Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #91
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

So yesterday after viewing all my reservations, I finally decided to heed your advice and decide that the deluxe was way too much for me. I didn't mind going to all the restaurants but it seemed like we would constantly be heading to our next reservation and all the travel time that would be involved. I called reservations last night and switched to the regular dining plan. Here is my new plan:

Saturday - October 19th
Dinner: Planet Hollywood (we will use the $15 voucher for this one and pay OOP for anything we go over)

Sunday: October 20th - Hollywood Studios
Breakfast: Hollywood & Vine
Lunch: Counter Service
Dinner: Counter Service

Monday - October 21st - Epcot
Breakfast: Akershus
Lunch: Food & Wine Festival
Dinner: Counter Service

Tuesday - October 22nd - Disney Quest
Breakfast: Wolfgang Puck Express (OOP)
Lunch: T-Rex Café (OOP - we will most likely just get the appetizer sampler to share)
Dinner: Bongo's Cuban Café

Wednesday - October 23rd - Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Resort
Dinner: 'Ohana

Thursday - October 24th - Animal Kingdom
Breakfast: Tusker House
Dinner: Boma

Friday - October 25th - Open Park Day/Departure Day
Breakfast: Kona Café (OOP)
Dinner: Airport

I feel like I have so much more freedom now. I think it is a nice mix of counter service and sit down and we won't be rushing off to the next reservation. The best part was seeing my balance go down so much!

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #92
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Looks great! I agree that you have more freedom now, I think by the time you got each sit down meal finished, you would have very little park time before the next meal. Glad you got it figured out!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #93
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Looks great! I agree that you have more freedom now, I think by the time you got each sit down meal finished, you would have very little park time before the next meal. Glad you got it figured out!
It's funny because I didn't realize how much it was stressing me out until I finally called yesterday and downgraded the plan and than canceled some reservations. It was like this big weight was lifted from my shoulders that I didn't even know was there. I guess I was constantly trying to juggle getting the most value out of the plan versus actually getting to enjoy the parks. It was also starting to sound so tiring trying to get to so many reservations. I feel like I have a great balance now.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #94
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Hi Megan!!! I'm coming in for the planning! So excited to meet another Mainer on the boards. You sound like me with stalking Southwest, but I've only changed 3 times so far and all flying out of Portland. We used to fly out of Manchester, but the 3 hour drive home was just too much. I can't wait to continue reading about your plans!!!
Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #95
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Hi Megan!!! I'm coming in for the planning! So excited to meet another Mainer on the boards. You sound like me with stalking Southwest, but I've only changed 3 times so far and all flying out of Portland. We used to fly out of Manchester, but the 3 hour drive home was just too much. I can't wait to continue reading about your plans!!!
Hi Ann!!! I am so glad to hear from another Mainer Stalking southwest is my new obsession...it replaced planning my ADR's

Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #96
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Real Life Update

Hope you guys don't mind but I have a real life update. I wanted to share with you how Riley's birthday went. He turned 15 on 4/16. He was fortunate enough to be on school vacation so he had a nice day at home. My Mom came down to Portland from Dexter (about a 2 hour drive).

First they went to the mall to buy Riley an alarm clock. Riley has had issues getting up lately. In fact recently I had to leave him in the morning and he has had to walk to school. He was depending way too much on me to wake him up in the morning and he needs to learn what to do when he is in College. I have told him if he isn't upstairs and ready to go by 7:05, he is going to have to walk to school. This new alarm seems to be doing the trick.

Than they went to Olive Garden for lunch. They both love the all you can eat soup for lunch. It is a great bargain at only $4.99/person. I think Riley put away 3 bowls plus garlic bread....he really got his money's worth.

When I got home it was present time!!!!

Riley considers himself a "Bronie"...it is a group of high school/college age kids that like My Little Pony. I don't get it, but to be fair I am sure there tons of things my parents didn't get about me. Anyway, he wanted to open this one first (It was from Gabrian). He got a t-shirt and socks (I couldn't believe they make men's t-shirts and socks for My Little Pony )

This is Riley barely containing his excitement about his major present!!

I love Riley's polite about confused expression in this photo...it was like "um...thanks for a cork board for my birthday present"

This is him showing off his awesome board.

On the note it says "please flip over for your next clue". It was so funny because he kept flipping over the board to look for the clue. Finally Gabrian says "it's on the paper". Which is really funny because he didn't actually know that was what the clue meant.

Riley finally figured it out and read the next clue. Which was "please see 6-26-13 for the second part of your present". This is Gabrian trying to help him figure it out.

It took Riley about 2 seconds to figure it out...so much for me being so brilliant with the clues. Riley went right to the calendar.

This is Riley when he figured out we were going to see Bruno Mars in Boston on 6-26-13!!

When I got this present for Riley, I thought it would come completely out of left field and he would never even come close to guessing it. I am apparently a horrible secret keeper and give unintentional clues. Riley loves Dane Cook and will often work quotes from his performances into conversation (which is actually really funny and he does it really well. He is so funny watching you to see if you caught on to the reference). Anyway, the day before his birthday and the actual day I was listening to Dane Cook on my iPod at work and I was texting Riley random quotes from the different performances. He thought he was going to get tickets to see Dane Cook (sorry buddy...you are a little young for that ). So long story short, I felt bad that I unintentionally ruined the surprise.

Since I don't want to leave Gabrian out, I will leave you with a couple pictures of him. Here is enjoying some chocolate pudding.

This is Gabrian helping me shop for my birthday present. My mom bought me a gas grill on Saturday for my birthday. I was beyond excited....I have been wanting one for over 2 years now. These tractors were outside on our way into Lowes.

Last edited by Riles_and_Gabe; 04-27-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #97
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

So just for the fun of it I made some changes tonight...actually I had been debating it for the last couple of days. I have switched resorts. We are now staying at All Stars Resorts Movies in a preferred room. The walk with the Little Mermaid Rooms was just seeming to be too much and for the same price I could get a preferred room. I requested a Fantasia room poolside. Fingers crossed we will get it. I think Gabrian will like the theming of this hotel as well.

The other big change is that I cancelled our dining plan. The cost of paying off the package was getting to be too much for me. I may decide to add it back on later but for now this brings down the balance to a more manageable amount. My other thought is after I pay off the package, I can start putting aside money for each meal and if it is too much, I can cancel some of my reservations. The positive side of this is I can have complete freedom to eat whatever and wherever we want (well at least the places we have reservations too ).

So overall I am very pleased with my changes. What do you guys think?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #98
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I am down to 169 Days to go!!!!!!

I had a brief moment of insanity where I decided we were going to do a Disney cruise instead of going to Disney World. I know....pure craziness. I had actually called an cancelled the trip. I panicked when I got home that night and spent about 1 hour on the phone with Guest Services rebuilding my reservation. The good news is that they were able to save it. I am back at the Movie Resort in a preferred room....and we are back to the Deluxe Plan. I think I have all our reservations lined up. I will post tomorrow with the current line up.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #99
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Wow!! Where have I been? I missed a lot!

Birthdays, resort changes, pudding, dining changes, tractors, more dining changes, Bronies, vacation flip-flops, gas grills, and resort reinstatement.

Did I get it all???? What do I win??
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #100
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
Wow!! Where have I been? I missed a lot!

Birthdays, resort changes, pudding, dining changes, tractors, more dining changes, Bronies, vacation flip-flops, gas grills, and resort reinstatement.

Did I get it all???? What do I win??
Ding Ding Ding You are the Winner!!!!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #101
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I am pretty sure I am going to change my dates. With Free Dining coming out for September it seems like too good of a deal to pass by. I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can get the deal. If everything goes as planned my new dates will be September 25th - October 1st!!! I have already lined up the reservations in hopes that this will work out. Fingers crossed when I call tomorrow!!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #102
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I did it...I changed the dates!! We are now going September 25th - October 1st and we are staying with Free Dining!! It is going to save us about $400 with the switch.

Last night I made the switch with my airfare with the new dates. I am now able to fly in and out of Portland!! That alone is worth making the switch. We are leaving at 6 AM and will arrive in Orlando at 10:30 AM. It is like we gained a whole day. I was nervous all night because I was afraid if the switching didn't work out than I wasn't sure if I would be able to get my original flights back.

This morning I was ready to call right at 7:00 AM. The first call I heard a message that they were having technical difficulties and I hung up. I called right back and got the same message and almost hung up again but then heard some Disney music and decided to hang on.

I went about my morning getting myself and Gabrian ready for work and school while I was on hold. It was very awkward trying to get dressed and stay on hold at the same time. At least it was really fun music to listen to while I was waiting.

After about 20 minutes I started to get nervous that I wasn't really on hold and was just in limbo somewhere. I tried to call on my cell phone several times but the call wouldn't go through it all. Now I was really nervous plus I was getting nervous that I was supposed to leave the house at 7:40 in order to make it to work on time.

At 7:30 I realized there was no shot at all that I was going to make it to work on time and I definitely wasn't willing to hang up at this point. I went online to see what other people were doing and found out that everyone was in a similar predicament. Apparently they were having routing problems and a lot of people were ending up in dining and told to call back in 30 minutes.

7:35 my call was finally answered by....Dining . I was so upset that all that waiting was for nothing. The CM was very nice and took my information and offered to get me over to Customer Service.

I waited another 10 minutes on hold and was able to get to the next CM. She confirmed that there was free dining and said it shouldn't be a problem to switch. She struggled for quite awhile until she admitted that she couldn't open up my reservation. She had to get me to another CM!

Another 5 minutes on hold and I got to the final CM. She was able to open my reservation . I asked to me be switched to a standard room and then upgrade to the Regular Dining Plan. I also added another day to our passes so that we now have 6 days of parks.

It took her awhile but she was able to get everything switched over. I requested a Herbie Room because Gabrian would love to be in the building with the Car on it. She was really interesting to talk to. She was saying how the CM's came in early today knowing it would be a high call volume day.

So overall it wasn't too bad of an experience...although a little nerve wracking. I have started working on reservations and post once I have them finalized.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #103
1000HappyWishes
I know every mile will be my worth my while.

Tell your son that I give him a Brohoof from a fellow Pegasister! Plus, he got a Doctor Whooves Shirt! That's like, the best pony ever! Especially since it's based off DOCTOR WHO. You official gave your son the best birthday ever, in my opinion!

WDW: 2001, 2003, 2013
Disneyland: 2007
Universal: 2013

Last edited by 1000HappyWishes; 05-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.
1000HappyWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #104
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000HappyWishes View Post
Tell your son that I give him a Brohoof from a fellow Pegasister! Plus, he got a Doctor Whooves Shirt! That's like, the best pony ever! Especially since it's based off DOCTOR WHO. You official gave your son the best birthday ever, in my opinion!
Thanks!!! I will definitely pass it on!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #105
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Wow! Lots of big changes! Sounds like your trip just got 100% better, if that's possible! Free dining, resort updates, better flight times, You are the master!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: