Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratthouse
I planned a trip in 3 weeks and managed to get reservations at Ohana, Le Cellier, and others. It was off-season....and it may have just been a fluke...but definitely worth trying. The trip overall was terrible because we all got sick, and my one year old refused to sleep (naps and nighttime), but that could have happened even if we'd planned the trip way in advance. It can be done and the memories are totally worth a little chaos!!
This is always one of our fears- getting sick on the trip. . So sorry that happened to you. We went in 2010 and on the day we flew in my FIL had a heart attack. He died the next day and we had to fly home right away. Worst trip ever and so now it's a constant fear that we will have something awful happen during a trip.
Vickilynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilynn42 View Post
So we have started to consider a trip in June of this year instead of year from now, but I was worried about being able to get it done properly in that short of time. It will all hinge on having enough money to go!
You'll be fine! We booked this February for April, and we got every reservation we wanted, and I am actually bored b/c most everything is done. I just have to buy new Crocs, moisture wicking socks, and contacts for hubby.

I have been throwing stuff into suitcases for the last month, so I just have to pack for realsies, do the last minute stuff, and make sure the kiddos are ready to stay at my mom's house for 9 days. Oh- and my brother is staying at my house b/c he lives at my mom's, and I am watching his cat until he buys a house, so I will have to get all that ready for him.

So I guess I still have some stuff to keep me busy, but all the planning fun is done, so it is boring for me. Don't know how I am going to make it until October or December of 2014 when my parents are willing to go back. 18-20 months is way too long.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Minnie222
Mouseketeer

1 week from plan to finish trip

We did it earlier this month.

It was a heavy snow day on Wednesday February 27. After an hour of snow shoveling, I felt like having a vacay.

Thursday morning, I casually looked up the flights and found reasonable ticket prices there. Then, I checked the crowd level and prices for staying on site at the Parks. Moderate crowd and everything looks ok.

Friday March 1, I went ahead and booked flights and accommodations, would be staying at the Pop Century. Also started planning which day to go where and booked the dining.

Saturday is packing day, and we were on flight to Orlando on Sunday morning.
For dining, we managed to book Fantasmic dinner package, CRT dinner (someone cancelled it last minute), Coral Reef dinner, and Hollywood and Vine character lunch. We were over the moon getting CRT!!!! I am not the kind of person to be able to book 180 days ahead.

The trip turned out perfect, and got to Epcot flower festival on Opening Day.

So, to answer your question, planning and booking take 1 day. From planning to finish of a trip: 1 week!
Minnie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
Minnie222
Mouseketeer

OP, if your trip is in June, you have plenty of time for a great trip!
Minnie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

2 hours.

We had a three day weekend with nothing planned. Called the husband and said lets fly to Disney - he said ok.

Had a blast! Was able to eat where we wanted no problem and got a moderate hotel.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
hineshm
4 the luv of Mickey

About 10 hours....lol We used to leave for Disney every Christmas Day and one year we decided not to. We were driving home from my Grandmother's house on Christmas day and started talking about what we would be doing in Disney this time of the day. All of the sudden we decided to go. Went home, booked a room, packed our bags and headed out the next morning. Everything was great. Of course we go so often, that we pretty much know "the drill". I am NOT a spur of the moment person, typically I plan for 1 year in advance, but we had a great time none the less.
hineshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

I'm shocked and inspired by some of your answers! Those are some short notice trips for sure and sound so exciting!! Due to finances we have to postpone our trip till March of 2014 which is a real bummer, but that gives me time to plan. We are hoping that we can talk my parents into coming this time- they have never been there- and my brother wants to come. So it could be a lot of fun.

I hope to be in a position to take a spontaneous trip like that someday. Right now I have three dogs, four cats, and six chickens that I have to find care for! So that kind of holds us back a bit!
Vickilynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
Jana49
Mmm! Dole Whips!

3 1/2 days!! It was great! We had saved for the tickets and resort, and were still saving for plane fare. Back in '93, on a Tuesday evening we decided to drive, instead, and left early on Saturday morning. I'll NEVER forget the excitement in our house while we packed, made arrangements, etc. Rooms ressies were changed from Dixieland to Port Orleans to accommodate us. It was our most fun trip ever!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
alexsmom12
Earning My Ears

Decided today to go in May!
alexsmom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
karenrevis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilynn42
And how well did it work out?
Once I booked a trip on Tuesday and we left on Saturday! We had AP's and I drove... Left at 1:30 am and arrived in Orlando at 11:30pm.... Did not tell the kids... Went to bed on Friday night at 6ish pm ... Told the kids I had a headache... Car had been packed during the day.... Woke up the oldest son at 1am and said- do you want to go to Disney? He said yes.... I said go wake up your sister and brothers we are leaving now.... My son woke up my daughter.... My daughters exact words were " go back to sleep Matthew, you are dreaming" lol I was in the doorway- I said no we are really going- get up! It was one of our best trips EVER!!!!! Planning a surprise trip again.... We leave in 28 days.... Only my daughter knows.... She is 18.... The others 15,14,13 and 10 have no clue!!!!!! All my Disney trips are great!!!!!!!
karenrevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
redfisher333
Earning My Ears

In 2011 my son was getting married at the Grand Floridian on April 3rd.. It was a special deal for $1995. They could only have 4 guest. They decided to invite no one since they could not invite everyone. I got fired from my job on March 31st with no warning. I called my wife on the way home and told her to pack up. We left the next day, drove to WDW, crashed their wedding and we all had one of the best weeks of our lives. They were thrilled someone showed up. I was actually making reservations on the mobile on the drive down. How is that for last minute?
redfisher333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

The night before for me. I live about 3 hours away and one Friday night around 8 or so, I decided to go down Saturday morning. I packed a bag, woke up early, and drove down. Didn't even book a hotel room until that afternoon when the Hotel Tonight app updated. I had to leave Epcot to go check in.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

One day. I booked the night before, drove down the next day.

But I was only staying for 2 nights, it was just me and I only booked 1 ADR the same night I booked Pop. So it was much easier than if I had the teens with me.

I had a great time and would do it again except for having to drive my husbands car. I hate his car. The seats are very uncomfortable compared to my comfy Highlander.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
kensethfan
P-p-p-lease say it's Disney time!

I think it was 6 days. Summer 2008, we had planned to take our then 6 and 8yo sons to COSI (great science museum in Columbus, OH) and then spend a couple of days at nearby Kings Island. DW reminded me that we had 3 days left on no expiration tickets to WDW, and asked if we might find a deal on a hotel near the world. Found that the Radisson LBV had just finished a renovation and was offering rooms for under $100/night. Since the tickets were already covered, we realized the difference in gas for a 200 vs. 2000 mile round trip was about the only difference.

Best part--we didn't tell the boys we were going to Florida instead. We got up at our usual 2:00a (usual for a drive to Orlando, not to Columbus) and piled the very sleepy kids in the van. About 30 miles from home, older son said, "Why are we driving south?" and then hit us with the most surprising words I think he's ever said:

"Are we going to Disney?" (Long pause.) "Oh, man...I really wanted to go to COSI!"

This boy loves WDW, but he really likes science, too. I had to spend a few minutes reminding him that EPCOT has a lot of science exhibits, and that they are just as hands-on as any science museum's. As you'd imagine, we all had a great time, but it was a litte dicey for a few early morning moments!

Last minute trips are awesome.

7/1975 MK (day trip) | 12/1986 | 3/1998 US (day trip) | 2/2004 | 7/2005 | 12/2006 Swan | 7-8/2008 | 6/2009 RPR (UO) | 2/2010 POFQ | 6/2012 | 5-6/2013 | Coming soon: 12/2014 CBR
kensethfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
JoshP
Earning My Ears

One week? Whoa! I'm with phillymummer and thought I was cutting it WAY too close with 3 months! I guess I've based planning off of my families previous trips which were planned 365+ days in advance and restaurant reservations were done exactly 180 days out. Only problems I had were reservations for restaurants (And we're going during a slow time!). Other than that, not too bad. Flights get high last minute, but 3 months out was fine.
JoshP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: