Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
StitchsGurl
Former WDW Cast Member

Quote:
I opened your TR because I loved the title, and was there that week, only to be all She was reading mine a while back! to then see the shout out! AH! Thank you! Its an honour to be up there with Jess and Kristen!! Haha!

Im here to read along! Also, we have so many favorites the same!! Yay!

Man, the advantage of driving yourself is getting awesome pics of the sign as you drive under it, you just cant do that on the ME! Ugh, I love it when the CMs say welcome home it really is home, like, its one of those places that I get homesick for when Im in Calgary baha!

Those rooms look amazing! I didnt know they were re doing them, I cant lie, the Contemporary never really has that much of a pull for me, minus the theme park view at Bay Lake Towers *sigh*. Love the Mickey pillows!

Im gonna guess you guys took off to Magic Kingdom! Super excited to read more!! Yay!

Yay welcome aboard, Katt! I'm really glad you decided to jump in and join!

I'm glad you loved the title - I thought it was only appropriate, seeing as how they did sing that before their boy band medley.

And yes, we do have a TON of the same favorites. FESTIVAL OF THE LION KING FTW~

It WOULD have been awesome to get a picture of the sign this time (that picture I provided, my Dad took last year) but my camera was hiding out LOL.

Hahaha whenever I stay at a hotel, I get a bit sad when the employees don't say "Welcome Home" to me, not going to lie.

We didn't know they were re-doing the rooms either until we walked in, so it was quite a surprise to us as well. A nice surprise, though, for sure.

Your guess, very very unfortunatley, didn't come true until the next day, so you'll just have to stay tuned and find out!~

Quote:
Joining in! OMG those pillows are so cute! They need to sell those.

WOW, what an awesome view! I am hoping our view is that great over at Bay Lake Tower! I seriously can't wait to stay there!

And welcome aboard!~ It's so nice you joined in!

I KNOW! The pillows are the most adorable things ever ... I was like to my Mom: "I wonder if they'd notice if that one just sort of somehow ended up in my suitcase going home? Like how'd that get there?" But yes, I agree 100% that they need to sell them!!

I hope the view will be just as beautiful at BLT! In fact, I'm SURE it will be!

Quote:
I am here from twitter, just like I said! I love that you went for two days, because Hello, how can you be that close to Disney and not go?! I stayed I the contemporary in 2011 and my room didn't look like that! When did they rehab the rooms? I stayed on the fourth floor as, well, but on the other side of the hall!

Are you going to Contempo Cafe?!
And welcome to the trip report! Thank you for joining!

Hahaha, that's EXACTLY how we told my Dad, who's not much of a Disney fan. If I'm two hours from Disney, I'm going. And yes, maybe I did stomp my foot, once or twice.

I'm going to assume they started rehab on the rooms late last year, maybe? I haven't stayed at The Contemporary since March last year, so I actually haven't a clue. As I said, it was such a surprise to us as well!

And, you are TOTALLY right on your guess of Contempo Cafe! Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Day One Part Three: In Which Our Night Involves Souvenir Shopping, Resort Hopping And Dole Whipping

So by this time, our stomachs were growling, in dire need of some food. Naturally, we headed down to the fourth floor, straight to one of my favorite places on property, The Contempo Cafe.

Mom got a flatbread cheese pizza, and I had a chicken ceasar salad. I actually love the salads here - I prefer the breadcrumbs on top, rather than the traditional crutons. It gives it a different flavor, and it makes me happy, so it's the best of both worlds.

We decided to take our food upstairs and sit on the balcony and just stare at the castle. Plans changed when I noticed the chairs out on the balcony were all wet, so we stayed inside, but still stared at the castle. Thank goodness for the huge glass doors.

I took no food pictures, I'm sorry, I suck, I know.

After we ate, we finally decided to get going. But not without a stop at the gift shop downstairs. Backstory time.

Last time we were at Disney, which was in December, I saw the most beautiful Disney pillow ever. It was brown/beige-ish in color, and on one side it said Be Our Guest, and on the other said it was black and said Tale as old as time on it. I found it late one night in the New Fantasyland, but figured I didn't want to carry it out with me, I'd just pick it up the next day.

Well, the next day was our final day, and we went to check on the pillows so I could pick one up ... and lo, and behold, they were all gone. I was so disappointed, as I really loved that pillow. I should have bought it when I saw it.

Fast forward to this trip: my goal was to find that pillow. And you know what? I ... FOUND IT!!!! And, funny thing, it was literally in every shop we went into. But I bought it this first night, to avoid having the same disappointment happen again.

And this is what it looks like:

(Image courtesy of http://www.allears.net)

So, this was the first, of many purchases, of the night. But I was extremely thrilled to finally have the pillow. I was actually breathing such a sigh of relief that night.

After I got exactly what I wanted, we headed towards the monorail. It was time for some resort hopping!!!

Shortly after we headed up the escalator, a monorail had arrived. And away we went!

We went past the TTC, and ended up at our second favourite resort, The Polynesian.

I just LOVE the smell of the Polynesian, I could literally just sit in the lobby and not move for 8 hours. Someone can also bottle that smell up, please and thanks.

We didn't linger around the upstairs shop too long after getting off the monorail, as we had yet another destination in mind. Can you guess?

If you said GETTING A DOLE WHIP, then you're absolutely correct.

Let me make something very clear: I hate pineapple. I despise it. But, the Dole Whip that we had this night was the PERFECT blend of vanilla and pineapple, and I actually loved it. I've always loved the orange and vanilla over the original Dole Whip, but this trip changed it for me. I will now always get the original. And I still hate pineapple, fyi.

ANYWAYS. I love that at the Polynesian, they have their own Dole Whip machine. WHERE CAN I GET ONE AND CAN I PUT IT IN MY ROOM PLEASE? And, they give you a small cup, but since you fill it up yourself, you can overflow it as much as you'd like.

Exhibit A:

OVERFLOW!!!!

It was absolutely delicious, and creamy and perfect and flawless and I really want one right now.

We sat outside of Captain Cook's, and watched as a bird tried to steal a little girl's french fries. She kept saying "No" but the bird clearly has no understanding of the meaning of the word no. He wouldn't leave her alone. Thank goodness he didn't bother us. I would have been furious.

After about 25 minutes, we headed inside towards our next destination: The Bou-Tiki! I love this shop, and I had a particular shirt in mind that I wanted to purchase. I saw it last time (and refer to backstory) and didn't buy it, so this time it was a must!

We started looking around, and then it immediatly caught my eye. I tried it on, fell in love, we got married, and ... no, just kidding. But I did fall in love with it, though, and I DID buy it. I know better now.

Here's the shirt:

PERFECTION AT ITS FINEST.

After I was successful at finding two things I really wanted, we said Aloha and Mahalo to the Polynesian, and made our way to our next stop.

AND WE'RE OFF!!!!!

Our next stop was, of course, The Grand Floridian. I LOVE this resort as well, I think it's so classic, elegant and timeless. And beautiful.

We just started wandering around, not really looking for anything in particular, looking in some of the shops, and then I heard the most spectacular thing.

THEY WERE PLAYING BEAUTY AND THE BEAST AND I SEE THE LIGHT IN THE GRAND FLORIDIAN LOBBY. And I almost died. It was spectacular. It literally gave me chills.

After flailing in the store (no I really did flail though!), my Mom and I just wandered around outside, and stumbled upon the new pool feature, The Mad Hatter's hat, which I thought was super cute. It fills up with water, and then when it's overflowing, it spills out and dumps water right over your head!

And I missed it every.single.time it was tipping over. What gives?

So, once we were finished, we headed back inside, and out towards the monorail.

We made it to the Magic Kingdom station, and yes I almost did want to run right out the doors and into the park, but I knew we'd be there in the morning.

We sadly waved goodbye to The Magic Kingdom, and we were on our way back "home"

We headed down on the escalator (where a young child was literally right on my rear end - I guess he didn't realize you don't have to stand so close. His father said "Move back" and the kid was like "Nah, I'm good" Umm, but I'm not good. Haha.)

Up to the room we went, with purchases in hand. We watched the new castle projection show (which I CANNOT wait to see in person, not from the 11th floor) and we watched Wishes. I cried, typical.

We called it an early night as we had a magical place to visit in the morning.

Coming Up: The Original Boy Band Sings Songs They Never Sing

Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Awe omg Dayna I love it!!! This is gonna be the most exciting Tr ever for me because it has someone in it I know I love that!!!i can't wait to hear more n it seems you are a big fan of Beauty n the Beast so am I it's my fave Disney movie ever!!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Dayna, you're making me jealous. My dream resort to stay in is The Contemporary. When I went as a kid with my parents, we always went there. Of course, we never stayed there, but we always went there so it'll always be a special place to me.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
katt789
DIS Veteran

Aw man, so close with the guessing, I keep forgetting about dole whips at the poly! Nice resort hopping on the first night though!! What were your travel dates??

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

Dole whips are my fave!! And cute merchandise!

Follow me on twitter: @beachphotog
And on Instagram: smk31
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Ahhh we always do a monorail resort tour every trip! It is a tradition that we visit each resort, so I loved that you did that!

I love both the Polynesian and Grand Floridian; they are both wonderful resorts. I have fond memories from our honeymoon of staying at the Grand Floridian; it was absolutely amazing. I love when they play music in the lobby and little girls in their princess dresses dance around... It is too cute!

Celebrate the Magic is AMAZING. Seriously. I can't wait to go back and watch it again!

Looking forward to more updates!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi there Dayna! I love the excitement and enthusiasm of your 1st TR! We were at the CR/BLT in late Feb too! Your renovated room is wonderful! Those throw pillows are so cute. I'm following along with this one!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
deedee86
Earning My Ears

joining in!

i know what you mean about that outlet mall ALWAYS busy. we got there early one morning and still had to drive around looking for a space

cant wait to hear about the rest of your trip

Dee

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: