Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
mikneyspackson
Mouseketeer

Smile What is it that makes you love Disneyland Paris more than any other Disney resort?

Everyone here clearly has a soft spot for DLP more so than the other resorts and parks worldwide. It is the only one I have ever been too and that's mainly due to cost but I still love it with all my heart.
Whether it's cost or atmosphere or magic. Whatever the case be, please tell me what makes DLP so special to you that you'd rather visit here than any other. I'd love to hear what you have to say
Let's make this a long thread!
mikneyspackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
ManCityMickey
There's one striker money can't buy.

I love it because it is the one that I can take my kids to!

Like any other parent, I want my kids to be able to experience the things that I wasn't able to when I was young.

I couldn't afford to take them to Florida, so Paris is ideal for us.

ManCityMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
TexasMouseFan
Mouseketeer

I cannot wait to read everyone's replies. We are going to DLP for the first time this summer. I would love a list of not to be missed items. TiIA
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
mikneyspackson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityMickey View Post
I love it because it is the one that I can take my kids to!

Like any other parent, I want my kids to be able to experience the things that I wasn't able to when I was young.

I couldn't afford to take them to Florida, so Paris is ideal for us.
Aw have you been to Florida at all and how do you think it compares with the "magic"? All I'm concerned about is that magic I swear haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMouseFan View Post
I cannot wait to read everyone's replies. We are going to DLP for the first time this summer. I would love a list of not to be missed items. TiIA
Me neither! I hope you have an amazing time!
mikneyspackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
LunaMini
Believing is just the beginning...

I've not had the privilege to visit any of the other parks but I do love DLP.
It is the first place I remember going on Holiday with my family (it didn't happen very often due to parents work commitments and the amount of animals we have)
I love the fact that my parents head back every 5 years for their wedding anniversary.
I'm a huge Disney fan and DLP is just full of all the magic that I love from Disney and I don't need to hide my love of it all!
Each time that I've been the CM's have always been very friendly and cheerful, last year one even tried to persuade me to go and work out there (if I didn't have a horse and a full time job I'd certainly go for a few months!)
October 2010 - Magical Mini Adventure - Hotel Cheyenne
July 2012 - Magical Mini Adventure - Hotel Santa Fe
March 2014 - Birthday Treat - Disneyland Hotel!
LunaMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

For me it is because it's the most beautiful theme park in the world and more importantly every easy to get to, only 2 hours and 40 minutes from London by train.

Disney went to town with Disneyland Paris, they learned from the mistakes made in Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom in WDW and created in my opinion the perfect park. The attention to detail is fantastic, when you look and touch a piece of wood in DLP it is a piece of wood. And the same with the castle it's actually made out of stone (well concrete) not fiberglass like all the other Disney castles.

DLP is a true European theme park too, it's not just a French park but one that appeals to visitors from all over Europe. The rides are good too and it's so nice to find such a good range of restaurants in a theme park, something which is impossible to find in the UK.

Finally Mickey Mouse is there too!
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Disneyfanswicklow
Disney Fanatic!

I love how close it is for us to travel to, then when you get there how easy it is to navigate around - its very compact. I love the magical touches every where and the wonderful attention to detail. I love the onsite hotels have stayed in them all except the Cheyenne and love that you can walk to the Parks in minutes - the lake route is particularly pretty to walk to the parks by!

Jo Olivia
Disneyfanswicklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

I'll start by saying its not my favourite resort.

*But* it's still a Disney resort and stil wonderful.

It's had the most beautiful castle and Main Street and Fantasyland are stunning. Also being that much newer there are a few rides that are better than the American counterparts.

Most importantly I can get there in 2 hours for £60. So that's what makes it favourable as Florida/California is a big expense and we're very lucky to have a taste of Disney so close to home.

That being said DLRP doesn't have hardly any of the extra magic that makes us love WDW so much, so although we'll be revisiting to see Ratatouille when it opens our money will be saved for trips to the US parks in future.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

I much prefer Florida if I am honest and have been lucky to go a dozen times, it's where I will always want to go.
However, we just find for a few reasons DLRP suits our needs better at the moment.
Our son seems happier in Paris, doesn't have the humidity, long flights and more to cope with plus is better suited by a week's holiday than a long haul one of 2 weeks or more these days. The cost of going to WDW is also getting out of hand, and with his special needs in mind we have to cater for his happiness and we have had a few issues on Florida holidays with him.

We have only been to DLRP 3 times, 2 of which we went out of peak season but when the weather was pleasant and found a good offer on the Disneyland Hotel. We find it less stressful and a very enjoyable relaxing holiday.
It's the combination of staying at the DLH, having reasonable weather and the Disneyland Park so closeby that makes the holiday work, I think Joshua gets a comfort from familiarity and knowing the park is just a couple of minutes from the room means we can enjoy more time there, late in the day he will go for his shoes letting us know he wants to go out (he cannot talk), whereas isolated in a Kissimmee villa 30 minutes from the parks he would be less keen.
I suppose the milder climate overall suits him more, whilst we have wonderful Florida memories with him, he seems calmer and happier at DLRP.
It's also nice to be able to go out for a drink etc and not have to drive. You feel you are almost staying at the park itself here, the rooms are fab, the staff are helpful and friendly plus the breakfast is very good too. It feels special staying there.

Personally once away from the hotel or main park I just don't get that buzz or feeling of magic in the air. However, Joshua seems to love it and has such a good time, I can't stress how much the lovely hotel and main park so near is a benefit to us, it's what makes the holiday special.
So much so that to be honest I wouldn't want to go there unless we stayed at the DLH, especially as have been able to get significant savings when we have been there, I don't particularly like either the Studios or the Disney Village at DLRP ( I would go as far as saying I really dislike the Village), but the combination of the DLH/Disneyland Park and touch wood some nice weather seems to suit the boy.
It's also nice popping on the train to a nice mall and outlet store just a few minutes away.

The fact everything is close together is a big plus point, the Disneyland Park is easily as good as WDWs Magic Kingdom, I just think the rest falls a little short.
Having said all that, we have had a great time each visit and the boy loves it there.

Last edited by JohnnySharp2; 03-04-2013 at 02:55 AM.
JohnnySharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

You are right, everything at DLP is within easy walking distance where at WDW buses and monorails are needed to get you around the resort.

IMO DLP is great for a short weekend break to a weeks holiday. WDW is great for a two week holiday.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

I don't know that I really have a favourite Disney park as there are aspects that I love (and not love so much) at all of them.

However surely no one can dispute that Disneyland Parc really is the most beautiful of all the Magic Kingdoms and that the Imagineers really did get it right here.

After visiting WDW first I was extremely worried that I wouldn't feel the magic at DLP but I'm glad to say that we've experienced it on every visit.

There's no way we can afford to go to WDW every year, it's not just the money but also the time, but DLP being so close gives us the opportunity to enjoy Disney holidays in between the US trips.

This summer we're off to Disneyland in Anaheim for the first time and I'm very much looking forward to it. I envisage that this will be our last family holiday (hmm sure I've been saying that for a couple of years now ) and once it's just DH and I, I can see us visiting DLP far more often. Especially if I don't have to book kennels way in advance for the dogs, it'll be woo hoo fancy a weekend away? and we'll be booked on the next flight! We'd never be able to do that for any other Disney park.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Ms Poppins
I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk

I haven't been to any other Disney resort so not qualified to say it's 'better'.

I love DLP for all the reasons others have said, including the size, being in a Disney bubble when staying on-site and the beautiful castle.

Mostly though, I think I love it because it brings back loads of wonderful memories of past visits from when our kids were small and just watching their astonished faces.

I just love being there - no need to go on rides, walking up Main St seems so familiar. Love the music.

We've not been since last May and I'm really missing it, don't have anything booked yet.....hopefully we'll manage back this year sometime.
Ms Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
adr2.8i
Back from the magic....and now hooked!

DLRP is not my fav disney park but like most people in the uk and europe, its just the ease of getting there. and whilst its not cheap, its a darn site cheaper than Florida!

my wife and i have both been to florida twice and we count ourselves very lucky. we had 2 glorious holidays there before the kids came along, but to go there now, would cost us about £5000 and thats without spending money or food! the only way we could afford it now is to save and dont have any breaks for the next 5 years! We dont have a lot of money to save, so each visit to DLRP is a 2 year penny pinching excersise to afford to take the kids there.

my kids love DLRP. ive told them about florida but to them, france is where mickey and minnie and buzz and woody and jessie and all the princess' live. and as long as they believe in that magic then thats good enough for us. we have been to DLRP twice and both times have been absolutley magical.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
disneykid123
Mouseketeer

DLP will probably always be my favourite because I've spent so many magical childhood years making my best memories there. I went to Florida when I was 9 in 2006 and it was a brilliant holiday but I've always just felt that DLP is my home resort. I feel like I'm entirely safe there and it's just my happy place!

I feel now like I've done everything there but then each time I go I end up finding loads of new things hidden which I never would have picked up on without looking at all the detail (cough hidden mickey hunt cough) Besides, I've never stayed in the Castle club before at the DLH- looking forward to June! and I've never even been close to Sequoia Lodge, Santa Fe, New Port Bay Club or Davy Crockett's ranch..

I love the traditions that my family have made in these parks. Almost every day we get a fastpass for big thunder mountain and head straight to Fuente Del Oro for churros and a hot chocolate. Our first stop on a trip is always POTC .. the list of little things we do is never ending!

So although I've been elsewhere, I can't imagine anywhere else being so perfect

disneykid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
sky13
Mouseketeer

Disneyland Paris isn't my favourite Disney resort, but I still love it!

Convenience: it's so easy to get there for me - 5 hours door to door! And there is a TGV/RER station right next to the parks - which makes getting there (and going elsewhere) so incredibly convenient! Such a change from the US parks where you need a shuttle service or car to get to the parks from the airport (or to get from the parks to the city, etc).

Cost. It's not too expensive to get there from the UK. Also, the admission prices (with online offers or an AP) are much more reasonable than the US parks - I paid about the same for my Dream AP at DLP as I did for a 3 day park hopper in Disneyland Anaheim last year...

And the cost/convenience means I can afford to go for a weekend break, which means I can choose when I want to go - such as during the Christmas season!

Disneyland Paris also has the most beautiful of the Magic Kingdoms. The castle is simply stunning (and used to good effect in Dreams). The theming is incredible too!

Disneyland 1993 1995 2012 : Tokyo Disneyland 1996 : Walt Disney World 2001 : Disneyland Paris 2007 2008 2012 2013 : Hong Kong Disneyland 2010
sky13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, disney world, disneyland, magic, resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: