a big meal. Just get your gift cards for the price you would pay for the dining plan and that way your meals will be paid for in advance and you might come out ahead.
lovedworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush View Post
sometimes the DDP is worth it sometimes not. a happy, relaxed husband is SO worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamimia View Post
Go for the room only discount, put a credit card on your KTTW card, tell your husband you got the dining plan. Every time you pay for the meal hand them your KTTW card just as you would for dining plan. Then if you decide to do more counter service meals you won't feel guilty that you aren't using what you have paid for.
I don't recommend lying to your hubby. truth will out eventually, and it will ruin any future trips.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

I went back and forth on it a thousand times as well. Drove my dh batty. He also really liked the idea of the DDP not because we could really save money using it but he didn't want me pestering him about what he ordered and the fact that it is paid ahead of time is great. We also figured out that we could stretch 7 days into 8 days by sharing a couple of the meals. So in that way it saved a little money as well.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #23
nat8199
Mouseketeer

I go back and forth as to whether or not the DxDP will save us money or not, but DH wants to do it so we are going to. We tend to order apps, steaks, and desserts anyways. We are also going to so a character breakfast every morning and a signature dinner.

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 4 DS - 3 DS - 3
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I actually did the same thing when planning our last trip, My wonderful husband who is one of the most calm people I know, but will save a hard earned $, said get the DDP and be done with it, in an uncharacteristic snappy tone! It was his vacation too, and having the DDP, even if was a break even, meant more to him, than having to look at the cost of every meal.

We had a lovely vacation, everyone was able to order anything they wanted, whether it was the most or least expensive thing on the menu without any question as to how much it would cost.

If having the DDP means that much to your DH, let him have this one.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedworld View Post
If you pay for the dining plan you will always be trying to get your moneys worth. Also I don't know about you but sometimes on vacation I find I just can't eat that much and if you have all ready paid for the food you will feel like you have to eat a big meal.
This may be true for you but not for everyone. I like having everything prepaid. I felt no need to always eat the most expensive dish. When I wanted chicken, I ordered the chicken. And with all the walking I find that I am hungrier on vacation than I am at home.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

As a solo traveller, I have used the Dining plan on my last 3 trips. Platinum level twice and regular (1 qs/1ts) once. This time I am using the deluxe. Do I do it because it saves money? In the case of the Platinum, yes, it did save money, but with the regular and this time deluxe, I don't care if it saves me money or not.

With the Platinum, I was able to do things that I wouldn't have been able to do normally, because they were all paid for.. I swam with the dolphins, I did 4 backstage tours, and several signature dining/character meals. The dolphins and backstage tours are easily $150-$250 each.

The main thing with me and the dining plan is that I don't have to worry about paying for food or snacks. It's one MAJOR headache that's taken care of for me. I don't always eat the most expensive meal, but I figure that I would normally spend around $75-$100 (at Disney Prices) a day on food.. for me, that's about $600 less that I have to have the week of my trip.

I'll pre-pay for the convenience of not having to worry.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
dadofgoofy
Mouseketeer

No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamimia View Post
Go for the room only discount, put a credit card on your KTTW card, tell your husband you got the dining plan. Every time you pay for the meal hand them your KTTW card just as you would for dining plan. Then if you decide to do more counter service meals you won't feel guilty that you aren't using what you have paid for.
WOW! I could not believe this. I would never dream of doing this. Not only is it dishonest, but you've completely ignored what your husband wants. There are things that others in my family want in our vacation that I think are a bad idea, or money wasters, but I figure it is their vacation too, and everyone should get some of the things they want.
dadofgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #28
minerva78
Mouseketeer

Sorry - I've been away from the boards for a while and I didn't know so many people had posted since I was last up here!

I did decide that we'll go ahead and get the dining plan when we go. We're thinking of just doing a three night/two park day stay and taking a 4 day cruise afterwards, so considering I want to go to Chef Mickey, Akershus, and O'hana, I think we'll definitely get our money's worth on the dining plan. If it looks like it will be significantly cheaper to just do Disney, we may reconsider the cruise, but we'll still get the dining plan. There are so many expensive things I want to do (like the Fantasmic package, Boma, Crystal Palace, WPE) that I think we'll do good on the dining plan, and DH is really sold on the convenience of it. It will be more expensive to get tickets this way - unless we just get 2 day tickets which will be expensive anyway - but DH really wants it, and I want him to be happy since he really would rather just cruise. I wouldn't think of trying to deceive him - I don't believe in doing it and it would be too hard to keep up with, lol. Thanks for all of your input!
minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
Fivemuggles
Mouseketeer

Honestly, as others have said, if he wants it get it. Happy hubs is the best choice. We have a 13 yr old son who I can guarantee will order steak or something huge at each meal, and I do NOT want to have to deal with the sticker shock every single day when we get the bill for our family of 5 haha. Worth it just to get DDP. (We are hoping to get free dining when we go, but I ran the numbers anyway and we would be ahead about 150 dollars if we got the DDP vs. paying OOP)
Fivemuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
HerRoyalHighness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadofgoofy View Post
WOW! I could not believe this. I would never dream of doing this. Not only is it dishonest, but you've completely ignored what your husband wants. There are things that others in my family want in our vacation that I think are a bad idea, or money wasters, but I figure it is their vacation too, and everyone should get some of the things they want.
THIS. Why would I want to lie to my husband?

And even if it's exactly the same amount...or sheez, if it's $50 more in the end...let the man have his dining plan.

Simple request. Pick your battles.
HerRoyalHighness is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: